Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Kleine

Started by HawgWild, March 25, 2015, 09:32:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

March 25, 2015, 09:32:18 am Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:03:59 am by HawgWild
With the coaching change at UALR are we going to see Joe Klein up on the hill helping out? I know he wasn't a player for Nolan and he really wasn't around when MA was there as an AC because of his pro career but he's hardcore Razorback. I remember him doing color during Stan's time here. He couldn't refrain his frustration with how the program was progressing and I think that cost him that job.

What do you guts think?

Kevin

what has he done in his coaching career to warrant him being a coach at arkansas?

not playing career, but coaching career
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgWild

Quote from: Kevin on March 25, 2015, 09:43:27 am
what has he done in his coaching career to warrant him being a coach at arkansas?

I didn't mention him being a coach. I'm talking about having a presence, showing up, working a little with the bigs, talking up the program, etc.

What's a guy got to do to earn having his name spelled correctly?

Plus, Joe has deep ties in LR and may not want to move.

GuvHog

He's had some success as a private coach working with big men. That's his forte'.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jackflash

If Joe wanted to drop by and work with our big man. I am down with that

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on March 25, 2015, 11:45:32 am
He's had some success as a private coach working with big men. That's his forte'.

ok, thanks for the info
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

alohawg

I'm all for any former hog helping out, especially a great one like Joe.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hoglady

Joe's been an assistant under Shields for a number of years.
I would think his hat is in the ring for the head coaching job at UALR.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Porked Tongue

March 25, 2015, 02:10:27 pm #9 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:22:23 pm by Porked Tongue
Darrell Walker to UALR.

RazorPiggie

Probably about as much as Zimmerman or Cleveland.

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on March 25, 2015, 11:45:32 am

who has he worked with?

rude1

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 25, 2015, 02:38:20 pm
So Joe has been an assistant coach at 3 different programs that have gone to NCAA tourneys, Couple of Sweet 16s, and an Elite 8? Those guys have been with CMA when he couldn't have commanded elite assistants, there is no way he is dumping any of them now. It's called being loyal to the guys who had your back when your success was just a dream.

TulsaJack32

He's a big man coach.  It would certainly help MA.  Not only was he a good big man especially on offense, he played against two of the best big guys of all time in college, Akeem and Ewing.  He has knowledge to give.  Would definitely help the development of Kingsley.   But your right, he probably won't just dump someone for him.  Now he also has Mayberry in the wings. 

HSVhogfan2

Known pretty well in NBA circles as a very good teacher of technique for big men. What has any of the AR assistant coaches done in their coaching career to warrant their jobs?
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hoglady

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 25, 2015, 02:10:27 pm
Darrell Walker to UALR.

I wish - he should have gotten the job instead of Moncrief years ago.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hoglady on March 25, 2015, 08:27:37 pm
I wish - he should have gotten the job instead of Moncrief years ago.

I thought Walker was a marshall at Chenal CC. ;)
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

jdlittle

i dont wish the ualr job on any of the former razorbacks.  I did not know their was an opening at arkansas ;  dont think kleine is going to move to nw arkansas to just help out.  he is a lr guy. 

Flatline

March 25, 2015, 09:42:05 pm #18 Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:49:01 am by Flatline
Yep

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Flatline on March 25, 2015, 09:42:05 pm
He was a great post guy in his day. Owned the almighty Shaq in college. I would love for him to work with Kingsley.

Big Joe played against Shaq in college? Damn

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Gonzo

He was a great post guy in his day. Owned the almighty Shaq in college. I would love for him to work with Kingsley.

That's pretty impressive considering their college careers were several years apart

Go Hogs!

Rawker

Nope.  But thanks for bringing up the Big O, who did indeed befuddle the Shaqster in a few games!

alohawg

Quote from: Gonzo on March 25, 2015, 10:06:18 pm

That's pretty impressive considering their college careers were several years apart

Go Hogs!

lol, Big O baby!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HawgWild

I doubt Big Joe is offered the UALR job, or wants it. He has a business down in LR so I don't think he cares to move to Fayetteville. But I bet if asked he'd come up to talk with the team and work with a player or two. He was pretty much dismissed as the color guy for expressing his frustration with the accomplishments of the basketball team during Stan's time. His comments weren't personal in nature but were taken that way. Joe's a competitor and he thought the team should have shown more of that characteristic.

I think they players would respond and appreciate any former Hog with an NBA championship ring and Olympic gold medal wanting to work with them.

WarPig88

I seriously doubt MA would want Klein.

Klein was not really respectful of Nolan's style while doing color commentary on the radio and he was also a part of the "committee" that disrespected MA with a token interview after Nolan was fired.

I remember Joe commenting on the radio that MA wasn't very good in his interview while Porter Moser was fantastic.

Probably not a lot of love lost there.

Kevin

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 25, 2015, 08:05:22 pm
Known pretty well in NBA circles as a very good teacher of technique for big men. What has any of the AR assistant coaches done in their coaching career to warrant their jobs?

besides melvin watkins, absolutely NOTHING!!

HawgWild

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 26, 2015, 09:19:09 am

Klein was not really respectful of Nolan's style while doing color commentary on the radio and he was also a part of the "committee" that disrespected MA with a token interview after Nolan was fired.

I don't remember Joe doing color commentary while Nolan was coach. He was in the pros from 1985 - 2000. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?

WarPig88

Quote from: HawgWild on March 26, 2015, 09:52:26 am
I don't remember Joe doing color commentary while Nolan was coach. He was in the pros from 1985 - 2000. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?

Not mistaken at all. He was doing color commentary on the TV broadcast when we played OSU in LR and lost a big lead to them to lose the game.

He was bragging about Sutton's ability to bring his team back for the victory. Even said, "now that's coaching!" as a slap at Nolan.

Nolan coached here until 2002.

HawgWild

Like I said, some folks took is comments personally.

The_Bionic_Pig

Cleveland has been actively trying to advance his career to a head coaching gig.  Zimmerman seems content to be a career asst. coach
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Athog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 25, 2015, 02:38:20 pm

Maybe more.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Karma on March 25, 2015, 10:05:52 am
What's a guy got to do to earn having his name spelled correctly?

Plus, Joe has deep ties in LR and may not want to move.
Klein is such a tool...

OldCoot

Quote from: hoglady on March 25, 2015, 01:53:31 pm
Joe's been an assistant under Shields for a number of years.
I would think his hat is in the ring for the head coaching job at UALR.

The A.D. pretty much signaled he is cleaning house.  After getting rid of such a community leader like Shields, he's not going to have much of a choice.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 27, 2015, 10:02:54 am
Klein is such a tool...

Haha! ISWYDT......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Porked Tongue

Zimmerman does the bulk of the work at practice.  By that I mean hands on during drills.