Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trey T

Started by NLRHog92, March 25, 2015, 07:52:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NLRHog92

Just wondering why Trey Thompson didn't redshirt this year. Don't think the mop up duty against non-SEC opponents really helped that much. He grew through conditioning and going in practice against Portis and Harris. Just seems like a waste.

incHOGnito

Probably the same reason Elmer Martin and Ray Biggers didn't redshirt.

CallMeAl

Quote from: incHOGnito on March 25, 2015, 08:19:53 pm
Ray Biggers played 10-12 minutes in 10-12 games his freshman year.
Hog since birth.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NLRHog92 on March 25, 2015, 07:52:25 pm
Just wondering why Trey Thompson didn't redshirt this year. Don't think the mop up duty against non-SEC opponents really helped that much. He grew through conditioning and going in practice against Portis and Harris. Just seems like a waste.

I said after the red white game he needed to red shirt.  We wasted a year of his eligibility for a big man, I bet we will be hoping he had another year in the end

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 25, 2015, 09:00:12 pm
I said after the red white game he needed to red shirt.  We wasted a year of his eligibility for a big man, I bet we will be hoping he had another year in the end

Doubtful, I don't know of anyone that red shirts, outside of a transfer or injury these days. They seem to either contribute by then, or move on.

Breems

Had Portis or Kingsley went down with an injury, he would've been the only big man left. I'm guessing that's why.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Uncle SI

Ray B has expected to score between 10-12pts a game but didn't produce. I think he didn't start clicking until 10-12 games in his Jr yr.
First time, long time, great topic, love the show.

Hogarusa

Basketball players still redshirt?  Can't recall the last time I have seen/heard a RS SR on a D1 squad
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rude1

Nobody red shirts anymore in basketball unless they get injured and can't play their freshman year. With limited scholarships, if a guy isn't good enough to crack your rotation the last thing you want to do is let him hold a spot for 5 years.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: incHOGnito on March 25, 2015, 08:19:53 pm

Martin and Biggers both redshirted during the 90-91 season along with Davor Rimac

Letsroll1200

Manny Watkins didn't redshirt but was a pleasant surprise this season! Maybe Trey can do the same thing.

hawg66

If a player isn't seeing the floor by the end of his second year, he probably wants to transfer out.  If he's burned his redshirt, he'll lose a year of eligiblity with a transfer, making his willingness to move on much less likely.  Saving the redshirt helps the player and the team.

This is basketball, not football.

WarPig88

Basketball players don't redshirt a lot so that the coaches can maintain their balance in recruiting.

You don't want too many guys leaving at the same time, ala Stan Heath.

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hog.goblin

Quote from: rude1 on March 25, 2015, 10:20:47 pm
Nobody red shirts anymore in basketball unless they get injured and can't play their freshman year. With limited scholarships, if a guy isn't good enough to crack your rotation the last thing you want to do is let him hold a spot for 5 years.

But see, he didn't crack the rotation.  If Portis leaves he could have had 4 years of full time play.  Now he just gets 3.  If he wasn't good enough in year 2 he could transfer and still have 3 years at a d1 or 4 if steps down a level.

I know the thinking with basketball and redshirts, it's just that it's poor thinking (widespread, not a shot at CMA).

Lots of guys bloom a year or two later.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2015, 09:37:52 pm
Doubtful, I don't know of anyone that red shirts, outside of a transfer or injury these days. They seem to either contribute by then, or move on.
Yeah nobody is going to take up roster space for 5 years anymore.

mhuff

Waste of a year. Too bad

nwahogfan1

I started that question on another board and got beat up.  I think any kid who only gets the minutes of Trey would have been better served to RS.  Why not?   Why waste a year.  They biggest reason I got on another board was no one does it anymore.   Go figure.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hawg66 on March 26, 2015, 09:01:49 am
If a player isn't seeing the floor by the end of his second year, he probably wants to transfer out.  If he's burned his redshirt, he'll lose a year of eligiblity with a transfer, making his willingness to move on much less likely.  Saving the redshirt helps the player and the team.

This is basketball, not football.
Lots of kids transfer down who are not seeing playing time by their 2nd year and they get to play immediately at a Division 2 school.  So void reason. UAFS here in Fort Smith gets one or two a year like that..