Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"2008 Seniors the laziest class"???

Started by HogLove, December 11, 2008, 11:07:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogLove

I am shocked that someone in a recent thread made the comment that last year's team was the "laziest" team we have seen.  I believe this class was one of the nation's top 10 recruiting classes!  Here are some general thoughts (take them or leave them)...

*  5 of the 6 seniors are playing professionally (all of which are making between $60,000-$450,000/season).
          - Sonny for Denver Nuggets
          - Steven for OKC Thunder
          - Darian for Poland
          - Charles and Vincent together for, I believe, Germany???

*  Obviously, they were underdeveloped by two coaches that didn't have what it took.  Apparently, professional level coaches and scouts didn't seem to think they were too lazy. 

*  The 2008-2009 Team -- THESE ARE PELPHREY'S RECRUITS!!!  This is the kind of talent he brings in!!!  Period.

*  Pelphrey's Discipline -- Did you ever think that the reason these players are being suspended is because they have been doing things that are UNHEARD OF!  That they are getting into MAJOR trouble???  Obviously, he didn't feel that the 2008 seniors deserved this type of punishment!

Like I said, take it or leave it, but I feel like we should be looking at the ENTIRE picture instead of what we want to see.  We should be thankful that last year's class did what they did and did it with some integrity.  As for this year, they're doing alright so far...I would wait until SEC play comes around though.

razorhead94

Laziest may be the wrong term, but I would say they are one of the most underachieving bunch i've ever seen.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

returntoglory

I think they were lazy. You are dead right in saying look at their stars. They had great rankings, and never did crap with them. I think that proves that they didn't play up to potential. That is a mixture of poor coaching (although I love Stan's attitude) and laziness.

Had they played up to potential, we would have seen sweet sixteen appearances, sec championships, and a few more nba prospects.

Lazy does fit.  When its mid 4th qtr and your uniform isn't damp with sweat, that says a lot.  Underacheiving is another term that fits.  The best thing about that team was the team photo.  They looked like BB players.  They never jelled as a team, never appeared to care for more than a few minutes at a time andnever all of them in that same few minutes.  Uusally you had 2 players giving all out effort at any one time. 

kimjongsqUeAl

December 11, 2008, 12:52:38 pm #4 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:58:13 pm by kim_jong_sqUeAl
I don't think they were too lazy they were just not very talented.  They certainly underachieved as a team and individually.  The last SEC Tournament was exciting and I thought those seniors would go out on a high note like Casey Dick.  Then they played the GA Bulldogs......to this day I still ask myself, "WTH??"  So they had a chance to prove themselves but the f'ed that up big time in the end.  That particular SEC Tournament run summed up the entire college career of those seniors.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

returntoglory

Talent wasn't the problem. As already mentioned, those players had plenty of stars. Townes was great last year. His talent was there, he just was lazy his first three years. Thomas was a beast his fresh/soph years and then just faded into oblivion. Steven Hill has all the potential in the world, but would pull down four boards and have six points. That is ludicrous for a seven footer. Ervin had potential and showed it at some points, but overall was a disappointment. Vincent Hunter is the exception, he really didn't have talent.

cdclark09

Wasn't Ronnie part of that class too?  I maybe mistaken though.

la20688

Quote from: HogLove on December 11, 2008, 11:07:32 am
I am shocked that someone in a recent thread made the comment that last year's team was the "laziest" team we have seen.  I believe this class was one of the nation's top 10 recruiting classes!  Here are some general thoughts (take them or leave them)...

*  5 of the 6 seniors are playing professionally (all of which are making between $60,000-$450,000/season).
          - Sonny for Denver Nuggets
          - Steven for OKC Thunder
          - Darian for Poland
          - Charles and Vincent together for, I believe, Germany???

*  Obviously, they were underdeveloped by two coaches that didn't have what it took.  Apparently, professional level coaches and scouts didn't seem to think they were too lazy. 

*  The 2008-2009 Team -- THESE ARE PELPHREY'S RECRUITS!!!  This is the kind of talent he brings in!!!  Period.

*  Pelphrey's Discipline -- Did you ever think that the reason these players are being suspended is because they have been doing things that are UNHEARD OF!  That they are getting into MAJOR trouble???  Obviously, he didn't feel that the 2008 seniors deserved this type of punishment!

Like I said, take it or leave it, but I feel like we should be looking at the ENTIRE picture instead of what we want to see.  We should be thankful that last year's class did what they did and did it with some integrity.  As for this year, they're doing alright so far...I would wait until SEC play comes around though.
And your point is?

HOGSWEAT

The 07-08 hogs had the talent to make a deep tourney run...  they lacked the discipline. Thats being lazy. They are all great guys and they all stayed out of trouble... That doesnt mean they werent a little lazy.

Razorvet

They had the tenth overall SOS and got 23 wins. Thats not terrible. I would like to see what would have happened differently had they won that SEC tourney.

Corkscrew Johnson

I agree, "lazy" isn't the correct term, because those guys cared about winning and wanted to do well.  Which they should be applauded for.  But there was something missing with that crew.  The passion wasn't there.  Watching that group of towers fail to rebound, box out, elbow, dive for loose balls, etc drove me crazy.    No Derek Hoods, no Clint McDaniels.  Those are the guys you HATE to play against because they play so d*mn hard.

I remember Nolan running up and down the court screaming obscenities about Jason Jennings' mom just to get him to play with intensity.  That's what I always thought about when watching these guys get out-hustled...the a-hole that Nolan would be ripping them for being so soft. 

HOGSWEAT

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 13, 2008, 04:53:50 pm
I agree, "lazy" isn't the correct term, because those guys cared about winning and wanted to do well.  Which they should be applauded for.  But there was something missing with that crew.  The passion wasn't there.  Watching that group of towers fail to rebound, box out, elbow, dive for loose balls, etc drove me crazy.    No Derek Hoods, no Clint McDaniels.  Those are the guys you HATE to play against because they play so d*mn hard.

I remember Nolan running up and down the court screaming obscenities about Jason Jennings' mom just to get him to play with intensity.  That's what I always thought about when watching these guys get out-hustled...the a-hole that Nolan would be ripping them for being so soft. 

Kinda sounded like you described the term lazy? haha

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: cdclark09 on December 11, 2008, 02:53:34 pm
Wasn't Ronnie part of that class too?  I maybe mistaken though.

Ronnie was a year older than that bunch, I do believe.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.