Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cubs

Started by lefty08, May 04, 2015, 07:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 23, 2015, 12:56:10 am
Just give big Jake the Cy Young now. I think he's proved he deserves it. He's had a great season.
I still think Grienke is the front runner, but it will be one of the best Cy Young races in a long time.  Grienke is throwing up a season ERA not seen since Bob Gibson while Arrieta is having one of the most dominant stretches ever seen and is quickly closing in on Grienke's ERA.  If Grienke has one bad start down the stretch while Arrieta maintains his dominance, I think Arrieta sneaks in and wins it.

pigture perfect

Greinke's going to miss his next start and Jake is pitching better currently. I just think the voters will consider how you finish the season in a 2 horse race. I also believe the human element will give it to him because he plays for a better team..
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

dhornjr1

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 23, 2015, 08:18:43 pm
Grienke is throwing up a season ERA not seen since Bob Gibson while Arrieta is having one of the most dominant stretches ever seen

I assume you weren't around in 1985 when Dwight Gooden had the best post-Gibson '68 season ever when he went 24-4 with 268 strikeouts and a 1.53 ERA in 276 2/3 innings with 16 complete games and eight shutouts.

And speaking of dominant stretches, the Cardinals' John Tudor in the same season went 21-8 but he started 1-7 and after the first of June went 20-1 with a 1.37 ERA in his final 210 innings to finish with a 1.93 ERA in 275 innings, 14 complete games and ten shutouts.

He gave up 32 earned runs in that stretch of 210 innings. He had four complete game shutouts in September alone, including a 10-inning 1-0 victory at Shea Stadium.

That's dominance.

popcornhog

Arrietta is amazing. What a game tonight. Just sick.
WPS

ucahogfan

Quote from: popcornhog on September 27, 2015, 10:09:35 pm
Arrietta is amazing. What a game tonight. Just sick.
We are going to see that Cubs / Orioles trade back in 2013 on the most lopsided trades list for a long time.  That only happened because the Orioles tried to alter Arrieta's cross fire delivery while the Cubs embraced it.

pigture perfect

Sometimes you have to embrace oddities in baseball. I remember Arizona tried to alter Craig Councel's ugly batting stance. Didn't work.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 28, 2015, 07:59:53 am
We are going to see that Cubs / Orioles trade back in 2013 on the most lopsided trades list for a long time.  That only happened because the Orioles tried to alter Arrieta's cross fire delivery while the Cubs embraced it.

I was just talking about this with a friend from Baltimore the other day. 100%.

This Cardinals/Pirates series is gonna be huge. Frankly, we don't have a starter that I'd want to put up against Arrieta in a one game series. That said, I like our starting rotation against the Cubs starting rotation over the course of a series, even without Carlos Martinez.

Must win series against Pittsburgh starting tonight as the lead is at 3 games.

Tonight Lynn v Happ is fairly even matchup.

Tuesday Wacha v Morton is a must win for us. Wacha has struggled in recent games.

Wednesday Lyons v Cole is the one that we may have to concede.
WPS

hog.goblin

A very exciting end to the race in the Central, that's for sure.

Bigfoot

Jake Arrieta finishes strong.

He finished his regular season Friday with six scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 0.41 since the start of August. That's the best in that span since ER became official in 1913. Every other pitcher's ERA with at least 10 starts was more than twice as high.

pigture perfect

Crazy that most pitchers are getting weaker as the season goes.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Bigfoot on October 03, 2015, 07:19:27 pm
Jake Arrieta finishes strong.

He finished his regular season Friday with six scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 0.41 since the start of August. That's the best in that span since ER became official in 1913. Every other pitcher's ERA with at least 10 starts was more than twice as high.
One of the most dominant stretches ever and I think it carries him to the Cy Young even though Grienke deserves it more.  He put together one of the most dominant seasons in a long time which is what the award is about.  Grienke, Arrieta, and Kershaw are making this Cy Young race one of the most memorable ones we have seen.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 04, 2015, 03:12:08 pm
One of the most dominant stretches ever and I think it carries him to the Cy Young even though Grienke deserves it more.  He put together one of the most dominant seasons in a long time which is what the award is about.  Grienke, Arrieta, and Kershaw are making this Cy Young race one of the most memorable ones we have seen.

I don't think you can argue Grienke deserves it more.  But I agree you could argue it could go either way and it would be a fair decision.

They are basically in a statistical tie when it comes to WHIP and ERA, with very slight edges to Grienke.  Arrieta has 3 more wins, 36 more strikeouts, 3 more complete games, and 3 more shutouts.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 04, 2015, 09:44:01 pm
I don't think you can argue Grienke deserves it more.  But I agree you could argue it could go either way and it would be a fair decision.

They are basically in a statistical tie when it comes to WHIP and ERA, with very slight edges to Grienke.  Arrieta has 3 more wins, 36 more strikeouts, 3 more complete games, and 3 more shutouts.

hog.goblin

The wild card game isn't supposed to count in the Cy Young voting, but it will, and Jake just won it if he hadn't already.

CabotHog87

I was so ecstatic last night that my Cubbies finally won another playoff game! Arrieta was brilliant. What makes the win sweeter is that we get a chance to knock off the Cardinals now.

Obviously, we're throwing Lester in Game 1. If he wins, I'm assuming we'll go with Hammel or Haren in Game 2 and save Jake for Game 3 at Wrigley? If we lose Game 1 do you think we pitch Jake in Game 2 with the mentality that we absolutely can't afford to go down 2-0?

popcornhog

Quote from: CabotHog87 on October 08, 2015, 05:05:58 pm
I was so ecstatic last night that my Cubbies finally won another playoff game! Arrieta was brilliant. What makes the win sweeter is that we get a chance to knock off the Cardinals now.

Obviously, we're throwing Lester in Game 1. If he wins, I'm assuming we'll go with Hammel or Haren in Game 2 and save Jake for Game 3 at Wrigley? If we lose Game 1 do you think we pitch Jake in Game 2 with the mentality that we absolutely can't afford to go down 2-0?

I was wondering the same thing. He'd be on 3 days' rest which is absolutely doable and he'd be able to go again in a potential game 5. Tough call.

The Lackey/Lester matchup will be very interesting tomorrow night.
WPS

CabotHog87

Quote from: popcornhog on October 08, 2015, 06:16:05 pm
I was wondering the same thing. He'd be on 3 days' rest which is absolutely doable and he'd be able to go again in a potential game 5. Tough call.

The Lackey/Lester matchup will be very interesting tomorrow night.

Well, looks like we left Haren off the roster. I guess since he plans to retire? Anyway, looks like Hendricks in game 2 and Arrieta in game 3 so I was partly right. But I still think if we lose tonight then Maddon is going to have a tough call to make.

popcornhog

Quote from: CabotHog87 on October 09, 2015, 11:51:24 am
Well, looks like we left Haren off the roster. I guess since he plans to retire? Anyway, looks like Hendricks in game 2 and Arrieta in game 3 so I was partly right. But I still think if we lose tonight then Maddon is going to have a tough call to make.

I agree with 100%, although we seem to be in the minority.

Frankly, I pray to God that doesn't happen. I DO NOT want to face Arrieta twice. He's been as good as any pitcher I've ever seen over the last three months. The movement is just sick and he seems to be able to put it exactly where he wants to. Nearly every pitch.
WPS

popcornhog

You guys scared the hell out of me tonight. Especially when Rosie put runners on the corners in the 9th.

Gonna be an electric series. I'm just glad Arrieta had to start in the play in game.
WPS

TheRazorback500

Lester hasn't gotten much support this year. Postseason offensive woes continue. Lackey pitched a great game.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Bigfoot

I'm thinking this is a must win game for the Cubs today.

Would be nice to even the series at 1-1 and head back to Chicago with Arrieta taking the mound in game three.

popcornhog

Quote from: Bigfoot on October 10, 2015, 08:00:26 am

Would be nice to even the series at 1-1 and head back to Chicago with Arrieta taking the mound in game three.

Do you don't think there's any chance Maddon starts Arrieta today?
WPS

Bigfoot

Quote from: popcornhog on October 10, 2015, 08:25:46 am
Do you don't think there's any chance Maddon starts Arrieta today?

Hendricks is scheduled to start today.

Bigfoot

I think Maddon has confidence in Kyle Hendricks right now.

Hendricks closed the season by throwing 12 shutout innings over his last two starts.

Hopefully he can carry that over to today.

4Lions04

Quote from: Bigfoot on October 10, 2015, 08:00:26 am

I'm with you. A split is necessary and then hopefully Arrieta will put us up 2-1.  2-0 is a huge hole to climb out of, especially against the cards. 

Bigfoot

Huge win.

Good to see some runs today.

hog.goblin

Yep, huge win, good run production

Ready to see post season baseball in Wrigley

Dr. Starcs

I'll go out on a limb here and predict wacha out-duels arrieta Monday.

TheRazorback500

I like Soler; he'll put up monster numbers if he can stay healthy. Lots of exciting young talent that doesn't seem to want to wait until next year and a manager like Maddon makes them dangerous at home. I like their chances to advance to the NLCS.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

popcornhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 10, 2015, 09:57:18 pm
I'll go out on a limb here and predict wacha out-duels arrieta Monday.

I hope and pray you're correct, but I think the Cubs may have beaten us last night.

Cardinal nation tips our collective hat to you, Cubs. Well played and ahead of schedule.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 11, 2015, 07:50:10 am
I hope and pray you're correct, but I think the Cubs may have beaten us last night.

Cardinal nation tips our collective hat to you, Cubs. Well played and ahead of schedule.

If there's one thing I learned in 2011 it's that it's not over until it's over. Baseball is a funny game like that.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on October 11, 2015, 02:45:38 pm
If there's one thing I learned in 2011 it's that it's not over until it's over. Baseball is a funny game like that.

Very true. But we're way behind the eight ball right now -- the Cubs are in a great position in this series. You have to respect what they're building.

Honestly, if they beat us I'll slide into a severe depression, but I'll pull for them to win the whole thing.
WPS

DiamondHogFan

Is today the day?  I really don't want it to go to game 5, all momentum back to St. Louis at that point.

Arrieta was off last night, but our sluggers (and the wind) were enough.  6 HRs...geez.  Going to be a wild afternoon at Wrigley today.

Go Cubs Go!  Fly the W!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

dacskc

Congrats from a Cards fan! Cubs fans are some of the most loyal fans in all of sports. Glad you finally get rewarded (even if it is as the expense of my Cards).

Hopefully we will get to watch an Arrieta/Keuchel matchup soon. That would be good baseball.

95_alum

Cubbie08

popcornhog

Well the next 173 days are going to be very difficult waiting for baseball season to come back, but congratulations. Well deserved and long awaited for the Cubs.

Maddon has done a great job in short order.

I look forward to seeing the Cardinals put the Cubs back in their rightful place next year, but for now -- congratulations on the series win and good luck in the NLCS.
WPS

95_alum

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: popcornhog on October 13, 2015, 07:34:50 pm
Well the next 173 days are going to be very difficult waiting for baseball season to come back, but congratulations. Well deserved and long awaited for the Cubs.

I look forward to seeing the Cardinals put the Cubs back in their rightful place next year, but for now -- congratulations on the series win and good luck in the NLCS.
The NLCS again?  Thanks!  ;)

hoglady

Quote from: dacskc on October 13, 2015, 07:12:40 pm
Congrats from a Cards fan! Cubs fans are some of the most loyal fans in all of sports. Glad you finally get rewarded (even if it is as the expense of my Cards).

Hopefully we will get to watch an Arrieta/Keuchel matchup soon. That would be good baseball.

The Astros have a tall order tomorrow after that heartbreaker yesterday.
Haven't decided whether the youth of the Astros helps them or hurts them in coming back after blowing that game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Congrats to all the Cubs fans on the board!!
It doesn't get much more exciting than this.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hog.goblin

How sweet it is.  I can't decide if we want the rest by waiting for Mets/Dodgers to play game 5, or if it would be better to keep playing while we are hot.

ChicoHog

Nice job Cubs.  As an avid Cards hater I was glad to see you beat them.  I hope my Dodgers can pull it off in Game 5 Thursday and meet you in the NLCS.  Hopefully Arrietta will be human again like he was Monday.  That guy had the best second half ever. 

Dropkick

Quote from: popcornhog on October 13, 2015, 07:34:50 pm

I don't think the Cubs are stepping back anytime soon. The amount of young talent on that team is sick!

McKdaddy

Congrats cubs fans.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

popcornhog

Quote from: Dropkick on October 13, 2015, 10:43:27 pm
I don't think the Cubs are stepping back anytime soon. The amount of young talent on that team is sick!

No doubt. Just a light hearted attempt at keeping my dignity.

I honestly feel bad for the Reds and Brewers. The Cubs, Pirates, and Cardinals are all set up for success over the next few years.
WPS

bob slydell

From a lifelong Cardinals fan, you guys have a very, very good team. I won't even use the qualifier of 'young'. I really look forward to the NL Central races for the next few years! Congrats and good luck the rest of the way. I'm actually kind of rooting for you to break the curse.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: popcornhog on October 14, 2015, 12:47:16 am
No doubt. Just a light hearted attempt at keeping my dignity.

I honestly feel bad for the Reds and Brewers. The Cubs, Pirates, and Cardinals are all set up for success over the next few years.
One of those three teams needs to flip to the AL.  The way it all set up in the WC game was just an injustice to the season the Pirates had.

These should be 3 division winners.

popcornhog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on October 14, 2015, 08:45:56 am
One of those three teams needs to flip to the AL.  The way it all set up in the WC game was just an injustice to the season the Pirates had.

These should be 3 division winners.

Would've been:

Cardinals v WC (Dodgers/Mets)

Pirates v Cubs

if ther world were fair. But it is what it is. Good luck the rest of the way. Well deserved. God, I can't wait until Spring Training.
WPS