Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Returning production on O

Started by Bacon_Bitz, June 11, 2017, 08:28:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

When was the last time we had this little returning production with our offensive skill players? 2014 I remember having no receivers coming back really and then in 2015 we lost JWill and then Hatcher early on but I still think with RWIII's retirement this year is the worst

VirginiaHog

Put o will be stout.  I have no worries there

go hogues

The general sentiment around here is that it will be good enough to win us 8+.

National pundits and realistic Hog fans probably put it closer to 6 or 7 max.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

daBoar

They are abysmal numbers; of course those also ignore a very good starting QB and most of the OLine.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: daBoar on June 12, 2017, 06:41:55 am
They are abysmal numbers; of course those also ignore a very good starting QB and most of the OLine.

Looking back I think 2013 was an event worse year for returning yardage. But hopefully returning a more than capable QB and almost all of the O Line will mitigate some of the lack of experience with receivers. I think Whaley will be great and Maleek Williams will be a good second option. Cornelius gives us one option. Surely we can find one more TE to catch a few passes besides Cantrell. Bringing in the #1 JUCO TE and WR is better than counting on freshmen. So there's possibility there but it could be bad too if nobody can catch passes. Morgan and Hatchet were both incredible gamers who made tough catches.

Razorbackers

I would say last year we had less returning production on offense, since we had brand a brand new qb, a fresh-off-injury rb, and a true freshman rb.

Al Boarland

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 12, 2017, 09:00:33 am
Between the O-Line, a good QB, a RB that's already proven he can play at a high level in the SEC, I'm not worried at all about the O. Also, this group of WRs are more talented than the group we lost.  They have more speed, are bigger, and that will pay dividends.

Do you think the o-line was good last season?  I know many expect a big jump, but it's possible they still struggle.  Many times JUCO's come in and it takes time for them to contribute at a high level.  We might want to temper expectations on the new pieces a little bit.

rhames

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 12, 2017, 09:00:33 am
Between the O-Line, a good QB, a RB that's already proven he can play at a high level in the SEC, I'm not worried at all about the O. Also, this group of WRs are more talented than the group we lost.  They have more speed, are bigger, and that will pay dividends.

Uhhh the WRs may end up being better but outside of #1 they are a mystery and cause to be conservative on that to expect from the offense.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

redleg

A solid offensive line can make up for losses at skill positions, especially when a proven starting QB is taking the snaps. Ragnow, Wallace, Froholdt, Gibson, and Jackson will give AAllen time to distribute the ball to emerging playmakers, as well as open holes for Arkansas' running backs, who are unproven but very talented. I can see the 2017 offense being top 5 in the SEC in passing yards per game, rushing yards per game, total yards per game, and scoring per game, thanks in large part to that O-Line and a proven redshirt senior QB.

My actual concern is the defense. The secondary improved in 2016 over 2015, credit to Coach Rhoads. But will the hire of Rhoads as the defensive coordinator, and a change to the 3-4 D promote vastly improved play in the front seven, which would also positively affect the secondary? We should see an aggressive defense in Game 1 vs Florida A&M, but we will find out whether or not they will be better by Game 2 vs TCU. If they can't stop the Horned Frogs offense, and can't hold them to under their 2016 game totals, they'll be lucky to win 6 games. Arkansas has the overall talent to be very good on defense, but do they have the right coach and the right system? Only time will tell.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Al Boarland

Quote from: redleg on June 12, 2017, 01:22:06 pm
A solid offensive line can make up for losses at skill positions, especially when a proven starting QB is taking the snaps. Ragnow, Wallace, Froholdt, Gibson, and Jackson will give AAllen time to distribute the ball to emerging playmakers, as well as open holes for Arkansas' running backs, who are unproven but very talented. I can see the 2017 offense being top 5 in the SEC in passing yards per game, rushing yards per game, total yards per game, and scoring per game, thanks in large part to that O-Line and a proven redshirt senior QB.

My actual concern is the defense. The secondary improved in 2016 over 2015, credit to Coach Rhoads. But will the hire of Rhoads as the defensive coordinator, and a change to the 3-4 D promote vastly improved play in the front seven, which would also positively affect the secondary? We should see an aggressive defense in Game 1 vs Florida A&M, but we will find out whether or not they will be better by Game 2 vs TCU. If they can't stop the Horned Frogs offense, and can't hold them to under their 2016 game totals, they'll be lucky to win 6 games. Arkansas has the overall talent to be very good on defense, but do they have the right coach and the right system? Only time will tell.

That's the thing.  The o-line is a question mark.  We don't know if they will be solid or not.

redleg

If they aren't you can hang it up!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Al Boarland

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 13, 2017, 10:32:25 am
I think the O-Line will be much improved due to continuity and having the best center in the country.  I expect great things from the WRs because they have a pretty good veteran QB throwing to them.
Sounds good. May not happen, but you never know.