Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey @ Batesville Hog Bash

Started by "Pickled" Pig's Pete, July 19, 2007, 09:18:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Coach Pelphrey, along with Chuck Dicus and Reggie Herring were in Batesville tonight for the annual Hog Bash. 
While Coach Pelphrey isn't the most dynamic speaker I have ever heard, I sensed a great deal of sincerity and honesty in his words.

The most interesting thing to me was when someone asked him if he thought the "fans had a right to expect national championships".  He answered by saying that there were just a few schools that had everything required to be in a position to win every game and Arkansas was one of those schools.  He said that in the minds of our opponents, we're the biggest game on their schedule, and that we need to be prepared for that.  He said we can compete in the SEC, and that a team that can compete in the SEC can compete nationally.  He wrapped it up by saying (paraphrasing) that there is no way to predict when it would happen, but that our fans have the right to expect national championships.  He also went on to say that if he wasn't up to the challenge, he wouldn't be here.

Folks, whether you want to believe it or not, we hired a winner.  I'm ready for basketball season!!
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

coach, my back hurts

He repeats himself alot too.  Thats about the 5th time i've heard him say that if we can compete in the SEC, we can compete nationally.  Nothing wrong with him repeating himself, he probably isnt a good public speaker and i could honestly give a rats a$$ if he is.  I'll judge him by what his teams do on the court.  I like his enthusiasm though.  He seems very passionate about what he wants to do.  And i believe we hired a great one also. 

I'm not expecting National Championships and Final4's each yr.  I just want a team that plays hard.  We havent had one in 5yrs.  If he can recruit well, there shouldnt be any reason why we arent in the NCAAT every yr and expected to win a game or 2.  If he can CONSISTANTLY do that, i'll be satisfied.  Advancing to the Elite8 and further has alot of luck involved.  Maybe one of those seasons we get lucky ;D

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

He didn't say it, but I got the impression that anything less than a NCAA tournament appearance each year isn't acceptable to him.

He did say that we (as fans) can expect to get his best each and every day, and that he expects the same from his players.  I think the days of half-hearted effort on the basketball floor are over.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

hview

I think in his system you either play hard or you don't play at all.

Corkscrew Dangler

Quote from: hview on July 19, 2007, 10:24:14 pm

I agree.  And I foresee a butting of heads between him and a certain PF/C

Breems

Like any system should be.

Quotehe probably isnt a good public speaker and i could honestly give a rats a$$ if he is

Same here, Hitler was a good speaker  :o

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Jayhawg

Let's see now, "He repeats himself alot too" (I wish he'd say something different), BUT what I want is more "CONSISTANCY"????
Quote from: coach, my back hurts on July 19, 2007, 09:52:34 pm
He repeats himself alot too.  Thats about the 5th time i've heard him say that if we can compete in the SEC, we can compete nationally.  Nothing wrong with him repeating himself, he probably isnt a good public speaker and i could honestly give a rats a$$ if he is.  I'll judge him by what his teams do on the court.  I like his enthusiasm though.  He seems very passionate about what he wants to do.  And i believe we hired a great one also. 

I'm not expecting National Championships and Final4's each yr.  I just want a team that plays hard.  We havent had one in 5yrs.  If he can recruit well, there shouldnt be any reason why we arent in the NCAAT every yr and expected to win a game or 2.  If he can CONSISTANTLY do that, i'll be satisfied.  Advancing to the Elite8 and further has alot of luck involved.  Maybe one of those seasons we get lucky ;D

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: ImissBrewer on July 19, 2007, 11:41:01 pm

Like any system should be.

Quotehe probably isnt a good public speaker and i could honestly give a rats a$$ if he is

Same here, Hitler was a good speaker  :o

houston nutt is also a good speaker

rocksalt

This year will be exciting, and he is just getting started.
It's a Mother-In-Law defense - Constant Pressure and Harrassment.   J. Pelphrey

We are on the "Highway to Hellphrey"...  "40 minutes of Hellphrey" !      Hogfans

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on July 19, 2007, 09:52:34 pm

I didn't take the above as a criticism, given your comments that followed.  Having said that, I'd like to make the point that if you were to follow ANY D1 coach on the spring/summer "rubber chicken" circuit, you would probably be able to step up and give the speech for them after the fourth or fifth time.  In other words, the ALL give basically the same speech and use the same quotes for these things.  To be fair about it, it is probably the first time 98% of the folks in their audience has heard them speak, so it is "new" to them.

snoot hoggy hog

coach, my back hurts

I tell you one thing.  I hope he repeats himself about 30 times or so this yr.  Something to the tune of......

"our guys were focused all week and it showed on the court tonight"

"we really emphisized(sp) being tough on the boards and i think we did a great job of that tonight"

"we knew that if we stuck to our game plan, we were going to make it very hard on them"

"I told our SR's that we were going to need them to step up and lead this team through the tough times and help get us through the close games".  "The SR's couldnt have done a better job of that today".  "I am very proud of them for their efforts"

I will hope and pray that he repeats some of those above, or variations of the ones above.  If he does, it will be a great season. 

Like i have said before.  I want to see a team that gives maximum effort.  I would rather watch a 10-20 team that has players diving 5 rows into the stands and have cuts and bruises all over them, than to watch a 20-10 team that so badly underachieves it makes you sick to think what they COULD have been.

jackflash

I don't care if is a speaker, I care can he recruit.

chiefsfan

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on July 20, 2007, 09:43:48 pm
I tell you one thing.  I hope he repeats himself about 30 times or so this yr.  Something to the tune of......

"we really emphisized(sp) being tough on the boards and i think we did a great job of that tonight"

"we knew that if we stuck to our game plan, we were going to make it very hard on them"

I wouldnt say that,  Ive heard Dickey Nutt say this on many occasions here at ASU, and 60 percent of those, are still losses
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 21, 2007, 02:34:18 pm
Quote from: coach, my back hurts on July 20, 2007, 09:43:48 pm

I wouldnt say that,  Ive heard Dickey Nutt say this on many occasions here at ASU, and 60 percent of those, are still losses

Hahaha!  Thats funny.  I guess that is also typical "coach spin" when they lose ballgames too. 

However, i believe that when, or if, Pel says some of those things.  It will be because we won.

I hope anyways.

slopinhogs

he has high praise for a team he has never seen a mimute of 5 on 5 with yet.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die