Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ronnie and the NBA Draft

Started by 4th and 1, May 23, 2006, 04:15:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

subliznime

Quote from: slumpbuster on May 24, 2006, 11:17:55 am
Quote from: 4th and 1 on May 24, 2006, 10:57:28 am
I think he'd make more if he waited a year...better team coming...more role players.

Where's your logic in thinking that?  This is the first year that the NBA age requirements go into effect so the whole class of 18 year old kids that normally would've gone pro will not be able to.  This open the door for players like Brewer who might normally be drafted into the 20's to move up to big-dollar lottery status.  If he waits until next year he'll have that whole crop 18 year old to compete against plus the normal assortment of college players who'll be coming out.

I just don't understand you guys make it seem like he is going to make so much more in the lottery than being drafted lower. The league difference in salary last year for rookies that were in the lottery vs. those that were picked in the first or second round, was $500,000 I'm not trying to say that is not a lot of money because 1.5 mil in three years difference is a lot. However RB has never even made 30,000 in one year if ever even close he will have a sufficient amount of money whether he gets chosen this year at number 8 or next year at 25, more money than he or Boot has ever seen. You don't make a career in the NBA by just being a lottery pick and living off your money you made for your first three years. You make a living going out and contributing for your team. If he does not live up to his #8 selection he will become a journeyman. If he waits a year and gets on a good team, he can make great money and be in a better situation to help em-better his future as an NBA team's cornerstone for good D. Furthermore he is no josh howard. I think josh has the ability to be a superstar in this league probably sometime in the next one or two years ronnie will not ever be a superstar but i do think he will be a perfect role player, but i do hope he proves me wrong.

Lando Calrissian

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a solid complimentary or role-player...and the demand for such players is great.

Just ask Robert Horry.

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 24, 2006, 02:49:01 pm
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a solid complimentary or role-player...and the demand for such players is great.

Just ask Robert Horry.

"I just hit clutch 3's baby."
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: dubyacee on May 24, 2006, 03:03:30 pm

Just ask Robert Horry.

How many rings does Horry have?  4 or 5?

Being a great complimentary can pay off in the long run.  That is what Ronnie could be.

Just because some of us say he won't be an All-Star (which we won't), doesn't mean he can't be a solid piece to a championship team.

That is why I think a lottery team needs more help than what Brewer can offer.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 24, 2006, 03:40:54 pm

Just ask Robert Horry.

Being a great complimentary can pay off in the long run.  That is what Ronnie could be.

Just because some of us say he won't be an All-Star (which we won't), doesn't mean he can't be a solid piece to a championship team.

6 actually.  3 with lakers, 2 on back to back rocket champion teams, and 1 with the spurs.  the reason I made that quote, is because chris Carter of the Minnesota vikings used to say, "I just catch TD's baby.", and a guy I used to work with, during the Lakers run, put the quote in context for Robert Horry. 

He used to call Horry "Big Shot Bob".  but I am getting off course. 

i don't think that RB has what a lottery team needs, like you said.  a lottery team is in the lottery for a reason, they suck and they need imediate help.  RB cannot provide immediate help, and it may actually be a few years before he can contribute in any significant manner to a team. 

mbgrulz

Just ask Robert Horry.

try 6!

nwarazfan

If Brewer would have been a Nolan recruit, would this ignorant negativity about his future be spewed. 

What is it exactly that will hold him back?  His shot?  He avg 18-19 a game here while being the focal point of opposing defenses and got no consistant help.  Can he not create his own shot?  I saw plenty of times where he was able to get his shot off in a one on one situation.  Is it because he's not strong enough?  Can't jump high enough? 

None of you with this "he isn't good enough to help" premise has given any basketball reasons as to why.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: dubyacee6 actually.  3 with lakers, 2 on back to back rocket champion teams, and 1 with the spurs.  the reason I made that quote, is because chris Carter of the Minnesota vikings used to say, "I just catch TD's baby.", and a guy I used to work with, during the Lakers run, put the quote in context for Robert Horry. 

i don't think that RB has what a lottery team needs, like you said.  a lottery team is in the lottery for a reason, they suck and they need imediate help.  RB cannot provide immediate help, and it may actually be a few years before he can contribute in any significant manner to a team.

I was agreeing with you, I guess I should have made that more clear.

But yeah, we're on the same page.

My comments were aimed at those that assume that just because we don't think Ronnie will be an all-star, does NOT mean that he will fail in the NBA.

He'll find his place, and I totally understand why teams want him.

If anything, I think he'll be more successful (in the long run) should he go later in the draft.

Like both dubyacee and I said, the teams that are picking early are picking early for a reason.

Do we REALLY want Ronnie to play for the Utah Jazz?

nwarazfan

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 24, 2006, 04:05:09 pm
Quote from: dubyacee6 actually.  3 with lakers, 2 on back to back rocket champion teams, and 1 with the spurs.  the reason I made that quote, is because chris Carter of the Minnesota vikings used to say, "I just catch TD's baby.", and a guy I used to work with, during the Lakers run, put the quote in context for Robert Horry. 

I was agreeing with you, I guess I should have made that more clear.

But yeah, we're on the same page.

My comments were aimed at those that assume that just because we don't think Ronnie will be an all-star, does NOT mean that he will fail in the NBA.

He'll find his place, and I totally understand why teams want him.

If anything, I think he'll be more successful (in the long run) should he go later in the draft.

Like both dubyacee and I said, the teams that are picking early are picking early for a reason.

Do we REALLY want Ronnie to play for the Utah Jazz?

Why do care what team a "role" player plays for?  If he will be that uninteresting, why care?

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: nwarazfanWhy do care what team a "role" player plays for?  If he will be that uninteresting, why care?

Because I'm "ignant"?

No, seriously, I've known Ronnie since he was 7.

That sorta makes me want to care.

nwarazfan

So since you know him so well, what is it about his game holding him back?  His shot, he carries his dribble to high, no quickness on his first step, not strong enough to defend, can't finish around the basket, bad court vision, poor basketball iq,.... give me something.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: nwarazfan on May 24, 2006, 04:18:20 pm
So since you know him so well, what is it about his game holding him back?

Holding him back from what?

The biggest thing that will hold him back will be being drafted by a horrible team that expects him to do too much.

He might want to improve his shooting and 1 on 1 defense, too.

He could easily be a Tashaun Prince-ish type player. 

I don't know why you think that is so offensive.

mbgrulz

Quote from: dubyacee on May 24, 2006, 03:54:53 pm

Just ask Robert Horry.

6 actually.  3 with lakers, 2 on back to back rocket champion teams, and 1 with the spurs.  the reason I made that quote, is because chris Carter of the Minnesota vikings used to say, "I just catch TD's baby.", and a guy I used to work with, during the Lakers run, put the quote in context for Robert Horry. 

actually, chris carter didnt say that, his ex-coach, who didnt care much for him, was complaining about chris' game one day and said "all he does is catch touchdowns". chris berman and ESPN grabbed on to it and tagged it onto every highlight reel he ever made. thats how that started.

clemensrules01

Quote from: nwarazfan on May 24, 2006, 04:05:01 pm
If Brewer would have been a Nolan recruit, would this ignorant negativity about his future be spewed. 

What is it exactly that will hold him back?  His shot?  He avg 18-19 a game here while being the focal point of opposing defenses and got no consistant help.  Can he not create his own shot?  I saw plenty of times where he was able to get his shot off in a one on one situation.  Is it because he's not strong enough?  Can't jump high enough? 

None of you with this "he isn't good enough to help" premise has given any basketball reasons as to why.

+1. dubyacee hasnt given any reasons why he wont be good. his reasons are probably that he has an ugly shot (i'd take an ugly shot if it got me 18 a game), he didn't come up big at the end of games (he dominated at the end of the first florida game), and he cant play defense (he may not be the next ron artest, but a guy leading the sec in steals per game doesnt play bad defense).

nwarazfan

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 24, 2006, 04:24:29 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on May 24, 2006, 04:18:20 pm
So since you know him so well, what is it about his game holding him back?

Holding him back from what?

The biggest thing that will hold him back will be being drafted by a horrible team that expects him to do too much.

He might want to improve his shooting and 1 on 1 defense, too.

He could easily be a Tashaun Prince-ish type player. 

I don't know why you think that is so offensive.

Not offensive.  You have been so positive on RB's future. 

So all you have is shooting and 1 on 1 defense?  At least its something.

hawgdawg

May 24, 2006, 04:58:10 pm #65 Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 05:00:15 pm by hawgdawg
there are a few of you guys out there that talk like you are an NBA General Manager or a consultant of some kind...

I read someone say RB doesn't have what a lottery team needs...etc...well if he's picked by a lottery team, then THEY must think he has what they need.. again, I'll take the experts opinion over  you guys who think ronnie doesn't deserve to be in the league or won't be a lottery pick..time will tell...some on this board actually talk as if they know more about the NBA then the General Managers in the league do...you are also the guys who love it when a coach makes a mistake so you can tell everyone how you would have done something different and how you have known the guy can't coach...a little bit of that goes a long ways guys

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: nwarazfanSo all you have is shooting and 1 on 1 defense?  At least its something.

You're right.

Small forwards do not need those skills in the NBA.

Hognob

I think he could be a better pro than collegian because of the way the NBA game is played.  I don't think he will be perennial all-star, but I see him being one atleast twice in his career.

hoggystyle78

Brewer will be a solid but unspectacular pro, as good as he does alot of things on the floor, I can see him having a fairly long pro career. Even if he's not an all-star he'll still be getting paid big bucks, kinda hard to complain about that.

Boss Hogg

They had one draft board in the paper today (can't remember which) with Brewer going 7th to the Celtics.  I personally think he'll end up somewhere in the 15-20 range if he stays in...with minimal PT next year wherever he goes.

felixfan

even if ronnie brewer is really a lottery pick, this year he will be.  one really big reason why he will be a lottery pick

the talent is down this year in the draft.

i mean come on, when the number 1 pick would have been that girl of a man jokeam(sp) noah if he would have stayed the talent has to be down.  Tyrus Thomas will be a decent player but in 2003 with the class of lebron and d. wade noah wouldnt have been in the top 10.

mbgrulz

if noah is a girlyman, i would hate to think of what people think of some of our players. let's not forget, the only reason we beat them this year is b/c he was in foul trouble the whole game and fouled out with crucial time left on the clock. yeah, he looks like a fag and he's ugly, but i bet he's having more luck with the ladies than anybody on here.

the draft is VERY weak and there's no reason for RB to come back. he'll be a lotto pick this year, and it would take a miracle season (which i think we could have with RB) to make him one of the elite picks next year, but chances on that are slim.

the draft may get crowded next year, but im not ready to crown greg oden the # 1 pick yet. let him go against some guys who are 3 or 4 years older than him and can bang with him. people are so sure that guys like oden, thad young, and a couple other high schoolers will be lotto picks next year and they may be, but dont buy into it just yet.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: clemensrules01 on May 24, 2006, 04:29:13 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on May 24, 2006, 04:05:01 pm

+1. dubyacee hasnt given any reasons why he wont be good. his reasons are probably that he has an ugly shot (i'd take an ugly shot if it got me 18 a game), he didn't come up big at the end of games (he dominated at the end of the first florida game), and he cant play defense (he may not be the next ron artest, but a guy leading the sec in steals per game doesnt play bad defense).
My reason is simple.  He isn't that good.  I don't care how his shot looks, as long as it goes in.  He is not a good 3 point shooter, he only plays for a half of a game.  How many times this year did he score 2 or 3 in the first half of a game and then score 13-16 in the 2nd half?  It wasn't like he was blowing teams up in the first, they made a halftime adjustment and shut him down. The only reason he scored 18 a game was that he played on one of the worst 3 Hog teams in the past 15 years. No doubt he was the best player on this team, but that isn't saying much.  You pick 1 game out of his career to back your point about him coming up big at the end of games.  He could play defense, but not at this level of competition. 

The fact is Ronnie Brewer is an average player.  I feel I don't have to have any GM experience to have an opinion. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 25, 2006, 10:58:07 am
if noah is a girlyman, i would hate to think of what people think of some of our players. let's not forget, the only reason we beat them this year is b/c he was in foul trouble the whole game and fouled out with crucial time left on the clock. yeah, he looks like a fag and he's ugly, but i bet he's having more luck with the ladies than anybody on here.

the draft is VERY weak and there's no reason for RB to come back. he'll be a lotto pick this year, and it would take a miracle season (which i think we could have with RB) to make him one of the elite picks next year, but chances on that are slim.

the draft may get crowded next year, but im not ready to crown greg oden the # 1 pick yet. let him go against some guys who are 3 or 4 years older than him and can bang with him. people are so sure that guys like oden, thad young, and a couple other high schoolers will be lotto picks next year and they may be, but dont buy into it just yet.

In the new "The Sporting News" Oden is quoted as saying he expects to stay with Ohio St "longer than 2 years".  Of course that is probably BS but still. 

PigNewton

Quote from: Boner on May 23, 2006, 06:27:49 pm
I don't see any reason why Ronnie Brewer can't be a very similar player to Josh Howard.

more like an andre igoudala. gets most of his points off the break, dunks, and a few jumpers here and there.