Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harris gives a look inside at the Rafe Peavey decision

Started by SportsLife, August 23, 2016, 11:54:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on August 24, 2016, 11:47:31 am
He was going off of old info and wouldn't accept what was being told to him, that's Jim's fault. I assume he has the same access to Twitter and the SEC Network+ as the rest of us, pretty simple.

I beg your pardon? Who was telling me what?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

August 24, 2016, 02:23:08 pm #51 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:41:11 pm by Jim Harris
Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2016, 10:45:53 am
Except you were still saying it after it was announced he was coming back as a walk-on.

When someone corrected me on here, maybe you, did I not say, "Sorry, I stand corrected"? I believe I said, being in LR (and also on vacation right after the bowl game, in Pittsburg Landing TN to be exact), I was not at the Fayetteville news conference where Bielema did a 180 and said, "Oops, I spoke too soon about Randy Ramsey. He is coming back, as a walk-on." or something like that.

I've made mistakes. I'll make more. It was probably a mistake to even comment on this thread.

But, thanks for reading anyway.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 24, 2016, 11:20:46 am
I would like to encourage journalists to participate here, not invite them in and assault them.

Except for Bolin, because he's not a real journalist.
Bolin was confident enough in his information that he had an article written and ready to be published in the Southwest Times this morning.  And if you know the Sweater, you know that article had to be ready to go by about 7:00 pm last night. 

Bolin isn't a Hogcaller, but he is a decent writer.  As good as any others out there on the Hog beat.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 24, 2016, 02:23:08 pm
I when someone corrected me, did I not say, "Sorry, I stand corrected"? I believe I said, being in LR (and also on vacation right after the bowl game, in Pittsburg Landing TN to be exact), I was not at the Fayetteville news conference where Bielema did a 180 and said, "Oops, I spoke too soon about Randy Ramsey. He is coming back, as a walk-on." or something like that.

I've made mistakes. I'll make more. It was probably a mistake to even comment on this thread. I should lurk like other I know.
I just enjoy giving you a hard time.  Who doesn't make mistakes?  Other than HiM, Guv and FCJ.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 24, 2016, 02:19:08 pm
I beg your pardon? Who was telling me what?

People were posting on here that he had been accepted back as a walk on, and you continued to deny it. I seem to see where the problem is.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2016, 02:28:03 pm
I just enjoy giving you a hard time.  Who doesn't make mistakes?  Other than HiM, Guv and FCJ.

thanks. I give as good as I get sometimes. I'm with ya.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 24, 2016, 02:24:52 pm
Bolin isn't a Hogcaller, but he is a decent writer.  As good as any others out there on the Hog beat.

AYSM? That guys 5 senses can't keep up with all his assumptions.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on August 24, 2016, 10:15:01 am
Your timing was more than a bit off there Jim... What an idiotic response in return. And you wonder why many don't like you? 

I will take Factchecker's posts over your tripe all day every day.

I wonder why many don't like you? Do we even know each other. My day's not determined, nor what I write is determined, by what other people think. You can like it or hate it. Fine. What I told you was, on Dec. 16 or thereabouts, Bret Bielema says Randy Ramsey wouldn't be back. Then after the bowl game, it may have been Jan. 6, he said he was coming back. I didn't attend that press conference, nor did I see video, hear it or anything, and when somebody made the comment (probably you) that Ramsey was coming back or decided to get into a pissing match because that is what you do, I was going on the only information I had. I'll gladly admit I had dated info. On Jan. 6 and days before and after, I wasn't near the internet. Probably should try it again. Probably would do you some good, too.   

That was a typo on Fartchecker, but a funny one. Sorry your panties are in a wad. You two should get a room and talk about it.                                                           

Jim Harris

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 24, 2016, 08:39:08 am
Terrible article.

The whole premise is that Peavey lacks awareness which is a trait almost impossible to identify in high school recruits. Then he goes on to say that based on a couple games by a high school senior (Hyatt) the current QB's should be looking at transferring.

Also spent a whole paragraph with a subtle brag about his connections on the hill.

the premise was that Peavey got behind and fell down the depth chart. The premise about awareness is that Cole Kelley has it in his coach's opinion. Bielema said it. I'll work on writing better so you understand it better. Thanks for reading anyway.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2016, 02:28:03 pm

Huh??? Man I've made an art out of mistake making. I make more than my share of them.   :)
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 24, 2016, 03:12:58 pm
My two cents on the Jim Harris/Randy Ramsey deal.

Thank you. If not knowing Bielema did a 180 in separate press conferences a month apart about Randy Ramsey's playing again is the worst thing I ever did in journalism (it's not, by a long shot), I'd feel pretty good about everything, all told.

I feel like that horse. "How dare you not know that Bielema had another press conference about Ramsey. And you call yourself a media person?"

Sir Oinksalot

Jim, love your takes and opinions on game day, and glad you post here. You put yourself out there with real opinions and take heat sometimes ...you are appreciated .....

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 24, 2016, 05:39:40 am

It sounds like Storey and Townes might want to start looking also.

It seems I remember hearing something like this when it was announced that Townes was transferring here ?
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Iwastherein1969

I really liked this kid. Peavey will do well wherever he goes because he's got wheels. It's sad that a kid who likely wanted to be a Razorback all of his life, then became one, has to go away to find playing time. I have always thought and still think that Peavey is the best QB we have on the hill and if ever given the chance to prove so, besides practice reps, Rafe would certainly do so. So good luck Rafe, I think you've got the "right stuff" to be a very good D-1 Quarterback. Sorry things didn't work out in Fayetteville, but I promise you the girls are prettier and more importantly, much richer at SMU. Enjoy yourself, kid.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Doug

Thread cleaned up. Let's keep it on topic, shall we? :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 24, 2016, 02:41:37 pm
thanks. I give as good as I get sometimes. I'm with ya.
Always enjoy reading your contributions.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 24, 2016, 07:29:20 pm
I really liked this kid. Peavey will do well wherever he goes because he's got wheels. It's sad that a kid who likely wanted to be a Razorback all of his life, then became one, has to go away to find playing time. I have always thought and still think that Peavey is the best QB we have on the hill and if ever given the chance to prove so, besides practice reps, Rafe would certainly do so. So good luck Rafe, I think you've got the "right stuff" to be a very good D-1 Quarterback. Sorry things didn't work out in Fayetteville, but I promise you the girls are prettier and more importantly, much richer at SMU. Enjoy yourself, kid.

Uh, no. Practices are the proving grounds and no coach in his right mind is going to forsake his future by keeping the best players on the pine. Asinine.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 24, 2016, 02:45:00 pm
AYSM? That guys 5 senses can't keep up with all his assumptions.
Like I said, he's not Rick Schaeffer or Bo Mattingly in terms of the scarlet glasses.  At least he tries to add some objectivity and thought to the process. 

Pork Twain

Really does not matter what fans think,rather what the coaches know based off of what they actually see in practice every day

Oklahawg

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 24, 2016, 08:39:08 am
Terrible article.

The whole premise is that Peavey lacks awareness which is a trait almost impossible to identify in high school recruits. Then he goes on to say that based on a couple games by a high school senior (Hyatt) the current QB's should be looking at transferring.

Also spent a whole paragraph with a subtle brag about his connections on the hill.

I'd rather read Jim Harris when he is wrong than most Arkansas beat writers when they are correct. Just saying.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 25, 2016, 09:34:09 am
Like I said, he's not Rick Schaeffer or Bo Mattingly in terms of the scarlet glasses.  At least he tries to add some objectivity and thought to the process.

That's the problem with the media in general these days. Everything is an op-ed. Presenting facts and allowing readers to draw their own conclusions is no longer enough. Those egocentrics feel the need to tell everyone what they should think.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 25, 2016, 09:45:17 am
That's the problem with the media in general these days. Everything is an op-ed. Presenting facts and allowing readers to draw their own conclusions is no longer enough. Those egocentrics feel the need to tell everyone what they should think.

Well said.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 24, 2016, 02:24:52 pm

Bolin is going to struggle to cover any team if he doesn't work harder at building favorable relationships with players, coaches, and other media.

He could get a job resuscitating Otis Kirk's old "Grit" recruiting rag. That would help both of them, I suspect.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 25, 2016, 09:45:05 am
I'd rather read Jim Harris when he is wrong than most Arkansas beat writers when they are correct. Just saying.

Hmm....ok, to each his own.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on August 25, 2016, 09:48:06 am
Hmm....ok, to each his own.

Jim says I was wrong. Jim doesn't blow smoke - if UA is legitimately doing something well he'll acknowledge it, but won't call the half-full glass an overflowing font of goodness just because it might be true, or we want it to be true. He has an ability to work through the excitement created when a coach works the room in interviews and pressers, finding the real data embedded within. Mike Irwin does that. Richard Davenport does amazing things with recruiting.

Hard to say that Nate Allen or Wally Hall provide greater insights.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 25, 2016, 10:05:15 am
Jim says I was wrong. Jim doesn't blow smoke - if UA is legitimately doing something well he'll acknowledge it, but won't call the half-full glass an overflowing font of goodness just because it might be true, or we want it to be true. He has an ability to work through the excitement created when a coach works the room in interviews and pressers, finding the real data embedded within. Mike Irwin does that. Richard Davenport does amazing things with recruiting.

Hard to say that Nate Allen or Wally Hall provide greater insights.

I prefer Tom Murphy or Bob Holt, and Wally isn't a journalist, is he???

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: factchecker on August 24, 2016, 09:49:30 am
But then soon after Bielema said he rejoined the team as a walk-on.  He even said it in a press conference and you were still adamant that Ramsey wasn't part of the team.  Let me see if I can dig up the thread... here we go:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=608637.msg10156340#msg10156340

That is kinda comical.
This is my non-signature signature.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2016, 10:43:24 am
Agreed...  We do not need a dual-threat qb, or Rafe would be the starter.  We need a qb that can read defenses, make all the throws, and be mobile in the pocket to buy time.  I am not sure where all this "dual-threat" nonsense comes from.  There are a lot fewer of those guys with rings than there are guys like I described.
When we needed/wanted a dual threat QB, when Nutt was HC, we had one in Matt Jones. Jones could throw a 50 yd rope to the corner of the EZ for a game-winning TD and was the fastest guy on the team. What was our offense like with him? Nothing special for sure.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: lutherheggs on August 25, 2016, 10:16:27 am
When we needed/wanted a dual threat QB, when Nutt was HC, we had one in Matt Jones. Jones could throw a 50 yd rope to the corner of the EZ for a game-winning TD and was the fastest guy on the team. What was our offense like with him? Nothing special for sure.

Matt's arm worked in large part due to his legs. Miracle on Markham was exactly that, a miracle.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 24, 2016, 03:12:58 pm
My two cents on the Jim Harris/Randy Ramsey deal.

Why is that guy in the picture hitting a sleeping horse with his cane?

lutherheggs

Gosh, i have a tear in one of my eyes and my nose has become congested. Your third sentence reminded me of someone...hmm...cannot quite recall who I am thinking of. I think maybe same position too. Who is it? So sad.

hogsanity

. I have always thought and still think that Peavey is the best QB we have on the hill and if ever given the chance to prove so, besides practice reps, Rafe would certainly do so.

In other words if RP is put in a game where he can just run around he'll show you how good he is as a QB, but in practice when he actually has to throw precise passes and read defenses he just does not show what he can do.

Would you want them to start a WR who drops passes all over the practice field, or a Rb who fumbles every other time he gets touched in practice? Like it or not, you have to prove yourself in practice. Not that it does not happen, especially in movies, where the guy who has never shown much in practice is forced to play and turns out to be great, but those happenstances are few and far between.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lutherheggs

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2016, 10:27:49 am
In other words if RP is put in a game where he can just run around he'll show you how good he is as a QB, but in practice when he actually has to throw precise passes and read defenses he just does not show what he can do.

Would you want them to start a WR who drops passes all over the practice field, or a Rb who fumbles every other time he gets touched in practice? Like it or not, you have to prove yourself in practice. Not that it does not happen, especially in movies, where the guy who has never shown much in practice is forced to play and turns out to be great, but those happenstances are few and far between.
But, but, but...

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2016, 10:43:24 am
Agreed...  We do not need a dual-threat qb, or Rafe would be the starter.  We need a qb that can read defenses, make all the throws, and be mobile in the pocket to buy time.  I am not sure where all this "dual-threat" nonsense comes from.  There are a lot fewer of those guys with rings than there are guys like I described.
Besides Bama lately, anybody who has competed for or one championships have had DT QB's, so if you don't understand the desire then you aren't following closely enough IMO. I am on the fence about it. In other words it wouldn't suck to have a guy that can stretch the defense with his legs as well as make all the throws.

Pork Twain

Quote from: lutherheggs on August 25, 2016, 10:16:27 am
Yup, watched MJ his entire career and wished we would have had a real qb the entire time so that he could have been an unstoppable WR.  He was an amazing athlete, not an amazing qb

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 25, 2016, 10:53:18 am
Besides Bama lately, anybody who has competed for or one championships have had DT QB's, so if you don't understand the desire then you aren't following closely enough IMO. I am on the fence about it. In other words it wouldn't suck to have a guy that can stretch the defense with his legs as well as make all the throws.
Besides LSU and Bama, you are right, but since we are built to play like LSU and Bama, so...  A qb can be mobile in the pocket and make plays with his feet and not be ranked as a DT recruit.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 25, 2016, 10:53:18 am

There is a huge difference in what some of us define as DT and others. To me a dual threat is a guy who can avoid negative plays with his feet, and maybe break a couple scrambles for 1st downs in a game to keep drives moving. What some of you want/define it as is a guy who is going to run for 70 or 80 yards a game and is basically another RB that can also pass. IT is great to have a guy like that, it is great to build an offense around him, but ask the people at Auburn what happens when you can't find a guy like that. Those who pine for a DT want to see the qb running around like it's a JRhs game, where the Qb just runs around until something happens. Thankfully that is not what BB or Enos want, and that was the one thing I liked about Petrino, he did not do that here either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 25, 2016, 11:04:39 am
Yup, watched MJ his entire career and wished we would have had a real qb the entire time so that he could have been an unstoppable WR.  He was an amazing athlete, not an amazing qb

IntegrityHog

Robert Shields > Jim Harris

Not sure I want Jim checking my fatrts anyway

JoeyCapital

What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 25, 2016, 09:41:35 am
Really does not matter what fans think,rather what the coaches know based off of what they actually see in practice every day
well what the hail are we all doing in here spouting opinions about this or that.....during the Nutt era everyone was a coach, now one can't even mention in passing while saying good-bye to Rafe what my thoughts and opinions were  ?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2016, 10:27:49 am

all I was saying is that like race horses who work out well in the morning but when you send them over in the afternoon to actually compete, that ol' heart shrivels up like a prune and the horse gets beat at odds of 1-5....my point is that sometimes, not most of the time some guys are gamers and Rafe might be one of those types...nothing to get your panties in a wad about..it was JMHO

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 27, 2016, 01:40:24 am
all I was saying is that like race horses who work out well in the morning but when you send them over in the afternoon to actually compete, that ol' heart shrivels up like a prune and the horse gets beat at odds of 1-5....my point is that sometimes, not most of the time some guys are gamers and Rafe might be one of those types...nothing to get your panties in a wad about..it was JMHO

I have no doubt that Peavey has as big of a heart as anyone on the team. I don't think that is in question.

This may be a simple case of other QB's improving their overall game at a faster pace than others and when that happens, no matter which position you play, you get passed up. It may not be a case of the player not being "good", it just may be a case of others finally getting better. Increased levels of competition tend to produce those results. 
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

I enjoyed the article.

As far as coverage, I enjoy reading professional writers with connections who cover the team. That's three separate and distinct qualifications. By "professional," I mean someone with a college degree who is a media employee and makes a living writing said articles.

In other words, I miss the days of Orville Henry and Jim Bailey. I put Jim Harris and Nate Allen in that category as well. Tom Murphy. I would much rather read their articles than what a blogger writes.

Of course, I miss newspapers, too.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 24, 2016, 08:02:02 am
Good luck

...but it sounds like Kelley will be pushing Allen.

at 6'7" and 258, he can push almost anybody he wants.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

WBOBO

For all you semi-old timers I would like the #4 barking signals on the hill again.  I really want to see us get out of the pocket and running yet still have a decent passing game.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 27, 2016, 01:35:12 am
well what the hail are we all doing in here spouting opinions about this or that.....during the Nutt era everyone was a coach, now one can't even mention in passing while saying good-bye to Rafe what my thoughts and opinions were  ?
Obviously he was not the best QB.  Time to move on.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: lutherheggs on August 24, 2016, 02:10:30 pm
"...and not just because he had been an average small-school quarterback in the not-so-hotbed-of-preps Missouri."

He was just an average QB at a small school? Then why was he ever given a scholarship?

I guess he accidentally became a Under Armour All-American. Snuck in like Karla from "Tinker, Tailor".