Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Being Bret Bielema

Started by pigskenG, August 25, 2016, 12:26:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogblitz

Quote from: hogsanity on August 26, 2016, 02:56:08 pm
again, put a number on it, what do you think is pass/fail for this season? 9-3, 10-2, seccg?

What if they do not reach your definition of pass/fail? Fire him? demand changes to the staff?

And I have not seen anyone saying to give THIS coach 5 or 6 years, you are in the wrong sport forum for that.

I have seen multiple times on this forum that 5 and 6 years should be given because of his success with 5th year seniors according to these posters.   As far as a win/loss, I think that 9 wins AFTER the bowl game should be EXPECTED.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on August 26, 2016, 02:56:08 pm
again, put a number on it, what do you think is pass/fail for this season? 9-3, 10-2, seccg?

What if they do not reach your definition of pass/fail? Fire him? demand changes to the staff?

And I have not seen anyone saying to give THIS coach 5 or 6 years, you are in the wrong sport forum for that.

Turn back the clock to last year after the Texas Tech loss and what looked to be a super ugly season.

Strong mantra of "Guys, this was always going to be a 5 or 6 year rebuild, anyone could see this coming with how awful of a recruiter Petrino is." Of course, never mind that these same people saying this were 100% predicting a 10+ win season when season was upcoming. If this season starts off poorly these same folks will have this type of stuff to fall back on.

I'll bite on your question...but to me there are some contingents hanging with what you say. Im of the opinion that Bielemas style of play combined with how we recruit (our ongoing shortcomings vs most other SEC schools) will never yield more than a 8 win season.

This season? Our offense is all but gutted. What you read in the paper/internet & hear on the radio is all pie in the sky stuff. It's just like last year when there was a hot spin how the loss of Jonathan Williams wouldn't slow us down a bit. LMFAO. Get real. How'd that work out? These same people who act like they can see the "obvious" future with these coaches and team were the same ones making proclamations like that one. Being a homer and calling everyone else stupid doesn't make one right.

In my book 6 wins is going to be a pass when you consider everything. Less than 6 wins would be a fail. No coach here past year 1 should ever not win at least 6. If we don't win 6 games I think they should fire him yesterday. But demand like you say? Not so sure about that. I'm in zero position to make any demands. Does only winning 6 games suck? Yes, but that's what I expect so I won't be a part of that lynch mob if it happens. However, what you will see are some of these pie in the sky people take a quick dark turn.

I think one of the things the guy you are quoting is getting at (which I agree with) is that there is a push towards the feely good stuff to overshadow actual results on the football field. It started with John L Smith and has slowly grown to a loud roar. It's admittedly an ingenious Strategy by Jeff Long. It works especially well in the offseason and when ticket renewals/deadlines are coming around. It's amazing how short a fan base memory can be with anything percieved negative.

The only problem I see with his strategy is if "doing things the right way with integrity" don't automatically = huge success on the field. While I agree with hogblitz that as long as we are "uncommon"...or whatever, many will be fine with whatever happens on the field regardless....there is a larger following that believes THAT is the key to success on the football field.....x's and o's not so much. So, for those folks...if things don't go accordingly...could be ugly.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Only those of little faith thought it would be a "super ugly" season after the Tech loss. I'm guessing you thought the same?

PorkSoda

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 26, 2016, 04:25:37 pm

there are 120 FBS teams that want a championship level team every year and 119 of them end up disappointed.  for a program the w/l record of a particular year is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  Having a program that is both competitive on the field and doing the right things off the field and that has good outcomes for the players that go through the program is all big picture stuff.

W and L's matter only for the particular weekend they occur.  It is what it is.  if BB's ceiling is 8 wins.  it is what it is.  if the big picture is where it is supposed to be, that will be enough to keep his job. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 26, 2016, 04:28:00 pm
Hog fans love BB so much that winning doesn't seem to matter at all.  As long as BB keeps pumping it up thats all that matters right?

Yea I'd take 8 wins From Bret Bielema rather than 10 wins from Bobby.  But this is a moot point because CBB builds a more consistent and stable program and I don't see a another coach coming in and having more success than CBB due to the serious recruiting disadvantage he's at.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ricepig on August 26, 2016, 04:30:28 pm
Only those of little faith thought it would be a "super ugly" season after the Tech loss. I'm guessing you thought the same?

Uh didn't mostly everybody feel that way?  Imagining Brandon Allen turning the corner after that game was unfathomable.  His performance against Tennessee and Auburn, nobody could see that coming but then he kept it up.  It was amazing, thanks enos.

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on August 26, 2016, 04:30:28 pm
Yes. With Toledo...then Texas Tech? I thought it was going to be super ugly. I'm not in the minority on that either. I was shocked we were able to go into Tennessee and win.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 26, 2016, 04:46:24 pm
Wow if you dont kiss up to BB your post gets deleted lol ok so I love how BB sounds so smart, does everything right, is perfect in every way, how he is a way better coach than Saban.  Maybe this will stick

Did you see how many and to the level of players that CBB put in the NFL. He had no where near the incomin talent at Wisconsin as what he is getting here.  R-e-l-a-x were in good hands.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 26, 2016, 04:49:43 pm
I guess thats where the division is.  Most fans are happy with 7-8 wins with BB than 10-11 wins with a jerk coach.  I would rather have the jerk and win big but i dont think most Hog fans think like that.  We are not true SEC fans thinking like that lol

How about this, 8 wins consistently and building a team that can actually challenger the top teams and go for a natty, or volatile up and down years with some 11 win years, but even then that team can't hang with the lsu's, bama, good auburn teams, because that's what we're really comparing.  You know petrino wasn't ever going to beat Alabama with his wussy offense and defense.

jkstock04

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 26, 2016, 04:53:05 pm
How about this, 8 wins consistently and building a team that can actually challenger the top teams and go for a natty, or volatile up and down years with some 11 win years, but even then that team can't hang with the lsu's, bama, good auburn teams, because that's what we're really comparing.  You know petrino wasn't ever going to beat Alabama with his wussy offense and defense.
Keep in mind that with our style of play and the way we slow the game down and run clock, we will inevitably have seemingly close(r) games against seemingly more talented teams. It was a strategy we saw during the Nutt years. Slow the game down, time of possession...and try and keep it close going into that 4th quarter.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 26, 2016, 04:49:51 pm
Yes. With Toledo...then Texas Tech? I thought it was going to be super ugly. I'm not in the minority on that either. I was shocked we were able to go into Tennessee and win.

You aren't? I didn't see a poll on it, lol. I assume your super ugly was 4 wins?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: SuperHoganova on August 26, 2016, 04:46:24 pm
Wow if you dont kiss up to BB your post gets deleted lol ok so I love how BB sounds so smart, does everything right, is perfect in every way, how he is a way better coach than Saban.  Maybe this will stick
Well based on the fairly limited number of posts you have next to your name let me clue you in on something. There are plenty of comments that are critical/not particularly favorable toward CBB and the program. If you bother to go back and actually do a little research you will see what I mean. Having said that, however, it is true the majority of comments/posts are positive. Perhaps that's the nature of most fans, at least I suspect as such. And whether or not such pro CBB and Razorback comments are warranted to a great degree depends on what you expect and how you view the program. The one thing I do agree with at ALL times is that players are off limits when it comes to bashing and criticism. While they may not always perform to perfection or get the job done the way we'd like, they're kids who're putting it on the line for the fans, school and state. They deserve all our support.

Vantage 8 dude

I guess thats where the division is.  Most fans are happy with 7-8 wins with BB than 10-11 wins with a jerk coach.  I would rather have the jerk and win big but i dont think most Hog fans think like that.  We are not true SEC fans thinking like that lol
Well then I would suggest that if you're truly in the minority when it comes to Hog fan's expectations as it applies to wins and how CBB runs the program then you consider several of options. Either change your outlook to suit the majority, find a new new team to root for (at least as long as Bret is here), or prepare to be continually disappointed (at least according to the grim future you apparently see).

a0ashle

I love football but I love being proud of my team and university more. 10-11 wins under Petrino never made me as proud of these Razorbacks as CBB has. Everyone's values vary.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: a0ashle on August 26, 2016, 05:17:56 pm
I love football but I love being proud of my team and university more. 10-11 wins under Petrino never made me as proud of these Razorbacks as CBB has. Everyone's values vary.

Well said.  What a bunch of sourpusses we have. 

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 26, 2016, 04:59:37 pm
Keep in mind that with our style of play and the way we slow the game down and run clock, we will inevitably have seemingly close(r) games against seemingly more talented teams. It was a strategy we saw during the Nutt years. Slow the game down, time of possession...and try and keep it close going into that 4th quarter.

Do you even watch Hog football games? Yes, Bielema likes to control the clock AND LIGHT UP THE SCOREBOARD LIKE A PINBALL MACHINE IN THE PROCESS. JUST LIKE HE DID AT WISCONSIN!!!
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 26, 2016, 05:41:55 pm
Do you even watch Hog football games? Yes, Bielema likes to control the clock AND LIGHT UP THE SCOREBOARD LIKE A PINBALL MACHINE IN THE PROCESS. JUST LIKE HE DID AT WISCONSIN!!!
Have not missed a home game in 10+ years...usually go to one away game/year.

You??

It's funny to me, you are the type that lives 500 miles away and hasn't been to a game in forever...but still likes to tell everyone else how terrible they are as fans. Now, I'm not saying that IS you. You may be like me and attend every home game Regardless of weather.

But there is a lot of that type of BS that goes on on the internet I've come to find.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rzrbackramsfan

I see what you're saying on the style of play but it doesn't just seem like the games are closer they are actually closer. 

rzrbackramsfan

I also don't think petrino would've been able to beat ole miss, Tennessee and lsu last year either but who really knows how petrino would've done post his one insane recruiting class.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 26, 2016, 05:54:42 pm
Have not missed a home game in 10+ years...usually go to one away game/year.

You??

It's funny to me, you are the type that lives 500 miles away and hasn't been to a game in forever...but still likes to tell everyone else how terrible they are as fans. Now, I'm not saying that IS you. You may be like me and attend every home game weather be darned.

But there is a lot of that type of BS that goes on on the internet I've come to find.

Let me tell you a little something about BS. That is what you are constantly peddling on this board and I don't give a damn if you have pitched a tent in RRS.

Style of play? Petrino's best team (2011) averaged 36.8 points per game. Last year the Hogs averaged 35.9.

You're full of crap, have an agenda, and I'm calling you on it. If that bothers you...your problem, not mine.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Darren DeLoach

Hog fans love BB so much that winning doesn't seem to matter at all.  As long as BB keeps pumping it up thats all that matters right?

Clearly you are trolling, and I should know better. But it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. A vast majority of us happen to approve of the job he is doing and believe he will create a monster here at Arkansas. I never had any Faith that CBP could sustain anything here. Hoped I was wrong, but doubted his ability to build a staff and recruit both sides of the ball. We all want the wins....but some of us understand the process it takes to do it right. Now go troll elsewhere
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

DLUXHOG

Please learn what "honor", "integrity", and "character" mean.....  then come back here and shoot off your mouth.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

rzrbackramsfan

Yea the maybe 10 out of 20 petrino players that stayed on the team and were not suspended were all pretty good guys, they would've been even better under Bielema though, that's fair to say. 

Dugann

anyone know how or where you can see the BBB that has played on ESPN already?
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

PorkRinds

Wish I could watch. Just cut the chord and espnu is about the only thing we aren't able to get.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GirlHog on August 27, 2016, 05:38:13 pm
Search Being Bret Bielema on Facebook and it has previous episodes on their page.

Archives are here as well...

http://www.beingbretbielema.com
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jkstock04

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 26, 2016, 06:14:19 pm
Let me tell you a little something about BS. That is what you are constantly peddling on this board and I don't give a damn if you have pitched a tent in RRS.

Style of play? Petrino's best team (2011) averaged 36.8 points per game. Last year the Hogs averaged 35.9.

You're full of crap, have an agenda, and I'm calling you on it. If that bothers you...your problem, not mine.
Does not bother me one bit. You are obviously the one with the problem...not me. I'm not the one who viciously goes after people on here.

And by your deflection/rant I'm going to assume you are that guy who lives 500 miles away and doesn't go to games. Cool deal there. Keep up the hard work.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

pigskenG

Sure I'd like to see the Hogs go undefeated and win the NC, but if every coach in America had a five year contract to win the NC or be gone, there would be 50 head coaching changes every year. If we can make a run for the NC and win the SEC west every once and a while, and Coach B stays. I'd be happy. The only thing I'd like for Coach to do right now is try and lose some weight. He's put on more than a few pounds since he's been here. He must love his own cooking. Maybe Coach Herb or Ms B. can encourage him.  C'mon Coach B., do it for your health, we want you to be our coach for a long time.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 26, 2016, 04:49:51 pm

It seems like you and others on here are shocked anytime the Hogs win no matter who they are playing.

What's more telling is that appears to be all you care about when there are other things within college athletics that matter.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi