Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS (Tribune Broadcasting) and Dish Network

Started by Boles Hog, August 19, 2016, 11:24:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boles Hog

I'm starting to panic a little bit with the situation between CBS (Tribune Broadcasting) and Dish Network. 

Football season is almost here, and I don't have access to the local CBS affiliate (KFSM).  I live an hour South of Fort Smith and cannot pick up Channel 5 OTA.

Anyone have any suggestions?

hamsam

switch to DirecTV. The remote sucks but the service is way better to me...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

rhames

Quote from: hamsam on August 19, 2016, 11:29:31 am

I used to be a naysayer but this is where it is at

You will also get nfl sunday ticket for free

But don't panic. CBS and dish will figure it out. Happens all the time
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hog in Iowa

NBC and Dish have not figured it out at our locate Des Moines affiliate for over 2 months now.  We've missed the whole Olympics although we can still get the other off-brand Olympic channels.
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

Professor Psychosis

Pretty sure CBS streams SEC football free on their website, CBSsports.com the last few years.  Worst case scenario, there you go.

rhames

Quote from: Hog in Iowa on August 19, 2016, 12:13:37 pm
NBC and Dish have not figured it out at our locate Des Moines affiliate for over 2 months now.  We've missed the whole Olympics although we can still get the other off-brand Olympic channels.

It isn't NBC in this case it's who owns the nbc affiliate in your market

They are  most likely trying to hike up the rates on dish

Same thing for the op

HD antenna should work for your locals I would think

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

goodguytex

Quote from: rhames on August 19, 2016, 12:20:00 pm

Same thing for the op
NBC and CBS affiliates where I live come through just great and I've been with dish since 2000. Like Rhames said, it's the affiliate owner causing the problem. Not Dish.

hogsanity

Usually the problems between a local affiliate and dish ( or direct or cable because it happens with ALL of them ) is not just money, but the local affiliate wanting to secure carriage of a secondary digital channel or multiple digital channels.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

younghog

GO HOGS

goodguytex

Quote from: younghog on August 19, 2016, 12:51:12 pm
Stick with DISH
Yeah... I've had no major complaints with Dish the entire time I've used them.

31to6

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 19, 2016, 12:15:52 pm
Pretty sure CBS streams SEC football free on their website, CBSsports.com the last few years.  Worst case scenario, there you go.

^^^^ cable cutter here.. watched all the games this way... that + Sling($20 with sports extra +$5) = all SEC football

GolfnHog

Quote from: 31to6 on August 19, 2016, 12:55:23 pm

^^^^ cable cutter here.. watched all the games this way... that + Sling($20 with sports extra +$5) = all SEC football

and after football season, in Jan.  you can cancel the sports extra and add it back on in August in time for all the pre season news and games.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Boles Hog

Quote from: hamsam on August 19, 2016, 11:29:31 am

No way will I switch to DirectTV....  Had it for a while.  I currently have a Tailgater ball for Dish and IT is where is at....  Tried to camp and tailgate with a DirectTV satellite set-up and HATED it!!!!

Boles Hog

Quote from: rhames on August 19, 2016, 12:20:00 pm

Same thing for the op

HD antenna should work for your locals I would think

Where I live, I can't get KFSM with an OTA antenna.

Boles Hog

Quote from: 31to6 on August 19, 2016, 12:55:23 pm

Can I connect to my TV with an HDMI cable.  Is it in HD?

hogsanity

Quote from: Boles Hog on August 19, 2016, 01:35:54 pm
Where I live, I can't get KFSM with an OTA antenna.

Are you actually in Boles? If so, yea you can't get anything ota down there. I used to manage a cable system in Waldron and one in Casa and one in Pencil Bluff. IT's like a signal black hole in that area.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boles Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 19, 2016, 01:38:17 pm
Are you actually in Boles? If so, yea you can't get anything ota down there. I used to manage a cable system in Waldron and one in Casa and one in Pencil Bluff. IT's like a signal black hole in that area.

Yes....I'm in Boles.....  Hopefully, there will be a way to view the games via the internet!

31to6

Quote from: Boles Hog on August 19, 2016, 01:37:20 pm
Can I connect to my TV with an HDMI cable.  Is it in HD?
Yes. I use Roku 4. There are also sling apps for Linux, Mac and PC. Also for Amazon Fire. (not yet on AppleTV, in the works).

(Also available on iPhone/iPad and Android, so you can stream live tv on the go as well... up to 3 devices simultaneously with (still cheap) upgraded package)

Sling is 720P or 1080P depending on channel. Alternately you can log into the WatchESPN app (also on Roku and most other such devices) and stream directly from ESPN if you prefer.

mphshog

This happens all the time. It doesn't matter if your with Dish or DirecTV. It will be resolved before the season starts. I agree that the new DirecTV remotes suck. :puke:
Baseball.  NUFF SAID

Hoot72

I live in the channel 5 area, and I called DISH today about this very thing.  They told me that they think it is getting close to being resolved.  I told them that was not good enough.  In 2 weeks, I would have CBS, either on Dish or on another carrier.  They suggested that I buy a $20.00 HDTV antenna, that will actually plug into the receiver that I have.  They gave me a $20.00 discount on this months' bill, and gave me free HD from now on (about $10.00 per month).  I will go to Best Buy, or WalMart, get the antenna, and see what happens!

Talon

Quote from: younghog on August 19, 2016, 12:51:12 pm
Stick with DISH
I agree. I think it was last year this time that DTV couldn't agree on terms for the SEC Network but DISH had the agreement in hand. This type of disagreement happens on a regular basis.

fullfan

Quote from: Hoot72 on August 19, 2016, 04:55:00 pm
I live in the channel 5 area, and I called DISH today about this very thing.  They told me that they think it is getting close to being resolved.  I told them that was not good enough.  In 2 weeks, I would have CBS, either on Dish or on another carrier.  They suggested that I buy a $20.00 HDTV antenna, that will actually plug into the receiver that I have.  They gave me a $20.00 discount on this months' bill, and gave me free HD from now on (about $10.00 per month).  I will go to Best Buy, or WalMart, get the antenna, and see what happens!

Please let us know how that antenna works in picking up kfsm.

ThaHill

Quote from: mphshog on August 19, 2016, 04:14:44 pm
This happens all the time. It doesn't matter if your with Dish or DirecTV. It will be resolved before the season starts. I agree that the new DirecTV remotes suck. :puke:

Is it as bad as the AT&T U-verse remote? You have to have a direct line to the receiver or it won't work. I was thinking about switching back to DTV, but if they switched to a new, crappy remote I'll save the headache and stick with the crappy remote I already have.

rhames

Quote from: ThaHill on August 20, 2016, 10:28:58 am
Is it as bad as the AT&T U-verse remote? You have to have a direct line to the receiver or it won't work. I was thinking about switching back to DTV, but if they switched to a new, crappy remote I'll save the headache and stick with the crappy remote I already have.

The remote sucks but all the other perks make up for this. Just get a universal remote or a small tablet to control all your electronics. What I did.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 19, 2016, 12:15:52 pm

Thanks! good idea

longtimeHogfan

It's just a chess match.  One wanting more $'s than the other is willing to pay.  They'll come together to an agreed amount before the start of the season.  We see it all the time.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

rhames

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 20, 2016, 02:15:12 pm
It is impossible for me to care about what you are saying Rhames unless you tell us more about the hot chick in your avatar photo.  Smokin!  (Now don't go changing avatar photos on me....) 

Charolette Mckinney

Not much junk in the trunk but the rack is a handful

BPsTheMan

HoopS

that is how I would handle it. Voice your concern. Let them know others, Directv, have wonderful offers for you. And you *will* have CBS one way or another the only question is will you keep you service with them or take your money elsewhere. They'll find you a deal or two.

BPsTheMan

thanks - I called and Dish is sending that free of charge

PorcineSublime

So this has always puzzled me. A cable TV or Satellite provider has to buy the equipment to get an acceptable signal of the local station to send to its users. The local station gets increased viewership which increases their market share/ad revenues and then the local station gets to hold the provider hostage for even more money for something they shouldn't have to pay for in the first place. Of course local is a misnomer considering almost all "local" stations are far from it.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Hoot72

I went and bought the 50 mile antenna at Wal-Mart for $29.95, and got it installed.  If everyone in the room sits still in the room, the reception is not bad -- there are just too many hills between Prairie Grove and Fort Smith.  What I am going to do is return the antenna, pay the $9.95 for the All-Access CBS, and have it on the computer.  I have two techno-geek sons, that may be able to tell me how to get it from the computer to the TV.

Dr. Starcs

My cbs and abc on antenna are great.

Nbc and fox not so much.

Boles Hog

Quote from: Hoot72 on August 27, 2016, 06:13:27 pm
I went and bought the 50 mile antenna at Wal-Mart for $29.95, and got it installed.  If everyone in the room sits still in the room, the reception is not bad -- there are just too many hills between Prairie Grove and Fort Smith.  What I am going to do is return the antenna, pay the $9.95 for the All-Access CBS, and have it on the computer.  I have two techno-geek sons, that may be able to tell me how to get it from the computer to the TV.

Tried to sign up for CBS All-Access....was told it was unavaialble in our area!!!! 

PiggoBitttys

Getting Dish installed today, out in Madison County. Have to get internet through a Verizon LTE Router and pay by the GB, so streaming anything very long gets pricey. Hope the local channels are working through Dish out here!

Never had Dish or Direct

hogsanity

Quote from: PorcineSublime on August 27, 2016, 05:21:55 pm
So this has always puzzled me. A cable TV or Satellite provider has to buy the equipment to get an acceptable signal of the local station to send to its users. The local station gets increased viewership which increases their market share/ad revenues and then the local station gets to hold the provider hostage for even more money for something they shouldn't have to pay for in the first place. Of course local is a misnomer considering almost all "local" stations are far from it.

It goes back several decades now when the FCC adopted must carry & retransmission consent after the broadcasters lobby demanded it. In the old days fo cable, local operators would just put up a antenna and get the local channels that way, run them through a couple pieces of equipment and put them on the channel lineup. In amny areas you could get netwrok stations from different markets ( at one time here in FS we had 3 ABC affiliates, FS, Tulsa, and LR ). Long story short, the broadcaster lobby was successful in not only requiring cable operators to carry all local channels, but also in making them drop outside market affiliates if the local channels requested it, AND in allowing local bradcasters to opt for retrans consent instead of must carry. Well, small stations usually went for must carry, to widen their coverage area, but the bigger stations ( like KFSM ) opted for retrans which meant $.

But, as digital came about, it meant more than $. It often meant demanding the local cable/sat provider also carry any sub channels that the mother station was now offering, and demanding preferred channel placement as well. In some markets, a big network affil might have 2,3 or 4 digital siblings, some with 24 local weather or repeats of the local news, and so to gain carriage of the big channel, a provider ends u paying cash AND has to find a place for 3 channels that no body watches. And pretty much everyone pays the ransom, but Charlie, the CEO of Dish is the exception, he has always been tough on carriage fees.

k.c.hawg

Very unlikely that this will carry over into the NFL season, just like  DTV was not going into football season without SEC Network. Agreement before Sunday the 11th.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

GuvHog

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on September 01, 2016, 08:46:26 am
Getting Dish installed today, out in Madison County. Have to get internet through a Verizon LTE Router and pay by the GB, so streaming anything very long gets pricey. Hope the local channels are working through Dish out here!

Never had Dish or Direct

Check out Hughesnet Satellite Internet. It does cut out when it rains real hard but it's well worth the $89.00 a month I pay for the service.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

tasteslikechicken

I've been pissed about the KFSM outage ever since it happened back in mid June. I called the 800 number and got the free antenna only to find out it wouldn't pick up KFSM where I live.  I put the antenna in a cabinet and forgot about it. That was over 2 months ago. This week I decided i'd run another channel scan to see if anything had changed and BINGO baby!! Picked up 11 channels and KFSM was one!! Felt like I had just won the lottery. LOL Guess I'll stick it out a little longer. Like others have said, I have thought all along it would be miraculously be resolved by the first NFL Sunday.