Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA Enrollment tops 27,000

Started by ricepig, August 25, 2016, 12:08:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

rzrbackramsfan

they were at 19500 when I started in 09.

ricepig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 25, 2016, 12:10:50 pm
More than double the amount of students than when I was on the hill.....

Yeah, I seem to remember 11-13,000 in my days, but I wasn't paying too much attention, lol.

Inhogswetrust

August 25, 2016, 12:22:16 pm #4 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:37:59 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on August 25, 2016, 12:15:48 pm
Yeah, I seem to remember 11-13,000 in my days, but I wasn't paying too much attention, lol.

Me either except the coed ones!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bigred223

That's great. Seems like we should be investing more in things that benefit the student body and faculty.

factchecker

Quote from: bigred223 on August 25, 2016, 01:00:08 pm
That's great. Seems like we should be investing more in things that benefit the student body and faculty.

https://twitter.com/UArkansas/status/768563471910744064

https://twitter.com/KNWAnews/status/643906275936350208

QuoteThe building is called Champions Hall because the University's Athletic Department funded a large amount the project.

Feel free to donate here anytime you want:

https://onlinegiving.uark.edu/

You don't have to be an alumnus to donate.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Also for those who haven't been on campus in a while.... they've finally completed the roundabout on stadium drive. 

They have also been doing quite a bit of landscaping on Razorback Road.  They are currently installing new rock walls on the corners of Razorback/MLK and Stadium/MLK. And they have installed another red light at the Meadow Street/Razorback Road intersection.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

Hogwild

I am curious to see if the number from Missouri jump significantly.  Read last week that it is Missouri's smallest freshmen class in 'well over a decade' 

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: Hogwild on August 25, 2016, 01:50:44 pm
I am curious to see if the number from Missouri jump significantly.  Read last week that it is Missouri's smallest freshmen class in 'well over a decade' 

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/enrollment-is-in-fact-down-at-mizzou/article_e7e46947-b8f1-5d78-a166-39ca0446ccea.html
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

bigred223

Quote from: factchecker on August 25, 2016, 01:08:51 pm

Feel free to donate here anytime you want:

https://onlinegiving.uark.edu/

You don't have to be an alumnus to donate.

Thanks for that info and I'm glad to hear it. I graduated in 2013 and have donated what I can.

Russ22

Quote from: Hogwild on August 25, 2016, 01:50:44 pm
Mizzou is fighting an uphill battle over what happened with their students and the administration over the Ferguson issue. The "front porch" to Mizzou voted to boycott games until the President of the University resigned. Many students in Missouri looked elsewhere rather than get involved in that morass.

The UofA numbers are up because of the lottery scholarship. A lot of kids that shouldn't be at the UA-Fayetteville are there because they can afford it due to the lottery. Educational quality as measured by real professors teaching the students is going down due to the numbers. Many (and I mean a whole boatload) of the courses for freshman and sophomores are now being taught by Instructors on a contract to teach 3 hour courses. If you have a a M.S. or PhD, you can pick up extra income (~$5000 per 3 hour course) teaching those classes.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

ur

How many from Texas in the fr. class?  Still over half?

hogsanity

Quote from: Russ22 on August 25, 2016, 02:16:16 pm
Mizzou is fighting an uphill battle over what happened with their students and the administration over the Ferguson issue. The "front porch" to Mizzou voted to boycott games until the President of the University resigned. Many students in Missouri looked elsewhere rather than get involved in that morass.

The UofA numbers are up because of the lottery scholarship. A lot of kids that shouldn't be at the UA-Fayetteville are there because they can afford it due to the lottery. Educational quality as measured by real professors teaching the students is going down due to the numbers. Many (and I mean a whole boatload) of the courses for freshman and sophomores are now being taught by Instructors on a contract to teach 3 hour courses. If you have a a M.S. or PhD, you can pick up extra income (~$5000 per 3 hour course) teaching those classes.

IT's also up here because they give in state rates to out of state students from places like Texas. I do not mid that except they should only do so if it is available for Arkansas people wanting to go to school at UT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

go hogues

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2016, 02:44:15 pm
IT's also up here because they give in state rates to out of state students from places like Texas. I do not mid that except they should only do so if it is available for Arkansas people wanting to go to school at UT.
Down here in Dallas, it's now affectionately referred to as: "The University of Texas at Fayetteville".

I can see it from both sides. It has helped the UA grow its student population, and therefore ability for expansion, new grants, etc. but there is not a robust enough economy in Arkansas to keep all of those Dallas kids there, so they all come back to the Metroplex. That does, however, create a large, affluent alumni base in Dallas.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogsanity

Quote from: go hogues on August 25, 2016, 02:57:41 pm
Down here in Dallas, it's now affectionately referred to as: "The University of Texas at Fayetteville".

I can see it from both sides. It has helped the UA grow its student population, and therefore ability for expansion, new grants, etc. but there is not a robust enough economy in Arkansas to keep all of those Dallas kids there, so they all come back to the Metroplex. That does, however, create a large, affluent alumni base in Dallas.

I just don't like it that a kid from Pampa gets the same rate as a kid from Lake Village.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FraggleHog

Quote from: go hogues on August 25, 2016, 02:57:41 pm

The largest retailer in the world, ALL of it's vendors, the largest producer of protein in the world, and one of the largest transportation providers in the nation beg to differ. Maybe the state's economy overall isn't that big, but Northwest Arkansas has more than it's lion share of jobs to offer graduates of the university.

go hogues

Quote from: FraggleHog on August 25, 2016, 03:00:55 pm
The largest retailer in the world, ALL of it's vendors, the largest producer of protein in the world, and one of the largest transportation providers in the nation beg to differ. Maybe the state's economy overall isn't that big, but Northwest Arkansas has more than it's lion share of jobs to offer graduates of the university.
That's very possible, I just know the gripe has been that none of them stick around once they graduate.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2016, 03:00:46 pm
I just don't like it that a kid from Pampa gets the same rate as a kid from Lake Village.

Amen
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FraggleHog

Quote from: go hogues on August 25, 2016, 03:05:50 pm
That's very possible, I just know the gripe has been that none of them stick around once they graduate.

If they go back to the Metroplex, it is because they want to work/ live there, not because they couldn't find a job, I guarantee you that. My wife is from Dallas and she stayed here and is ultra successful in a local PR Firm. I know that is just one example, but we see publications come out almost monthly stating how "robust" and rapidly growing the Northwest Arkansas economy is, and how great a place the area is to work and live.

Hogtimes

August 25, 2016, 03:24:45 pm #21 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:42:05 pm by Hogtimes
Russ and Hogsanity you are both right on target.  But there is whole lot more to these numbers and it gripes the heck out of me.   

I have read in the newspaper that half of the students at UA are from out of state.   The University waves 90% or more of the out of state tuition fee  for students from all over.... not just Texas, but Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi.

Now keep in mind that students only pay about 1/3 of the total cost of their education....who pays the other 2/3?  You and I the taxpayers.   So we our paying the cost for students from Dallas, Houston, Chicago etc,  who will go back to their home states when they graduate....thank you  Arkansas taxpayers.  I have read articles that showed a student from some of these states  could go to school at Arkansas for less than they would pay at their home state university.

Now for the courses being taught by graduate assistants.   The University makes a lot of money with this.   I have also read in the local paper that 47% of the entering freshmen at the University had to take remedial courses.    These courses are taught by Grad assistants,  who are paid very little compared to Professors, thus the school makes a ton of money.  Remember, you are paying 2/3 of that cost.  Those students should be told to go back to high school and when you have the required courses come back to see us.  But the University does not do that because the more enrollees the more the revenue.  (Your tax dollars)

There are basically three ways for a University to increase revenue.  Donations or grants, taxpayers and student fees.   That is why every University is enrolling students at record numbers.  They are also lowering the standards.  The UofA dropped Calculus from the required curriculum, because too many students failed it.  So they do whatever it takes to keep the enrollment up.

The lottery is one of the biggest waste of money in this State and I am not talking about the people buying the  tickets.  I am talking about the revenue being handed out to any student hand over fist.  They have made some corrections after wasting millions of dollars, but it is still  a huge waste.

Sorry for the long rant, but the whole educational system in this State  is very upsetting to me.  Probably, because I am a retired University Professor (not UofA) and I see the problems more than  some others do, especially our State politicians.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hogtimes on August 25, 2016, 03:24:45 pm
Russ and Hogsanity you are both right on target.  But there is whole lot more to these numbers and it gripes the heck out of me.   

I have read in the newspaper that half of the students at UA are from out of state.   The University usually  waves 90% or more of the out of state tuition fee  for students from all over.... not just Texas, but Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi.

Now keep in mind that students only pay about 1/3 of the total cost of their education....who pays the other 2/3?  You and I the taxpayers.  So we our paying the cost for students from Dallas, Houston, Chicago etc,  who will go back to their home states when they graduate....thank you  Arkansas taxpayers.  I have read articles that showed a student from some of these states  could go to school at Arkansas for less than they would pay at their home state university.

Now for the courses being taught by graduate assistants.   The University makes a lot of money with this.   I have also read in the local paper that 47% of the entering freshmen at the University had to take remedial courses.    These courses are taught by Grad assistants,  who are paid very little compared to Professors, thus the school makes a ton of money.  Remember, you are paying 2/3 of that cost.  Those students should be told to go back to high school and when you have the required courses come back to see us.  But the University does not do that because the more enrollees the more the revenue.  (Your tax dollars)

There are basically three ways for a University to increase revenue.  Donations or grants, taxpayers and student fees.   That is why every University is enrolling students at record numbers.  They are also lowering the standards.  The UofA dropped Calculus from the required curriculum, because too many students failed it.  So they do whatever it takes to keep the enrollment up.

The lottery is one of the biggest waste of money in this State and I am not talking about the people buying the  tickets.  I am talking about the revenue being handed out to any student hand over fist.  They have made some corrections after wasting millions of dollars, but it is still mostly wasted.

Sorry for the long rant, but the whole educational system in this State  is very upsetting to me.  Probably, because I am a retired University Professor (not UofA) and I see the problems more than  some others do, especially our State politicians.

See my posts above:

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2016, 02:44:15 pm

This is the problem.... many (MANY) Texas high school kids simply cannot get in to UT or A&M, etc. due to the "10% rule" that our infamous governor Ann Richards put in place many years ago.    Only the top 10% of graduating high schoolers are automatically accepted at the state institutions here as that was the brilliant idea of state government to make sure every kid had an equal chance to go to college.    The problem with this is, it has led to the "dumbing down" of the kids at the Texas state institutions since someone that is in the top 10% at say, Carter high school, is no where near the caliber, knowledge-wise or grade point wise as kids from say, Plano...    In Plano, to be in the top 10% a student would literally have to have a 4.++ grade point whereas at say, Carter or Hillcrest high schools, a grade point of something like 3.6 would probably land you in the top 10%.     Texas state colleges have to take all of these kids so kids from a school like Plano who have a 3.8+ grade point average go to Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, LSU, etc. (it isn't only the UofA that has an advantageous program to lure the Texas kids...).     Simply put, Arkansas, and all of the other schools I mentioned, are getting a higher grade of student than they normally would by luring the Texas kids, which in turn, probably accelerates the UofA's academic rating.........

Hogtimes

August 25, 2016, 03:55:24 pm #24 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:28:52 pm by Hogtimes
Quote from: FraggleHog on August 25, 2016, 03:40:44 pm
See my posts above:

I do not think you  understand.  It does not matter WHY they go back or even if they go back for that matter.  Either way the Arkansas taxpayers are paying for 2/3 of the cost of their education.   The idea behind out of state tuition is to make up for the fact their family has not paid any State taxes over the years to support the University, while the in state student's family have paid taxes to  the state.

Plus you grossly over estimate the job opportunities in NWA as compared to the opportunities with the major corporations all over the world

Russ22

I have read in the newspaper that half of the students at UA are from out of state.   The University waves 90% or more of the out of state tuition fee  for students from all over.... not just Texas, but Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi.

Now keep in mind that students only pay about 1/3 of the total cost of their education....who pays the other 2/3?  You and I the taxpayers.   So we our paying the cost for students from Dallas, Houston, Chicago etc,  who will go back to their home states when they graduate....thank you  Arkansas taxpayers.  I have read articles that showed a student from some of these states  could go to school at Arkansas for less than they would pay at their home state university.

The lottery is one of the biggest waste of money in this State and I am not talking about the people buying the  tickets.  I am talking about the revenue being handed out to any student hand over fist.  They have made some corrections after wasting millions of dollars, but it is still  a huge waste.

I didn't agree with the lottery for education, but handing out individual scholarships was the wrong approach. Arkansas produces a certain number of college ready high school grads each year. That number has not increased by over 8,000 the last 10 years. It just hasn't.

If they were going to use the lottery to cover education, they should have used it to pay for the operating expenses and reduce tuition for everyone. What happens now is that kids go on this scholarship, a high percentage lose it after the first year,  and then come back on their own dime during the 2nd year. These marginal students flame out with nothing to show for it except 15 - 20k of student loan debt (because they put everything on the loan based on financial need).

This is bad policy that creates a ton of debt that can't even be discharged in a bankruptcy filing. It is wrong, but the legislators can each go back and tell their constituents that they "created a scholarship for little Johnie or Joanie." It's true but disabling to economic futures of many Johnies and Joanies.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

ur

My sons have lived and graduated with many kids from Texas. The state income tax doesn't go over well at all with the Texas kids.

AirWarren

Yay....Walmart here I come......

Before I'm lynched. I'm currently enrolled at the UofA through the online program and will be for the next 4 years. Not planning on working for Walmart either.

wildturkey8

The University exists to serve the State of Arkansas, not the other way around.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Russ22 on August 25, 2016, 02:16:16 pm

Ferguson was not a part of the protest on Mizzou's campus by students.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OPoraquê

The state of Arkansas is heading toward two 1,000,000 plus in-state (McDonald County, MO exempted in NWA's case) metropolitan areas sooner rather than later.  It will be interesting to see how this impacts a lot of things.

ricepig

Quote from: ur on August 25, 2016, 02:21:48 pm
How many from Texas in the fr. class?  Still over half?

Over half, 90 more were from out of state, I'm sure 80%+ of those are from Texas.

ricepig

Quote from: FraggleHog on August 25, 2016, 03:40:44 pm
See my posts above:

The University's budget for Fayetteville was $485M and they received $125M from the state budget, this was in 2013.

Gonzo

I certainly understand some of the misgivings some folks have about allowing out of state kids to pay instate rates, but I think the long term benefits to the state will make it worthwhile. Will many of those students relocate elsewhere after they graduate? Sure, but probably most likely for the same reason so many instate graduates have relocated elsewhere for years........more opportunity. Both as a visitor to NWA for games and such, and as a resident of DFW with many friends who have kids going up there, I have been pleasantly surprised over the years to hear of so many who find they really like NWA and decide to stay. Even if it's not the majority that stays, the overall numbers of well educated potential employees available in the area/state will be more from a 27,000 student university than a 14,000 one, which is about what I recall it was in my college days. For real economic progress in the state, it will be largely this base of employees who provide the bottom up impetus necessary. As a native and proud Arkansan, I hope that is precisely what happens.

Go Hogs!

Three and Snout

In case you are looking for specific details regarding the non-resident tuition discount program, http://scholarships.uark.edu/nrta/index.php.

If you are a "stupid" rich kid from out of state, you are going to pay full non-resident tuition.

The Arkansas Academic Challenge scholarship funding levels per year in school were changed to address students (that may not be college-ready) going to college for one year and then dropping out.  The money is now backloaded to years after the freshman year. http://scholarships.adhe.edu/scholarships-and-programs/high-school

LZH

Here is a dumb ass question. Has the campus gotten any bigger since I was 18 years old? Because the student body population has more than doubled since then, and it doesn't seem like the campus has gotten any bigger to accommodate all these kids. Just wondering.

factchecker

August 26, 2016, 02:58:33 am #36 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:19:09 am by factchecker
Quote from: LZH on August 26, 2016, 12:49:25 am
Here is a dumb ass question. Has the campus gotten any bigger since I was 18 years old? Because the student body population has more than doubled since then, and it doesn't seem like the campus has gotten any bigger to accommodate all these kids. Just wondering.

https://twitter.com/JamieMilneRojek/status/646051981300097024

https://twitter.com/UArkansas/status/644948971127857153

http://planning.uark.edu/campus_planning/construction_proj.html

There has been some improvements over the past couple of years.  However, there still is a problem with parking.

They've built extra lots along Razorback road but when stadium expansion begins I believe that there will be quite a bit of displaced parking from Lot 44.

Outside of the university there has also been a huge boom in student apartments.  Drive down W Center Street (Clinton Drive) and W Lafayette Street and you will see all the new housing being built.  They have also renovated some of the fraternity and sorority houses.  I think there is also a new sorority house being built on Maple across from the Grad building but they haven't broke ground yet.

Overall, NWA is getting bigger by the day.  There is going to be some growing pains due to some much needed infrastructure improvement but hopefully we can improve enough to accommodate the population influx.

Add:  In off campus news - The Walton Arts center renovations should be finishing up soon.  There has been some sidewalk expansions along College Ave.  The Fayetteville Flyer is a good site to visit if you want to keep up with some of the changes that happen in Fayetteville.  http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/

And you can use this site to follow news about the University of Arkansas: http://news.uark.edu/

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

"Enrollment at the University of Arkansas now exceeds 27,000 students for the first time. Preliminary numbers show that 27,065 students have registered for the fall semester. The university's total freshmen class, with 5,022 students registered, is also a new record.

The total number of students from Arkansas enrolled at the UA continues to grow, with 15,166 Arkansans registered so far, including 2,466 Arkansans registered as a part of the freshman class, a slight increase from the 2,432 freshmen from Arkansas who enrolled in 2015."

Let's see a link on the 47% of incoming freshman at the University needing remedial classes. The last I found had UOfA-Fayetteville at 11.5%, but it is a few years old and the incoming ACT scores are at an all time high now. I think you are confusing the community colleges numbers, along with UAPB, ATU, and UCA with what the UofA's rate is.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on August 26, 2016, 05:05:55 am
Let's see a link on the 47% of incoming freshman at the University needing remedial classes. The last I found had UOfA-Fayetteville at 11.5%, but it is a few years old and the incoming ACT scores are at an all time high now. I think you are confusing the community colleges numbers, along with UAPB, ATU, and UCA with what the UofA's rate is.

I would like to see that link also because according to the recent results
Quote"The percentage of students entering the state's public colleges and university unprepared for college-level course work has dipped once again, marking the lowest rate in at least the past five years."

THE University of Arkansas had the lowest % of students assigned to remedial classes at 7.4%.

Here is the chart and link for those who want to know more:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jan/30/colleges-remedial-students-decrease-201/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FraggleHog

Quote from: AP85 on August 25, 2016, 04:11:08 pm
Yay....Walmart here I come......

Before I'm lynched. I'm currently enrolled at the UofA through the online program and will be for the next 4 years. Not planning on working for Walmart either.

I work for one of the other big 3 and Walmart pick's people off all the time. They may be in constant hot water with low wages for their hourly store employees, but that is not the case for their corporate employees. Not a bad dig at all... Just sayin'... Take everything into consideration before you speak. Also, working for Walmart's vendors is a very desirable position as well.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: FraggleHog on August 26, 2016, 09:25:29 am
I work for one of the other big 3 and Walmart pick's people off all the time. They may be in constant hot water with low wages for their hourly store employees, but that is not the case for their corporate employees. Not a bad dig at all... Just sayin'... Take everything into consideration before you speak. Also, working for Walmart's vendors is a very desirable position as well.

FYI, Walmart is the primary reason for the growth in NWA as they have played the "big gorilla" and required all of their major vendors to have a staffed local office presence in the NWA in order to do business with Walmart.    This has resulted in an explosion of population growth, thus new housing growth, etc...

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on August 26, 2016, 05:21:01 am
I would like to see that link also because according to the recent results
THE University of Arkansas had the lowest % of students assigned to remedial classes at 7.4%.

Here is the chart and link for those who want to know more:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jan/30/colleges-remedial-students-decrease-201/

I'm surprised he claimed to be from academia and didn't know the facts.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: ricepig on August 26, 2016, 10:05:10 am
I'm surprised he claimed to be from academia and didn't know the facts.

I think I'm on record earlier saying that the "benefit" to the University as a result of providing incentive to the out of state high grade point student, was a higher grade of student on campus...... :)

Hogtimes

Quote from: ricepig on August 26, 2016, 05:05:55 am
"Enrollment at the University of Arkansas now exceeds 27,000 students for the first time. Preliminary numbers show that 27,065 students have registered for the fall semester. The university's total freshmen class, with 5,022 students registered, is also a new record.

The total number of students from Arkansas enrolled at the UA continues to grow, with 15,166 Arkansans registered so far, including 2,466 Arkansans registered as a part of the freshman class, a slight increase from the 2,432 freshmen from Arkansas who enrolled in 2015."

Like I said, I read it in the newspaper.  I will try to find it, but I am not going to spend a lot of time on it.  Feel free to look for yourself, it was an article in the Arkansas Democrat  a couple of years or so ago.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogtimes on August 26, 2016, 10:47:54 am
Like I said, I read it in the newspaper.  I will try to find it, but I am not going to spend a lot of time on it.  Feel free to look for yourself, it was an article in the Arkansas Democrat  a couple of years or so ago.

How about you read the link that's current that factchecker provided, it might say you some trouble, lol.

FraggleHog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 26, 2016, 09:56:31 am
FYI, Walmart is the primary reason for the growth in NWA as they have played the "big gorilla" and required all of their major vendors to have a staffed local office presence in the NWA in order to do business with Walmart.    This has resulted in an explosion of population growth, thus new housing growth, etc...

I know all of this, and it confirms my points. It is also a big reason that Northwest Arkansas has more of a midwestern feel, due to all the transplants. I was just telling AP85 to not write off working for Walmart.

ChitownHawg

If you are interested in retail, agri, or logistics. Otherwise out of state you go. It has been 10 years since being on campus and that was 10 years after graduating. I love the school and it never ceases to amaze me how many alums I run into in other parts of the world.

The business college does a great job of preparing you for competing in the global business world.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

FraggleHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 26, 2016, 11:32:40 am
If you are interested in retail, agri, or logistics. Otherwise out of state you go. It has been 10 years since being on campus and that was 10 years after graduating. I love the school and it never ceases to amaze me how many alums I run into in other parts of the world.

The business college does a great job of preparing you for competing in the global business world.

Our current University commercial that plays during games states "Where the world comes to do Business" is very accurate. I remember when we played Texas in the Texas Bowl, people on Shaggy Bevo making fun of this... Obviously they don't pay attention to anything that happens outside of Austin.

1HourToHogville

From Oklahoma, graduated from Arkansas, moved back to Oklahoma.  Have since sent two kids and graduated both from U of A (had one defector to private school in Georgia).  Only live an hour away (thanks to I-49) and go to football and basketball games.
Thinking regionally helped NWA grow to what it is today.  Quit worrying about state lines.  Think about how much investment has been made into NWA from outside the state and what it would be like if you didn't open it up to surrounding states.
Instead of worrying about lottery scholars who use the money to party in Fayetteville, think about how many will reach higher goals because they went to Fayetteville and discovered more than they could find at a local community college.

Oklahawg

Quote from: 1HourToHogville on August 26, 2016, 11:57:13 am
From Oklahoma, graduated from Arkansas, moved back to Oklahoma.  Have since sent two kids and graduated both from U of A (had one defector to private school in Georgia).  Only live an hour away (thanks to I-49) and go to football and basketball games.
Thinking regionally helped NWA grow to what it is today.  Quit worrying about state lines.  Think about how much investment has been made into NWA from outside the state and what it would be like if you didn't open it up to surrounding states.
Instead of worrying about lottery scholars who use the money to party in Fayetteville, think about how many will reach higher goals because they went to Fayetteville and discovered more than they could find at a local community college.

And how many like us, living in Oklahoma but died-in-the-wool UA alums, live in a manner that is good advertising for UA. I am not driving to Norman (blech) to spend money at a restaurant prior to a ballgame. I am not buy licensed apparel for OSU. I drive by TU weekly but don't so much as stop long enough to owe them money for breathing their air. I plan on retiring in Arkansas (or Belize or Costa Rica, not sure at this point), and I'm glad UA is booming.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra