Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best news from August practices

Started by Biggus Piggus, August 24, 2016, 09:07:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

These are my selections, in no particular order:

The emergence of De'Andre Coley as a viable first-team option at strong OR free safety. Coley has been a disruptive force with seven interceptions and loads of tackles in August workouts and scrimmages. At 6-1, 214, Coley has the size and speed of a pro-type safety. He is ready to make a difference, and Arkansas really needs that.

Austin Capps has earned a place in the defensive tackle rotation. Arkansas had many returning veterans inside, but the Star City freshman brings strength, mobility and energy that the coaches see as SEC-ready.

Randy Ramsey earned back his scholarship and ascended into an important role at defensive end. Ramsey brings edge-rushing speed that the Razorbacks had lacked.

Rawleigh Williams III and Devwah Whaley immediately looked like they were ready for the challenge of powering the Hogs' rushing machine. Things could unfold differently, but it is hard to nitpick what they have done so far.

Many players have confirmed that the Razorback defense focused in the offseason on leaning down and improving speed, quickness and agility. Players such as Jeremiah Ledbetter, Taiwan Johnson, Dwayne Eugene and Khalia Hackett got lighter and quicker.

Moreover, the Hogs - guided by new approaches from DC Robb Smith and secondary coach Paul Rhoads - have taken a more direct approach to preparing for spread and up-tempo offenses. Arkansas is not going to let receivers catch easy passes as a core defensive strategy. The Hogs are not going to run the legs off the pass rush in futility.

Arkansas will see spread/uptempo from Louisiana Tech, TCU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Auburn and Mississippi State. Even Alabama, Florida and LSU have adopted spread and up-tempo elements. The approach of gearing the defense to handle the SEC's most feared challenges (Alabama and LSU) has been modified, in part because the whole league has shifted.

Austin Allen has performed well, showing outstanding passing accuracy and the ability to use many different receivers. Don't know what I expected, but Allen's numbers have been strong, and practice reports indicate he is consistent.

Whether Arkansas starts Jared Cornelius, Drew Morgan, Keon Hatcher or Cody Hollister, the receiver positions are solid. At some point, Dominique Reed, Jordan Jones and Deon Stewart will add another level of speed.

That's what I have. How about you?
[CENSORED]!

go hogues

Great analysis.

One simple thing is the carryover of Coordinators. When was the last time we had two straight years of consistency in those positions?

I think that is a huge positive for this particular team.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Whaley will be in contention for SEC Freshman of the year.

He and RW3 will rush for 1000+ each.

AA will not have as good a year as BA's last, but will be very good nonetheless.

Agim will be a beast, causing double teams and frustration in the last half of the season.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bigred223

I'm especially happy to hear that Coley is showing something back there. We must have improvement at safety. I am interested to see who steps up at tight end behind sprinkle and how much dre has improved from freshman year at linebacker.

JIHawg

The left side of the offensive line will open some holes.  The great Dane will scare some people.  A great 2nd tight end will emerge.

a0ashle

You have to talk about Froholdt locking down guard, they haven't had to think twice about him over there. He'll make some learning mistakes, but the kid is a player.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: a0ashle on August 24, 2016, 09:26:15 am
You have to talk about Froholdt locking down guard, they haven't had to think twice about him over there. He'll make some learning mistakes, but the kid is a player.
It's absurd, really. A true sophmore with 3 years of football in his life and he never has taken a snap in college on offense yet not only is he the starter, he is impressive and not a worry to coaches or fans at all- against a stout DL daily. It's almost an after-thought. Hell, Biggus even missed it on his recap. Wow.
:razorback:
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

rljjr

TJ and DJ not hurt as badly as originally thought is also a good thing.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rljjr on August 24, 2016, 09:30:05 am
TJ and DJ not hurt as badly as originally thought is also a good thing.
no doubt, especially DJ
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 24, 2016, 09:18:00 am
Agim will be a beast, causing double teams and frustration in the last half of the season.

Yep. And the overall D-line depth will serve the Hogs well this season. Should have fresh legs with Oct 29th off...right before FLA and LSU come to town.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Boarmonger

Cantrell is going to prove he's a player.  Based on Coach B's remarks, he will be good and quickly.

All the DBs seemed, at his juncture at least, to have gotten better.  The coaches comments are really positive.

CKA is going to do some things with this OL.  They will be much better at technique and will get better as the season goes on.  I don't look for a slow start from them this year.   They will be relentless.

a0ashle

WR depth will mean some very good players won't even see the field (that's a good thing)

Jim Harris

Terrific summation, Biggus. But Biggus, you don't go to any practices, how can you know all this? Did you get any coaches quotes to back all this up? And wait, weren't you a sportswriter at one time, can we even trust you? (sarcasm alert).

If I were a sportswriter at a daily newspaper in Arkansas, I might plagiarize this and run it as my own.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HamHands

One day at a time.

ricepig

It will soon be September and game time, that's the best news.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 24, 2016, 09:07:17 am

The emergence of De'Andre Coley as a viable first-team option at strong OR free safety. Coley has been a disruptive force with seven interceptions and loads of tackles in August workouts and scrimmages. At 6-1, 214, Coley has the size and speed of a pro-type safety. He is ready to make a difference, and Arkansas really needs that.

Austin Capps has earned a place in the defensive tackle rotation. Arkansas had many returning veterans inside, but the Star City freshman brings strength, mobility and energy that the coaches see as SEC-ready.

Randy Ramsey earned back his scholarship and ascended into an important role at defensive end. Ramsey brings edge-rushing speed that the Razorbacks had lacked.

Rawleigh Williams III and Devwah Whaley immediately looked like they were ready for the challenge of powering the Hogs' rushing machine. Things could unfold differently, but it is hard to nitpick what they have done so far.

Many players have confirmed that the Razorback defense focused in the offseason on leaning down and improving speed, quickness and agility. Players such as Jeremiah Ledbetter, Taiwan Johnson, Dwayne Eugene and Khalia Hackett got lighter and quicker.

Moreover, the Hogs - guided by new approaches from DC Robb Smith and secondary coach Paul Rhoads - have taken a more direct approach to preparing for spread and up-tempo offenses. Arkansas is not going to let receivers catch easy passes as a core defensive strategy. The Hogs are not going to run the legs off the pass rush in futility.

Arkansas will see spread/uptempo from Louisiana Tech, TCU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Auburn and Mississippi State. Even Alabama, Florida and LSU have adopted spread and up-tempo elements. The approach of gearing the defense to handle the SEC's most feared challenges (Alabama and LSU) has been modified, in part because the whole league has shifted.

Austin Allen has performed well, showing outstanding passing accuracy and the ability to use many different receivers. Don't know what I expected, but Allen's numbers have been strong, and practice reports indicate he is consistent.

Whether Arkansas starts Jared Cornelius, Drew Morgan, Keon Hatcher or Cody Hollister, the receiver positions are solid. At some point, Dominique Reed, Jordan Jones and Deon Stewart will add another level of speed.

Good to hear on the valuing of speed.  IMO, Johnson wasted a season LY.  Hope to see him be that disruptive undersized dlineman we have seen with past Hogs. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 24, 2016, 09:52:30 am
It will soon be September and game time, that's the best news.
Stole my thunder!   >:(   It's almost over!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 24, 2016, 09:57:57 am
Stole my thunder!   >:(   It's almost over!

Early bird counts his chickens before the worm, or something like that......

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ricepig on August 24, 2016, 09:59:05 am

A worm in the bush is worth a hot branding iron!
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bphi11ips

I'll agree with Jim Harris. That's a pretty good summary.

I'd add that our linebackers seem to have added much needed depth with Josh Williams back and Da'Jon Harris showing future All-SEC potential.  That guy is a football player. 

It's also a good sign that we haven't heard much about the safeties.  No news is good news there, and no injuries.  The Hogs have a veteran group behind the front 9, and although Rohan Gaines was a good Razorback, he was also the weak link in pass coverage.  So addition by subtraction there.

The biggest thing for me is the general sense that Arkansas' s offense is going to be very good, but that's what I thought before Fall camp.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PonderinHog

Someone please lie and tell me our special teams are completely fixed.

sowmonella

Paul Rhoads is a huge upgrade. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

je100

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 24, 2016, 09:07:17 amAustin Allen has performed well, showing outstanding passing accuracy and the ability to use many different receivers. Don't know what I expected, but Allen's numbers have been strong, and practice reports indicate he is consistent.

By far for me.  If we can get Austin to play at a level that is close to Brandon's last year, we'll be fine.  With a less-than-Brandon quarterback last year, I believe we would have lost the Ole Miss game and the Auburn game, and closed out the season without a bowl game.

The schedule seems a little more favorable than last year, but I still think we need Austin to perform at some level similar to Brandon's last year to give us a chance for a great year.

FraggleHog

Quote from: sowmonella on August 24, 2016, 10:08:03 am
Paul Rhoads is a huge upgrade. :razorback:

Time will tell on this, but everything I've been reading in fall camp confirms this as true
Calling the Hogs from DFW

FraggleHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 24, 2016, 09:59:05 am

and people in glass houses sink ships...
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 24, 2016, 10:06:57 am

No punting. No field goal attempts. Only PAT's.

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 24, 2016, 10:06:57 am

It's excellent, I couldn't be more proud of their effort!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 24, 2016, 09:29:36 am
It's absurd, really. A true sophmore with 3 years of football in his life and he never has taken a snap in college on offense yet not only is he the starter, he is impressive and not a worry to coaches or fans at all- against a stout DL daily. It's almost an after-thought. Hell, Biggus even missed it on his recap. Wow.
:razorback:

I do not know what to think about Froholdt yet. That is why I did not include him. The fact that he is virtually unchallenged as the starting left guard is noteworthy in itself. I'm a bit too nervous about the whole Oline to call anything about it "good news."
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 24, 2016, 09:41:54 am
Terrific summation, Biggus. But Biggus, you don't go to any practices, how can you know all this? Did you get any coaches quotes to back all this up? And wait, weren't you a sportswriter at one time, can we even trust you? (sarcasm alert).

If I were a sportswriter at a daily newspaper in Arkansas, I might plagiarize this and run it as my own.

You made me spit coffee. Again.
[CENSORED]!

Bacon_Bitz

Don't forget the emergence of Hayden Johnson.

hogfansince79

I have a question for anyone that knows...

I remember back in the Spring, CBB said they moved Hedlund's fieldgoal attempts back a yard so he would be 8 yards deep instead of 7.  Are they still doing that?

I have read they have worked on and/or fixed the blocking, and that Cole is getting the ball up quicker.  After last year though, I hope they stay at 8 yards.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 24, 2016, 11:42:06 am
Don't forget the emergence of Hayden Johnson.

Coupled with depth at LB that allows the return of Kendrick Jackson to FB.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

rzrbk4life

I think another thing to note is we are relatively healthy to start the season as opposed to last. Hopefully I didn't just jinx us...
Let's call those hogs!!!!

BigSexyHog

This team will go as far as AA takes them.  Sucks balls to put so much on his shoulder but it is what it is.    The film on AA is pretty limited but who knows what he is/will do this year.  This team has the goods in a lot of places so I am expecting good things.   No slow start this year!!!!
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

TexArkHogFan

I hate to put too much emphasis on one game, but I think the TCU game will be a game changer as far as our season goes.  My, how things have changed since our SWC days.  This game used to be always a W for the Hogs.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

supersaint

Cantrell has the guns out and is ready to smash.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

GuvHog

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 24, 2016, 12:07:25 pm
This team will go as far as AA takes them.  Sucks balls to put so much on his shoulder but it is what it is.    The film on AA is pretty limited but who knows what he is/will do this year.  This team has the goods in a lot of places so I am expecting good things.   No slow start this year!!!!

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that he wants it on his shoulders that way. He's a 4th year Junior who has been preparing for this year from day one and he's probably licking his chops for a week from Saturday to get here.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LRrazorback

Nice job

Biggest surprise to me is Austin Capps. I thought Briston Guidry would be the young dlineman to see time. I thought Austin would transition to oline and be an interior lineman. Very nice surprise to have him in the two deep

daBoar

Excellent list; I wonder how close this might be to CBB's list.  On the other hand, why in no particular order; that seems anti-argumentative. 

I would like to know how the OP would have ranked these.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 24, 2016, 12:07:25 pm

I'll just say that I think this team will go as far as this team takes itself. It isn't going to be on the shoulders of Allen alone, though he is a very important cog in the machine. I would imagine that Enos is telling him to not try to be his brother, just relax and play his game, don't try to force balls, let the game come to him. If Allen just manages the offense, he has enough talent around him to make the offense go. And while we are talking about putting the game on someones shoulders, hello defense, time to show up big time.
Go Hogs Go!

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: FraggleHog on August 24, 2016, 10:16:47 am
and people in glass houses sink ships...

A scientific rocket tells no tales

Mulberry Squeezins

The two biggest happy faces for me are Ramsey and Capps. 

I'm not sure why I'm worried about the OL?  My heart tells me that the Line is Bielema's forte and will never be a weakness as long as he's our coach.  My gut tells me the front half of our schedule is tough, SEC game speed learning curve will need to be swift. 

oldbear

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 25, 2016, 07:10:35 am
I'll just say that I think this team will go as far as this team takes itself. It isn't going to be on the shoulders of Allen alone, though he is a very important cog in the machine. I would imagine that Enos is telling him to not try to be his brother, just relax and play his game, don't try to force balls, let the game come to him. If Allen just manages the offense, he has enough talent around him to make the offense go. And while we are talking about putting the game on someones shoulders, hello defense, time to show up big time.

From the bits and pieces I get from interviews and the red/white game, those things are exactly what AA needs to hear. I get the sense that although he and his brother seem close, he is definitely not his brother. If the fans get frustrated with anything this year, it will be that he will force some balls here and there and try to make the big throw. He seems to have a lot of confidence and a pretty doggone good arm.

I really believe this will be a fun year. Yes, we all build ourselves up for that but we wouldn't be fans if we didn't.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: daBoar on August 25, 2016, 04:13:58 am
Excellent list; I wonder how close this might be to CBB's list.  On the other hand, why in no particular order; that seems anti-argumentative. 

I would like to know how the OP would have ranked these.

I didn't have time to think that much. To me, the QB play, RB play, and philosophy changes on defense are all critically important.
[CENSORED]!

hawginbigd1

These are mine as well, I was thinking based on past performance that Edwards was going to be needed right away in order for us to achieve success in the Safety area, but apparently Coley and the other 2 are going to be much better. If we achieve higher levels of performance at safety and LB, this defense will be a lot closer to 2014 than 2015.

Ramsey well, if you can't be happy, excited, or proud of that turn-around you have something wrong with ya!

Capps being ready as a Frosh is icing.

Biggus Piggus

I wish someone would ask CBB this question on his radio show tonight.
[CENSORED]!

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.