Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas is 1-13 in SEC Championship games

Started by HognotinMemphis, May 29, 2017, 11:22:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

in football, baseball and men's basketball. Football is 0-3, basketball is 1-6 and baseball is 0-4.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Porked Tongue

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 29, 2017, 11:39:19 am
Thanks for reading the paper to us.
My pleasure. 

For the out of staters and others who do not subscribe to the Demozette, they need it read to them. Especially interesting tidbits of fact such as this.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HUNGLOWHOG

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Stephen Greene

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 29, 2017, 11:39:19 am
Thanks for reading the paper to us.
I live in Maumelle and don't get the paper, so I find this info very interesting. I was thinking just yesterday how it seems we can never win a championship in anything. Not just that though, whenever we have an opportunity to make a statement against a big time opponent we fail, usually badly. Its almost as if Arkansas WANTS to be irrelevant
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DLUXHOG

but..... our championships (both of them), since they are far and few between mean so much more to us than the myriads that someone like, say Alabama has... (but then, we are overlooking the bazillion we have in track and field aren't we, which puts the HOGS as NUMBER 1 in total championships in the SEC and 7th in all of college sports among all colleges https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_schools_with_the_most_NCAA_Division_I_championships, and that would be 5th in the nation if you only count men's sports...)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

oldhawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 29, 2017, 11:22:58 am
in football, baseball and men's basketball. Football is 0-3, basketball is 1-6 and baseball is 0-4.

I am a running enthusiast.  Out of curiosity, did the article mention how many SEC title meets Arkansas has won in cross-country, indoor T&F, and outdoor T&F?

Also, how many titles have been won in female sports?

Maybe there is a site where I can find this information consolidated?  Have searched around some, but have found only bits and pieces of information.

Vantage 8 dude

May 29, 2017, 03:08:08 pm #9 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:30:32 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 29, 2017, 12:16:05 pm
I live in Maumelle and don't get the paper, so I find this info very interesting. I was thinking just yesterday how it seems we can never win a championship in anything. Not just that though, whenever we have an opportunity to make a statement against a big time opponent we fail, usually badly. Its almost as if Arkansas WANTS to be irrelevant
So getting to various championship games but not winning makes us irrelevant? While I totally agree/goes without saying that actually WINNING more of these games would make a HUGE difference, remember that a team has to at least qualify as one of the best two SEC teams in whatever sport in order to play for the championship. And keep in mind that means you're one of the two best out of FOURTEEN league teams.

What we obviously need to be doing a better job is "closing the deal'. Finally getting over the hump and getting the win for the whole deal-has totally nothing to do with being irrelevant. Being irrelevant in whatever sport(s) would be never qualifying to begin with.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: oldhawg on May 29, 2017, 12:56:00 pm
I am a running enthusiast.  Out of curiosity, did the article mention how many SEC title meets Arkansas has won in cross-country, indoor T&F, and outdoor T&F?

Maybe there is a site where I can find this information consolidated?  Have searched around some, but have found only bits and pieces of information.
Exactly. While the article obviously mentioned the "major" sports, they said totally zero, zip, nada, nothing about track and field either on an SEC or national level. Under the circumstances I would say that's most disingenuous.

MuskogeeHogFan

Ah yes, an HiM post designed to bring a smile to the face of Hog fans everywhere on a national holiday.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 29, 2017, 03:15:58 pm
Ah yes, an HiM post designed to bring a smile to the face of Hog fans everywhere on a national holiday.
Oh yeah, you mean "Mr. Positive" ??? ??? Don't you know it.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 29, 2017, 11:42:59 am
My pleasure. 

For the out of staters and others who do not subscribe to the Demozette, they need it read to them. Especially interesting tidbits of fact such as this.

Exactly

HiggiePiggy

And your point?  What about the other sports in the sec? How does Arkansas do there? 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 29, 2017, 05:36:16 pm
Regardless of the SEC Championship results, I'll take our baseball program and put it in the same discussion as anyone in the country today. 

Unlike our football program, the baseball program has a leader who's doing what it takes to put a winning program on the field not because he's paid to do it, but because it's in line with DVH's competitive nature. 
did you basically just say that CBB doesn't have a competitive nature and that he doesn't care about putting a winning program on the field?

you realize that van horn has been the coach for 14 years and hasn't won an SEC championship.  are you willing to give CBB 14 years to win a championship?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DLUXHOG

The link I provided in my post answers your question....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bphi11ips

Posts from old friends always make me smile
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 29, 2017, 05:51:45 pm
So yes... that's what I said.  I don't think Bielema has half the competitive drive DVH has, and I don't think he puts forth half the effort to justify his ridiculous contract. 
And I don't think you have any basis for making that judgement other than he hasn't yet played in a championship game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

oldbooniehog

And some Hog fans whine and moan that Arkansas doesn't get any respect in the national media.

This type of performance in SEC title games across the three big men's sports is why.

It also points to another thing I just cannot wrap my head around.

There are a number of Hog fans who yell "Fire Tha Coach!" when the coach can't win the big game.

With results like these, what coach could in what sport?

I think Nolan Richardson was the only one to win an SEC title game. And that was what, 17 years ago?

Arkansas isn't snakebit.

Arkansas isn't cursed.

Arkansas is simply a second-rate program, across the board. Pretty much has been for about 25 years now.

Dominicanhog

sad but true,, but what are you gonna do?  I would rather have been there and failed, than never having been there.

ricepig

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 29, 2017, 07:11:38 pm
sad but true,, but what are you gonna do?  I would rather have been there and failed, than never having been there.

Alfred, is that you?

Dominicanhog

oldbooniehog

Arkansas was in the old SWC for about 75 years.

Baseball was pretty bad (only 2 regular season titles, and 1 tournament title)

Football was so-so. Third in SWC in titles, with most of them 1965 or earlier.

But Arkansas did rule the roost in basketball titles.

Here's a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southwest_Conference_champions#Baseball

Torqued pork

Who has the best cheese dip in Fayetteville matters to more people these days.

HOGINTENNESSEE

We have been to a lot of championship games

upperdeck_hawg

The most painful one I can remember is the 2006 SEC Championship game vs Florida. Up 4 late in the 3rd, Florida punting from inside their 10 yard line. Surely, we'll get good field position and get at least 3 out of it. Urban Meyer fakes the punt and gets the first down. No worries, our defense gives up a couple of first downs and they have to punt again from around midfield. And everyone remembers what happened with that punt.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 29, 2017, 05:40:56 pm
did you basically just say that CBB doesn't have a competitive nature and that he doesn't care about putting a winning program on the field?

you realize that van horn has been the coach for 14 years and hasn't won an SEC championship.  are you willing to give CBB 14 years to win a championship?

Difference in baseball and football is in baseball you don't have to win the sec championship game in order to get to the playoff. How many times have the baseball team played in Omaha since DVH has been the head coach? In basketball and baseball it's about how deep we go in the tournament. Football only way to get to the tournament unless you are Ohio State is win the conference.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 29, 2017, 05:51:30 pm
Posts from old friends always make me smile

No one needs a friend like HiM...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Lanny

1-13 is one thing but not even being competitive in the majority of the losses is another
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

RazorWest

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 29, 2017, 05:40:56 pm

Honestly, no one seems to care about SEC tournaments in Basketball or Baseball.  Van Horn will often rest starters to prepare for the regional.  I'm not suggesting he loses on purposes, but he certainly doesn't go all out to win games there.  The SEC tournament in baseball means nothing and the teams play like it.  If they could choose not to go they probably would. 

mizzouman

Hawgar The Horrible

Name the school that won the 2016 NCAA Baseball Championship and ask yourself if they're now relevant...without using Google.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

EastexHawg

Dave Van Horn has taken four Razorback teams to the College World Series.  That's the equivalent of four BCS bowl games as head Hog for Bret Bielema and four Elite Eights at Arkansas for Mike Anderson.

There are differing degrees of "hasn't won a championship".

oldhawg

Iwastherein1969

the track team has more than covered that pitiful stat
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

GuvHog

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 29, 2017, 11:31:13 pm
Anyone who knows anything about college baseball will laugh in your face if you try to convince them Arkansas is a second-rate program.

When it comes to football the bottom line is we did it to ourselves... same with basketball. 
Even if I don't think CMA is necessarily a top-notch coach, I'll give him props for trying to recruit his way out of the mess we're in.
As for Bielema, I'll give him props for finding a situation where he can make a lot of money with nothing more to show than witty interviews and his wife's twitter feed. 

That "mess we're in" mantra won't fly any more. This will be Mike Anderson's 7th year as Hog basketball head coach so all of the players that he inherited from the previous head coach are LONG gone. When things are going well as they are now, he'll get the credit for it but when things aren't going well, the responsibility will be on his shoulders. Make no mistake, this is Mike Anderson's basketball program now and I wish him continued success with it.

Bielema hasn't gotten it done on the field thus far. Here's hoping that starts to change this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

AirWarren

HognotinMemphis

The brief blip gave only the info I posted. Of course, T&F is not a revenue sport like the 3 main sports are.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 29, 2017, 03:08:08 pm
So getting to various championship games but not winning makes us irrelevant? While I totally agree/goes without saying that actually WINNING more of these games would make a HUGE difference, remember that a team has to at least qualify as one of the best two SEC teams in whatever sport in order to play for the championship. And keep in mind that means you're one of the two best out of FOURTEEN league teams.

What we obviously need to be doing a better job is "closing the deal'. Finally getting over the hump and getting the win for the whole deal-has totally nothing to do with being irrelevant. Being irrelevant in whatever sport(s) would be never qualifying to begin with.
Unfortunately, in football, the Hogs have gotten their asses whipped in the 3 SECCG's they have participated in. So while 2nd best, it was a distant second those 3 times. So as Lanny referenced above, it is one thing to be successful only 1 out of 13 chances but it is another thing to not be competitive in most of the 13 chances once you get to the championship game. Certainly that has been the case in the 3 SECCG's in football.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 30, 2017, 10:14:20 am
Unfortunately, in football, the Hogs have gotten their asses whipped in the 3 SECCG's they have participated in. So while 2nd best, it was a distant second those 3 times. So as Lanny referenced above, it is one thing to be successful only 1 out of 13 chances but it is another thing to not be competitive in most of the 13 chances once you get to the championship game. Certainly that has been the case in the 3 SECCG's in football.

Florida won the SEC Championship game in 2006 but they didn't dominate the Hogs in that game, they escaped with a win.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pig in the Pokey

I remember them all and every time I said, 'THIS is the day" (well, I knew that uga sec title game was over before kickoff) and it is like a freaking curse. Honestly, the MOST surprising part is that we actually cashed in with a team that wouldnt even have made the NIT that year.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 30, 2017, 10:56:47 am
I remember them all and every time I said, 'THIS is the day" (well, I knew that uga sec title game was over before kickoff) and it is like a freaking curse. Honestly, the MOST surprising part is that we actually cashed in vs Duke.

We had a team full of players, guys...especially Corliss...with real basketball skills, not just athleticism.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 30, 2017, 10:56:47 am
I remember them all and every time I said, 'THIS is the day" (well, I knew that uga sec title game was over before kickoff) and it is like a freaking curse. Honestly, the MOST surprising part is that we actually cashed in with a team that wouldnt even have made the NIT that year.
I see you modified it when you realized this is about SEC championships. The 1 SEC championship the Hogs have ever won was in '99 or '00 in basketball. Hogs were about .500 that year and somehow blew through everyone to win the SECT. Brandon Dean and co.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Torqued pork on May 29, 2017, 07:54:24 pm
Who has the best cheese dip in Fayetteville matters to more people these days.
marlo's taco shack still the cheesecrack
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Torqued pork

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 30, 2017, 11:04:40 am
I see you modified it when you realized this is about SEC championships. The 1 SEC championship the Hogs have ever won was in '99 or '00 in basketball. Hogs were about .500 that year and somehow blew through everyone to win the SECT. Brandon Dean and co.
well, if you throw the national title games into the discussion, too, it's another 1-1. I AM shocked we cashed in vs Duke, but the Brandon Dean MVP team was a strange one to be the "1" sec title. Hell, they went all 4 rounds. I did love that squad, though. they had a lot of talent with Joe-Joe , Chris Walker, and Dean. Just no bigman besides an enforcer and a goon.

Every time I saw Brandon after that (several times) I just called him "MVP"..]

Pig in the Pokey

Polecat

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 29, 2017, 11:31:13 pm
Anyone who knows anything about college baseball will laugh in your face if you try to convince them Arkansas is a second-rate program.

When it comes to football the bottom line is we did it to ourselves... same with basketball. 
Even if I don't think CMA is necessarily a top-notch coach, I'll give him props for trying to recruit his way out of the mess we're in.
As for Bielema, I'll give him props for finding a situation where he can make a lot of money with nothing more to show than witty interviews and his wife's twitter feed. 

I don't find his interviews all that witty
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum