Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O-Line Worries

Started by hogball30, August 26, 2016, 12:01:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogball30

I know this is a topic that has frequented countless radio shows over the past few weeks, but I am STILL concerned about our O-Line.  It seems that even recently, the pass protection has been weak.  Is anyone else still concerned about this?  If this remains true, it could put Austin Allen in a lot of distress in his first year as a starter. :razorback:

Biggus Piggus

Check out aTm's starting Oline, then come back and tell me what you think.
[CENSORED]!

wildhogman

Quote from: hogball30 on August 26, 2016, 12:01:36 pm
I know this is a topic that has frequented countless radio shows over the past few weeks, but I am STILL concerned about our O-Line.  It seems that even recently, the pass protection has been weak.  Is anyone else still concerned about this?  If this remains true, it could put Austin Allen in a lot of distress in his first year as a starter. :razorback:
The more I think on it, the less I worry. I think the coaches have known the starters longer then we think and all this jumping around was to figure out which of the second team is actually ready to go and where they can be used best. For instance if Ragnow is center and raulerson is back up center but starting guard, they need to know which back up can spell guard while raulerson spells Ragnow. There will still be some people moving a bit, but it will be to get experience/practice at multiple positions so the back ups can effectively spell the starters without fall off

colbs

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 26, 2016, 12:11:37 pm
It's crazy how some teams get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to replacing players, but Arkansas doesn't.  I get it with Alabama as they pretty much just reload, but not so much with teams like A&M.  A lot the media is really high on them.  Who knows they might have a really good year.  It just bothers me because I don't think they have done anything to deserve the respect they get.

Seebs

I am not concerned with the O- Line.

I am concerned with:
The heartbreak of seborrhea and psoriasis.
What Charlie did with the Chocolate Factory. Why no follow up?
Bob Holt's 40 time
The assurance that just clover pollen is used in Clover Honey. I am dubious
Ear Hair
Neck Beards
An Eddie Murphy follow-up musical album
Online poker ban putting Americans behind the Germans
Reconciling the utilization of chicken broth and its effects on Vegans who don't know they are eating it
What to do with deceased friends on Facebook
That I missed out on the actual Schuster's and Sterling going out of business sale because i thought they were kidding. Same for Garner Browne
DDT ... no, Acid Rain, No ... The Ozone Hole, No ...  Global Warming, No ... Climate Change. Yeah, climate change.
Extra ingredients in my craft beers. Pigeon and Earwax Ale is not a flavor folks. Stick with Hops, Barley, Wheat and water.

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ATU HOG

It does worry me, unfortunately.  Anytime you have a major change or shift in any position, it's a cause for concern.

Every team experiences this at some point, but replacing 3 offensive lineman is a scare(a little more when a DL gets moved over) whether some like to admit it or not. 

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

DiamondHogFan

King Kong

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 26, 2016, 12:11:37 pm

I heard they have really been coached on how to get erect and finish on top

go hogues

Quote from: colbs on August 26, 2016, 12:21:39 pm
It's crazy how some teams get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to replacing players, but Arkansas doesn't.  I get it with Alabama as they pretty much just reload, but not so much with teams like A&M.  A lot the media is really high on them.  Who knows they might have a really good year.  It just bothers me because I don't think they have done anything to deserve the respect they get.
It's called having 6,809,000,485,032,136 cheesy ring wearing alumni and potential eyeballs to a story. Like it or not, A&M is one of those programs that writers cater to - for the potential clicks, reads, etc.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

colbs

Quote from: ATU HOG on August 26, 2016, 12:23:21 pm
It does worry me, unfortunately.  Anytime you have a major change or shift in any position, it's a cause for concern.

Every team experiences this at some point, but replacing 3 offensive lineman is a scare(a little more when a DL gets moved over) whether some like to admit it or not. 
Pretty much besides TN & LSU everyone is replacing a lot of production from the previous year.

colbs

Here is a list of returning starters for each team:

bigred223

Quote from: go hogues on August 26, 2016, 12:28:14 pm
It's called having 6,809,000,485,032,136 cheesy ring wearing alumni and potential eyeballs to a story. Like it or not, A&M is one of those programs that writers cater to - for the potential clicks, reads, etc.

Yes and they are very cheesy

Vantage 8 dude

In my 60+ years on this earth I've learned the hard way not to stress too much on things over which I have absolutely no control. As I can't do a thing about whether or not the OL will play well, although I most definitely hope and think they will, I'll try to concentrate my concerns on the issues I can change/deal with.  8) ;D :D :)In the meantime may I suggest you try to relax.   ;)

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 26, 2016, 01:38:00 pm
Whats the point of being a real fan if you can't dissect the team?  Its part of being a knowledgeable fan.  The O line has been very overrated and no Hog fans want to admit.  If you want respect you earn it not by losing games to Toledo and T Tech.  Some experts are predicting 9-10 wins, that is crazy for the lack of overall talent and depth on the O line.
What is your prediction for the season? 

I agree the O-line was held pumped a little too high to begin the season last year, but were humbled quickly.  I'm not sure what the OP meant by "even recently" the pass protection has been weak.  Maybe the scrimmages?  Hard to figure much out there. 
The sacks allowed number has been good over the last couple of seasons, but other aspects of the O-line were lacking last year.  I'm hopeful that the coaching change will pump a little more energy into them to begin the year. 

Is a 9-10 win season likely?  Not really.  Is it possible?  Absolutely. 

hoghiker

Kevin

O line is a concern. Along with the qb, fullback and running back
Lots of questions to how they will perform
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawgar The Horrible

Whats the point of being a real fan if you can't dissect the team?  Its part of being a knowledgeable fan.  The O line has been very overrated and no Hog fans want to admit.  If you want respect you earn it not by losing games to Toledo and T Tech.  Some experts are predicting 9-10 wins, that is crazy for the lack of overall talent and depth on the O line.

Skipper All-SEC
Ragnow ****
Raulerson ****
Merrick ****
Froholdt **** DT and future OG stud
Rogers ***
Jackson ***

You don't seem to know the difference between lack of talent and lack of experience.

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 26, 2016, 02:09:09 pm
Skipper All-SEC
Ragnow ****
Raulerson ****
Merrick ****
Froholdt **** DT and future OG stud
Rogers ***
Jackson ***

You don't seem to know the difference between lack of talent and lack of experience.

So stars matter?  ;)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Theolesnort

Could be maybe we have some Jim Dandys at defensive end and as Biggus alludes you should be worrying about the A&M qb behind that Aggie line. I dunno.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

King Kong

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 26, 2016, 02:24:54 pm
@DiamondHog - Prediction is 6-6 for me.  Pass blocking has been fine actually, its run blocking in the 2nd half thats killed us.  How many times was a 3rd and 1 or 2 not converted last year?  Very often.  I do have hope that the D can be dominant and keep us in every game.

What's interesting of course is we did convert very well on 3 and 4 and short last season. Mostly going with a QB sneak or QB stretch with the RB acting as a blocker.

It was the previous season where we really struggled. Most notably against Ole Piss in the goal like where we got stuffed 6 times in that game

snoblind

Not worried.  No reason to be until I see a few games and how they do.

sowmonella

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 26, 2016, 02:58:01 pm
Yeah BA was effective running, he was mobile.  I just remember how we kicked a field goal against Miss St when it was 4th and 1.  With such a struggling kicking game it was a no-brainer to go for that...unless you dont feel we could get a yard when it counts. 

I hope you are kidding. We were on about the 10 yard line.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

CaddoHog

The Oline is a concern.  So is the Secondary, ST and kicking game.
Tackling also a concern.
How many games we will lose that we should win, big concern.
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

CaddoHog:  the most hated member on Hogville.net
(for the reasons of _______________________ )

FANONTHEHILL

August 26, 2016, 03:31:04 pm #24 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:53:14 pm by FANONTHEHILL
There biggest issue is the evolution of the mindset of our fanbase.  There is a difference in recruiting a great player and having a great program.  The truth of the matter is that if you have a four year starter on your offensive line, you were pretty darn weak four years ago.  To be a offensive line "factory",'as so many have called it, you bring in talent, redshirt, play in spots, and then hope they contribute in year three or four.  Going forward there are going to be years that we replace 3,4, possibly all 5 offensive lineman.  If you trust the system, then you know what is in the pipeline.  Honestly, we aren't there yet. The fact Skipper, Kirkland, Ragnow, and Rogers played as freshman proves that. It's also why getting Raulerson, Malone, and Ramirez to bridge the gap is so huge. Remember, in camp we had 17 olineman. 1 senior, 4 juniors (Rangow and the transfers above), 6 soph/RSo, 6 fr/RFr.  We need to understand that players coming here to play on the OLine are not going to show their value for 2-3 years in most cases and when the season ends, we will say "next" and  player we've developed will step up.  Replacing multiple members of the OLine will become a regular occurrence and we need to start to understand that.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawginbigd1

Quote from: colbs on August 26, 2016, 12:32:58 pm
Here is a list of returning starters for each team:
This right here is why ole piss is so dramatically overrated this year, and why LSU and then us should be favored to win the west over Bama.

TexArkHogFan

There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

snoblind

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 26, 2016, 03:31:04 pm
There biggest issue is the evolution of the mindset of our fanbase.  There is a difference in recruiting a great player and having a great program.  The truth of the matter is that if you have a four year starter on your offensive line, you were pretty darn weak four years ago.  To be a offensive line "factory",'as so many have called it, you bring in talent, redshirt, play in spots, and then hope they contribute in year three or four.  Going forward there are going to be years that we replace 3,4, possibly all 5 offensive lineman.  If you trust the system, then you know what is in the pipeline.  Honestly, we aren't there yet. The fact Skipper, Kirkland, Ragnow, and Rogers played as freshman proves that. It's also why getting Raulerson, Malone, and Ramirez to bridge the gap is so huge. Remember, in camp we had 17 olineman. 1 senior, 4 juniors (Rangow and the transfers above), 6 soph/RSo, 6 fr/RFr.  We need to understand that players coming here to play on the OLine are not going to show their value for 2-3 years in most cases and when the season ends, we will say "next" and  player we've developed will step up.  Replacing multiple members of the OLine will become a regular occurrence and we need to start to understand that.

Should be so obvious you shouldn't have to point this out. 

Cinco de Hogo

What's the difference in "worry", "concerned", "interested" etc except for the thought line of the individual.

I doubt there is a Hog fan out there who doesn't have some degree of trepidation concerning the O-line, another unit or the team as a whole. 

You can't judge by talent, experience or stars behind a name you can only judge by how you finish against the competition you play.  One or more individually may make a NFL team in the future but that means nothing concerning how good your O-line is.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 26, 2016, 02:39:33 pm
Could be maybe we have some Jim Dandys at defensive end and as Biggus alludes you should be worrying about the A&M qb behind that Aggie line. I dunno.

A&M's QB is not the typical A&M running threat and neither is the QB of TCU. Good passing QB's? Yes, but neither have the returning starters or experienced depth to protect a guy who stands in the pocket. Both will probably have to adapt to the run to protect themselves and that isn't the forte for either. If we can keep them hemmed-in and not give them space to escape, it could be a big night for our D-Line and for our Secondary. 
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Why was this thread redirected to worrying about A&M's O-line?

factchecker

If you want respect you earn it not by losing games to Toledo and T Tech.  Some experts are predicting 9-10 wins, that is crazy for the lack of overall talent and depth on the O line.

I thought they earned some respect back by going 5-3 in the SEC..... winning 3 SEC games on the road and beating their ever living chit out of LSU in a night game at Death Valley.

Some fans like to dwell on the low points of the season and look for the worst case scenario whereas some fans like to remember the highlights and look for the best outcome possible.  Being positive might qualify as being a homer but being consistently negative does not make you a "realist"..... it makes you a doom and gloom fan.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 26, 2016, 07:16:45 pm
You can't judge by talent, experience or stars

Aren't you one of the biggest star gazers on the recruiting board?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 26, 2016, 09:46:24 pm

Because the "realist" think only the Hogs lose talent every year. Bringing up other teams allow for other fans to show the that we aren't the only team who loses players.  It's also funny that "realist" think that we are the only team that gets worse by returning players on defense and that there is no way we can improve with experience.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hoggish1

I am STILL concerned about our O-Line. Is anyone else still concerned about this? 

Not me.  You obviously want to be concerned...  Why?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on August 26, 2016, 09:56:18 pm
Because the "realist" think only the Hogs lose talent every year. Bringing up other teams allow for other fans to show the that we aren't the only team who loses players.  It's also funny that "realist" think that we are the only team that gets worse by returning players on defense and that there is no way we can improve with experience.

Well yeah, ideally, we would have 4 or 5 starters and 3-4 very experienced returning O-Linemen for depth but that is a rare occurrence in college football. Everyone has turnover and while our situation isn't ideal, I like our situation better than that of A&M, TCU or even Stanford.

And, national prognosticators have a tendency to overlook experience and depth issues at schools who have highly achieved (or been highly ranked) in the past because they respect their programs and just assume that those schools are going to re-load with quality players that will play at an elevated level immediately. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way.

I believe we will have fewer problems with our O-Line than A&M and TCU will have, at least early in the season. But that said, even though we have an announced starting O-Line, that may not be the line-up after 2-3 games. We will see. It is a work in progress.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 26, 2016, 10:02:10 pm
Not me.  You obviously want to be concerned...  Why?
Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 26, 2016, 09:46:24 pm
Basically it is me being a little facetious and I honestly believe that while the oline will not be all world they will still be pretty good. WE seem to have a tendency to nit pick our oline when they have a faux pas and completely forget about their frequent triumphs. Maybe I am seeing things through rose colored glasses but I truly believe there are a number of good teams in college football that would die to have a oline almost as good as ours.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on August 26, 2016, 09:52:30 pm
Aren't you one of the biggest star gazers on the recruiting board?
As I've said before, you are great with facts, problem is you still have to be able to understand what fact...and stats mean.   At that you are no better than anyone else.

You want to pigeon hole people real bad and that seldom works.  Recruiting is a coaches game, stars and rankings is a fan game.  Individual stars don't mean much by themselves but if you try to tell me you can't tell who the top teams in the country will be by their class rankings collectively I wouldn't give your opinions the time of day.

Oh, and even at that you have to know about coaching staffs, retention, etc...

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 27, 2016, 09:17:41 am
Oh, and even at that you have to know about coaching staffs, retention, etc...

Agreed.  You can have all the talent in the world but have it screwed up by turmoil and poor coaching.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 27, 2016, 07:25:44 am
Basically it is me being a little facetious and I honestly believe that while the oline will not be all world they will still be pretty good. WE seem to have a tendency to nit pick our oline when they have a faux pas and completely forget about their frequent triumphs. Maybe I am seeing things through rose colored glasses but I truly believe there are a number of good teams in college football that would die to have a oline almost as good as ours.

If you go back to the spring you will find certain people that were concerned about our o-line and mostly about depth.  Now as the season nears it seems to me those are the people who are making fun of the people still concerned about our o-line.  Our concern is how well our O-line does against the competition we actually play.  If we are talking defense then another teams o-line concerns me.  O-lines don't compete directly with each other.

Cinco de Hogo

Are these famous last words?

MMQB is for Razorback discussion, we don't care about Auburn,Missouri, Alabama....etc.  We care about the Razorbacks!---Lanny

I want to believe the staff has paid attention to their failures of last year when the experienced O-line was not ready to start the season.  Somehow, I bet this O-line is ready to go.