Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harris gives a look inside at the Rafe Peavey decision

Started by SportsLife, August 23, 2016, 11:54:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

Sounds like Hyatt will be the real deal. Best of luck to Peavey. Hope he kicks butt over at SMU

Mike_e

Congrats to Jim on the new gig.

Also congrats to Rafe.  Dallas isn't such a bad place and having helped the mustangs along will get you a lot of support in becoming successful there.

All the best to the young man.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Hawghiggs

It sounds like Storey and Townes might want to start looking also.

JaketheSnake

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 24, 2016, 05:39:40 am
Also sounds like Austin better enjoy that starting spot to the fullest because he may not have it past this year
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 24, 2016, 12:15:30 am
Sounds like Hyatt will be the real deal. Best of luck to Peavey. Hope he kicks butt over at SMU
Hyatt?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

Who is this Townes you speak of?"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Mike_e on August 24, 2016, 03:46:32 am
Congrats to Jim on the new gig.

Also congrats to Rafe.  Dallas isn't such a bad place and having helped the mustangs along will get you a lot of support in becoming successful there.

All the best to the young man.

oh and best of all.... they have a bunch of nice fillies at SMOO... Rafe should be in high cotton as new BMOC...

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

DeltaBoy

Best of luck to Rafe, He paid his dues and just could not break through into the line up. Best of Luck in Dallas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog.goblin

Darian isn't worried.  He's got a gig in the D-League.

hogcard1964

Good luck

...but it sounds like Kelley will be pushing Allen.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 24, 2016, 07:57:57 am
Darian isn't worried.  He's got a gig in the D-League.

LOL.
That's who I thought of immediately as well.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 24, 2016, 08:02:02 am
Good luck

...but it sounds like Kelley will be pushing Allen.

The competition will only make them better.  That's a good thing.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

OutlawHawg

Terrible article.

The whole premise is that Peavey lacks awareness which is a trait almost impossible to identify in high school recruits. Then he goes on to say that based on a couple games by a high school senior (Hyatt) the current QB's should be looking at transferring.

Also spent a whole paragraph with a subtle brag about his connections on the hill.

factchecker

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 24, 2016, 08:39:08 am
Also spent a whole paragraph with a subtle brag about his connections on the hill.

Does Jim go to all the fall camp practices.  I'm probably wrong but I don't ever remember seeing him at the post practice interviews.  This was the guy that didn't even know Randy Ramsey was back on the team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 24, 2016, 08:39:08 am
Terrible article.

The whole premise is that Peavey lacks awareness which is a trait almost impossible to identify in high school recruits. Then he goes on to say that based on a couple games by a high school senior (Hyatt) the current QB's should be looking at transferring.

That's right, you don't like the message so hate the messenger.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2016, 09:03:32 am
The premise that college qb's should be worried about a high school senior is nonsense.  It's the thing that gives us 6 pages of speculation of which freshman is going to take the job of the junior.  College football QB speculation is almost completely nonsense.

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2016, 09:03:32 am

Why can fans second guess coaches but not second guess media members?

Too many people trust the filter that is sports media to provide them with accurate information.  I'd rather listen to actual press conferences and combine that will gameday performance/stats to form an opinion than have someone tell me "like it is".

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 24, 2016, 09:06:18 am
The premise that college qb's should be worried about a high school senior is nonsense.  It's the thing that gives us 6 pages of speculation of which freshman is going to take the job of the junior.  College football QB speculation is almost completely nonsense.

Especially seeing that the high school senior hasn't even signed.  A lot can happen between now and signing day.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: factchecker on August 24, 2016, 09:08:24 am
Why can fans second guess coaches but not second guess media members?

Too many people trust the filter that is sports media to provide them with accurate information.  I'd rather listen to actual press conferences and combine that will gameday performance/stats to form an opinion than have someone tell me "like it is".

We need both. Press conferences, in truth, should yield little useful information. If they are done right. Coaches should have no interest in helping opponents scout them.

Fans want to know more than what coaches want opponents to know/not know. At least most of us do. If you want to rely solely on what coaches say, you are going to be wrong most of the time.
[CENSORED]!

factchecker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 24, 2016, 09:13:28 am
We need both. Press conferences, in truth, should yield little useful information. If they are done right. Coaches should have no interest in helping opponents scout them.

Fans want to know more than what coaches want opponents to know/not know. At least most of us do. If you want to rely solely on what coaches say, you are going to be wrong most of the time.

I agree with that point too.  It's tough,though, in today's environment of click bait sensationalism to trust anyone in media.  I've seen media take snippets from a press conference and tweet it to frame it completely out of context.  My suggestion is to read the blogs and articles but do some factchecking and listen to the actual source as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Jim Harris

August 24, 2016, 09:38:42 am #22 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:04:58 am by Jim Harris
Quote from: factchecker on August 24, 2016, 08:42:51 am
Does Jim go to all the fall camp practices.  I'm probably wrong but I don't ever remember seeing him at the post practice interviews.  This was the guy that didn't even know Randy Ramsey was back on the team.

No, this was a guy who trusted Bret Bielema when HE SAID Randy Ramsey would not be rejoining the team. Please get your facts right at least on that. Did Bielema do a 180 on that a month later? Yes, and I was not aware of that at that moment. Fortunately, many on Hogville are always aware to set the unaware right. ;)

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on August 24, 2016, 09:34:00 am
I agree with that point too.  It's tough,though, in today's environment of click bait sensationalism to trust anyone in media.  I've seen media take snippets from a press conference and tweet it to frame it completely out of context.  My suggestion is to read the blogs and articles but do some factchecking and listen to the actual source as well.

Never believe anything you read.  Or hear.  Make up your own mind based upon your own experience.  U.S. media is unique.  It is a blessing, but at times it can be a curse, especially in the digital age.  Ubiquity does not create journalists.  Journalists are professionals.  Amateur blogs are marketing tools at worst and hobbies at best. 

Jim Harris is a veteran member of Arkansas media.  He is exactly right about Rafe Peavey.  Peavey realized he was the odd man out in terms of Arkansas' s offense and his skills and size.  As much as he wanted to play for the Hogs, he wants to play more.  He stuck it out and made a difficult decision at the latest possible moment. 

How can anyone be critical of that?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

factchecker

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 24, 2016, 09:38:42 am
No, this was a guy who trusted Bret Bielema when HE SAID Randy Ramsey would not be rejoining the team. Get your facts right, fartchecker.

But then soon after Bielema said he rejoined the team as a walk-on.  He even said it in a press conference and you were still adamant that Ramsey wasn't part of the team.  Let me see if I can dig up the thread... here we go:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=608637.msg10156340#msg10156340
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Vantage 8 dude

Might want to wait a little before making such an assessment. One never knows what might happen with AA and others. Potential injuries and other such unexpected situations mean a player never knows. Besides, at any good program you're going to have quality competition at pretty much every position.

razorsharptusk

According to the article, it seems that Peavey was really our most "mobile" QB on the roster.  He has transferred so that leaves us with QB's that have tall stature and good arms, but are probably not considered the mobile type.  How do you guys feel about not having that mobility option in a QB when it seems to be a proven point that mobile QB's really help to keep a defense honest and such. 

I think back to our Mallet days and while he had a great arm, there were several times I wish he could have just sprinted for a first down or ran to escape a sack or pressure.  Do you guys think this element will be lost among our QB's that we have left on the roster?  Do we need this element in our QB's in order to have success with this offense or for that matter in the season?
GO HOGS!!

Pork Twain

Quote from: razorsharptusk on August 24, 2016, 10:17:48 am
According to the article, it seems that Peavey was really our most "mobile" QB on the roster.  He has transferred so that leaves us with QB's that have tall stature and good arms, but are probably not considered the mobile type.  How do you guys feel about not having that mobility option in a QB when it seems to be a proven point that mobile QB's really help to keep a defense honest and such. 

I think back to our Mallet days and while he had a great arm, there were several times I wish he could have just sprinted for a first down or ran to escape a sack or pressure.  Do you guys think this element will be lost among our QB's that we have left on the roster?  Do we need this element in our QB's in order to have success with this offense or for that matter in the season?
I guess it depends on what you consider mobile and what offense you run. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgar The Horrible

Kelley ran for 286 yds and 8 TD's as a Pro Style QB his senior season at Teurlings. He's got some wheels.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

hogcam

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 24, 2016, 06:48:51 am
Also sounds like Austin better enjoy that starting spot to the fullest because he may not have it past this year
Not even close to being true. Austin Allen is the best QB on campus by a large margin.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2016, 10:15:31 am
It is in someone's signature on here

It was in mine until buldozer somehow topped it.
  :o

To be fair though:

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 24, 2016, 09:56:12 am
I know this scenario all too well.

Ramsey was off according to BB.
I repeated that to wupigsuey to answer his question.

Then Ramsey was back on according to BB again, and wupigsuey got his panties in a wad that I was just making it up as I went along.
His response to me:

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2016, 10:29:07 am
If we need a dual threat QB to run this offense, we're basically screwed.   IMO 

Austin may need to buy some time with his feet this year, just like every year, and I think he's capable of doing that.  Maybe not as quick as BA, but tougher.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 24, 2016, 10:29:07 am

Mallett actually had good pocket presence and was mobile in it.  Like Twain says, you have to define what you are wanting in mobility.  A true run/pass threat to the point his running ability makes up for things like inferior arm strength or accuracy.  One where the defense must account for the qb's running ability.  Or mobile enough to get a first down when it is there, extend plays and get out of trouble - which when healthy BA showed he could do last season and I believe AA will show as well.  I don't know that our qb's are immobile.  They just aren't what would be considered DT. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 24, 2016, 10:36:40 am
If we need a dual threat QB to run this offense, we're basically screwed.   IMO 

Austin may need to buy some time with his feet this year, just like every year, and I think he's capable of doing that.  Maybe not as quick as BA, but tougher.

They both ran some in high school, they aren't statues. I seem to remember BA avoiding the rush more his SR year, than Austin the next, but I only saw them in person when we played them those two seasons

Pork Twain

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 24, 2016, 10:38:29 am
Mallett actually had good pocket presence and was mobile in it.  Like Twain says, you have to define what you are wanting in mobility.  A true run/pass threat to the point his running ability makes up for things like inferior arm strength or accuracy.  One where the defense must account for the qb's running ability.  Or mobile enough to get a first down when it is there, extend plays and get out of trouble - which when healthy BA showed he could do last season and I believe AA will show as well.  I don't know that our qb's are immobile.  They just aren't what would be considered DT. 
Agreed...  We do not need a dual-threat qb, or Rafe would be the starter.  We need a qb that can read defenses, make all the throws, and be mobile in the pocket to buy time.  I am not sure where all this "dual-threat" nonsense comes from.  There are a lot fewer of those guys with rings than there are guys like I described.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hogsanity

Mobile as in avoid a rusher and buy a little time to either find an open receiver or throw it away? Or mobile as in take off running as soon as his 1st option is not open? Or as in run around like he's on the playground relying on his athleticism to get out of bad situations? Mobile as in running the option? Some other definition?

If this offense NEEDS a guy to do anything other than the 1st thing I mentioned, then it won't even be this offense because this offense does not even need anything from the QB as far as mobility.

What really excited some people about RP was they heard he was a "running qb" and had visions of us running some kid of spread or option with the qb running all over the place or running 70 yards just to get back to the LOS when a pass play breaks down.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 24, 2016, 09:38:42 am
No, this was a guy who trusted Bret Bielema when HE SAID Randy Ramsey would not be rejoining the team. Get your facts right, fartchecker.
Except you were still saying it after it was announced he was coming back as a walk-on.

PonderinHog

PonderinHog

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2016, 10:43:28 am
Mobile as in avoid a rusher and buy a little time to either find an open receiver or throw it away? Or mobile as in take off running as soon as his 1st option is not open? Or as in run around like he's on the playground relying on his athleticism to get out of bad situations? Mobile as in running the option? Some other definition?

If this offense NEEDS a guy to do anything other than the 1st thing I mentioned, then it won't even be this offense because this offense does not even need anything from the QB as far as mobility.

What really excited some people about RP was they heard he was a "running qb" and had visions of us running some kid of spread or option with the qb running all over the place or running 70 yards just to get back to the LOS when a pass play breaks down.

This.
I'm so tired of the mobile QB crowd.
Finding one with an accurate arm is nigh-impossible.

If the QB can buy time and give the occasional 5-12 yard scramble ala' BA or Tyler, that's good enough.
Even Mallett, the stone footed, knew how to shift and sidestep to buy time.
He just couldn't buy time like the other two, let alone scramble.
His response to me:

Biggus Piggus

I would like to encourage journalists to participate here, not invite them in and assault them.

Except for Bolin, because he's not a real journalist.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

If you cannot handle being called out for being wrong, maybe a message board is not a place for you.  I know I get called out all the time and I am ok with that.  It keeps one honest.

This was a pretty good article by Jim.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 24, 2016, 11:20:46 am
I would like to encourage journalists to participate here, not invite them in and assault them.

Except for Bolin, because he's not a real journalist.

In other words, we need to like who you like and don't like who you don't like.

Aside from that, I like Jim and have no issue with him. I also do not care for Bolin.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

bphi11ips

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 24, 2016, 11:18:44 am
This.
I'm so tired of the mobile QB crowd.
Finding one with an accurate arm is nigh-impossible.

If the QB can buy time and give the occasional 5-12 yard scramble ala' BA or Tyler, that's good enough.
Even Mallett, the stone footed, knew how to shift and sidestep to buy time.
He just couldn't buy time like the other two, let alone scramble.

Phil Rivers is the most difficult sack I've ever seen.  He'll deliver a 50 yard strike just before 3 guys slam him.  And he's 6-5, 230, and 34 with two knee braces.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 24, 2016, 11:32:11 am
Phil Rivers is the most difficult sack I've ever seen.  He'll deliver a 50 yard strike just before 3 guys slam him.  And he's 6-5, 230, and 34 with two knee braces.

I can recall some of the best defensive players of that day claim Marino ticked them off more than any other QB.  His quick, accurate release and game awareness would leave them hitting an empty-handed Marino all the time.

His response to me:

Virgil

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 24, 2016, 06:48:51 am

Barring injury Austin is our QB these next two years. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

HoggieStyle

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 24, 2016, 11:24:34 am
In other words, we need to like who you like and don't like who you don't like.

Aside from that, I like Jim and have no issue with him. I also do not care for Bolin.

No. Just Bolin.
[CENSORED]!

lutherheggs

"...and not just because he had been an average small-school quarterback in the not-so-hotbed-of-preps Missouri."

He was just an average QB at a small school? Then why was he ever given a scholarship?

Jim Harris

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 24, 2016, 11:32:11 am

another QB recruiting saga that Nutt screwed up. Just throwing that out there. Cutler too.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson