Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn & Mizzou have a great shot at the NC game.

Started by Adam Stokes, December 01, 2013, 12:41:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Stokes

I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio St loses, but I can still see a realistic scenario where even if Ohio St wins out an SEC team might pass them.  I don't want the thread to be about that.

I live out in Pac12 country, and when Oregon and Stanford were still in the mix for a NC game all the fans here were still rooting against the SEC, (esp Bama.)  I kept telling them that (IMO) a National Championship would be diminished if it weren't against an SEC team, since the SEC is undefeated in the NC game.  They still rooted against Bama regardless.

I don't think that if Mizzou or Auburn played FSU ten times they would win 5.  I think Bama could've beaten FSU at least 7 out of 10, if not more, but they are going to have to settle for the Sugar Bowl.

My worry and the point of the thread is this, as much as I love the SEC and root for us in the big games, I'm not sure whether I would prefer an FSU-OSU matchup to keep the streak alive vs. risking Auburn or Mizzou break the streak.  What are your thoughts?

popcornhog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 01, 2013, 12:41:02 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio St loses, but I can still see a realistic scenario where even if Ohio St wins out an SEC team might pass them.  I don't want the thread to be about that.

I live out in Pac12 country, and when Oregon and Stanford were still in the mix for a NC game all the fans here were still rooting against the SEC, (esp Bama.)  I kept telling them that (IMO) a National Championship would be diminished if it weren't against an SEC team, since the SEC is undefeated in the NC game.  They still rooted against Bama regardless.

I don't think that if Mizzou or Auburn played FSU ten times they would win 5.  I think Bama could've beaten FSU at least 7 out of 10, if not more, but they are going to have to settle for the Sugar Bowl.

My worry and the point of the thread is this, as much as I love the SEC and root for us in the big games, I'm not sure whether I would prefer an FSU-OSU matchup to keep the streak alive vs. risking Auburn or Mizzou break the streak.  What are your thoughts?

Bama's still alive too. IF OSU and FSU both lost, it'll be AU/Mizzou v Bama.

But yeah, AU could jump OSU if everybody wins.
WPS

moses_007

Whichever team wins the SEC championship does have a shot at the NC game... but, only if Fla. State or Ohio State loses Saturday.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 01, 2013, 12:41:02 pm

An OSU/FSU matchup would mean giving UM a chance to win his 3rd NC.  While I don't think they could beat FSU, if FSU has all their pieces, I would even hate to give OSU that chance.

In the cae of the SEC not having a chance this year to defend its streak, I think Bama was the only team capable of beating FSU in the NC game.

FSU is much better than either Mizzou or Auburn.

Mizzou is better than Auburn. With them facing a read option team every day in practice, they should have a good grasp of how to defend that offense.

Auburn should have two more losses and not even in the conversation  Still can't believe they beat UGA.

HAWG MAFIA

I want to see FSU lose, OSU to win and play either AU or Mizzou and Urban get his ass stomped. But I rarely get what I want.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Notre Dame only lost 4 games, does that not put the Irish up there for a NC spot?

Jamie Jones

Since we don't have to recruit against FSU (much) or tOSU (at all), I hope that they play in the NC. And I hope Urban get his tail kicked.I just can't make myself root for an SEC team. If the SEC gets in, it will likely be against FSU, and I hope FSU wins it.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

slowride

I always root for the SEC and sometimes even root against the hogs if we are playing an SEC team in the hunt for a nc.  I don't want to see us ruin an another sec team's chances for a nc.  But, don't get me wrong.  I love the hogs and that is the only time I root against us.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: slowride on December 01, 2013, 06:21:54 pm
I always root for the SEC and sometimes even root against the hogs if we are playing an SEC team in the hunt for a nc.  I don't want to see us ruin an another sec team's chances for a nc.  But, don't get me wrong.  I love the hogs and that is the only time I root against us.

either troll or worst fan ever

HSVhogfan

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on December 01, 2013, 06:47:10 pm
either troll or worst fan ever

Still a couple of scenarios that could get the SEC in the game. If Jameis is officially charged next week, and he is suspended from the team, the human polls will have time to drop FSU low enough. (Long shot)

If Auburn beat Missouri badly (another longshot, IMO), and OSU struggles with MSU in the Big 10 championship, Auburn could slide into number 2

alohawg

A true fan NEVER roots against their team, EVER!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

kuhog

I can't believe you are truly a hog fan. There is no way a true hog fan ever roots for a loss.

ronmahony

That is the damndest thing I believe I have ever read on here. Your parents know you are playing on their computer?
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

TebowHater

Literally has to be to a joke.

GlassofSwine

So does that mean after the Rutgers loss you were rooting against us against A&M, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina and Auburn? We didn't play a team that wasn't in the running in conference until we got to Ole Miss.

Murr

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 01, 2013, 02:29:48 pm
An OSU/FSU matchup would mean giving UM a chance to win his 3rd NC.  While I don't think they could beat FSU, if FSU has all their pieces, I would even hate to give OSU that chance.

In the cae of the SEC not having a chance this year to defend its streak, I think Bama was the only team capable of beating FSU in the NC game.

FSU is much better than either Mizzou or Auburn.

Mizzou is better than Auburn. With them facing a read option team every day in practice, they should have a good grasp of how to defend that offense.

Auburn should have two more losses and not even in the conversation  Still can't believe they beat UGA.

if Ohio State(.9503) beats Michigan State(.6529) would they still have a higher average than if Auburn(.9233) beats Mizzou(.8428)?

I don't think Alabama could rise to number two even if Ohio State and Auburn loses since Mizzou's proposed victory over Auburn should push Mizzou over the Alabam BCS points gap which is currently 0.0111.  Now if Duke also beat FSU, that would push Alabama into the title game against the SEC winner granted that Oklahoma State nor Stanford make up that ground with wins this weekend.

hawgeathawg

Whoever wins the SEC needs to rout the other team if they hope to jump the suckeyes (without them losing). Leave no doubt. Don't expect that will happen.

PonderinHog

SouthSide Johnny

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

jbcarol

Paul Myerberg ‏@PaulMyerberg 28m
Auburn-Mizzou is just the 2nd conference title game in FBS history to match two teams coming off seasons with losing records.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

kaiserhog

If Ohio State and Florida State are undefeated, they should play in the BCSNCG.