Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winston will be a bust for TB!!

Started by Rockpig5, April 30, 2015, 07:14:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: trashcan maN on May 05, 2015, 04:19:28 pm
I quoted your post because I was explaining why the poster you quoted said the OP was a fail.

I overestimated your ability to put my post into the proper context. Just bring it down a couple of notches. No one is attacking you, good sir.

By saying bring it down a couple of notches it is in effect an attack..............But what's more important is why you couldn't find a way to make your point using the original poster you were trying to counteract? I normally charge for the use of my assistance! Where should i send the invoice?................ ;D
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

trashcan maN

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 04:22:27 pm
Bt saying bring it down a couple of notches it is in effect an attack…………..But what's more important is why you couldn't find a way to make your point using the original poster you were trying to counteract? I normally charge for the use of my assistance! Where should i send the invoice?……………. ;D
I'm just impressed that you responded to my post within a minute.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: trashcan maN on May 05, 2015, 04:23:14 pm
I'm just impressed that you responded to my post within a minute.

Wife's out of town.................Bunny Ranch to far........Might as well spend time here. Come to think of it that's what I mostly do anyway! Now about that invoice........................I'll give you the Hog fan discount.....One package of Crab legs since we're in a Winston thread.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog N Bama

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 05, 2015, 01:45:53 pm
A first round bye in the playoffs as well as back to back playoff appearances. He has kept their team neck and neck with Seattle to the very end of the games despite a major talent differential. He has improved as a qb each year and without him, they wouldn't be able sniff the playoffs and we be perennial top 5 pickers in the draft.

As for my opinions on Winston and Mariota:

Winston: He has a very good arm and is athletic in the pocket. Run a pro-style offense well and has good size. The only concern I have with him as a player is will he put in the work and effort required in the NFL? If so, he will be a very successful quarterback.

Mariota: It is hard to really judge him. He is uber athletic, has great size, and has everything you want between the ears. However, I've seen him live a few times as well and he never has to make difficult throws. His receivers are almost always wide open when he throws the ball. I can't say that he can't make the NFL level throws because he hasn't really been asked to yet. He doesn't really show a terribly strong arm, Winston's is stronger, but it certainly seems adequate for the NFL.
I wouldn't bet on it.

thirrdegreetusker

The odds are against JW, because he won the Heisman.

Since 1960, 26 QBs have won the Heisman. Only two (Staubach, Plunkett) have won Super Bowls. Of the other 24, only about 5 have been "decent", or better, NFL QBs (Flutie, Testaverde, Bradford, Newton, Griffin). Opinions vary.

So, for whatever combination of reasons, if you are a Heisman-winning QB, the chances are about 70% that you will not have great success in the NFL. 

bennyl08

Quote from: Hog N Bama on May 06, 2015, 10:54:30 am
I wouldn't bet on it.

I didn't think Cam would put in the work and would instead rely on himself to win, and I was proven wrong. Plus, cam had bigger ego and off field issues than Winston. So, I'm leaning towards he will, but it's true, I'm not going to place any money on it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 06, 2015, 11:31:04 am
The odds are against JW, because he won the Heisman.

Since 1960, 26 QBs have won the Heisman. Only two (Staubach, Plunkett) have won Super Bowls. Of the other 24, only about 5 have been "decent", or better, NFL QBs (Flutie, Testaverde, Bradford, Newton, Griffin). Opinions vary.

So, for whatever combination of reasons, if you are a Heisman-winning QB, the chances are about 70% that you will not have great success in the NFL. 

I don't think winning the HT is a cause/effect relationship BUT that is a vey interestingly LOW percentage that do well after winning it. Good job on the research.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 06, 2015, 11:33:19 am

I didn't think Cam would put in the work and would instead rely on himself to win, and I was proven wrong. Plus, cam had bigger ego and off field issues than Winston. So, I'm leaning towards he will, but it's true, I'm not going to place any money on it.

While Cam's ego is other worldy, and his off the field issues considerable, I'm not sure his ego is any larger than Winston's, and his off the field issues aren't even in the same ballpark as Winston's.  I mean, RAPE??  Taking a couple hundred thousand to play at AU may have been bad, but it's not on the level with accused rape.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2015, 11:43:26 am
I don't think winning the HT is a cause/effect relationship ...........

A buddy of mine used a phrase that I refer to often, "He got to believin' his own BS".

Many people, after experiencing success, fail to recognize, appreciate, and DUPLICATE the factors that contributed to success.

Classic example: Head Coach wins NC by busting his tail 365. After winning the NC, he spends the following off-season making big bucks on the banquet circuit.  Neglects scouting, recruiting, player development and the other hard work that led to success in the first place.

Same thing may apply to HT-winning QBs. A whole lot of factors went into winning the HT, and that dream world is unlikely to be repeated in the NFL.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 06, 2015, 01:12:18 pm
While Cam's ego is other worldy, and his off the field issues considerable, I'm not sure his ego is any larger than Winston's, and his off the field issues aren't even in the same ballpark as Winston's.  I mean, RAPE??  Taking a couple hundred thousand to play at AU may have been bad, but it's not on the level with accused rape.

Not as bad as rape but he was caught with a stolen laptop.................Are those worth more than stolen Crab legs?

bennyl08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 06, 2015, 01:12:18 pm

It was proven he stole the laptop and that a Newton was paid for him to play at Auburn. Winston's charges never materialized. Raping somebody would easily top the other two combined if it for sure happened. There is a decent chance it did, but I could also see where it would not have happened. Hence, I don't fully count the incident nor do I fully discount it.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2015, 02:26:09 pm
Not as bad as rape but he was caught with a stolen laptop.................Are those worth more than stolen Crab legs?

I guess it depends on just how many crab legs he stole!!

But it is comparing an apple 80% rotten vs. one only 70% rotten -- I don't want to eat either!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bennyl08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 06, 2015, 04:31:28 pm
I guess it depends on just how many crab legs he stole!!

But it is comparing an apple 80% rotten vs. one only 70% rotten -- I don't want to eat either!!

Depends on how hungry you are. I'd rather eat 30% of an apple than 20%. When that hunger comes to winning football games, the thing that truly matters is the ability to win. If that rottenness gets them into trouble and hence suspended, that is a bad thing. A rotten person who still studies hard, plays the game well, and has the respect of his teammates on the field is all that matters when making money is the driving motivator. Give me a Cam over a Tebow any day when it comes to playing quarterback.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 06, 2015, 06:35:41 pm
Depends on how hungry you are. I'd rather eat 30% of an apple than 20%. When that hunger comes to winning football games, the thing that truly matters is the ability to win. If that rottenness gets them into trouble and hence suspended, that is a bad thing. A rotten person who still studies hard, plays the game well, and has the respect of his teammates on the field is all that matters when making money is the driving motivator. Give me a Cam over a Tebow any day when it comes to playing quarterback.

That depends on how big the apple is.