Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

$3.5 Mil?

Started by jep_hog_fan, March 17, 2011, 07:20:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jep_hog_fan

Is that what Shawn and Wally said they were going to offer MA? I believe the exact phrase was within $100,000 of CBP. I'm sorry, he's not worth that. If you're throwing that much loot, throw it to Bill Self or even Pitino.

jep_hog_fan

My uncle was driving through KY and Nashville areas today and said all the sports talk shows said we were looking at Pearl as soon as they're knocked out. God I hope not.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on March 17, 2011, 07:20:49 pm
Is that what Shawn and Wally said they were going to offer MA? I believe the exact phrase was within $100,000 of CBP. I'm sorry, he's not worth that. If you're throwing that much loot, throw it to Bill Self or even Pitino.

Completely agreed..... if thats true im a little dumbfounded

tusksincolorado

Totally agree....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HF#1

No way in hell..  That would be financial suicide for the basketball program.  If that's the case you better be able to fire him for nothing and he better be willing to continue practicing in BWA.  I don't care what the boosters are giving, we should not be paying a basketball coach that. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 17, 2011, 07:27:42 pm
No way in hell..  That would be financial suicide for the basketball program.  If that's the case you better be able to fire him for nothing and he better be willing to continue practicing in BWA.  I don't care what the boosters are giving, we should not be paying a basketball coach that. 

If we want some of the names that are mentioned on here we better be willing to pay that.

If we hired say, Bill Self, every single game at BWA would be a capacity crowd and we would become THE team to watch in the SEC.
Is that worth 3.5 mil? Bet your ass it is...

Uca_Hog

No way, we wouldn't even come close to paying Bill Self that.

hogfanpreachaman

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on March 17, 2011, 07:22:41 pm
My uncle was driving through KY and Nashville areas today and said all the sports talk shows said we were looking at Pearl as soon as they're knocked out. God I hope not.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NO Pearl!!!!! 

31to6

I am a big Mike fan, but that's just insane given the rumors that he also wants a 7-year contract.

mmhogs17

hamARchy in the USA

If the U of A is determined to return to the national scene, the idea that MA is even being considered for the job is absurd and that's without taking into account the baggage that his supporters foist upon him.  And if figures like $3.5M are being tossed out then it appears someone is just getting a good laugh.

One thing all the MA talk does do is make the other less-than-elite coaches that are alleged to be in the mix look a lot better.

PoormansRobbyHampton

I guess it's a good thing that we're willing to open the checkbook, but that's a rich contract. I think Calipari is the highest paid coach in college basketball and I think he barely makes $4 million. I like Mike and despise Calipari, but Cal knows how to recruit.

OKCHawg

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 17, 2011, 07:43:18 pm
I guess it's a good thing that we're willing to open the checkbook, but that's a rich contract. I think Calipari is the highest paid coach in college basketball and I think he barely makes $4 million. I like Mike and despise Calipari, but Cal knows how to recruit.
For that amount you better get more than Mike Anderson.

hoglady

Quote from: CallThemHawgs! on March 17, 2011, 07:30:16 pm
If we want some of the names that are mentioned on here we better be willing to pay that.

If we hired say, Bill Self, every single game at BWA would be a capacity crowd and we would become THE team to watch in the SEC.
Is that worth 3.5 mil? Bet your ass it is...

Agreed - but Mike Anderson is no Bill Self.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

moses_007

Since the U of A is determined not to hire any coach with NCAA recruiting or other violations, that clearly eliminates Bruce Pearl.  Dangit, he's a great coach though. 

RedyorNot

There must be some good green smoke on the Hill...just sayin

moses_007

Mike is reportedly only making $1.5 million at Mizzou, so no way Arkansas would give him a $2 million raise.  I would say Mike might be offered around $2 million tops. 

rizzohoghead

I don't see the 3.5 maybe more like 2.5 .. If we pay him 3.5 then we need to give Petrino another raise...

bleedhogred

I believe that the only way to get a Home run hire is too pay the kind of money we are talking about here. I would not think MA is deserving of that amount. But if any way possible...break the bank for a Bill self, Rick Pitino ( now available to talk ) lol. Mike is a good coach also, but with the history...not really his fault, but still there, not as easy to unite the fan base. If he doesnt win fairyl big quickly....the tide would turn ugly quick. I dont think the fans would want to give him much time.  Heres to hoping we pull in the big fish....but trying to be realistic. Pelphrey did help me get much closer to the court, ha ha ;)
First rule in life....Trust no one but your mother and keep an eye on her!

Hog Fan...DOH!

BWA made $14mil+ in revenue last year.  That's with 2/3 capacity crowds, and a program that's been in the dump for 10 years.  This year, BWA produced even less.  We produce more profit as a baskebtall program than Kentucky.  http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/18/news/companies/basketball_profits/index.htm

You get a guy that can come in here and energize the fanbase... you better believe you can pay whatever you need to pay. 

moses_007

Quote from: bleedhogred on March 17, 2011, 07:53:43 pm
     I believe that the only way to get a Home run hire is too pay the kind of money we are talking about here. I would not think MA is deserving of that amount. But if any way possible...break the bank for a Bill self, Rick Pitino ( now available to talk ) lol. Mike is a good coach also, but with the history...not really his fault, but still there, not as easy to unite the fan base. If he doesnt win fairyl big quickly....the tide would turn ugly quick. I dont think the fans would want to give him much time.  Heres to hoping we pull in the big fish....but trying to be realistic. Pelphrey did help me get much closer to the court, ha ha ;)

I expect this year you could have gotten a ticket up in the rafters and walked down and got a front row seat from all the empties I saw. 

Wild Bill Hog

Mike is the Godchild.  We need to pay him more than Petrino.  Petrino loses games sometimes.

jep_hog_fan

March 17, 2011, 08:00:58 pm #22 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:23:47 pm by jep_hog_fan
I don't think the University could handle another bout with Nolan several years down the road IF Anderson doesn't work out and we have to fire him.

moses_007

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 17, 2011, 08:00:51 pm
Mike is the Godchild.  We need to pay him more than Petrino.  Petrino loses games sometimes.

Don't you think Mike will lose some games too?  All coaches lose games...even Coach K.

HeartlandHOG

Quote from: moses_007 on March 17, 2011, 07:46:36 pm
Since the U of A is determined not to hire any coach with NCAA recruiting or other violations, that clearly eliminates Bruce Pearl.  Dangit, he's a great coach though.
You got that right. He is an excellent coach!!!!! :razorback:

RD

Bill Self wants 4 million.

31to6

Hoggish1

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 17, 2011, 07:43:18 pm

and if he knew how to coach, he'd be untouchable.

RazorTexan

There is no way Shawn or Wally have any idea within 1.5 mil of what Anderson has been offered.  They are pulling those numbers out of their hiney.
Texan by choice, Razorback by the grace of God.

Democrats quit telling lies about the right and we will quit telling the truth about you

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: RD on March 17, 2011, 08:11:43 pm

If he'd come for $4M, I'd pitch in 5 figures.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: RD on March 17, 2011, 08:11:43 pm

Give it to him, I will have a $500 check in the mail for him tomorrow.

RD

We're not going to make him higher paid than Bobby Petrino and THAT IS why he isn't coming to Arkansas. Point period end of statement. All discussions of Self can now end.

big john

3.5 mil hell no they can get Bill Self for that kind money they out there mine,s.
john goodwin

Iwastherein1969

the question was asked by me, PA from Texarkana, today on the Shawn and Wally show whether or not the checkbook was going to be open for this hire.....I specifically asked that of Wally....Wally's reply was this.."Long cannot spend equal to or more than what the football coach is making"...then I replied, "you mean Jeff Long has the okay to spend 3.59 million per year on a coach" and Wally replied, "that's exactly what I'm saying"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Speedracer

No way you give MA 3.5 Mill.  That kind of money goes to people that have won a title.....with the exception of Callimari.  You offer 3.5, that means you're going top 10 coach in basketball.  I love MA, but no way.
Like smites bother me.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Speedracer on March 17, 2011, 08:41:33 pm
No way you give MA 3.5 Mill.  That kind of money goes to people that have won a title.....with the exception of Callimari.  You offer 3.5, that means you're going top 10 coach in basketball.  I love MA, but no way.
Wally told me that he KNOWS for certain that the only limitations that Jeff Long has as far as money goes, is that it cannot be equal to or exceed the head footbal coach's salary....which is 3.6 million per year
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

RD

They will not let Petrino be underpaid vs the basketball coach. So end this Self dream.

Sivad

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on March 17, 2011, 08:00:58 pm
I don't think the University could handle another bout with Nolan several years down the road IF Anderson doesn't work out and we have to fire him.
Well if they hire Anderson, they better put their lawyers on notice, get out their checkbooks again, and get ready.

Hogeration

I want Mike but not for 3.5.

HatfieldHawg

No bball coach is worth that.  I would rather pay more to Petrino. 

Blue35

MA is not worth it. Leave him be.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: moses_007 on March 17, 2011, 08:04:13 pm
Don't you think Mike will lose some games too?  All coaches lose games...even Coach K.

The fires of Hell will take you for even suggesting a coach with a 53% conference winning percentage could ever be defeated if he became coach of the Razorbacks.

GuvHog

Quote from: Blue35 on March 17, 2011, 08:51:16 pm
MA is not worth it. Leave him be.

Ab.....so......lutely! Good grief they can get Frank Martin for 2.5 and Gregg Marshall for even less!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Cramalot

No way Mike is worth that kind of money. Maybe half that.

1highhog

March 17, 2011, 09:03:38 pm #44 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:05:50 pm by 1highhog
For all of you saying you would pay money to help pay the $4 mil. to get Self hired as Coach must not be Football Fans, just Basketball Fans.  There is no way in the World the UofA should pay a Basketball Coach more than Coach Petrino, ever!  The Football Program brings in the Majority of the profits and IMO, nobody should come in and automatically make more than our Head Football Coach!

I think we can do a Homerun hire for 2.5 million, I may be wrong, but there are a-lot of Coaches out there not making even near that, MA being one of them.  Tubby Smith I don't think is making that, how about Coach Turgeon?  I bet we could get him here for $2.5mil.

I can donate in the 5 figure range, but come hell or high water if I will give that just to pay a BBall Coach $4mil and have him making more money than our Football Coach, that rubs me the wrong way and if I was Petrino, I would be doing a double take.

No1Hog27

If give $2 - $2.5 million, he would come.  $3.5 is too much.

GuvHog

Quote from: No1Hog27 on March 17, 2011, 09:04:15 pm
If give $2 - $2.5 million, he would come.  $3.5 is too much.

Actually it's been said that he wants 3 million a year and a 10 year contract.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TxArky

Quote from: Uca_Hog on March 17, 2011, 07:32:47 pm
No way, we wouldn't even come close to paying Bill Self that.

Bill Self is already making around that on his 10-year contract that he signed a couple of years ago. So, it would cost more than that to get him to come, especially when you figure in the buying out his contract at KU

RD

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 17, 2011, 09:06:03 pm
Actually it's been said that he wants 3 million a year and a 10 year contract.
7 years is now the talk GUV, get your crap straight.

jep_hog_fan

To all you people saying they shouldn't pay a BB coach (Self is the only one) higher than Petrino, Self has a ring, Petrino doesn't. Even with that said, when you doling out that kind of bucks, what's another million to Petrino?