Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back up Quarterback is Ty Storey

Started by redbarn, August 24, 2016, 12:57:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redbarn

"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ā 

OutlawHawg

Jim Harris said he should just transfer since we have a good recruit coming in next year.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Wildhog on August 24, 2016, 12:57:40 pm
Good.  Kelley needs to RS.

He may not need to, but we sure would like to have that luxury.

Hopefully AA plays lights out and relatively injury free so we don't find out if it's one or the other.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 24, 2016, 01:01:04 pm
Jim Harris said he should just transfer since we have a good recruit coming in next year.

Shhhhhush...

Wildhog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 24, 2016, 01:01:30 pm
He may not need to, but we sure would like to have that luxury.

Hopefully AA plays lights out and relatively injury free so we don't find out if it's one or the other.

Sorry, I should have said, "I REALLY, REALLY want Kelley to redshirt."
1909/1964/1965/1977

OnYourToes

I hate to see Rafe go.  After his departure and with all the QBs we have on campus; this is the best outcome.

Ty can get the back up reps and hopefully several mop-up duty minutes.
Kelley can Redshirt

Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Wildhog on August 24, 2016, 01:02:16 pm

;-)

pondwater jack

Don't write Ty Storeys obitiary just yet as far as the coming years.  He don't have a flair for the dramatic. He does have one talent though....winning when people think that he shouldn't.  Pencil Kelley in if you want for next year.  Just make sure you use that red pencil over there...the one you just used a few weeks ago to write about Ricky Towns. The same one you used to write about rafe 2 years back. That one with the eraser.

J Holly Blasingame, II
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

hoghiker

If Kelley is going to be the man next year, shouldn't he be getting prep and reps.

ricepig

Quote from: hoghiker on August 24, 2016, 01:11:34 pm
If Kelley is going to be the man next year, shouldn't he be getting prep and reps.

He's going to split work with Storey with the #2's.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: pondwater jack on August 24, 2016, 01:11:09 pm
Don't write Ty Storeys obitiary just yet as far as the coming years.  He don't have a flair for the dramatic. He does have one talent though....winning when people think that he shouldn't.  Pencil Kelley in if you want for next year.  Just make sure you use that red pencil over there...the one you just used a few weeks ago to write about Ricky Towns. The same one you used to write about rafe 2 years back. That one with the eraser.

J Holly Blasingame, II

At this point they hope to reevaluate Storey v. Kelley no sooner than spring camp.  If AA comes out and just lays egg after egg this season or has a major injury (more than 2-3 games) then they may have to re-evaluate that.

In either case Storey will have every opportunity to hold his own. (In the early PT situation in fact he will have the best opportunity he ever to show he should be THE guy.)

Cinco de Hogo

Ā 

younghog

Quote from: ricepig on August 24, 2016, 01:15:02 pm
He's going to split work with Storey with the #2's.

Exactly...

Good for Ty.. A great Arkansan and HOG
GO HOGS

EngrHog

Good for him, he has earned it. I hope we can get a sizable enough lead on a few teams this year so he can get some quality snaps and good experience. As much as I hated them, USC used to have a pretty good system of rolling in redshirt juniors to take over for the most recent graduating quarterback. It looks like we are to that point now of not having to play QBs when they are young and inexperienced.
Whether you think you can do something or not, you are probably right

daprospecta

Quote from: Hogs1994 on August 24, 2016, 01:45:39 pm
Good for him, he has earned it. I hope we can get a sizable enough lead on a few teams this year so he can get some quality snaps and good experience. As much as I hated them, USC used to have a pretty good system of rolling in redshirt juniors to take over for the most recent graduating quarterback. It looks like we are to that point now of not having to play QBs when they are young and inexperienced.
This.  Everyone calling for Kelley to play next year should calm down.  The most success we've had in years in when we had two quarterbacks back to back that were juniors before taking over. Of course I'm talking about Mallet and Wilson.

Michael_E_Davis

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 24, 2016, 02:43:40 pm
Oh, come on!  Spill it!  Who is the recruit?    ???

Probably talking about the kid we have committed right now. Hyatt I think is his name.

RazorPiggie

So he's going to beat out AA next year?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on August 24, 2016, 01:02:16 pm
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dwight_K_Shrute

Said it before and will say it again, especially with Bielema saying Kelley will travel.

Ty will be the backup in instances of blowouts/mop up duty or Austin getting dinged.

I don't think the redshirt will come off CK unless a long term injury situation happened with Austin and Ty was just not effective.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Wildhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 24, 2016, 03:06:25 pm
Said it before and will say it again, especially with Bielema saying Kelley will travel.

Ty will be the backup in instances of blowouts/mop up duty or Austin getting dinged.

I don't think the redshirt will come off CK unless a long term injury situation happened with Austin and Ty was just not effective.

Agreed.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Congratulations to Ty on becoming hogville's favorite player for 2016
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HognVA

I don't recall ever having this many QB's on the roster. Quite a difference from a few short years ago being forced to play AJ Derby at QB.

Ā 

factchecker

Quote from: HognVA on August 24, 2016, 03:12:18 pm
I don't recall ever having this many QB's on the roster. Quite a difference from a few short years ago being forced to play AJ Derby at QB.

Or going further back and pulling QBs off the intramural fields.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

It is not just the number of Qb's, but the talent they have. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: factchecker on August 24, 2016, 03:13:18 pm
Or going further back and pulling QBs off the intramural fields.

Or that one time Nutt used 12 QB's in one game against UNLV.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Wildhog

Depth is important.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Remember Derby was the backup because someone left when they were told they would not be the starter and they did not want to play AA as a true FR.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 24, 2016, 03:26:08 pm
Or that one time Nutt used 12 QB's in one game against UNLV.

Yeah.
The NCAA burned redshirts on recruits that had yet to make it to campus after that game.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

razoredge178

Political play. Name Storey 2nd string-- who cares? Oh yah, he does. The transfer bug is contagious and needs to be zapped.

Kelley feels good about being RS. Storey now feels good about 2nd string. Which both are smoke and mirrors b/c if AA goes down CBB will insert who he wants to.

But now everyone is happy happy happy and no more defections.

jcbville

Quote from: razoredge178 on August 24, 2016, 04:11:22 pm
Political play. Name Storey 2nd string-- who cares? Oh yah, he does. The transfer bug is contagious and needs to be zapped.

Kelley feels good about being RS. Storey now feels good about 2nd string. Which both are smoke and mirrors b/c if AA goes down CBB will insert who he wants to.

But now everyone is happy happy happy and no more defections.

It isn't "defections". If you didn't know there was going to be a QB transfer at the end of all this then you don't understand how all this works. It was 100% guaranteed that there would be some QB transfers with the way we are stacked.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 24, 2016, 03:06:25 pm

I feel like if AA got hurt bad enough it would be Ty's job unless he just couldn't get it done. True freshmen just aren't Qb's in the SEC.  TS almost has to be the best option at this point and CBB has been giving him some pretty high praise.  Unless he just steps in and lays a massive egg I feel like it's his job to lose if AA goes down.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: jcbville on August 24, 2016, 04:40:10 pm
It isn't "defections". If you didn't know there was going to be a QB transfer at the end of all this then you don't understand how all this works. It was 100% guaranteed that there would be some QB transfers with the way we are stacked.

Exactly.
And, there will be another next year, more than likely.
Talented, competitive QBs are going to want to play even if they have to transfer.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

razoredge178

Actually five days before the spring game, right here on hogville, I called for two QB transfers prior to the start of the 2016 season--- I practically got tarred and feathered and ran out of town.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2016, 03:51:39 pm
Remember Derby was the backup because someone left when they were told they would not be the starter and they did not want to play AA as a true FR.

Yes I remember that and I still say BA wasn't ready to be the starter in 2013. He was more than ready last year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jcbville

Quote from: razoredge178 on August 24, 2016, 04:46:07 pm
Actually five days before the spring game, right here on hogville, I called for two QB transfers prior to the start of the 2016 season--- I practically got tarred and feathered and ran out of town.

I would agree that 1 more by next season is 100% certain if not 2 more by the start of next season with what we have and what's supposed to be coming. I don't know why it makes anyone pissy. It's the way it works and has always worked when you're stacked at QB.

razoredge178

Here were some replies to my prediction:

rice pig: Peavey has already said he's not going anywhere, Town and Storey would both lose another year unless the go down to FCS.......it's possible, but I don't see two leaving at all.

onebadrubi: Nah, they are much more intelligent than you.  They both know that this means nothing really in the realm of them competing and being able to win a spot when their time comes.  They also have 3 and 4 years of eligibility left.  We don't see many top QB's only being int he game for 1 year.

porktwain: I bet you are wrong.  I would be surprised to see Town move but I am pretty confident that Rafe and Ty will stick around, work hard and lead the charge when it is their turn.

bigdaddyhawg: You're only saying that because our Razorbacks have never had this much "highly rated" talent on their QB roster at one time. Most big time programs keep this kind of talent on their roster most of the time.  Yes, kids do transfer from time to time, but kids with this much success and attention coming out of high school are not scared of competition, they seek it. Your thinking just reflects the lack of success we've had in recruiting and on the field over the last 30 years or so.

colbs:
I don't see Town transferring less than a year after he transferred from USC.  Peavey already said he was sticking around no matter what happens.

My response: I'm saying that b/c touted QB's usually want a shot to start 3 years. If our QB depth chart is as good as its supposed to be, it only makes sense that 1 or 2 will request releases. Looping directly back to your point, which is a great reflection of the health of our recruiting system.

RME

Quote from: razoredge178 on August 24, 2016, 04:53:01 pm
Here were some replies to my prediction:

rice pig: Peavey has already said he's not going anywhere, Town and Storey would both lose another year unless the go down to FCS.......it's possible, but I don't see two leaving at all.

onebadrubi: Nah, they are much more intelligent than you.  They both know that this means nothing really in the realm of them competing and being able to win a spot when their time comes.  They also have 3 and 4 years of eligibility left.  We don't see many top QB's only being int he game for 1 year.

porktwain: I bet you are wrong.  I would be surprised to see Town move but I am pretty confident that Rafe and Ty will stick around, work hard and lead the charge when it is their turn.

bigdaddyhawg: You're only saying that because our Razorbacks have never had this much "highly rated" talent on their QB roster at one time. Most big time programs keep this kind of talent on their roster most of the time.  Yes, kids do transfer from time to time, but kids with this much success and attention coming out of high school are not scared of competition, they seek it. Your thinking just reflects the lack of success we've had in recruiting and on the field over the last 30 years or so.

colbs:
I don't see Town transferring less than a year after he transferred from USC.  Peavey already said he was sticking around no matter what happens.

My response: I'm saying that b/c touted QB's usually want a shot to start 3 years. If our QB depth chart is as good as its supposed to be, it only makes sense that 1 or 2 will request releases. Looping directly back to your point, which is a great reflection of the health of our recruiting system.

I mean, man, I don't think anyone really cares about what predictions people make on here. I guess it's important and memorable (for whatever reason) for the one who makes the prediction. It's like guys in the recruiting forum who say "I DUN TOLD YAWL HE WAS COMIN HERE." Like, congrats man, either he was or he wasn't, you had a 50/50 chance. I'm not gonna go hang out with my buddies and say "Y'all won't believe what razoredge178 predicted on Hogville."

Sorry to sound so sour but...I don't think anyone cares about someone being right or wrong on Hogville predictions...

Hawgar The Horrible

The general consensus was Ty would transfer and Rafe would be a lock to back up AA.

Hogville predictions = Gruden.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hogwild

So in 10 days you will be wrong? ;)

The Kig

Wish Peavey well, whatever his future holds.  Same for anyone else that decides they want PT that doesn't appear in the cards here.  There was never any way to keep all these guys happy since they were jumbled together in eligibility.   Someone had to blink. 

Even without a Freshman that some teammates have called The Franchise,  there still would be more than one odd man out.  Maybe not good for these guys individually that all thought they would be the guy, but as a Hog fan....it's remarkable how much talent we have vying for a single spot. 

No data to back this up, but I doubt we have ever had 4 guys (AA, RP, TS, and RT) rated as highly on the same team...and they might just get beat out by a guy that didn't come out of HS rated where any of them did. 
Poker Porker

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 24, 2016, 04:43:30 pm
I feel like if AA got hurt bad enough it would be Ty's job unless he just couldn't get it done. True freshmen just aren't Qb's in the SEC.  TS almost has to be the best option at this point and CBB has been giving him some pretty high praise.  Unless he just steps in and lays a massive egg I feel like it's his job to lose if AA goes down.

If AA gets hurt he Ty will definitely get his opportunity to make a strong case.

moses_007

We all thought Ty would be our savior when he was recruited.  Then we thought Town was going to be the next Mallett.  Both have struggled to make the starting team, and I'm surprised that Kelley wasn't named the backup for this year.  Good for Ty, though.  I hope he can go out there and really produce when his number is called.

tusksincolorado

I really like how this sounds....

"It was 100% guaranteed that there would be some QB transfers with the way we are stacked."
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

razoredge178

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 24, 2016, 04:58:29 pm
I mean, man, I don't think anyone really cares about what predictions people make on here. I guess it's important and memorable (for whatever reason) for the one who makes the prediction. It's like guys in the recruiting forum who say "I DUN TOLD YAWL HE WAS COMIN HERE." Like, congrats man, either he was or he wasn't, you had a 50/50 chance. I'm not gonna go hang out with my buddies and say "Y'all won't believe what razoredge178 predicted on Hogville."

Sorry to sound so sour but...I don't think anyone cares about someone being right or wrong on Hogville predictions...

Yah you definitely sound sour. And also like those posters that jump to the end of a topic, therefore forgoing the opportunity to gain context for someone's post- had you read above (way above) you'd see where I was told I must not know much about much if I didn't expect or know that a QB would transfer. I don't care to be insulted, especially if did in fact expect (predict) that 1, maybe even 2 QB's would leave.

Lake City Hog

Quote from: moses_007 on August 24, 2016, 05:48:35 pm
We all thought Ty would be our savior when he was recruited.  Then we thought Town was going to be the next Mallett.  Both have struggled to make the starting team, and I'm surprised that Kelley wasn't named the backup for this year.  Good for Ty, though.  I hope he can go out there and really produce when his number is called.

They are RS Freshmen! Only on Hogville do we hear disappointment that RS Freshmen are not All-SEC. Gragg and O'Grady are catching the same flak in another thread.

We should all be thrilled that we have older guys capable of fighting off the young pups. Just makes us stronger from top to bottom.

Bacons Rebellion

One year we had:

Gordon Norwood, Parade All-American, Freshman redshirt.

Jon Brittenum, past and future starter, future quarterbackin' man, future San Diego charger, redshirt junior.

Bill Gray, team captain, past starter, had thrown a 68 yard TD pass in the Sugar Bowl, rescued the game and season against Tulsa.

Ronnie South, future starter, would set the Hog career record for TD passes in one game, future New Orleans Saint, soph backup.

Fred Marshall, less heralded senior starter.

Turned out okay though, I guess.

Inhogswetrust

Perhaps you don't understand how all this works because with sports there is never a 100% certainty in anything due to so many variables. Due to the number of players at that position there was a very good probability of a transfer but not a 100% certainty.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi