Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annual conference expansion talks heat up - Big 12, SEC adding teams?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 05, 2012, 04:03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hornkiller on May 21, 2012, 10:13:27 am
Forget NC State, it's Duke that the Tar Heals want to keep around. In the football world it's a non-factor. But negoitating basketball rights with Kentucky, Duke and North Carolina in the conference? That is an untapped well ready to spew....

They didn't have anything nice to say about Duke, either.  I realize, it's an internet message board, but I was still pretty surprised.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

JULIA

About Notre Dame, are their only realistic options the B1G and Big 12? Im a little surpised that the Pac 12 and even the SEC (even though ND is not interested in the SEC) arent being mentioned as conferences that are pursuing them. Arent they the so called "big prize?"
THIS S*** IS BANANAS! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

JULIA

I hate how football greed is running this, and sports like softball, volleyball, and maybe even baseball are being put in the back burner. Same goes with geography. I mean Im sure the athletes from Florida State would hate to travel to Iowa State for a softball game. Same can be said about K-State baseball going to Clemson. Its like these schools are just worried about money and football, and not the other athletes of other sports.

JULIA

I mean just last year the big 12 was hoping they would not collapse. Now, they are promoting the collapse of the ACC?

online-with-swine

Quote from: JULIA on May 21, 2012, 11:11:27 am
I hate how football greed is running this, and sports like softball, volleyball, and maybe even baseball are being put in the back burner. Same goes with geography. I mean Im sure the athletes from Florida State would hate to travel to Iowa State for a softball game. Same can be said about K-State baseball going to Clemson. Its like these schools are just worried about money and football, and not the other athletes of other sports.

Thing is football pays for most of the other sports.  Arkansas is unusual that we have 3 self supporting sports in football, basketball and baseball.  Most of the time it's football that allows for the other sports to even exist.  So, I can understand needing to maximize football profits.

Hornkiller

Quote from: JULIA on May 21, 2012, 11:02:36 am
About Notre Dame, are their only realistic options the B1G and Big 12? Im a little surprised that the Pac 12 and even the SEC (even though ND is not interested in the SEC) arent being mentioned as conferences that are pursuing them. Arent they the so called "big prize?"

The SEC with so many traditional powers would mean Notre Dame would be another name along with Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia etc...  By joining the Big XII Notre Dame is among the Big Dogs on day one. I don't see the SEC feeding their Irish ego. On the other hand given for the last few years Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and even Baylor were looking for a place to land if OU and or Texas were to bolt would greatly appreciate the stability and allure Notre Dame brings to the table.

As far as the Pac-12 even though Commissioner Scott has seemed to be his own man logic detects that Pac-12 isn't going to piss off their master, the B1G. Going after Notre Dame would be like going after the girl your best friend has pined for since 2nd Grade. The Pac-12 just got their new cable network and their legs under them and sees the threat  of the SEC / Big XII partnership. No way their stepping on the B1G's toes on this one.

NWASooner

Notre Dame would never "sully" themselves by going to the SEC.  (Their view, not mine.)  Besides, the SEC probably wouldn't let them keep their NBC deal.  The Big 10 definitely wouldn't so that's a non starter.  The ACC would be good fit for them but the ACC is taking on water.

That leaves the Big 12 as the only and best option.  Now that Florida State and Clemson are in the fold, the Big 12 will probably bend over backwards to get Notre Dame in.  (Scheduling, letting Notre Dame choose who comes in with them, TV deals, etc., etc.)  They may just add Notre Dame and Georgia Tech and be done with it at 14.

Then, the SEC could add VTech and Maryland and the Big 10 could add UVA, UNC, NCState, and Duke.  That is, unless my ESPN conspiracy is true....

Hornkiller

Quote from: JULIA on May 21, 2012, 11:13:16 am
I mean just last year the big 12 was hoping they would not collapse. Now, they are promoting the collapse of the ACC?

The Big XII saw few tears shed for them as the moving vans rolled up in Linclon, Bolder, College Station and Columbia.  I think the Big XII got the message loud and clear in the new era of the Super Conference: Kill or be Killed, join or die, move forward or get the heck out of the way.

The Big XII has no leverage on the SEC, B1G or Pac-12. They got the only team of real value football wise from the Big East. They're going to go head to head with the ACC for teams away? Why not launch a full assult against them when you have Florida State and Miami whining about being in a basketball conference. If anyone sheds any tears are talks ill of the Big XII for doing so, they'd be a hypocrite.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hornkiller on May 21, 2012, 10:13:27 am
Forget NC State, it's Duke that the Tar Heals want to keep around. In the football world it's a non-factor. But negoitating basketball rights with Kentucky, Duke and North Carolina in the conference? That is an untapped well ready to spew....

NC would have more problems politically getting away from NCS than Duke. NC may want to separate from NCS in order to have the big brother syndrome. It may be more difficult for them than UVA against VT. Taking basketball into account isn't valid as it is barely a blimp on the radar in this realignment stuff. UVA to the Big 10 isn't as odd as you might think. There are several schools the Big 10 would possibly consider once everything is laid out. They obviously want ND but in my opinion they would settle on Rutgers, UVA or Maryland in some combination thereof.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on May 21, 2012, 08:04:47 am
If the ACC starts to fall apart and Slive's got a chance to land VT and UNC, he'll change his plans.

Agree. VT and UNC are imho the big prizes there if Clemson and FSU leave. To a lesser extent Maryland, NCS and UVA are right behind them prize-wise.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JULIA

I honestly do not think the ACC will die, they will add UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, USF, and maybe even UCF.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JULIA on May 21, 2012, 01:36:06 pm
I honestly do notthink the ACC will die, they will add UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, USF, and maybe even UCF.

If they lose FSU and Clemson and add any of those schools to replace them then they won't die but they will be sick.   

JULIA

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 21, 2012, 01:44:25 pm
If they lose FSU and Clemson and add any of those schools to replace them then they won't die but they will be sick.
Yeah, but they will have to do it.

Murr

Quote from: JULIA on May 21, 2012, 01:36:06 pm
I honestly do not think the ACC will die, they will add UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, USF, and maybe even UCF.
if acc loses FSU clemson and/or VT, they will have to reorganize as a basketball league inorder to maximize $$$.

Cbs' fischer has been tweeting this mournig that the SEC Network is close to starting up, CBS' tier 1 payout won't dramatically increase with the A&M/Mizz additions; they increase cable value/Tier 2 espn part.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on May 21, 2012, 08:12:32 am
I think you're right.  The big question that's out there in my mind is how loyal UNC is to Tobacco Road.  If UNC's in play, everything's up for grabs--it'll be the signal to all of the ACC teams that it's every man for himself.  I can see UNC leaving NC State behind, but it's harder to me to see them leave Duke behind. 

UVA to the B1G seems odd to me, but given the dwindling number of eastern teams to pick from, they'd have to get on the B1G's radar if the Cavaliers were looking to make a move. 

I think Florida State's done.  Too much chatter for them not to be burning bridges and packing bags, although you never know.  Clemson seems a natural pairing, but Georgia Tech makes good financial sense if you're looking at cable deals.  Might be a good way for ESPN to shoehorn the failing Longhorn Network into a new, large cable market.

The Big 12 might end up with ND now that the ACC looks like it's going to take a nosedive.

Question: Was Al Gore loyal to Tobbaco Road (where his family made their money) or did he say whatever it took to become VP and gain power, prestige, position and money?

Answer: These days, more money, more power, more prestige tends to overcome all things having to do with loyalty.

If offered a chance to secure their future and reap all the things mentioned above, they will bid their fond farewell's and bolt like a shot out of a cannon. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

JULIA

online-with-swine

Quote from: Murr on May 21, 2012, 01:57:45 pm
Cbs' fischer has been tweeting this mournig that the SEC Network is close to starting up, CBS' tier 1 payout won't dramatically increase with the A&M/Mizz additions; they increase cable value/Tier 2 espn part.

I think that is a point that is lost on some people.  The SEC can't gain much more out of the CBS deal as they only show1- 2 games a week.  ESPN can show more games (Thursday, Fri and multiple on Sat).  But, the big money gainer from our addition of Mizzou and AM was with potential for starting the SEC network.  That same logic applies to our next schools - Slive wants geography and footprints for the SEC network.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 21, 2012, 02:00:24 pm
Question: Was Al Gore loyal to Tobbaco Road (where his family made their money) or did he say whatever it took to become VP and gain power, prestige, position and money?

Answer: These days, more money, more power, more prestige tends to overcome all things having to do with loyalty.

If offered a chance to secure their future and reap all the things mentioned above, they will bid their fond farewell's and bolt like a shot out of a cannon. JMO

I think you're probably right.  The things they'll want to avoid is insecurity and a growing revenue gap between them and the schools in the football conferences.  I think playing bigtime college football is ultimately the only way to stay in bigtime college basketball; the money's just going to be too huge.

When the day comes, I think UNC will make a jump out of self-preservation.  They may hate to see it come to that, but they'll do what they have to do at that point.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Murr

Lots of chatter about big 12 going to 12.5 teams today.

Clemson and FSU with Notre Dame in all olympics sports with plan to be full member once contracts expire.

Chris Lowe says SEC is focused on VT.  #16 up in air. Probably trying for UNC but will take UNCS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Murr on May 21, 2012, 10:04:46 pm
Lots of chatter about big 12 going to 12.5 teams today.

Clemson and FSU with Notre Dame in all olympics sports with plan to be full member once contracts expire.

Chris Lowe says SEC is focused on VT.  #16 up in air. Probably trying for UNC but will take UNCS

I had heard that it was "limited" for football and the Big 12 has lost their mind if they allow ND to come without the full participation of football. Without football, what's the point? Just being able to say, "we have ND in our conference"? Olympic sports? Yeah, those generate a lot of money.

Just can't see it. Wait it out until the pressure grows on ND. I think they wind up in the Big1G anyway.
Go Hogs Go!

NWASooner

The Big 12 might be adding Notre Dame as a provisional member until their NBC deal expires.  Or they might add them until they can decide on who #14 would be.  Notre Dame might have to do it for the other sports depending on what happens with the Big East.

The Big 12 would do it because Notre Dame would have to play 3 or 4 games per year against Big 12 teams.  That's not a big deal because they're already scheduled to play Texas and Oklahoma in the coming years.

Either way, the provisional membership would probably only be temporary.

dooley

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 22, 2012, 06:06:43 am
I had heard that it was "limited" for football and the Big 12 has lost their mind if they allow ND to come without the full participation of football. Without football, what's the point? Just being able to say, "we have ND in our conference"? Olympic sports? Yeah, those generate a lot of money.

Just can't see it. Wait it out until the pressure grows on ND. I think they wind up in the Big1G anyway.

That would be one big, unwieldy, mess of a conference with no geographical or cultural connection to each other.  Everyone bound together for the sake of a television contract.  Sounds like a good plan. /sarcasm

99toLife

Quote from: dooley on May 22, 2012, 09:10:14 am
That would be one big, unwieldy, mess of a conference with no geographical or cultural connection to each other.  Everyone bound together for the sake of a television contract.  Sounds like a good plan. /sarcasm

I agree and it's one reason I hate these new Mega conferences...I miss the old days

Tim Harris

The SEC is the only conference that still has geography in mind and that could all change depending on who # 15 & 16 are.

Murr

Quote from: Tim Harris on May 22, 2012, 01:48:59 pm
The SEC is the only conference that still has geography in mind and that could all change depending on who # 15 & 16 are.

QuoteDavid Sandhop‏@HopWebsider

CBS public posturing to look strong in negotiations. Still hearing the numbers support $28-$35 MM per SEC team for tier 1/2. #gigem

Sources tell me FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 is very likely. SEC targeting UNC and either UVA or Virginia Tech. UNC is the prize.

Also reading Virginia Tech is "ready to go" if SEC calls; SEC waiting on FSU/CU to bolt to politically cleanse thier hands.  If VT is #15, the SEC could pressure and possibly grab UNC.  NC State and Maryland are the other options.  UVA has already contacted the B1G and don't seem possible.

Over the weekend, FSU and CU seem locks for #11 and #12 in the Big 12 with Notre Dame possibly joining as a partial member initially until their NBC contract runs out and then would join as a full member.  Being at 12.5 members has caused a stir as to who would be number 14 as OU's Boren promised last year that Louisville would have a spot and Texas' Dodds is fighting them publicly saying they provide no value to the conference. 

It appears the Big 12--SEC bowl game is being used to divide the carcuss of the ACC for these two leagues.  The start of public negotations with CBS and ESPN over TV rights is another bullet the SEC is using to lure teams.  TV wants a 9 game SEC schedule.  The SEC could negotaiate that and the SEC Network with per team payout projections with the current 14-team league and with 16-team league numbers involving a combination of VT, UVA, UNC, NCSU and MD.

Chris Lowe was on Finebaum the other day and said the SEC is looking at VT and possibly a team out west????? First time I've heard that.  Really, only SMU comes to mind; they could help solidify or reenforce the Dallas market.

Anyway, that's what I've read. :-P

online-with-swine

Team out west?  I have no idea who that would be.  SMU wouldn't be worth it.  An Oklahoma school doesn't seem likely, nor does Kansas since they have the grant of rights thing.  I would tend to think more East but who knows.  Maybe, OSU wants out of OU's shadow like AM did.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on May 22, 2012, 01:48:59 pm

The only conferences that are in a position to think from a geographical standpoint are the SEC and probably the Big Ten/Big1G and maybe the ACC.

With the defections that the Big 12 has had and where they are located, they have no choice but to go outside what would be considered relevant geographical boundaries to expand thier conference.

Same can be said of the Pac 12 unless they decide to allow teams like BYU, Boise State and Nevada to come in, which probably won't happen.

If teams start jumping from the ACC, that conference may start absorbing teams from the already unstable Big East which would help keep the ACC more of a regionally-correct conference. Could the Big East disappear completely?

Things are going to get pretty interesting this summer.
Go Hogs Go!

Tim Harris

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2012, 06:18:05 am
The only conferences that are in a position to think from a geographical standpoint are the SEC and probably the Big Ten/Big1G and maybe the ACC.

With the defections that the Big 12 has had and where they are located, they have no choice but to go outside what would be considered relevant geographical boundaries to expand thier conference.

Same can be said of the Pac 12 unless they decide to allow teams like BYU, Boise State and Nevada to come in, which probably won't happen.

If teams start jumping from the ACC, that conference may start absorbing teams from the already unstable Big East which would help keep the ACC more of a regionally-correct conference. Could the Big East disappear completely?

Things are going to get pretty interesting this summer.

I agree that we are the only in a position to do that and it appears we will continue that trend if we add someone from Virginia & North Carolina like it is rumored.  I prefer what we are doing to what the other conferences are doing.  I understand the reasoning behind it but don't like it.

NWASooner

NaturalStateReb

NaturalStateReb

NWASooner

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on May 23, 2012, 12:45:05 pm
This thing may be about to hit a whole new level of seriousness.

Then there's this.  Maybe someone from South Bend went on a golfing trip to Horseshoe Bay.  Or maybe it was for some other reason

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KDZB

Then there's this:

QuoteStill, Swarbrick was asked specifically if Notre Dame would consider the Big 12.

"I'm not going there," he said.

Swarbrick admitted he's close friends with new Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

"The conspiracy theories can really start now," he joked.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/19134246

Murr

some nuggets from the dude:

Quotevia twitter:
what is June 18th?
@thedudeofwv
@Wvuinsider It could be an announcement by the Big 12 about a scheduling deal with the SEC or something else of minor concern

From his blog:
Quotehttp://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/2012/05/house-undivided.html?showComment=1337798860210#c9019058814451286218
Musings...

The Big 12 will not expand (beyond 12) unless the teams add real value - think Georgia Tech and Notre Dame .

VPI and UNC have reached out to the SEC. In VPI's case it's more than reaching out.

I have to believe that if UNC goes to the SEC then NC State joining the Big 12 becomes a real possibility. Expansion to 16 fits within the Big 12 model if the teams would add value and teams like NC State and Maryland seem a good fit.
Obviously there was a much wider rift in the ACC between the football schools and basketball schools than anyone believed (see Andy Haggard's rant). Chuck Neinas, Oliver Luck and Kirk Schulz played that rift like virtuosos.

*I leave Miami out of the discussion because I believe they are no longer under consideration (by mutual consent).

NWASooner

The West Virginia blogger has been spot on about this for the past 4 months.  He called FSU and Clemson then.  What would be funny is if the Big 12 is using West Virginia as a go between due to West Virginia technically not being part of the Big 12 yet.  No interference.

I would suspect VTech ends up in the SEC in all of this.  The question is, who is #16?  Can you really break apart UNC, Duke, and NC State?  I don't know.  Somehow I think they end up in the Big 12 with UVA. 

Something else I can't figure out is Miami.  The Big 12 doesn't want them at all.  It's ironic that Tech's AD came from Miami and he's lobbying hard against them.  On the surface they'd be a great addition to either conference but their athletic department is a mess, they're under investigation, have terrible facilities, and have always been hostile towards athletics. 

Someone should give USF a look.  Growing school in a heavily populated and talent rich part of the country.  If they'd commit to facility upgrades, I might throw them a bone.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on May 23, 2012, 10:50:15 am
I agree that we are the only in a position to do that and it appears we will continue that trend if we add someone from Virginia & North Carolina like it is rumored.  I prefer what we are doing to what the other conferences are doing.  I understand the reasoning behind it but don't like it.

But, but, but, as I said, we are not the only ones. There are others.
Go Hogs Go!

Murr

MHver3 updates of the day:
QuoteUPDATE

They basically publicly humiliated our academics and yet-
GT may have an ally to get them in...a little leprachaun.
ND-as surreal as it seems-is so very close to signing on for all sports by 2016....its all going to come down to final format of the playoff.
ND really wants a GT or a Pitt or a BC to go along with them. If ND says yes-Louisville meet the ACC(academics be darned at this point).
For those keeping score:
11:FSU
12:Clemson
13:ND(?)
14:GT/MD/Pitt/BC/and then some

FSU has yet to inform Swofford of any official talks. They wont until they have all of their bases covered.

VT's future is going to be decided by CBS-this I am told is a FACT

oh and UNC is desperately trying to overtake NCST as the SEC's NC connection.
Will Slive use adding two more schools as leverage against CBS??
Thats the rumor

ESPN could have this blow up in their face if UNC bolts to the SEC/CBS

They may tell the B1G to act now

I think youve misunderstood what i posted.
UNC is trying to leapfrog NCST
VT would still be their choice as number 16
CBS will decide, one way or another, if the SEC expands
Q: My question is, how did the SEC not know the rough TV estimates BEFORE they added A&M and Mizzou?
It seems like the Big 12 is making every decision based on how much $$ it will add to the TV contract ... I would think that the SEC would do the same due diligence. Or was this a case of "ready, fire, aim"?
A: Because CBS isn't as forthcoming with tv information as ESPN and FOX are.
just a quick edit.
I said you could thank Baylor for miami not having the votes and I quoted my source erroneously. It should have been Texas Tech.
My apologies
7 [votes] currently needed
they had 5
What you are saying is true in a sense...but Tier1 money still stirs the pot the most. VT vs any of the top tier SEC teams is a huge match-up and don't underestimate the power of UNC basketball or adding 20 million people to your footprint.

MuskogeeHogFan

CBS will decide if the SEC expands? Baloney. Your source needs some checking.
Go Hogs Go!

NWASooner

Interesting.  My take:

QuoteFor those keeping score:
11:FSU
12:Clemson
13:ND(?)
14:GT/MD/Pitt/BC/and then some

If that's the case, #14 could be Texas Women's School for the Blind as long as it pulls in #13.  Out of those, I want GT.  It's a big city program and the new Big 12 is shaping up to be a big city conference, which I like.

VT's future is going to be decided by CBS-this I am told is a FACT
Q: My question is, how did the SEC not know the rough TV estimates BEFORE they added A&M and Mizzou?

I should post this in the other thread.  Missouri and A&M just aren't worth what some of the A&M fanboys on here think they're worth and Slive has realized that in the past few months.  Now, if he's going to add anyone, he's getting CBS's blessing first.  VTech's worth sill might not be enough to balance out Missouri's dead weight on a per school basis.  At least Slive is doing in right this time.

Quotedon't underestimate the power of UNC basketball or adding 20 million people to your footprint.

Exactly.  UNC would be a huge score.  However, can you separate them from Duke and NC State?  I don't know.  Maybe if NC State finds a spot to land in the new Big 12....

NWASooner

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2012, 07:07:50 pm
CBS will decide if the SEC expands? Baloney. Your source needs some checking.

The hell they will.  That tells me CBS isn't playing hardball about the A&M/Missouri money.  They're just not going to pay it and Slive has learned his lesson.  He got rushed into taking A&M and had to take Missouri to balance that out.  He should have done his due diligence and he knows that now.

BTW, that West Virginia source has been gold for six months now. 

Murr

Quote from: NWASooner on May 23, 2012, 07:12:09 pm
The hell they will.  That tells me CBS isn't playing hardball about the A&M/Missouri money.  They're just not going to pay it and Slive has learned his lesson.  He got rushed into taking A&M and had to take Missouri to balance that out.  He should have done his due diligence and he knows that now.

The WVU guys have been great this year.  I still think CBS is playing hardball and trying to move some things in thier favor.  I would love to see VT and UNC in the SEC.

The 247 Baylor guy supposedly is just as good if not better with info, but most of his stuff is posted behind a paywall.  I can only reference his stuff if I find some poster on another board giving the cliff notes.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NWASooner on May 23, 2012, 07:12:09 pm

Your normal response. CBS will enhance the package. You are the king of "links" and you know darn well that there are links out there that say that CBS will come up with the dough, they are just trying to play the part of the "tough negotiater" right now. They'll pony up to some degree, much to your chagrin....I know this is tough for you to watch happen. ESPN will come up with more dough. Cable will add even more.

Oh yeah, the SEC lost by taking Missouri and A&M from the Big 12 and the Big 12 won by taking WVA and TCU from the Big East. Keep telling yourself that. It will make you happy.
Go Hogs Go!

Murr

Quote from: NWASooner on May 23, 2012, 07:09:47 pm
I should post this in the other thread.  Missouri and A&M just aren't worth what some of the A&M fanboys on here think they're worth and Slive has realized that in the past few months.  Now, if he's going to add anyone, he's getting CBS's blessing first.  VTech's worth sill might not be enough to balance out Missouri's dead weight on a per school basis.  At least Slive is doing in right this time.
I would not be surprised if CBS was negotating who number 15 and 16 are as well as a 9-game conference schedule, conference semi-finals and a shot at the rights of the Big12vsSEC Bowl.

Murr

Quote from: NWASooner on May 23, 2012, 07:09:47 pm
Exactly.  UNC would be a huge score.  However, can you separate them from Duke and NC State?  I don't know.  Maybe if NC State finds a spot to land in the new Big 12....
Oldly enough, with the Dude's note about UNC talking to the SEC, NC State has been included in alot more Big 12 senarios. 

NWASooner

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2012, 07:25:19 pm
Your normal response. CBS will enhance the package.

They're already offering more money.  It's just enough to keep the member schools whole.  Why should CBS pay Arkansas more money because A&M and Missouri are in the mix?

Like I said earlier, welcome to corporate America.  Everybody has a boss.  Some SVP is not going to give more money to the SEC just because the SEC wants it.  He has an EVP to answer to and he'd better be able to justify the reason.  If he doesn't, it's his ass.

Slive has now learned after the fact that Missouri and A&M didn't bring more money for the original 12.  He might have promised the 12 that it would.  Now he's doing his due diligence and he knows that if he adds #15 and #16, they'd better be worth something.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NWASooner on May 23, 2012, 07:34:03 pm
They're already offering more money.  It's just enough to keep the member schools whole.  Why should CBS pay Arkansas more money because A&M and Missouri are in the mix?

Like I said earlier, welcome to corporate America.  Everybody has a boss.  Some SVP is not going to give more money to the SEC just because the SEC wants it.  He has an EVP to answer to and he'd better be able to justify the reason.  If he doesn't, it's his ass.

Slive has now learned after the fact that Missouri and A&M didn't bring more money for the original 12.  He might have promised the 12 that it would.  Now he's doing his due diligence and he knows that if he adds #15 and #16, they'd better be worth something.

Nice selective quote. I wouldn't have included the rest if I were you either.

Here it is nonetheless just so no one misunderstands what was actually said.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2012, 07:25:19 pm
Your normal response. CBS will enhance the package. You are the king of "links" and you know darn well that there are links out there that say that CBS will come up with the dough, they are just trying to play the part of the "tough negotiater" right now. They'll pony up to some degree, much to your chagrin....I know this is tough for you to watch happen. ESPN will come up with more dough. Cable will add even more.

Oh yeah, the SEC lost by taking Missouri and A&M from the Big 12 and the Big 12 won by taking WVA and TCU from the Big East. Keep telling yourself that. It will make you happy.
Go Hogs Go!

NWASooner

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2012, 07:38:24 pm
Nice selective quote. I wouldn't have included the rest if I were you either.

Here it is nonetheless just so no one misunderstands what was actually said.

I've said from day one that A&M isn't worth the money, especially if you're expecting them to make up for Missouri.  Now, that's starting to play out.  Why don't you start firing off some links that shows that CBS is offering more money?

Better yet, why don't you ask for a raise tomorrow just because you want one?  Report back on how that goes.

As the SEC cable package, I'm confused about something.  Does that come out of Tier 3?  If so, how does that balance out?  Is it evenly split?  If so, have Bama and Florida been consulted, because they'll be taking less money while Vandy is getting more?  Will the the cable package eat into ESPN's tier 2?  If so, have they been consulted?

I'd also like to know how A&M will magically appear on Texas cable considering how hard it's been for the LHN to get picked up even in Texas.  UT has 3 times the fan base and it's not close.  If the flagship program in the state of Texas is having trouble with access, how is A&M going to break through?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NWASooner on May 23, 2012, 07:48:21 pm
I've said from day one that A&M isn't worth the money, especially if you're expecting them to make up for Missouri.  Now, that's starting to play out.  Why don't you start firing off some links that shows that CBS is offering more money?

Better yet, why don't you ask for a raise tomorrow just because you want one?  Report back on how that goes.

As the SEC cable package, I'm confused about something.  Does that come out of Tier 3?  If so, how does that balance out?  Is it evenly split?  If so, have Bama and Florida been consulted, because they'll be taking less money while Vandy is getting more?  Will the the cable package eat into ESPN's tier 2?  If so, have they been consulted?

I'd also like to know how A&M will magically appear on Texas cable considering how hard it's been for the LHN to get picked up even in Texas.  UT has 3 times the fan base and it's not close.  If the flagship program in the state of Texas is having trouble with access, how is A&M going to break through?

Love that reference to the LHN? Want to talk about overstepping by the school that truly thinks they are the big boy of the conference? How many subscriptions do they have? Ha, ha, oh my Lord.

Guess what slick, teams involved in the toughest, best conferene in the country are going to gain more market share. Say what you will, make as many excuses as you will, but teams that play in the SEC are ALWAYS going to gain greater market share in terms of viewership than the Big 12 EXCEPT when OU plays, simply because of their long standing tradition as being a very watched team. Great for OU, not so great for everyone else.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

ND to the Big-10 makes sense.  ND to the Big-12-2 does not
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

NWASooner

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2012, 07:54:17 pm
Love that reference to the LHN? Want to talk about overstepping by the school that truly thinks they are the big boy of the conference? How many subscriptions do they have? Ha, ha, oh my Lord.

Guess what slick, teams involved in the toughest, best conferene in the country are going to gain more market share. Say what you will, make as many excuses as you will, but teams that play in the SEC are ALWAYS going to gain greater market share in terms of viewership than the Big 12 EXCEPT when OU plays, simply because of their long standing tradition as being a very watched team. Great for OU, not so great for everyone else.

They have about 7 subscriptions.  Yet, according to you, A&M and the SEC are going to swamp the state of Texas with their cable package.  OK.  Whatever.

So, where's the link about A&M getting more money?  Why are you such an A&M fan?