Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winston will be a bust for TB!!

Started by Rockpig5, April 30, 2015, 07:14:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: SemperHawg on May 01, 2015, 11:15:58 am
Rothlesburger has 2 rings and is considered one of the top ten franchise QBs in the NFL.

What was Rothl college baggage? I am unaware.

HogInFlorida

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 30, 2015, 07:57:20 pm
Academic smarts and "life" smarts, that decision making thing you referenced, are not the same thing. Heck even Gruden said he had too many INT's. Those two factors gives me pause to award him potential greatness in the NFL. A LOT of QB's over the years could make the throws, had the prototypical size, etc. and didn't pan out. I believe immature head cases have a long way to go to make it as a solid to great NFL QB.

Andrew Luck and Drew Brees throw way too many INTs too.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HogInFlorida on May 01, 2015, 11:40:25 am

As did John Elway and Dan Marino

SemperHawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 01, 2015, 11:36:05 am
What was Rothl college baggage? I am unaware.
No college baggage that is known, but since being in the league multiple rape allegations...injury due to riding motorcycle without a lid

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

presidenthog

Quote from: JayBell on May 01, 2015, 09:05:52 am
But yeah, Mallett's draft still trips me the hell out.  Those were guys who do professional football business for a living and they were drafting bums like Blaine Gabbert in the first round.  You just knew him and Ponder weren't going to have any kind of success.  Ponder is an outstanding guy, he's just never gotten it done on the field, and he was an effing first round pick.

I did get Locker and Dalton backwards.  I didn't expect much out of either, but I expected Dalton to bomb and Locker to have a modicum of success.  Then there's Kaepernick...

I've been saying for years, once Mallett actually gets his chance as a starting quarterback, he may have the best NFL career of any QB drafted that year.
I think looking back now and that some things were on reputation and I think some of the slander campaign had to do with sticking it to petrino

RazorChuck

When you draft a rapist, you get a rapist.

Swineasaur

Buccaneers encouraged Jameis Winston to remove the crab legs photo from his Instagram account. http://t.co/qJxKnmGoie

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 01, 2015, 07:17:12 am
Your post is a fail.....................see how easy that is.

There is no way to know for sure in advance who will or will not be a bust.
That is your opinion, mine is Winston as much as I don't like him or FSU, is a more NFL ready QB than Bridgewater was, and Bridgewater is pretty good. Mariota is inaccurate, and his arm strength is questionable. He is a system QB, and there is only one place running that system in the NFL. Most if not every check he ever made came from the sideline, he is not NFL ready, and I doubt very seriously he has the ability to become NFL ready.

seasonhog

Quote from: presidenthog on May 01, 2015, 12:24:55 pm
I think some of the slander campaign had to do with sticking it to petrino

BINGO!

Hogarusa

I like how this has somehow turned into a Mallett draft thread.  To be fair to Jameis, if I were to celebrate a huge life accomplishment, one of the top choices for 1st meal would be crab legs. They are delicious.

You just supposed to stop eating and taking pics of it because you were caught stealing some one day?  No sir
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Georgeofthejungle on May 01, 2015, 08:06:56 am
   While I don't completely disagree with you, it's not that uncommon for high draft choices organizations have a ton invested in. Dez Brant has had one for years and I believe this will his first season without one.

Way different to have security for security purposes or to have someone follow someone around just to report if they mess up.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TrueBlue

His decision making skills SUCK. Making fun of stealing crab legs just hours after being drafted.

Inhogswetrust

Then tell that to Gruden. He is the one that said it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ap89

Mr Winston.. you have to pay for your crablegs.and no means no!

gawntrail

I don't like the kid.  I think he's a head case and it will overshadow his above average abilities.  He will bust out.

That said.

According to Tiki Barber this morning, the Crab Legs photo origin is from a Mike Alstott Charity event earlier this Spring.  The dude from Deadliest Catch was at the auction/event and asked for the pose with crab legs.  Winston handled it well and did the photo for the charity thing.  The Deadliest Catch guy sent Winston 25 pounds of Crab Legs to celebrate his draft night.

Again, that's what I heard on the radio this morning.

I don't like the kid, and the photo seems like he was stoking a fire, but, according to Tiki Barber, it was more of a shout out to the Deadliest Catch guy for sending the chow.

Either way, the photo is nothing to crucify him over.  His poor character has already dug him a deep enough ditch.  The rape allegation and multiple issues in the past would have ruled him out in my mind.  But, the NFL is the NFL.....

His future is in his hands.  I hope he wakes the **** up and realizes what a golden opportunity he has.

Did I mention I don't like the kid?......

aar0n

Off field issues or not, I just don't see how he's "the most NFL ready QB to come out of the draft in years" and all the talk of his NFL ready skills.  I've watched several games of his, and while he's a good QB, he just didn't seem THAT outstanding. 

I believe a lot of the hype is from the fact that this is a QB-light draft, and what do a lot of people tune into the draft the most for?  To see if their struggling team will draft a new QB and have a new hope for the coming seasons.  I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy and certainly not suggesting this as such, just saying that over-hyping the first couple picks, especially QBs, is good for viewership. 

jjdlc

Bleach, well now my Titans wasted a pick on a receiver for Winston to throw to when they get to the penal league.

majp51

Really?

I count a total of 22 INT's in 3 Seasons of College Ball For Mr. Luck.
Drew Brees did through a fair amount of INT's but he was his teams entires offense and Significantly improved his second Season as a Starter.

Like it or Not Jameis Winston serious regressed this season, most of it appearing to be that his fairly bad footwork (mentioned by most scouts) and his poor Decision Making wasn't bailed out by 1 round talent at wide receiver which he had in his first season.

Now maybe you are right, maybe Winsont will be a star. But I can tell you the QB position this year was so weak, that Had Tim Twbow graduated this year, he would have been a first round pick, again, and no one would be criticizing the move.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: majp51 on May 01, 2015, 11:48:19 pm
Really?

I count a total of 22 INT's in 3 Seasons of College Ball For Mr. Luck.
Drew Brees did through a fair amount of INT's but he was his teams entires offense and Significantly improved his second Season as a Starter.

Like it or Not Jameis Winston serious regressed this season, most of it appearing to be that his fairly bad footwork (mentioned by most scouts) and his poor Decision Making wasn't bailed out by 1 round talent at wide receiver which he had in his first season.

Now maybe you are right, maybe Winsont will be a star. But I can tell you the QB position this year was so weak, that Had Tim Twbow graduated this year, he would have been a first round pick, again, and no one would be criticizing the move.

I once heard a well known good QB say "never underestimate the importance of proper footwork" or something to that effect.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 01, 2015, 07:17:12 am
Your post is a fail.....................see how easy that is.

There is no way to know for sure in advance who will or will not be a bust.
Saying a team will release the #1 overall pick less than half of the way through his initial contract is a fail. They just gave him a $16.7M signing bonus.

He threw so many picks because he was often trying to throw people open into tight windows. You know...making NFL throws.

Meanwhile Mariota was throwing to speedy receivers with no one within 15 yards of them.

lahawg1

JW a bust? I don't think he will be in Jamarcus Russel or Ryan Leaf category but I do think he will never live up to the hype. Maybe a 3-5 year player with a lot of that on the bench, think RG3

The NewEra

How do you change incredibly bad behavior, bad decisions and even criminal behavior?  You reward it with multi-million dollar contracts.  It works every single time.

(sarcasm on)

rljjr

I think there might be a radio show soon called Jameis and Johnny, featuring two out of work former NFL QBs who never really lived up to their hype. Special guest star on the first show: Kenny Hill.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: trashcan maN on May 02, 2015, 07:30:37 am
Saying a team will release the #1 overall pick less than half of the way through his initial contract is a fail. They just gave him a $16.7M signing bonus.

He threw so many picks because he was often trying to throw people open into tight windows. You know...making NFL throws.

Meanwhile Mariota was throwing to speedy receivers with no one within 15 yards of them.

I never said they would release him did I...............don't put words in my mouth.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Rockpig5 on April 30, 2015, 07:14:57 pm
One maybe Two very mediocre years, and TB releases him!! JMO
Nah, not as long as he has plenty of crab legs (and free drink refills) to keep his strength up.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 02, 2015, 12:12:16 pm
I never said they would release him did I……………don't put words in my mouth.
Was explaining why the OP was a fail. The OP clearly insinuated they would release him after a year or two..Settle down

Seebs

He will do fine in the NFL and will be a lightning rod and reviled personality.

I still despise Cam Newton but he is making his way in the NFL and making commercials - which means he has a positive influence on somebody - just not me.

I'm a hater and I'm gonna hate - but I won't let it bother my daily routine one way or another.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: trashcan maN on May 03, 2015, 12:20:39 pm
Was explaining why the OP was a fail. The OP clearly insinuated they would release him after a year or two..Settle down

Then next time quote the post you are referring to. You are now citing the OP so why did you quote my post in your post?

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Hog N Bama on April 30, 2015, 07:17:33 pm
Disgusting. He doesn't deserve anything but jail.

You are correct, but the same can be said for Dorial Green-Beckham. You drag a woman down a flight of stairs, you get drafted in the first round. Sad indeed where character does not count. You still laptops, win the Heisman and get millions in endorsement deals. Skill over substance. That is what sports are about. Sad ... Sad ... Sad.

TheRazorbackGuy

Jameis Winston will win rookie of the year throwing to Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. He has big WRs. I think Winston will be an NFL star and not an NFL bust but he needs to grow up.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Seebs on May 03, 2015, 12:26:00 pm
He will do fine in the NFL and will be a lightning rod and reviled personality.

I still despise Cam Newton but he is making his way in the NFL and making commercials - which means he has a positive influence on somebody - just not me.

I'm a hater and I'm gonna hate - but I won't let it bother my daily routine one way or another.

Good, honest post, and a perspective I tend to agree with.

But I'll say this regarding JW: he has a gift.  His arm, his head, his instincts, his guts in the face of pressure, all are very special, and I do watching guys that have special gifts play their chosen sport.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Cure

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 04, 2015, 09:41:21 am
Jameis Winston will win rookie of the year throwing to Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. He has big WRs. I think Winston will be an NFL star and not an NFL bust but he needs to grow up.
Bingo.

Kid won't be a bust.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cure on May 04, 2015, 12:33:55 pm
Bingo.

Kid won't be a bust.

Maybe, maybe not...................Real easy to prognosticate when there are no consequences to doing so. Also he's not a kid even though he acts like it sometimes.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 04, 2015, 12:26:32 pm
Good, honest post, and a perspective I tend to agree with.

But I'll say this regarding JW: he has a gift.  His arm, his head, his instincts, his guts in the face of pressure, all are very special, and I do watching guys that have special gifts play their chosen sport.

Based on his behavior I'm not going to call his head a gift.

soccerrunner

Check out "The Hunting Grounds", a movie about the epidemic of campus rape.  Winston's alleged victim and her parents appear in a segment and tell of the despicable manner in which FSU officials and Tallahassee police treated her and engaged in a significant cover up in order to preserve a run at the national championship.  Very damning.

Incidents elsewhere, including the golden domers, are included.  It's a well done and eye opening film.

Kevin

That is why I think he struggles. He has never had to face the consequences of his actions
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

gawntrail

How many NFL DBs are looking at TB knowing TB thinks Evans and Jackson are going to carry the load this coming season and are salivating at making that one game (or two for NFC South guys) their contract making performance(s).

JW is going to flame out in epic fashion.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 04, 2015, 12:43:54 pm
Based on his behavior I'm not going to call his head a gift.

Yeah, wasn't talked about his thinking/common sense head, but rather his ability to think fast on the field and make good decisions DURING THE GAME, especially with pressure on him.  He's way, way above the norm in that area.

IMO that's the most important quality a QB can have.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Wildhog

Honestly, no one knows how he will do.

I hope he fails, though.  Can't stand that POS.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 04, 2015, 03:31:38 pm
Yeah, wasn't talked about his thinking/common sense head, but rather his ability to think fast on the field and make good decisions DURING THE GAME, especially with pressure on him.  He's way, way above the norm in that area.

IMO that's the most important quality a QB can have.

Oregons' Defense says hello...........................

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 04, 2015, 05:15:17 pm
Oregons' Defense says hello...........................

So he's got to be perfect?

I remember Peyton and Tom Brady choking it up a time or two in big games.  Peyton multiple times, actually.

I think the FSU defense was what failed.  JW tried to do too much because they all knew they were going to have to score a ton to win.

I find this a little uncomfortable, defending Jameis Winston.  I don't care for the guy, and as has been pointed out there's a good chance he should be in jail today.

Still, I try to see things in truth as much as I can, and the truth is the guy is a special football player.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 05, 2015, 09:55:38 am
So he's got to be perfect?

I remember Peyton and Tom Brady choking it up a time or two in big games.  Peyton multiple times, actually.

I think the FSU defense was what failed.  JW tried to do too much because they all knew they were going to have to score a ton to win.

I find this a little uncomfortable, defending Jameis Winston.  I don't care for the guy, and as has been pointed out there's a good chance he should be in jail today.

Still, I try to see things in truth as much as I can, and the truth is the guy is a special football player.

No he doesnt have to be perfect. No QB is. However his decision making both off and sometimes on the field is a huge question. The fact Gruden said he was concerned about the number of INT's makes me pause as to his head being good during games. We all know his head isn't good when not playing. Him trying to do too much against Oregon also gives pause. He nearly lost other games where he made some boneheaded decisions. I will admit ALL QB's do that at some point. One last point....he is a very talented and athletic player. That doesn't always translate to success in the Pro's especially as a QB.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 10:25:19 am
No he doesnt have to be perfect. No QB is. However his decision making both off and sometimes on the field is a huge question. The fact Gruden said he was concerned about the number of INT's makes me pause as to his head being good during games. We all know his head isn't good when not playing. Him trying to do too much against Oregon also gives pause. He nearly lost other games where he made some boneheaded decisions. I will admit ALL QB's do that at some point. One last point....he is a very talented and athletic player. That doesn't always translate to success in the Pro's especially as a QB.

I don't have any question about his football abilities.  Whether or not he's going to be another one of those kids who is frequently suspended, or worse, remains to be seen.

Still, I think it was a risk worth taking for TB.  All they have to do is talk to Jerry's son in D and get the skinny on what they set up for Dez, and they should be well on their way to keeping JW on the field.  ;)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 05, 2015, 11:01:04 am
I don't have any question about his football abilities.  Whether or not he's going to be another one of those kids who is frequently suspended, or worse, remains to be seen.

Still, I think it was a risk worth taking for TB.  All they have to do is talk to Jerry's son in D and get the skinny on what they set up for Dez, and they should be well on their way to keeping JW on the field.  ;)

Still I don't necessarily agree his "head" on the field decision making is that great............Maybe so....Maybe not....We shall see. Especially if TB's OL is not that good and I have no clue how good it is or isn't.

bennyl08

Quote from: gawntrail on April 30, 2015, 10:19:02 pm
TB is my team. Hate the pick.  CRyan Leaf part deaux.

Should have traded down got some more OL maybe a LB or a best Corner/Safety on the board maybe try for Melvin Gordon or Yeldon to pound the rock and then wait to pick up Mannion in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round.  Mannion will be wearing SB hardware.  Mark my words.

I've seen Mannion play for 2 years now in person. He has very poor pocket awareness and can be very slow pulling the trigger. Look at what he did with Wheaton and then Cooks previously then remove them and his stats tumbled, even though he had 4 other NFL draft picks besides him on the team.

That said, I think he has a chance to have a 10 year career in the NFL as a backup. He has the arm strength for sure and his lack of mobility forces him to be better at reading defenses and the such. He will probably get a few starts this year with the rams if Foles gets injured.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Philip Seaton

Quote from: gawntrail on May 01, 2015, 06:48:57 pm
I don't like the kid.  I think he's a head case and it will overshadow his above average abilities.  He will bust out.

That said.

According to Tiki Barber this morning, the Crab Legs photo origin is from a Mike Alstott Charity event earlier this Spring.  The dude from Deadliest Catch was at the auction/event and asked for the pose with crab legs.  Winston handled it well and did the photo for the charity thing.  The Deadliest Catch guy sent Winston 25 pounds of Crab Legs to celebrate his draft night.

Again, that's what I heard on the radio this morning.

I don't like the kid, and the photo seems like he was stoking a fire, but, according to Tiki Barber, it was more of a shout out to the Deadliest Catch guy for sending the chow.

Either way, the photo is nothing to crucify him over.  His poor character has already dug him a deep enough ditch.  The rape allegation and multiple issues in the past would have ruled him out in my mind.  But, the NFL is the NFL.....

His future is in his hands.  I hope he wakes the **** up and realizes what a golden opportunity he has.

Did I mention I don't like the kid?......

Tiki Barber is a great example to live up to as well, leaving his pregnant wife for another women. Classic douchebag!

latrops

Quote from: Georgeofthejungle on April 30, 2015, 07:26:13 pm
   I am not a Jameis fan at all soley based on his off the field issues and the way he carries himself, BUT I believe he will be a solid to great NFL QB. He can make every throw, ideal NFL pocket passer, great size, and apparently is very smart from an academic standpoint(hard to believe based on decision making).

I think there is way too much risk given his off field decision making/immaturity for him to have been the #1 overall pick.  If there was any question as to whether talent trumps character, I don't know if you can have a better example to offer as evidence than this does.  On the field, he has a very good chance to make it.  Unlike the pitiful offensive situations most rookie qbs are thrown into, Tampa actually has some weapons.  If Winston can make the transistion from being an immature 20 year old to being a 23/24+ year old that understands that he has certain obligations and responsibilities, then he can go on to a fine career.  It is laid out pretty well for him to succeed.  The question is whether he has the character to take advantage of all he has going for him, of if he is just another punk that is going to screw up a good thing with an entitled and arrogant attitude.

bennyl08

Quote from: JayBell on May 01, 2015, 09:02:46 am
For the last two months, I've just kept wondering, "I can't be the only one that thinks Winston will be a bust, am I?"  To me, it looks like he'll be just like Vince Young and (somewhat less like) Cam Newton.  They're just head cases that got way too much hype out of school.  Newton is a fantasy football beast right now, but how much longer does he have?  How much has Carolina won with him? And of course Young...

Winston's workouts showed he wasn't the athletic freak so many talking heads made him out to be in college.  He's not a great passer and he's a head case.

With Mariota, I just don't see him taking his game to the next level.  He seems like a good leader and has his head on straight, but I just don't see enough football talent.  I could be wrong.

A first round bye in the playoffs as well as back to back playoff appearances. He has kept their team neck and neck with Seattle to the very end of the games despite a major talent differential. He has improved as a qb each year and without him, they wouldn't be able sniff the playoffs and we be perennial top 5 pickers in the draft.

As for my opinions on Winston and Mariota:

Winston: He has a very good arm and is athletic in the pocket. Run a pro-style offense well and has good size. The only concern I have with him as a player is will he put in the work and effort required in the NFL? If so, he will be a very successful quarterback.

Mariota: It is hard to really judge him. He is uber athletic, has great size, and has everything you want between the ears. However, I've seen him live a few times as well and he never has to make difficult throws. His receivers are almost always wide open when he throws the ball. I can't say that he can't make the NFL level throws because he hasn't really been asked to yet. He doesn't really show a terribly strong arm, Winston's is stronger, but it certainly seems adequate for the NFL.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

trashcan maN

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 03, 2015, 12:26:18 pm
Then next time quote the post you are referring to. You are now citing the OP so why did you quote my post in your post?
I quoted your post because I was explaining why the poster you quoted said the OP was a fail.

I overestimated your ability to put my post into the proper context. Just bring it down a couple of notches. No one is attacking you, good sir.