Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

$4,000,000 per

Started by Dominicanhog, March 16, 2011, 12:42:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominicanhog

If the PTB or "Big Money"  that was so determined to get rid of Pel would just put up the funds and start talking about Big Time Coaches, maybe we could get what everybody really wants.  IMO there are only a few that will not be a gamble.... they include in order Izzo, Petino, Self, Dixon & Few.  Any of these names would fill seats and win games.

Petrino's salary would then have to be adjusted but you get what you pay for.

In the end we probably settle for a coach on the rise and spend less than $2 mill.

Boston RedHogs

I agree we need to be willing to pay for a qualified, proven coach, but no way $4M is in the cards.

I can't see any way we would pay a bball coach more than we are paying Petrino.  Petrino has earned every dime and has shown loyalty to UofA.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on March 16, 2011, 01:10:02 pm
I agree we need to be willing to pay for a qualified, proven coach, but no way $4M is in the cards.

I can't see any way we would pay a bball coach more than we are paying Petrino.  Petrino has earned every dime and has shown loyalty to UofA.

I agree and that's why it would have to be increased.... also, it's going to cost that much, maybe a bit less, to get the homerun hire everybody wants especially the names I mentioned, but I doubt it will ever happen.

RazorNick

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 16, 2011, 04:35:09 pm
I agree and that's why it would have to be increased.... also, it's going to cost that much, maybe a bit less, to get the homerun hire everybody wants especially the names I mentioned, but I doubt it will ever happen.

How much are you willing to donate?

Dwight_K_Shrute

You could pay a new coach 3 mil and not even need any donors to step up.  Say 8k seats per year at $25 per game that $200,000 per game not including concessions.  Say 15 home games per year would net 3 mil  20 would get us 4 mil.  Pel's salary was in the 1mil range so we would still come out 1 to 2 mil ahead minimum in annual revenue just from ticket sales.  The money is there just like it was for BP.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hog-fan-back-in-Arkansas on March 16, 2011, 04:37:24 pm

I give $500 to both the annual fund and the Walton School of Business, but I'm not a PTB and didn't think we should have fired the one we had.  How about you?

RazorNick

I agree we needed a new coach.

ArkansasI

No doubt.  If I had the type of money that all of us dream about, it would still be real hard for me to donate ridiculous cash to ensure the success of my favorite basketball program - especially if I wasn't getting to pick the coach.

I realize that empty seats/lost revenue come into play some, but if all of the additional revenue from these things are spent on the coach, then the university hasn't really gained anything... except a good basketball team.

These matters should be considered carefully.  The stewardship of major donor dollars is a delicate matter.

HawgTide

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 16, 2011, 12:42:47 pm
If the PTB or "Big Money"  that was so determined to get rid of Pel would just put up the funds and start talking about Big Time Coaches, maybe we could get what everybody really wants.  IMO there are only a few that will not be a gamble.... they include in order Izzo, Petino, Self, Dixon & Few.  Any of these names would fill seats and win games.

In the end we probably settle for a coach on the rise and spend less than $2 mill.
Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 16, 2011, 12:42:47 pm

Self is the best coach on that list.Mark Few is overrated IMO and shouldn't be mentioned with those coaches.

linuspfs

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on March 16, 2011, 04:45:32 pm
Self is the best coach on that list.Mark Few is overrated IMO and shouldn't be mentioned with those coaches.
yeah.  I didn't think he fit either.  especially throwing around that 4 mil  figure
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

press ham

just eat more chicken.

chicken nuggets, buffalo chicken wings, tequila lime wings, leg quarters, whole chickens, breaded chicken strips...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: linuspfs on March 16, 2011, 04:46:28 pm
yeah.  I didn't think he fit either.  especially throwing around that 4 mil  figure

he would be the cheapest of the bunch by far.... and is a several notches below them but better than most of the other names I've been hearing.  BTW and I know it was't your comment ... Compare Self and Izzo's record and MSU ain't KU when it comes to heritage.

beebefootballfan

What makes you think they haven't?
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

mmhogs17

People have their wallets out ready to pay a big name. Its just on Jeff Long to go get one.

jcul28

I heard that Coach K and Roy Williams make like 2.2 and 2.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: jcul28 on March 16, 2011, 06:30:14 pm
unique situation like Jo Pa , to buy a new one will cost alot more.

moses_007

Quote from: jcul28 on March 16, 2011, 06:30:14 pm

Of these two, I perceive that only Williams could be lured away.  Coach K might not leave for $1 billion a year. 

High Octane Hog

I am just going to assume that not all of us on this board are millionaires. Money isn't everything. Most of us just want a good and secure life for our family. So if you are a coach that has made say 2 mil for the last say 10 years, exactly how much money do you need? Remember these guys are coaches, not ceo's of fortune 500 companies nor wall street hedge fund executives trying to make a "mark" with money. Most of them want just what the average Joe wants.

3kgthog

Hog fans will help pay for a winner. Get the big deal done and watch us rally.

HogsNeedMojo

Quote from: moses_007 on March 18, 2011, 12:27:32 am
Of these two, I perceive that only Williams could be lured away.  Coach K might not leave for $1 billion a year.

He's not going to leave his alma mater, that's his dream job according to him!

1highhog

I have stated on another thread I would donate 5 figures toward a new Coach, but it would have to be one I felt good about, Self I would love to have, but not at $4mil a year.  Make that any BBall Coach at $4mil a year.  We can get a homerun hire for way less than that IMO and I totally disagree with the notion of bringing in a Coach and him making close to what Coach BP is making, Coach BP is now working on his 4th year, and for a Coach to step in and start making close to what he is would be a slap in the face, I would rather close the BBall Program than lose what we have going we Coach BP now, he has shown loyalty and that he's willing to take this team all the way, I don't want nothing to get in the way of that.

We cah hire a good BBall Coach in the range of $2mil and under.

M L (bassplayer)

Quote from: RazorNick on March 16, 2011, 04:37:24 pm

For real. I love all these folks saying we should open the vault for "big time". Crap, I'm still digesting the increase just to keep our family football seats.