Redbird Rundown X

Started by McKdaddy, February 19, 2016, 11:21:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jrulz83

Looking forward to an interesting season.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

jbell96

As an STL area resident, I am more than ready for afternoons & evenings at Busch this year!

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

Quote from: jbell96 on February 26, 2016, 08:33:02 am
As an STL area resident, I am more than ready for afternoons & evenings at Busch this year!

#jealous

clutch

Quote from: jbell96 on February 26, 2016, 08:33:02 am

Living in STL in the summer would be nice

pigture perfect

Looks like I'm being transferred to Springfield maybe as early as the fall. That should get me to a few more games, and a lot more minor league Cards.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 28, 2016, 09:33:56 am
http://m.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/peralta-returns-stronger-lighter-and-ready-to-work/article_b78cdd0c-ce2b-59b2-b8ed-0ea8b5f4b070.html?mobile_touch=true

Hopefully Peralta being in good shape, Matheny using the roster more intelligently, and better overall team health will allow Peralta to avoid the second half crater he suffered last season.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on February 28, 2016, 07:01:25 pm
Hopefully Peralta being in good shape, Matheny using the roster more intelligently, and better overall team health will allow Peralta to avoid the second half crater he suffered last season.

Having a serviceable backup will go a long way in keeping him & Wong fresh in the 2nd half of the season.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on February 29, 2016, 08:56:59 am
Having a serviceable backup will go a long way in keeping him & Wong fresh in the 2nd half of the season.

Definitely, it will be interesting to see if Matheny uses Gyorko as much as he should. I think that a big part of the reason Peralta had to play so much last season was because they absolutely had to have his bat in there due to the injuries to Holliday and Adams. Let's face it, Peralta isn't a cleanup hitter but he was forced to hit there much of last season. There simply wasn't another bat to put there.

pigture perfect

I curious to see how this pitching staff turns out. We gain Waino and Leake after losing Lynn and Lackey. We just might be stifling again. I'm hoping Lackey returns to his form that he had the last 2 years of his Red Sox stint, and our bats be un expectantly potent.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 02, 2016, 10:07:20 am
I curious to see how this pitching staff turns out. We gain Waino and Leake after losing Lynn and Lackey. We just might be stifling again. I'm hoping Lackey returns to his form that he had the last 2 years of his Red Sox stint, and our bats be un expectantly potent.

Forgot about Lynn's TJS.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 02, 2016, 10:07:20 am

I'm a little concerned about depth in the rotation for the Cardinals. Wainwright should be good to go, I'm expecting a big season from him. Losing Lynn is a big blow. The guy pitched a great year with a blown out elbow, 3.03 era with 167 SO, pretty good season. Losing him is tough to bear. Garcia is always an injury concern for me. Theoretically Leake will be fine, but his innings count has been consistently high and while that's a good thing to have, what does his elbow and shoulder look like, are they good or is there a possible injury lurking with that high innings count? What about Martinez and his shoulder? Is he ready for the full grind of a season? If they falter it falls to Cooney, Lyons, and Gonzalez, they all have experience, but remain unproven.

Not really anything that is red flag, fallout shelter concerning, but some things to be cognizant of over the grind of the season.

pigture perfect

I'm thinking that a big mid-season trade or signing will happen and help out.

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 02, 2016, 08:55:34 pm

I won't hold my breath.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 02, 2016, 08:55:34 pm

Maybe Alex Reyes is the answer for help by then, but I doubt it, he needs time in the minors. I really do like the look of the bullpen though, I think it's going to take some pressure off the starters. You just can't ever have too much pitching. I say it every year, pitching is like firewood; look at your pile, imagine it three times bigger, and that might be enough to last until midnight. 

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

jbell96

Not sure if any of you have heard, but Peralta injured his thumb on Saturday. Mo said it is similar to what Yadi had last year, and is likely going to miss 10-12 weeks.

pigture perfect

Yeah, just saw the Peralta update. That sux. We need a solid bat in our lineup.

popcornhog

I a very much ready for baseball season to start.

I started a new job last September and I'm in St Louis 2-3 times per month for work now. So I should get to go to a ton of games this year.

Taking clients to the afternoon Cubs game on April 20th -- should be a regular occurrence!

Re: Jhonny -- hopefully the reduced mileage this season will be a good thing. That's how I'm choosing to spin the injury.
WPS

jrulz83

We all know that a trade is unlikely, I'm betting we'll find out what we got in Jedd Gyorko and probably Aledmys Diaz as well. Hopefully they can tread water with the rest of the NL Central and Peralta comes back gangbusters for the real push.

pigture perfect

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

McKdaddy

jrulz83

How much time will Holliday see at 1B this season?

I've long doubted his viability at the position, but it sure is sounding like they may be willing to give him some playing time there during the regular season. His Spring Training stats at the position look good, but we know how misleading 28 innings worth of stats can be. I haven't been able to catch any of the Spring Training games to see him play the position; has anybody seen him play there this spring?

pigture perfect

Looked pretty good against the Metropolitans today.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 26, 2016, 12:18:44 am
Looked pretty good against the Metropolitans today.

Good deal, I'm finally catching a ST game today. Looks like he's starting at 1B. Purely out of curiosity, I'll be watching closely. It's not like I can really judge what a viable MLB first baseman looks like from a tv or from anywhere else for that matter. I'm just looking to see if he looks like he's less than awkward there.

jrulz83

That was an ugly game today. I think Holliday was the only starting infielder without an error if that proves anything. Holliday looked comfortable at 1B, he had a nice looking stretch on a couple plays. Leake looked impressive at times, I think it will be fun to watch him and Molina keep hitters crossed up all season. The offense hit the ball hard, but right at people. I'm not crazy about Grichuk batting fourth, but I'm not really sure who else should bat cleanup.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 26, 2016, 03:09:52 pm
That was an ugly game today. I think Holliday was the only starting infielder without an error if that proves anything. Holliday looked comfortable at 1B, he had a nice looking stretch on a couple plays. Leake looked impressive at times, I think it will be fun to watch him and Molina keep hitters crossed up all season. The offense hit the ball hard, but right at people. I'm not crazy about Grichuk batting fourth, but I'm not really sure who else should bat cleanup.

Holliday at 1B has been surprisingly good this spring. A lot better than a lot of people figured he'd be I think. I'm pulling for him. I'd have no problem with him playing first over Adams. I'm about done with the Adams experiment. Play Holliday there for a couple years, replace his outfield spot with a good bat, and hope they can find a good power hitting first baseman in a couple years.

I don't have a problem with Grichuk at cleanup. I'm pretty high on Grichuk. I think he's got a lot of potential.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on March 27, 2016, 12:50:26 am
Holliday at 1B has been surprisingly good this spring. A lot better than a lot of people figured he'd be I think. I'm pulling for him. I'd have no problem with him playing first over Adams. I'm about done with the Adams experiment. Play Holliday there for a couple years, replace his outfield spot with a good bat, and hope they can find a good power hitting first baseman in a couple years.

I don't have a problem with Grichuk at cleanup. I'm pretty high on Grichuk. I think he's got a lot of potential.

Oh there's definite potential with Grichuk, I'm bullish on him. I hope to see a full (injury free) season of him. In a perfect world I'd like a bit more experience in that spot, but it's far from an end of the world scenario to see him hitting there.

As always, the offense appears to be the weakness on this team. Swapping Peralta's bat for Ruben Tejada's isn't likely to help either. Although, given the circumstances, I think that was a good pickup for this team. I guess his signing lets us know how the team views Greg Garcia.

Maybe Gyorko spelling Wong from time to time will provide some help for the offense. Hopefully Moss really has fully recovered from his hip surgery and that was his problem last year. If that's true he and Grichuk could be the power jolt that this team was sorely lacking. Piscotty is another question mark for me, did we see normal from him or was he playing out of his mind?

I too am pulling for Holliday at 1B to be a success. Hoping he proves me wrong, but if he doesn't have a big season I think Adams' time with the Cardinal is drawing to a close.

pigture perfect

I would rather keep Adams than Moss.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jrulz83

Walden still fighting shoulder discomfort; will not be on the 25 man roster come Sunday:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/renewed-discomfort-means-walden-won-t-make-cardinals-roster/article_f6813f8c-2c33-5bb0-94ae-e82775aee5a5.html

I caught the tail end of the game today and just happened to see him pitch. It's a shame he's not healthy because what I saw from him today was filthy, dang near untouchable. I guess the hop thing he does is just too stressful on his shoulder. 

pigture perfect

clutch

With opening day approaching, I was just curious. Do you think we will get those Cardinals updates on the JumboTron at Hogs games yet? I don't know what they are waiting on. I mean, we are Cardinals fans. We deserve this.   ;D

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on March 31, 2016, 08:44:46 am
With opening day approaching, I was just curious. Do you think we will get those Cardinals updates on the JumboTron at Hogs games yet? I don't know what they are waiting on. I mean, we are Cardinals fans. We deserve this.   ;D

They should show all Cardinals games in their entirety on the jumbotron. The Uof A owes it to us. There's nothing but Cardinals fans in the stands anyway.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 31, 2016, 09:17:46 am
They should show all Cardinals games in their entirety on the jumbotron. The Uof A owes it to us. There's nothing but Cardinals fans in the stands anyway.

That was what they put the jumbotron in the stadium for wasn't it? I just always assumed that's why it was there.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on March 31, 2016, 10:59:36 am
That was what they put the jumbotron in the stadium for wasn't it? I just always assumed that's why it was there.

Well yeah, nobody cares about football. Just show the Cards.

jrulz83

I'm hearing that Carlos Martinez is toying with a more upright delivery. He apparently used it in his last start with great success (6 IP one hit I think). I'll be interested in how it looks, and of course, if the success with it translates to the regular season.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 30, 2016, 04:13:51 pm
Walden still fighting shoulder discomfort; will not be on the 25 man roster come Sunday:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/renewed-discomfort-means-walden-won-t-make-cardinals-roster/article_f6813f8c-2c33-5bb0-94ae-e82775aee5a5.html

I caught the tail end of the game today and just happened to see him pitch. It's a shame he's not healthy because what I saw from him today was filthy, dang near untouchable. I guess the hop thing he does is just too stressful on his shoulder.

+1000

Horrible delivery

That trade looms bad.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 31, 2016, 11:31:38 am
I'm hearing that Carlos Martinez is toying with a more upright delivery. He apparently used it in his last start with great success (6 IP one hit I think). I'll be interested in how it looks, and of course, if the success with it translates to the regular season.

I'd like to see him finish more towards the plate. He falls away towards first base pretty bad on his follow through. I think if he can straighten that up a little he'd be even better.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on March 31, 2016, 12:25:38 pm
I'd like to see him finish more towards the plate. He falls away towards first base pretty bad on his follow through. I think if he can straighten that up a little he'd be even better.

I couldn't disagree. I think that's the impetus behind straightening him up. He has terrific stuff, if he can learn to better command it; watch out. I'm a believer, I'm picking him as my dark horse Cy Young candidate.

jrulz83

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 31, 2016, 03:34:50 pm
Ruben Tejada, the guy the Cardinals signed to cover for Peralta's absence, now has a quad strain; wonderful news. 

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/another-cardinals-shortstop-down-tejada-leaves-game-with-quad-strain/article_daab2cdd-468b-5be0-8bbd-c15db3318779.html

Just heard about this. I was told it was a groin. Not sure which is worse. I've done both. I think the quad actually took longer to heal. Groin hurt worse though.

I guess that means Gyorko is the opening day SS?