Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Past glory

Started by BDSCT51, March 25, 2015, 08:01:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BDSCT51

Long time lurker with something that "may" actually be interesting to a few of you. And if not smite away............................

Had an interesting experience with a vendor today. This gentleman was really nice, around 40ish or so and tall. We chatted about business and I gave him a tour of our part of the facility. He was duly impressed and we certainly rely on their support and products here at Big G.

Talk turned to sports and basketball as I informed him a few of us in Savannah are transplanted Hog fans that bleed Razorback Red. Now it got interesting! He stated he played in college and had the opportunity to play against the 94 National Champs in Fayetteville! He went to Coastal Carolina and was a point guard on their team. He recounted his adventures against Corliss, Scotty, Corey, Stewart and crew at BWA that year. His telling comments, "They were good". I introduced him to one of our other Hog fanatics and we had a great chat about past glory of those Hogs and his time at CC.

A very interesting visit and unexpected pleasure during the work week for this Hog fan!
Bleeding Razorback Red

1hogfan

Thanks for sharing. It made me smile!

MikePiazza

Quote from: BDSCT51 on March 25, 2015, 08:01:10 pm
Long time lurker with something that "may" actually be interesting to a few of you. And if not smite away............................

Had an interesting experience with a vendor today. This gentleman was really nice, around 40ish or so and tall. We chatted about business and I gave him a tour of our part of the facility. He was duly impressed and we certainly rely on their support and products here at Big G.

Talk turned to sports and basketball as I informed him a few of us in Savannah are transplanted Hog fans that bleed Razorback Red. Now it got interesting! He stated he played in college and had the opportunity to play against the 94 National Champs in Fayetteville! He went to Coastal Carolina and was a point guard on their team. He recounted his adventures against Corliss, Scotty, Corey, Stewart and crew at BWA that year. His telling comments, "They were good". I introduced him to one of our other Hog fanatics and we had a great chat about past glory of those Hogs and his time at CC.

A very interesting visit and unexpected pleasure during the work week for this Hog fan!

They didn't play Coastal Carolina that year, so is he mixing up the years?
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HawgTrough

WPS

WizardofhOgZ

The guys is probably blowing smoke up your arse . . . Coastal Carolina has never played in Fayetteville.  We did play them in Corliss' freshman year in LR, but Corliss was out with a stress fracture the first half off that season and did not play in the Carolina game.

http://www.hogstats.com/seriesresults.php?opponent=Coastal%20Carolina

Over the years, I've run into several folks who have lied about playing on this team, or that.  First time I noticed it was in the mid-80's, when I moved into a new home in a developing neighborhood.  One of the neighbors just a little older than me said he played college football.  I was a little surprised, as he didn't particularly look like an athlete, but we were all a few years past our "peak" playing condition at that point, so I didn't think much of it. 

That was, until I asked him where and he said "Arkansas".  Obviously, he picked the wrong guy and wrong school to try that scam on.  I had not heard of him, but in the days when he would have played (late 60's/early 70's) the squads were much bigger because there weren't any limit on scholarships, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  However, 3 or 4 questions about personnel indicated the guy was clearly lying.

I didn't "out" him . . . what would the point have been?  But I did tell my wife to steer clear of him and his floozy wife afterwards.  No telling what kind of flim/flam man that guy was, and I didn't want any part of it.

MikePiazza

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 26, 2015, 04:39:40 pm
The guys is probably blowing smoke up your arse . . . Coastal Carolina has never played in Fayetteville.  We did play them in Corliss' freshman year in LR, but Corliss was out with a stress fracture the first half off that season and did not play in the Carolina game.

Over the years, I've run into several folks who have lied about playing on this team, or that.  First time I noticed it was in the mid-80's, when I moved into a new home in a developing neighborhood.  One of the neighbors just a little older than me said he played college football.  I was a little surprised, as he didn't particularly look like an athlete, but we were all a few years past our "peak" playing condition at that point, so I didn't think much of it. 

That was, until I asked him where and he said "Arkansas".  Obviously, he picked the wrong guy and wrong school to try that scam on.  I had not heard of him, but in the days when he would have played (late 60's/early 70's) the squads were much bigger because there weren't any limit on scholarships, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  However, 3 or 4 questions about personnel indicated the guy was clearly lying.

I didn't "out" him . . . what would the point have been?  But I did tell my wife to steer clear of him and his floozy wife afterwards.  No telling what kind of flim/flam man that guy was, and I didn't want any part of it.

People do it all the time. They think it gives them credibility because they know how revered Hogs are in this state.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

MountieDawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 26, 2015, 04:39:40 pm

The OP's original post was bad enough, no need to blow holes in a bad post if it had been true.
SEC!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 26, 2015, 04:48:06 pm
The OP's original post was bad enough, no need to blow holes in a bad post if it had been true.

Just goes to show you how people have different opinions about things like this.  For example, I think your post was a total waste of time and bandwidth.

So there you are.  "You say po-TAY-toe, I say po-TAH-toe . . ."

BDSCT51

Well, lesson learned. I'll do more fact checking and investigation in the future before I practice my Robert Shields impression...............
Bleeding Razorback Red

Hogberry Snortcake

Although it wouldn't be the first time somebody didn't know the difference between Little Rock and Fayetteville.