Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Atlanta Braves 2013

Started by bsking, February 04, 2013, 03:27:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bsking

Poised for a great season.  If we can hit for a little bit of average we could be the best team in the bigs.

OnTheHillHogFan

I'll go ahead and repost this in year but Dave O'Brien said today on twitter that Simmons will be leading off for the Netherlands in the WBC.

So right now I would guess the lineup will be

Simmons
Heyward
Justin Upton
Freeman
BJ Upton
McCann
Uggla
Francisco/Johnson
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

bsking

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on February 04, 2013, 06:50:03 pm
Simmons
Heyward
Justin Upton
Freeman
BJ Upton
McCann
Uggla
Francisco/Johnson

I think it's safe to say that that is what our lineup will look like.  At least after McCann gets back.

Rotation:

Hudson
Medlen
Minor
Maholm
Teheran

Beachy will replace the weak link in mid June.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: bsking on February 04, 2013, 07:19:54 pm
I think it's safe to say that that is what our lineup will look like.  At least after McCann gets back.

Rotation:

Hudson
Medlen
Minor
Maholm
Teheran

Beachy will replace the weak link in mid June.
Saw today where McCann thinks he will be good for opening day but Fredi said it will probably be a bout 2-3 weeks after.

Hopefully Teheran looks good because I am starting to believe he won't be anything more than a 4 or 5 starter instead of that 1 or 2 that everyone thought he would be.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

OnTheHillHogFan

Also today Keith Law ranked the Braves farm system 20th

bsking

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on February 04, 2013, 08:18:29 pm
Also today Keith Law ranked the Braves farm system 20th

Yeah, we are down quite a bit.  But as young as we are it's not really a problem.

ucahogfan

Quote from: bsking on February 04, 2013, 10:12:04 pm
Yeah, we are down quite a bit.  But as young as we are it's not really a problem.
Yeah, most of our top young talent is already in the majors.  It looks like the only 3 players on the roster that will see a lot of PT in 2013 and be 30+ are Uggla, Hudson, and Maholm.  This is one of the youngest, most talented teams in the majors and are built for a decade long run in most positions.  Heck, JUpton, J-Hey, Freeman, Kimbrel, Simmons, and Minor are all players we expect to be big contributors that will be 25 or younger on opening day.

fantana

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 05, 2013, 09:26:39 am
Yeah, most of our top young talent is already in the majors.  It looks like the only 3 players on the roster that will see a lot of PT in 2013 and be 30+ are Uggla, Hudson, and Maholm.  This is one of the youngest, most talented teams in the majors and are built for a decade long run in most positions.  Heck, JUpton, J-Hey, Freeman, Kimbrel, Simmons, and Minor are all players we expect to be big contributors that will be 25 or younger on opening day.

Thats scary...

OnTheHillHogFan

Teheran was ranked the 28th best overall prospect by Law today.

HROHog

bbates1

Gonna miss Chipper....Class Act

ucahogfan

Top 10 prospects according to Baseball Prospectus:

1.  Julio Teheran (no. 2-3 starter)
2.  J.R. Graham (no. 2-3 starter)
3.  Lucas Sims (no. 2-3 starter)
4.  Mauricio Cabrera (no. 2-3 starter)
5.  Christian Bethancourt (above average player)
6.  Sean Gilmartin (no. 4 starter)
7.  Jose Peraza (above average player)
8.  Alex Wood (late inning/set up)
9.  Tommy La Stella (every day player)
10.  Luis Merejo (no. 3-4 starter)

Top 10 players under 25:

1.  Justin Upton
2.  Jason Heyward
3.  Craig Kimbrel
4.  Andrelton Simmons
5.  Julio Teheran
6.  J.R. Graham
7.  Freddie Freeman
8.  Mike Minor
9.  Lucas Sims
10.  Christian Bethancourt

Although our farm system isn't that great, we are a very young team and if we keep the core intact, will be great for the next decade plus.

gutshot

March 10, 2013, 10:46:59 pm #14 Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:01:13 pm by gutshot
I hope they give Alex Wood a chance to prove his worth as a starter first. Yeah he could be a possible shut down closer, but he has the stuff to make it as a solid starter and that seems to be harder to come by these days.

They drafted some high risk/toolsy position guys in 2012. Hopefully some of those lower level bats like Connor Lien, Josh Elander, and Fernelys Sanchez and international guys like Carlos Franco will come on strong. The upper level position player pool is weak so having all of those young big leaguers will be huge. 

OnTheHillHogFan

Definitely need to have a strong draft these next 2 years or so.

AirForceHog

I am stoked for this season. The Braves have an awesome line up. Really young talent but still seasoned. Should be a fantastic year.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

HROHog

QuoteI am stoked for this season

Same here. I've been following the Braves since the 80's, and always look forward to opening day!

AirForceHog

I just bought MLB network for the computer. It would have been difficult to follow the Braves here in Korea without it. I'm excited to be able to see the games now.

Question. Does Medlen's performance this spring raise any concerns from you guys? I am really concerned he may not be anywhere as good as last year.

bsking

Quote from: AirForceHog on March 25, 2013, 08:04:02 am
I just bought MLB network for the computer. It would have been difficult to follow the Braves here in Korea without it. I'm excited to be able to see the games now.

Question. Does Medlen's performance this spring raise any concerns from you guys? I am really concerned he may not be anywhere as good as last year.

Don't worry about spring numbers.

But also don't expect Medlen to put up numbers like he did last year.  He'll be good, just not THAT good.

HROHog

I haven't been able to keep up with the preseason. What's been Medlen's problem this spring?

gutshot

Quote from: HROHog on March 26, 2013, 10:45:55 am
I haven't been able to keep up with the preseason. What's been Medlen's problem this spring?

Location for the most part.  He is throwing strikes, but they are finding the fat part of the plate.

I also think he is trying to pitch differently to certain teams (he got mauled by the Phillies and Nationals) because he knows he's going to face them alot in the regular season.

HROHog

Thanks for the info, hopefully the problems won't linger into the regular season.

AirForceHog

Quote from: gutshot on March 26, 2013, 10:59:10 am

Location for the most part.  He is throwing strikes, but they are finding the fat part of the plate.

I also think he is trying to pitch differently to certain teams (he got mauled by the Phillies and Nationals) because he knows he's going to face them alot in the regular season.

So you think he was purposely meatballing his pitches to those teams?

OnTheHillHogFan

He said in an interview the other day that in a couple of the outings that he has gotten hit pretty bad he had been working on several things like throwing certain pitches even when the count for them wasn't right and things like that.

gutshot

Yeah not necessarily meatballing them, even though some of his location issues make it look that way, but more like he is throwing change ups in fastball counts and fastballs in breaking ball counts and so on. The interviews make it sound like this is a conscious effort so I'm not too worried about his pitch selection...I just hope he starts locating them better. I feel like he will get that corrected pretty quickly though.

gutshot

Well Evan Gattis got the nod today over Matt Pagnozzi and it looks like Jonny Venters will miss some time, so the roster is pretty much set.  Assuming Varvaro and Cristhian Martinez get the last two bullpen spots because they are out of Minor League options, here are the 25 guys going to Atlanta:

Position Players:
Evan Gattis
Freddie Freeman
Dan Uggla
Andrelton Simmons
BJ Upton
Jason Heyward
Justin Upton
Chris Johnson
Gerald Laird
Ramiro Pena
Juan Francisco
Reed Johnson
Jordan Schafer

Pitchers:
Kris Medlen
Mike Minor
Tim Hudson
Paul Maholm
Julio Teheran
Cristhian Martinez
Eric O'Flaherty
Craig Kimbrel
Cory Gearrin
Luis Avilan
Jordan Walden
Anthony Varvaro

HROHog

I've got my fingers crossed on Venters, he such a critical part of their bullpen. At least from what I've read up on the past few days, everyone else came out unscathed, with the exception of Beachy and McCann who were already injured. I also read that McCann took some at bats in a minor league game, but he didn't run or catch.

HROHog

Venters is headed to see Dr Andrews  :(

bsking

HROHog

We are going to be very impressive defensively this year!

OnTheHillHogFan

Opening day lineup: SS Simmons RF Heyward LF J Upton 1B Freeman CF BJ Upton 2B Uggla 3B Johnson P Hudson

ucahogfan

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on March 31, 2013, 03:02:23 pm
Opening day lineup: SS Simmons RF Heyward LF J Upton 1B Freeman CF BJ Upton 2B Uggla 3B Johnson P Hudson
So Huddy will be throwing to the home plate ump who will be pulling double duty?

gutshot

Laird tomorrow. Possibly Gattis Wednesday according to Fredi.

AirForceHog

Opening Day roster for your Atlanta Braves!

PITCHERS: Hudson, Minor, Medlen, Maholm, Teheran, Avilan, Gearrin, Varvaro, Waldon, Martinez, O'Flaherty, and Kimbrel

CATCHERS: Gattis and Laird

INFIELDERS: Francisco, C Johnson, Simmons, Uggla, Freeman, and Pena

OUTFIELDERS: Heyward, B.J. Upton, J Upton, R Johnson, and Schafer

15 Day DL: Venters (retroactive to 3/27)
Beachy, McCann, & Janish (retroactive to 3/22)

GO BRAVES!!!

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 31, 2013, 03:48:22 pm
So Huddy will be throwing to the home plate ump who will be pulling double duty?
Yeah I guess it would help if we had a catcher out there.

bsking

ucahogfan

One of the top 2 teams in the MLB built for a long run.  Too bad the other is in our division as well.  Ready for opening day.  Do all of our OFs go 20/20 or even 30/30 this season?

bsking

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 01, 2013, 09:53:13 am
One of the top 2 teams in the MLB built for a long run.  Too bad the other is in our division as well.  Ready for opening day.  Do all of our OFs go 20/20 or even 30/30 this season?

I think 20/20 could happen.  If they all go 30/30 we will be in very, very good shape.

ucahogfan

Quote from: bsking on April 01, 2013, 10:08:29 am
I think 20/20 could happen.  If they all go 30/30 we will be in very, very good shape.
I think it isn't a stretch to say that our OF is the most athletic ever assembled and we get them in their primes.

AirForceHog

I'm in Korea. I am relying on you guys to keep me posted on what you see from the Braves. Happy Opening Day!

Go Braves!

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 01, 2013, 09:53:13 am
I would be a little surprised if they don't all go 20/20

OnTheHillHogFan

Pretty good start so far. Freeman with a 2 run HR in the first and Uggla led off the 2nd with a solo shot.

3-0 after 2 1/2

bsking

I bet we lead the NL in bombs and Ks.

AirForceHog

Can't wait to get back to the room and see the game. bought the MLB network online just so I could see the games. Sounds like they did a nice job today.

ucahogfan

Quote from: bsking on April 01, 2013, 11:00:41 pm
I bet we lead the NL in bombs and Ks.
Pretty safe assumption.  Have 6 regulars that should all hit 20+ and most of them in the 30 bomb range while we will swing and miss with the best of them.

gutshot

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 02, 2013, 09:03:35 am
Pretty safe assumption.  Have 6 regulars that should all hit 20+ and most of them in the 30 bomb range while we will swing and miss with the best of them.

And this is the main reason I think the 20/20 predictions are a little ambitious.  The potential is there no doubt, but with all of the mashers in this line up, I don't think stolen bases will be a high priority.  Besides that, the potential to run themselves out of an inning with strike em out/throw em out DPs will be significant.  Those factors along with Fredi's tendency NOT to send runners in the first place leads me to believe at least one of these guys (probably Justin) will fall short of 20 SBs. 

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: gutshot on April 02, 2013, 10:03:06 am
And this is the main reason I think the 20/20 predictions are a little ambitious.  The potential is there no doubt, but with all of the mashers in this line up, I don't think stolen bases will be a high priority.  Besides that, the potential to run themselves out of an inning with strike em out/throw em out DPs will be significant.  Those factors along with Fredi's tendency NOT to send runners in the first place leads me to believe at least one of these guys (probably Justin) will fall short of 20 SBs.
Fredi has already said that he wants the players to run and that he wants them to be aggressive

gutshot

It would be great if they did, as long as they don't get stupid with it. That lineup is going to drive in some runs regardless of the stolen bases. I would hate to see them swinging and missing and running themseleves out of innings, leaving all of that fire power in the on deck circle. And steals aside, they have a couple of pretty dang good base runners in general. Heyward is as good as I've ever seen at taking the extra base on a hit and Even though Uggla isn't a speed demon, he is pretty aggressive on the base paths. With those two and Simmons and the Uptons, they should be plenty aggressive even if they don't steal 20.