Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Goal for this Season

Started by WilsonHog, July 28, 2017, 08:33:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

As I watched replays of our 1981 game with Texas, when I was 18 years old, I started thinking about when I first became a Razorback fan. I was 14, and the 1977 season was when I really started following the Razorbacks religiously. There was no cynicism, no skepticism, no frustration. I didn't know or care how much money our head coach made. I didn't know or care about which players had committed or decommitted. What I did know was the name, number, position, height, weight, year of eligibility, and hometown of every player on our two-deep. What I did believe was that getting to go to a Razorback game was a special occasion, something to be looked forward to with great anticipation. That's why I ultimately went to UA - to be part of the Razorback experience. I could think of nothing greater.

My goal for this season is to get that mindset back. Doing so is dependent on one person - me.

Woo Pig!!

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

Arch Hog

Now that is a WORTHY goal!  there is so much out there now, and I enjoy it like everyone else, but the simple, pure fandom is what brought most of us to the table.  I remember being a 11 year old kid, making a sign to put in the front yard to support the Hogs, then crying (when I was sure no one was looking) when we lost to the hated 'Horns in '69.

Worthy goal Wilson, best of luck in your quest!

hamsam

I'm with you Wilson. You basically described the same story I could tell (except I was 10 in '81) and the same reason that I attended the UofA.
I did much better last year by not getting too pissy when we lost and I fully intend to maintainthat composure this season!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

hogman64

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 28, 2017, 08:33:59 am
As I watched replays of our 1981 game with Texas, when I was 18 years old, I started thinking about when I first became a Razorback fan. I was 14, and the 1977 season was when I really started following the Razorbacks religiously. There was no cynicism, no skepticism, no frustration. I didn't know or care how much money our head coach made. I didn't know or care about which players had committed or decommitted. What I did know was the name, number, position, height, weight, year of eligibility, and hometown of every player on our two-deep. What I did believe was that getting to go to a Razorback game was a special occasion, something to be looked forward to with great anticipation. That's why I ultimately went to UA - to be part of the Razorback experience. I could think of nothing greater.

My goal for this season is to get that mindset back. Doing so is dependent on one person - me.

Woo Pig!!

That is a good post.....

jst01

What I did believe was that getting to go to a Razorback game was a special occasion, something to be looked forward to with great anticipation.

This is the key and what I have chosen to do over the last few years. Once you stop attributing the enjoyment of the experience to whether the game was won or lost, then the actual game day / game weekend can be an awesome thing. That also forces you to temper expectations from "I'm not happy unless we win 9+" to "I'm happy I got to go spend the weekend hanging out, tailgating, watching football all day with friends and having a bunch of cold ones".

jkstock04

Woo Pig!!
First thing that popped into my head when reading this...stay off the internet of anything Hog related. Simply read the sports section in the newspaper. That'll be the only way to accomplish this goal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 28, 2017, 09:51:07 am
First thing that popped into my head when reading this...stay off the internet of anything Hog related. Simply read the sports section in the newspaper. That'll be the only way to accomplish this goal.

Or ban everyone.......

WilsonHog

I suspect you are exactly right. Far too much negativity on social media, and not just about the Razorbacks. I actually miss the days when my news about the Hogs came almost exclusively from Orville Henry, Jim Bailey, and Nate Allen.

ricepig

Quote from: Arch Hog on July 28, 2017, 08:59:32 am
Now that is a WORTHY goal!  there is so much out there now, and I enjoy it like everyone else, but the simple, pure fandom is what brought most of us to the table.  I remember being a 11 year old kid, making a sign to put in the front yard to support the Hogs, then crying (when I was sure no one was looking) when we lost to the hated 'Horns in '69.

Worthy goal Wilson, best of luck in your quest!

I'm the same age, my oldest brother was a freshman/sophomore, not sure as he had flunked out of what was Southwestern in Memphis, anyway it was the saddest day in my life for a long time.

Hugo Bezdek

Woo Pig!!

Well Said. Go Hogs!

hawganatic

My goals for the season is the same as every season for the last few years: 

1.  Drink some good beer
2.  Spend time with some good friends
3.  Cheer during the game when we are doing good
4.  Complain to no end DURING the game when its not going good.
5.  When game is over, win or lose, continue to drink good beer and spend time with good friends.

In other words, don't take it so seriously that you can't enjoy it.  Think too many people think that the Razorbacks somehow have a direct affect on the quality of their life. 

Hugo Bezdek

Even that's hard to do with the Little Rock newspaper's passive-agressive war on the UA. I don't take that paper because I don't want my son growing up reading Wally Hall.

ricepig

Quote from: hawganatic on July 28, 2017, 10:04:51 am
My goals for the season is the same as every season for the last few years: 

1.  Drink some good beer
2.  Spend time with some good friends
3.  Cheer during the game when we are doing good
4.  Complain to no end DURING the game when its not going good.
5.  When game is over, win or lose, continue to drink good beer and spend time with good friends.

In other words, don't take it so seriously that you can't enjoy it.  Think too many people think that the Razorbacks somehow have a direct affect on the quality of their life. 

Be careful, you'll be called Mr. Mediocrity with that attitude.

gchamblee

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 28, 2017, 10:00:43 am
I suspect you are exactly right. Far too much negativity on social media, and not just about the Razorbacks. I actually miss the days when my news about the Hogs came almost exclusively from Orville Henry, Jim Bailey, and Nate Allen.

In those days, all of the information out there went through a professional filter so that only the good information trickled down to the general public, and was delivered by a professional writer or radio/television personality. Today, all of the information is readily available to the general public for consumption without having bad info filtered out. The responsibility to find the truth has been passed down to the lazy people, us, the consumer. It is why I place such a high value on the opinions of those that were once the filter, like Mike Irwin. Having access to all information, good or bad, true or false, can affect ones attitude, especially when there are large volumes of it. The internet has given equal voice to everyone, from the intelligent to the moron, and although I do not wish to go back to being fed the filtered information I do have to constantly work on my self discipline and ability to temper the control information has on my outlook.

hawganatic

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2017, 10:07:23 am

As long as I have my beer they can call me what they want....

I learned a few years ago that regardless of how the Razorbacks do, my personal life isn't affected.  After I learned that I started enjoying football season a lot more.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on July 28, 2017, 11:11:21 am
Gee, I wonder why there was no cyncism, frustration, or skepticism about the 1977 season?

Why, yes, I became a big fan in the best season since 1964.  It was great.  Things were so simple.  All I have to do to regain that feeling is to simply change my attitude...lol

Win games.  Everyone is happy then.

Nah man.  Just enjoy being alive.  Football doesn't matter.  Winning doesn't matter. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawganatic

Quote from: Wildhog on July 28, 2017, 11:16:25 am
Nah man.  Just enjoy being alive.  Football doesn't matter.  Winning doesn't matter.

Can't say it doesn't matter, but if that is all you focus on then you lose out on everything else football has to offer.

We basically wait 9 months out of the year for 12 Saturdays.  If the season starts going south, I'm not going to get ticked to the point that I get absolutely nothing out of the remainder of the season.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawganatic on July 28, 2017, 11:34:36 am
Can't say it doesn't matter, but if that is all you focus on then you lose out on everything else football has to offer.

We basically wait 9 months out of the year for 12 Saturdays.  If the season starts going south, I'm not going to get ticked to the point that I get absolutely nothing out of the remainder of the season.

Neither will I.  I enjoy every game.  I just want to win more.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Same thought here. The physical paper isn't an option for many of us, but Whole Hog Sports is great.  I've been reading it daily lately.  For some reason I keep coming back here, where even the most positive OPs seem to turn ugly before the end of the first page.  Maybe I cling to the misguided notion that what I say here might make a difference to someone.  Basically, I just enjoy talking about the Razorbacks. 

Great post, Wilson. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hawgon on July 28, 2017, 11:11:21 am
Gee, I wonder why there was no cyncism, frustration, or skepticism about the 1977 season?

Why, yes, I became a big fan in the best season since 1964.  It was great.  Things were so simple.  All I have to do to regain that feeling is to simply change my attitude...lol

Win games.  Everyone is happy then.

Swing and miss. Winning in 1977 had zip to do with it.

What did have something to do with it was me coming from a socioeconomic background where listening to a game on the radio or watching it on TV was the best I could hope for, to one where I actually had a ticket to the game and the good fortune to enjoy a great cut of prime rib before heading back to northeast Arkansas.

It was the difference between regarding Razorback football and the experiences that went with it as something to be thankful for, as opposed to some kind of a burden to endure.

It was the way I saw the world, unencumbered by the viewpoints of miserable, cynical bastards who populate the adult world.

phadedhawg

Woo Pig!!

Great post!  This is what I try to focus on lately.  I'm a bit younger.  The first year I remember is 1987.  I remember, no matter the score, Quinn Grovey (my hero) would find a way to bring us back.  I had absolute faith in him and James Rouse. 

Vantage 8 dude

My goal for this season and beyond is to cheer harder for my alma mater, to appreciate life every day even more than before, and to thank God for all my many blessings. Doing that should help offset the natural load of crap that life throws our way.

Hoggish1

Woo Pig!!

Amen!

RWQ

I am the same age as Wilsonhog and went to the U of A for the same reason.  I don't have the same enjoyment of the Hogs that I used to, and I can trace it to the recruitment of Mitch Mustain.  That is when I started following recruiting, and I worry more about who we don't get than being thankful for the young men who choose to represent our school.  I obsess too much over every loss without enjoying any of the successes.  I definitely had more fun when I knew less than I think I know now.  I need to get back to that-life is too short and sports are supposed to be fun.
U of A Grad December 1989

gchamblee

Quote from: RWQ on July 28, 2017, 12:54:24 pm
I am the same age as Wilsonhog and went to the U of A for the same reason.  I don't have the same enjoyment of the Hogs that I used to, and I can trace it to the recruitment of Mitch Mustain.  That is when I started following recruiting, and I worry more about who we don't get than being thankful for the young men who choose to represent our school.  I obsess too much over every loss without enjoying any of the successes.  I definitely had more fun when I knew less than I think I know now.  I need to get back to that-life is too short and sports are supposed to be fun.

Some people only enjoy winning. Me personally, I enjoy the game. I get more enjoyment from football season than those that only enjoy winning. I am thankful for that.

jimmiewkersh

Wilson, the innocence of growing up in the late 60's and early 70's here in Arkansas is not lost on me either.  All of those years of listening on the radio and then the rare occasion of the Hogs on TV brought our family together every Saturday of the Fall.  I too long for the days when I can gather together with my family on Saturdays in the Fall and hang on every play by play call praying the Hogs pull out the win as the clock runs out of time.  Wilson, thank you for reminding me I was truly blessed to grow up when I did.  WPS!

sickboy

Well put! Think everyone could do with this approach to fandom!

HF#1

My goal for this season is to enjoy it with my daughter if she lets me.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hoginsavga

Wow, after reading these posts and posters' name associations I suddenly am feeling quite old. My days of truly becoming a Razorback fan began with the Bowen Wyatt years and the single wing offense. My enthusiasm fell off somewhat with Coach Jack Mitchell and his pigeon toed tee formation but was quickly regained under Coach Broyles.

In my history of Hog football I think the Sixties was the best decade to be a Razorback fan. Having said that, I would give those experiences up to be about ten years younger but I can't find anyone younger willing to make that trade.

Oftentimes when reading comments by other posters and making my replies I forget that many fans on Hogville are much younger and have a different perspective. They did not experience the growth in Razorback football brought on by Broyles and Holtz. There was a time when on Saturday afternoons you could spin the dial on the radio and Razorback football was on every station. Also you could be 500 miles or so out of state and listen to Razorback football on KARK an night.

Yes, unfortunately it is easier to get over a loss today than it was during those years. I suppose to some extent we become desensitized with the middle of road records. Oh well.

phadedhawg

It's lovely having every game on TV.  I'm not complaining but I miss listening to them on the radio.  Nothing was more exciting than hearing Paul Eells say "Touchdown Arkansas...OH MY!". 

When I was young and we were playing a late game, my mother would send me to bed at my bedtime.  My father would be in to wish me goodnight, and he'd give me a small FM radio and smile.  Mom pretended like she didn't know even if she heard a "Woo Pig Sooie" after a touchdown coming from my bedroom.  It was all in good fun. 

jimmiewkersh

One late Saturday night in the early 1974 season we were playing USC.  The score was updated on the television every 10 or 15 minutes on one of the Fort Smith stations.  I will never forget waking up my mom and dad screaming and yelling and calling the hogs when the final score came up and we won. 
WPS!

Oklahawg

Spent the day on-campus as my daughter did an orientation session should she choose UA next year (2018 HS grad). We walked through Old Main and I thought I might tear up. I found my name on senior walk again (twice) and that of a couple of dear relatives. I saw other parents, alums also, give a snide look to the high schooler near us from TX who snickered when the group did a hog call.

It has been a long, long time since I walked the UA campus. Breathed the air in the library. Found the office window in Kimpel Hall associated with the room used as a GA years ago. Walked through dorm lobbies and stood in well-positioned locations and had a guide point out what I already knew - the view from those vantage points were learned decades ago.

It was a whirlwind of great feelings and I suspect my daughter hits the Hill in a year.

Some things are bigger than internet tough-guy arguments about things too few people understand, and even fewer people can affect.

Root like hell for the Hogs. Savor my time in God's Country. Sing the alma mater with dignity and sincerity - it is sacred in my life.

Thanks Wilson.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

k.c.hawg

July 29, 2017, 04:56:47 am #33 Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:01:45 am by k.c.hawg
I'm 58 and go back to the mid 60's with football and very early 70's with basketball. I moved in 93. I'm not much further away but I added NFL season tickets, go to a lot of baseball games and started attending a few less Hog games. Still never miss a Hog football or basketball game, if it can't be seen I will have the audio. I still follow recruiting and love signing day and big commitments. There is just too much going on for me to use my time creating or embracing negativity about Hog sports. Extremely appreciative that I can love it with out having to hate on  it. Go Hogs!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hawgboy64

Quote from: gchamblee on July 28, 2017, 10:14:16 am
In those days, all of the information out there went through a professional filter so that only the good information trickled down to the general public, and was delivered by a professional writer or radio/television personality. Today, all of the information is readily available to the general public for consumption without having bad info filtered out. The responsibility to find the truth has been passed down to the lazy people, us, the consumer. It is why I place such a high value on the opinions of those that were once the filter, like Mike Irwin. Having access to all information, good or bad, true or false, can affect ones attitude, especially when there are large volumes of it. The internet has given equal voice to everyone, from the intelligent to the moron, and although I do not wish to go back to being fed the filtered information I do have to constantly work on my self discipline and ability to temper the control information has on my outlook.
Mike is truly the last of a dying breed.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

The Kig

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2017, 10:07:23 am

Nah... It's OK to prioritize.   He even said he would complain when we lose...but then reprioritize back to beer.  For me, I watch every second I can of a good game where we are in it.  A few years back my wife and daughter said something to the effect that they would leave me alone after a loss because I spent too much time in a bad mood after a loss.  At that point I decided that I wouldn't let it ruin a weekend and I let it go after a loss.  Doesn't mean I am ok with losing, just that I prioritize other things like beer (bourbon for me and family higher than dwelling on the past.
Poker Porker

jkstock04

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2017, 11:42:36 am
Same thought here. The physical paper isn't an option for many of us, but Whole Hog Sports is great.  I've been reading it daily lately.  For some reason I keep coming back here, where even the most positive OPs seem to turn ugly before the end of the first page.  Maybe I cling to the misguided notion that what I say here might make a difference to someone.  Basically, I just enjoy talking about the Razorbacks. 

Great post, Wilson. 
The bottom line is when you have a previous 5 years like we have had, there are going to be at least some people who aren't happy with it. Take the blinders off and look at our record the last 5 years and it's obvious...that isn't the fans fault.

I don't care if it was 1950 or 1960...people wouldn't have been happy with it. Yes, without the internet and social media it wouldn't have been near as loud...but all these "fond" memories of yesteryear still always have one thing in common, winning teams and championship quality teams coinciding throughout those the years. Interesting how that works.

I could be way off, but seems to me some of you old timers have all these wonderful memories of what it was like to root for a team seriously vying for a championship...so since you have those experiences ingrained that's good enough for a lifetime of living off those memories regardless of what happens in the future.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

nwahogfan1

My goals every year is to win 8 or more games and to show improvement each game.  The Mo and VT games really left a bad taste.  I know it did to CBB also.   

To reach 8+ we need our talented Young WRs to play well and for our defense to play much better.  We are more talented all over but some positions are young.    LB depth is thin  but more talented I think.  DBs are a year older and 1 more off season under a very good Coach so we have to think they will play better or we will see freshmen play.

I am optimistic we will reach 8 wins but not confident enough to bet my money.  LOL

The NewEra

Woo Pig!!

My bet is on you achieving this goal.

#WPS

Potosihog

I am 51 and can't remember a time in life when I wasn't pulling for the Hogs.  My dad was a typical hog fan in Arkansas.  We listened on the radio, watched replays late night and yelled and screamed like we were at the game.

I have lived out of state for 18 of the last 25 years.  I am still just as much of a hog fan as I was when I was a little boy.

Every year I am more hopeful than reality should allow.  But the ups and downs of following my favorite team is exhilarating.  I still remember the miracle on Markham, the marathon of a game against Ole Miss.  It seems like yesterday that our family went absolutely bannanas when we won the 94 BB championship and when US Reed hit that half court shot. 

My goal for this year is to enjoy a good season of improved team play.  And PLEASE, PLEASE can we beat Missouri.  My phone is much quieter after the game when we win. 😁

LZH

pigture perfect

I hear ya, Wilson. When I was a kid, the players and coaches were my heroes. They could do no wrong. The older I become, I have become more cynical and such. I want to go back to those early days when the only thing that counted was what happened on the score board.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The OTR

Quote from: The NewEra on July 31, 2017, 09:11:29 am
My bet is on you achieving this goal.

#WPS

I'd say it's 50/50.  If A&M beats us by 21 I'd say those odds go down. 

But what do I know?

Pigsknuckles

That game had an effect on me too.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

EastexHawg

My first full season of following the Hogs and being old enough to know all about it was 1968.  We beat an undefeated SEC champion Georgia team to win the Sugar Bowl.

The next year we were riding a 15 game winning streak and ranked #2 when we played for the national championship in a game ABC moved to December so the whole nation could watch the two best teams in the country.  We lost by one point but played in our fourth Sugar Bowl in eight years...to go along with a couple of Cotton Bowl, both of those to decide the national championship.

The next year, 1970, we lost something like 34-28 to Rose Bowl champ Stanford before reeling off 9 straight and climbing back into the top five, where we had been a frequent occupant for the previous decade.

You get the idea.

We had relatively down years in 72-74, and no one was happy.  Then Broyles closed out the 1975 season with devastating wins over #2 A&M and Georgia (Cotton Bowl) to finish #6.  Two years later he turned over the reins to Holtz and that gets us to Wilson's first year, capped by a whipping of #2 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

I'll make no apologies.  I've seen the program in all stages and nothing is close to being as enjoyable as ranking among the best in the nation.  To not being able to wait for the polls to come out to see just how high within the top ten we were. 

What would have happened if we had losing to barely winning records when I first started watching?  I don't know, but I probably wouldn't have become so hooked on Razorback football.  Winning was fun.  Not winning?  Not so much.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 28, 2017, 10:00:43 am

You still got Nate.  Just need to read slowly sometimes.

I've never lost my night-before-Christmas sense of enthusiasm for the Hogs.  I can separate the team from the few jackwagons who post here just trying to ruin it for the rest of us.

But I do miss Orville Henry.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: phadedhawg on July 28, 2017, 04:52:41 pm
It's lovely having every game on TV.  I'm not complaining but I miss listening to them on the radio.  Nothing was more exciting than hearing Paul Eells say "Touchdown Arkansas...OH MY!". 

I disagree. Nothing was more exciting than hearing Bud Campbell announce a Razorback touchdown.

DeltaBoy

Woo Pig!!

Great Goal and I was the same way growing up , Running out to grab the paper to read Orville Henry. And I set church quiet when Bud Campbell did the Sports on Channel 7,  Also I always had my cope of Dave Campbells Arkansas Football.
Life as a fan was way simpler back then.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

VBCHog

I started being a serious hog fan when Matt Jones was our QB and I went to my first game in LR in 04 and we got smoked by a good Nick Saban coached LSWho team. I remember going to the fan day and wanting Matt's autograph but the line was all the way back behind the poultry science building. Those are good memories and if I have that same attitude and enthusiasm I will be a better fan than I have been lately. I need to have a more positive outlook on the Hogs!

orvillesghost

Super post.

I started following Arkansas in 1968 and I guess growing up in the *glory years* may make some difference.

I used to be devastated when we would lose, be in a bad mood for days on end and do nothing but make myself and family and friends miserable..

Finally around 2010, I just decided I was going to enjoy the season regardless, hoping for wins but if we lost, well there was always next week.

Its actually made following the Razorbacks more enjoyable which surprised me. If UA ever can win the SEC in football, ill be one of the happiest guys alive but I just enjoy the games these days. It's my school, my tradition, a large part of my life, hope there are many more years of it to come.