Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dusty Hannahs - missing link for an Elite 2015-16 season?

Started by Thepigdoctor, March 24, 2015, 10:29:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thepigdoctor

With current signs pointing to Qualls and Portis returning, let's take a look at a kid who could truly be a difference maker in a key role.  It's no secret that one of, if not our biggest problem this season was reliable bench scoring, with Bell being about our only semi-consistent producer off the bench.

While it's debateable at this point who will win the starting job at SG next year, one thing is known, Hannahs could certainly provide a huge spark from beyond the arc in either the starting or bench role.

I'm not sure if this was posted before, but if so, it certainly deserves another look. Highlights from his career night 2014 @West Virginia, a team known for playing a little defense. He scored 25 points, was 7-7 from beyond the arc. Hit some incredibly tough shots and showed off that pure stroke.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/012214aaa.html

secfan30

Music City Razorback

I hope the WV game is more of what he'll do here.  After that game, he was 10-38 (26%) from 3-point range the remainder of the year.  Consistency is definately what we need, so hopefully he'll be ready.  It would be a great pick up if so.
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

dotnet

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 25, 2015, 07:30:48 am
I hope the WV game is more of what he'll do here.  After that game, he was 10-38 (26%) from 3-point range the remainder of the year.  Consistency is definately what we need, so hopefully he'll be ready.  It would be a great pick up if so.

Its hard to tell too much from scouting the box score.  He was on a crappy team.  It is pretty easy to cover up someone like Hannah on tceh. 

The difference in good looks playing for Tceh and playing on a team with Qualls, Portis, Whitt, etc.... not even close. 

JayBell

There's no magic key that unlocks Arkansas' destiny to be a great team.  Everybody is searching for the quick, easy fix, but it's a process.  There are at least four areas Anderson needs to address for next season:

1) consistent outside shooting
2) guards that can create their own shots
3) more efficient production from the 4
4) guards with lateral quickness to trap better on defense

No one or two player addresses all of those areas.

The_Iceman

Dusty will be a big help for the second unit. It will give us another scoring option outside of Bell. Having both of those guys on the wings with a tall guard like Babb handling the ball and driving the lane would be deadly as a second unit, with Beard, Whitt, and Qualls starting.

Dominicanhog

Dusty will be a valuable piece of the guard puzzle if he can shoot consistently.. he and Bell will fill the role of instant offense and zone buster...

Whitt and I hope Babb, step in and offer good shooting as well.. we could be a good shooting team with lots of weapons in the 1,2 and 3 slots....

Our chance to leap forward in prominence wil depend on the 4/5 position.... if 3 headed monster, Thompson, Moses, Kapita can step forward and man a 4/5 position for 40 minutes a game of production, we have a chance to be very good...

I still think we bring in one more, if not two, recruits... a swing and a big with the big being a juco.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 25, 2015, 08:59:48 am
Dusty will be a valuable piece of the guard puzzle if he can shoot consistently.. he and Bell will fill the role of instant offense and zone buster...

Whitt and I hope Babb, step in and offer good shooting as well.. we could be a good shooting team with lots of weapons in the 1,2 and 3 slots....

Our chance to leap forward in prominence wil depend on the 4/5 position.... if 3 headed monster, Thompson, Moses, Kapita can step forward and man a 4/5 position for 40 minutes a game of production, we have a chance to be very good...

I still think we bring in one more, if not two, recruits... a swing and a big with the big being a juco.

If Portis leaves, we will have 5 guys to fill the 4 and 5 spots: Thompson, Kapita, Kingsley, Miles, and Williams.

husker71

I think some are downplaying the loss of Harris and Madden.  Their toughness was one of the keys to our good season.  Hard to recruit to replace the toughness of 2 seasoned senior players.

The_Iceman

Quote from: husker71 on March 25, 2015, 09:34:48 am
I think some are downplaying the loss of Harris and Madden.  Their toughness was one of the keys to our good season.  Hard to recruit to replace the toughness of 2 seasoned senior players.

Its downplayed because fans can see adequate replacements for those guys. If Portis and/or Qualls leaves, we have no one ready to fill that level of production.

I've said for a year that I think Dusty is a slightly better Ant Bell.  There's a role on this team for that.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2015, 08:33:14 am
Dusty will be a big help for the second unit. It will give us another scoring option outside of Bell. Having both of those guys on the wings with a tall guard like Babb handling the ball and driving the lane would be deadly as a second unit, with Beard, Whitt, and Qualls starting.

Bet you a dollar to the hole in a donut those three guys aren't the starters next year.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: JayBell on March 25, 2015, 08:17:17 am
There's no magic key that unlocks Arkansas' destiny to be a great team.  Everybody is searching for the quick, easy fix, but it's a process.  There are at least four areas Anderson needs to address for next season:

1) consistent outside shooting
2) guards that can create their own shots
3) more efficient production from the 4
4) guards with lateral quickness to trap better on defense

No one or two player addresses all of those areas.

I like #'s 1 and 4.  And I'll give a yes on #3.

But with Bobby Portis in the middle, and Qualls ability to drive the middle, you don't need those kinds of plays from your guards on this team.

You need guys who patiently stand beyond the three waiting for a kick out pass to unleash a deadly accurate three.  That's what Madden could have provided, but he was so focused on trying to imitate Lebron.

This year, when Bell would actually be patient and wait for a shot where he wasn't rushing to jack up a three, he was deadly and the entire team changed because of it.

That's what we need.  Not guards trying to do one on one driving.  Not with BP on the team.

If he leaves, well, then everything has changed.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jackflash

When Mike played is second team of Bell, Watkins, Williams and Moses their much scoring. This where I think Hannah will help.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Karma on March 25, 2015, 10:07:33 am
I've said for a year that I think Dusty is a slightly better Ant Bell.  There's a role on this team for that.

Absolutely.  IMO we're going to need one of those two guys be our off guard.

I've never seen Hannahs play, but we need a catch and shoot guard that the other team must respect or die.

Bell could be a 15 point scorer a game with Bobby on the team IF IF IF IF IF IF IF he will freaking learn to be patient and not shoot the first time the ball hits his hands.

When he takes his time, gets his feet settled and doesn't rush his shot, he is a great shooter.  He's got to learn from his mistakes this year.  MA has got to coach him up to be that player.

If BP and MQ both come back and Bell grows as a player, this team could be elite 8 good IMO.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2015, 09:48:11 am
Its downplayed because fans can see adequate replacements for those guys. If Portis and/or Qualls leaves, we have no one ready to fill that level of production.

True.  This team will have to become a super tough, shut down defensive team to return to the tourney.

But it could be done, depending on how much growth/improvement we see from Beard, Bell, Kingsley among others, and how good Whitt, Capita, and Hannahs are.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2015, 09:48:11 am

The most difficult replacement would the leadership and willingness to do the dirty work that Harris brought to the team.  You might have a player who meets his physical attributes but the intangibles he brought are hard to find.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

lrcentral

Portis withered away in every important game in the SEC tournament and NCAA tournament. If he leaves it will make others step up.

The_Iceman

Quote from: lrcentral on March 25, 2015, 10:52:41 am
Portis withered away in every important game in the SEC tournament and NCAA tournament. If he leaves it will make others step up.

Portis averaged 16.5 points, 13.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 3.0 steals in the NCAA Tournament.

Cresthog

He certainly has a badass Nascar nam.

Hope it shows on the court.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: lrcentral on March 25, 2015, 10:52:41 am

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2015, 10:59:41 am
Portis averaged 16.5 points, 13.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 3.0 steals in the NCAA Tournament.

Wither--to shrivel; fade; decay:

2015 Stats for you,  Ice.  He sure shriveled, faded and decayed.  ???

PPG   RPG   APG
17.5   8.9   1.2
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

ifghog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2015, 10:59:41 am
Plus 1 sir!

rude1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 25, 2015, 10:28:25 am
Absolutely.  IMO we're going to need one of those two guys be our off guard.

I've never seen Hannahs play, but we need a catch and shoot guard that the other team must respect or die.

Bell could be a 15 point scorer a game with Bobby on the team IF IF IF IF IF IF IF he will freaking learn to be patient and not shoot the first time the ball hits his hands.

When he takes his time, gets his feet settled and doesn't rush his shot, he is a great shooter.  He's got to learn from his mistakes this year.  MA has got to coach him up to be that player.

If BP and MQ both come back and Bell grows as a player, this team could be elite 8 good IMO.
I think you nailed the problem with Bell on the head, I think for the most part he takes makable shots for him, it's just he isn't patient and will take the first one he sees when if he would swing the ball or feed it inside to BP he would probably get a much better and less rushed shot on the kick out. Only thing I would add is him learning to use the shot fake, defenses are flying out at him any time he touches the ball, a great time to start using the shot fake and either step inside the arc for the wide open mid-range jumper or let the guy fly by and relocate for the open 3.

Atlhogfan1

March 25, 2015, 01:33:35 pm #23 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:43:43 pm by Atlhogfan1
Withered probably wasn't the right word as it suggests it was more extreme than it was.  But throwing out Portis' NCAAT stat line is almost as misleading.

The last 4 games was his worst stretch of the season.  He had a couple of back to back games that were similar statistically especially in FG% to the NCAAT:  NT(foul trouble) and Iona and Bama and Mizzou.  These games were Fri/Sun and Th/Sat. 

UGa: 1-14 from the field, 2-3 FT's, 12 Reb and 3 turnovers
UK: 3-7 from the field(lowest amount of FGA's all season), 6-10 from the line, 2 reb, 3 turnovers
Wofford: 5-12 from the field, 5-9 FT's, 13 reb, 1 turnover
Bobby had 6 pts until the 13:22 mark in the second half and 8 till the final 5:21.
NC: 5-15 from the field, 7-9 FT's, 14 reb and 4 turnovers
Against NC, he made our first FGA and didn't score again till two FT's with :55 seconds left in the half. 

What these stat lines don't illustrate are the missed layups or missed shots we had seen him make throughout the regular season. 
Bobby shot below 50% 8 times in the regular season and 4 out of the 5 post season games.

He had 3 or more turnovers 6 times in the regular season and 3 of our 5 post season games.  His 11 turnovers over our last 4 games was equaled once in the regular season at the start of conference play when we went 2-2.  Beyond the stats, we know what we saw.

As far as the OP's topic, defense is what has to be figured out as what we played this season was not up to our system's standards.  And the SEC had some not so strong with the ball or offensively skilled (being nice) teams this season.  I'll look at some other categories later.  But this was the fewest steals per game in Coach A's 4 seasons:

2015: 7.694
2014: 8.441
2013: 9.219
2012: 8.281

It isn't going to be as simple as putting Bell and Hannahs together.  Yes, when the Hogs shoot well they are very difficult to beat in spite of the defense sometimes. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

popcornhog

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 24, 2015, 10:29:31 pm
With current signs pointing to Qualls and Portis returning, let's take a look at a kid who could truly be a difference maker in a key role.  It's no secret that one of, if not our biggest problem this season was reliable bench scoring, with Bell being about our only semi-consistent producer off the bench.

While it's debateable at this point who will win the starting job at SG next year, one thing is known, Hannahs could certainly provide a huge spark from beyond the arc in either the starting or bench role.

I'm not sure if this was posted before, but if so, it certainly deserves another look. Highlights from his career night 2014 @West Virginia, a team known for playing a little defense. He scored 25 points, was 7-7 from beyond the arc. Hit some incredibly tough shots and showed off that pure stroke.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/012214aaa.html

What are these current signs?!?! Anything new since the post game interviews?
WPS

rude1

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on March 25, 2015, 11:09:55 am
Wither--to shrivel; fade; decay:

2015 Stats for you,  Ice.  He sure shriveled, faded and decayed.  ???

PPG   RPG   APG
17.5   8.9   1.2

That's one way to look at it, another way is to look at BP shooting % over the last 4 games of the season: 15 of 48 = 31% shooting from a guy who was leading the conference up to that point with around 56%. It was obvious after the big game against Tn. in the SEC tourney and he played a lot of minutes he really struggled shooting the basketball for the rest of season, not nearly as efficient as he had been for most of the season.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rude1 on March 25, 2015, 01:21:44 pm
Only thing I would add is him learning to use the shot fake, defenses are flying out at him any time he touches the ball, a great time to start using the shot fake and either step inside the arc for the wide open mid-range jumper or let the guy fly by and relocate for the open 3.

Man, great point there.  And he's a very good mid range shooter.  If Bell could get coached up in the off season I really think he could be a 15 point a game scorer, with a high percentage in both 3's and 2's.

I said it all year, when Bell is hitting shots, this year's team took a huge step up, to maybe top 15 quality.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2015, 01:33:35 pm
Withered probably wasn't the right word as it suggests it was more extreme than it was.  But throwing out Portis' NCAAT stat line is almost as misleading.

The last 4 games was his worst stretch of the season.  He had a couple of back to back games that were similar statistically especially in FG% to the NCAAT:  NT(foul trouble) and Iona and Bama and Mizzou.  These games were Fri/Sun and Th/Sat. 

UGa: 1-14 from the field, 2-3 FT's, 12 Reb and 3 turnovers
UK: 3-7 from the field(lowest amount of FGA's all season), 6-10 from the line, 2 reb, 3 turnovers
Wofford: 5-12 from the field, 5-9 FT's, 13 reb, 1 turnover
Bobby had 6 pts until the 13:22 mark in the second half and 8 till the final 5:21.
NC: 5-15 from the field, 7-9 FT's, 14 reb and 4 turnovers
Against NC, he made our first FGA and didn't score again till two FT's with :55 seconds left in the half. 

What these stat lines don't illustrate are the missed layups or missed shots we had seen him make throughout the regular season. 
Bobby shot below 50% 8 times in the regular season and 4 out of the 5 post season games.

He had 3 or more turnovers 6 times in the regular season and 3 of our 5 post season games.  His 11 turnovers over our last 4 games was equaled once in the regular season at the start of conference play when we went 2-2.  Beyond the stats, we know what we saw.

As far as the OP's topic, defense is what has to be figured out as what we played this season was not up to our system's standards.  And the SEC had some not so strong with the ball or offensively skilled (being nice) teams this season.  I'll look at some other categories later.  But this was the fewest steals per game in Coach A's 4 seasons:

2015: 7.694
2014: 8.441
2013: 9.219
2012: 8.281

It isn't going to be as simple as putting Bell and Hannahs together.  Yes, when the Hogs shoot well they are very difficult to beat in spite of the defense sometimes.
After opening game against Tennessee, BP let this team down with his performance, however what makes him so endearing is he kept battling especially on the boards. i think the minutes got to him!

NS02

From what I saw in the video, he is a consistent 3-shooter.  He will definitely be in the rotation.  Hannah and Whitt should move AR into another dimension with present roster.

HSVhogfan2

I just hope he can defend something quicker than a traffic cone.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

jdlittle

he was not offered a scholarship coming out of high school, why now?  dont make sense to me.     unless hogs are desperate. 

Corkscrew Johnson

choppedporkextrasauce

every year we must replace someone. Nature of the beast.

sickboy

Quote from: jdlittle on March 25, 2015, 09:38:47 pm
he was not offered a scholarship coming out of high school, why now?  dont make sense to me.     unless hogs are desperate. 

Sound logic. Thank goodness we were desperate enough to take Harris.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: popcornhog on March 25, 2015, 01:42:24 pm
What are these current signs?!?! Anything new since the post game interviews?

There have been a handful of tweets and NBA draft "followers" that have said he plans to return. Also, throughout the season Bobby himself made comments that he would be returning for his JR season. Obviously until April 26th comes and goes, only Bobby knows for sure what he'll do and there is the distinct possibility that even he does not know yet.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 25, 2015, 08:08:50 pm
I just hope he can defend something quicker than a traffic cone.

He wouldn't have to be very quick to be as quick as the starting off guard we just graduated.