Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Murphy-2016 Razorbacks: Frequently Asked Questions

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, August 28, 2016, 06:44:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Murphy's answers to 9 hot topics entering the 2016 season.

1. How will the offensive line come together?
2. Will the defensive backs put up better numbers?
3. Do the Hogs have enough impact players and depth providers on defense?
4. Is Austin Allen the answer at quarterback?
5. Who has the best shot at rushing for 1,000 yards?
6. Will the defense improve from No. 58 nationally?
7. Will the Razorbacks get off to a faster start?
8. Does Arkansas continue to trend upward in Bret Bielema's fourth season?
9. Can fans count on more pulse-pounding Hog thrillers?

What questions do you have?

His answers can be found inside:

http://www.yardbarker.com/colleges/arkansas/506

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/28/razorbacks-faq/
Go Hogs Go!

Hog N Bama

Thanks Muskogee Hog.  Not sure I can stand any more excitement between now and Saturday! Nice read. If our OL gels, our Hogs are going to be unstoppable. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

I guess my question about what Murphy writes is, if he doesn't feel that the offensive line will really get it all put together until the second half of the season, how do we expect Rawleigh Williams to gain 1,000+ yards and 4 others to have between 400 and 1,000 yards?

If each of the other 4 gain 500 yards each (I doubt that is the way it works out), that's 3,000 yards rushing for the schedule and if the bulk of it doesn't come until the second half of the season against the majority of the SEC schedule, that would be some pretty productive rushing games. That said, I would love to see Rawleigh get 1000+, Whaley as well though he may only get 700-800, and see two others get 400 each. That would give us a pretty decent year rushing the ball.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Tom predicts an 8-5 record with a Texas Bowl victory over Texas Tech, fwiw.

Hollywood_HOGan45

If we get those types of rushing numbers and the defense improves like we think, we will do much better than his 8-5 pick.  The qb and wrs are just too good.   Of course the big key is keeping Austin healthy.

rtr

Quote from: ricepig on August 28, 2016, 07:56:17 am
Tom predicts an 8-5 record with a Texas Bowl victory over Texas Tech, fwiw.
That seems to be the default position.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's one that I think is of particular interest this season.

Yes they will. And their improvement might be more substantial than marginal after finishing No. 103 in pass efficiency defense in 2015. Paul Rhoads, a long-time coordinator and head coach, has brought in expertise and a high-energy leadership style, and it has been well received. Better eye discipline and footwork should be evident right away. Veterans Jared Collins, D.J. Dean, Josh Liddell and Henre Toliver, as well as feisty sophomore safety Santos Ramirez, are determined to turn the doubters into believers.

I have to admit that I am encouraged from everything that I have heard of what Rhoades is teaching this Secondary. Attention to detail, and not just how to play a receiver after the snap, but in pre-snap alignment and reads. Positioning and how to identify the technique that each individual Receiver utilizes, on film and before the snap.

I think (and hope) that as Bielema has said, that this is the most improved unit on the team this year.
Go Hogs Go!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 28, 2016, 08:45:22 am
Here's one that I think is of particular interest this season.

Yes they will. And their improvement might be more substantial than marginal after finishing No. 103 in pass efficiency defense in 2015. Paul Rhoads, a long-time coordinator and head coach, has brought in expertise and a high-energy leadership style, and it has been well received. Better eye discipline and footwork should be evident right away. Veterans Jared Collins, D.J. Dean, Josh Liddell and Henre Toliver, as well as feisty sophomore safety Santos Ramirez, are determined to turn the doubters into believers.

I have to admit that I am encouraged from everything that I have heard of what Rhoades is teaching this Secondary. Attention to detail, and not just how to play a receiver after the snap, but in pre-snap alignment and reads. Positioning and how to identify the technique that each individual Receiver utilizes, on film and before the snap.

I think (and hope) that as Bielema has said, that this is the most improved unit on the team this year.

It will have to be if we want to do better this year than the national pundits are predicting (5th in the west).

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 28, 2016, 07:57:38 am
If we get those types of rushing numbers and the defense improves like we think, we will do much better than his 8-5 pick.  The qb and wrs are just too good.   Of course the big key is keeping Austin healthy.

Let's assume that it goes as follows, barring injuries.

R-Will: 1100 yards (by the way those are the same net yards as Collins in his Soph year, with J-Will playing)
Whaley: 800 yards
Hammonds: 400 yards
Walker: 400 tough yards
Mitchell: 200 yards

That would give us 2900 yards just from the RB's, not including other yardage contributed by WR's and the QB (which probably won't be much). Add the WR's contributions and you might add another 150 yards for the season. That would put us at 3,050 rushing yards for the season and 485 yards more than last season. That may not be realistic, it could be closer to 2700 net total rushing yards but that would still be more than last year, 134 yards less than 2014 and about 200 more yards than 2013.
Go Hogs Go!