Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

25 Historically Important Programs

Started by Pig in the Pokey, August 25, 2016, 10:12:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

LRrazorback

Texas a&m is about 10 too high. What have they done in the last 40 years

factchecker

Here is the original article cited by SDS:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17336754/alabama-crimson-tide-notre-dame-fighting-irish-ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-usc-trojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

Quote25. Arkansas Razorbacks | 6.42

Arkansas is without a Heisman Trophy or a national championship. The Razorbacks have never won an SEC conference title and won 13 conference crowns while a member of the Southwest Conference.

>:(   

The #25 ranking seems fair but couldn't they have at least said that we have a "share" of a title.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 25, 2016, 10:12:23 am
Does this end the debate?

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/8-sec-teams-fall-top-25-espns-historically-important-programs/
It should but we live in an age where facts don't matter, so why would you think people would believe a panel of 12 reporters to rank this? I mean the fact that somebody ranked the world based on year-end polls and we were in the 20-21 range iirc didn't stop the debate, and that was statistical facts that didn't matter. ;D

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: factchecker on August 25, 2016, 10:23:07 am

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17336754/alabama-crimson-tide-notre-dame-fighting-irish-ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-usc-trojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

The #25 ranking seems fair but couldn't they have at least said that we have a "share" of a title.
Yeah, that's bull. Just like when they quote zero conference titles without mentioning the SWC titles we stacked up.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

elksnort

What in the heck is A&M doing ahead of the Razorbacks?

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on August 25, 2016, 10:23:07 am

Not sure why it's fair.  It's about 5 lower than virtually every other list I've seen.  Like most things, it's skewed to the recent past and perceptions of the recent past.  See A&M.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Boarmonger

Quote from: LRrazorback on August 25, 2016, 10:17:24 am

Yeah, I don't get that either.  There was another poll that ranked them several spots above us that was published a few weeks ago.  I didn't get that one either.

Pig in the Pokey

August 25, 2016, 11:10:32 am #8 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:12:26 pm by Pig in the Pokey
Quote from: Boarmonger on August 25, 2016, 11:08:18 am
Yeah, I don't get that either.  There was another poll that ranked them several spots above us that was published a few weeks ago.  I didn't get that one either.
It's b/c they have 2 heisman winners. that's the only reason. If DDawg didn't get robbed by Troy Smith, we'd be a lot higher. That and them not even counting our title :/
@Slackaveli

sickboy

Quote from: Boarmonger on August 25, 2016, 11:08:18 am

Because most of these articles aren't written by historians they're written by people who born after 1980. All they know of Texas A&M is Johnny Manziel. And because he's in the news every day, even if it's not for football, they're "relevant". And in their minds -- more historic.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Russ22

Here are time winning football programs (prior to 2016 season):
1.  Michigan       925
2.  Notre Dame  899
3.  Texas           886
      :
7.  Oklahoma     861
      :
12. LSU             770
      :
16. Texas A&M   717
      :
21. Arkansas      702

Based on this, I would say the ranking is pretty fair.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

DeltaBoy

TAMU has no NC in anything that I can think of. We have 1.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Russ22

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 25, 2016, 02:50:44 pm
2 Heismans (John David Crow, Johnnie Manziel)
1939 NC
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

Hogwild

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 25, 2016, 02:50:44 pm

A&M has an AP title

Cinco de Hogo

The problem is that Arkansas had been steady dropping in these type rankings since joining the SEC.  Nobody remembers our glory days anymore.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: elksnort on August 25, 2016, 10:51:43 am
What in the heck is A&M doing ahead of the Razorbacks?

They shouldn't be.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boarmonger

Quote from: Russ22 on August 25, 2016, 04:11:24 pm
2 Heismans (John David Crow, Johnnie Manziel)
1939 NC

I get that they have two Heismans.  What about other awards that are less of a popularity contest?  Outland, Rimmington, Doak Walker...etc. These should hold as much weight as a Heisman as players at different positions are excluded from the Heisman.

razorbackkid

Arkansas suffered thru Houston Nutt, Smilely, and Jack Crowe....to me that is historically important.

:)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 25, 2016, 09:25:06 pm
Arkansas suffered thru Houston Nutt, Smilely, and Jack Crowe....to me that is historically important.

:)

ALL schools have had bad coaches.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 25, 2016, 10:46:43 pm
ALL schools have had bad coaches.
Yep even Alabama has had some bad coaches. But when you win championships by the basket load, the bad years get forgotten. Rightfully so.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 25, 2016, 11:21:48 am
Here's a more typical list published four days ago by CFN:

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/ap-college-football-rankings-greatest-programs-of-all-time

Hogs are 19. 

In this one, you can see the rank by decade. Here's where Arkansas is—
-In the 60s = 2nd (tie with Texas, yuck)
-In the 70s = 10th (tie)
-In the 80s = 20th

I thought we'd be higher ranked in the 80s...Holtz and Hatfield's teams. Guess we were good most of that time, just not great. Lots of bowl games, but not so many bowl wins.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hogwild

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 25, 2016, 06:22:22 pm
The problem is that Arkansas had been steady dropping in these type rankings since joining the SEC.  Nobody remembers our glory days anymore.

Since we joined the SEC, 24 years ago we have had 8 different  Head Coaches-

Head Coach winning %    +/- .500 in SEC
1) Crowe       37%               N/A
2) Kines        35%               -1
3) Ford          46%               -8
4) Nutt          61%               +4
5) Herring       0%               N/A
6) Petrino       67%               +2
7) Smith         33%               -4
8 ) Bielema     47%              -10

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogwild on August 26, 2016, 04:59:53 pm
Since we joined the SEC, 24 years ago we have had 8 different  Head Coaches-

Head Coach winning %    +/- .500 in SEC
1) Crowe       37%               N/A
2) Kines        35%               -1
3) Ford          46%               -8
4) Nutt          61%               +4
5) Herring       0%               N/A
6) Petrino       67%               +2
7) Smith         33%               -4
8 ) Bielema     47%              -10

LOL and we fired the only two with positive numbers, only at Arkansas.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 26, 2016, 05:03:09 pm

Wrong. Only one of those you are thinking about with a positive number was fired. Other places have fired coaches with winning records. It doesn't happen as often as with a losing record and sometimes there are other factors involved but it does happen.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 26, 2016, 07:10:54 pm
Wrong. Only one of those you are thinking about with a positive number was fired. Other places have fired coaches with winning records. It doesn't happen as often as with a losing record and sometimes there are other factors involved but it does happen.

Not arguing, it was just a LOL statement you know.  But you would get an argument from a lot of people on Nutt.  I think the only difference between hm and Pettino was the high level supporter Nutt had.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 26, 2016, 07:10:54 pm
riiight, nutt wasn't fired, he was paid to leave...as in he didn't have a choice in the matter.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogwild

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 26, 2016, 05:03:09 pm

To be fair we also fired most of those with losing records as well.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogwild on August 26, 2016, 09:14:08 pm
To be fair we also fired most of those with losing records as well.

LOL, equal opportunity firing!  That's a unique concept.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: LRrazorback on August 25, 2016, 10:17:24 am

Agree. If find that puzzling. The consummate all-hat, no cattle program.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.