Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA/NBA Proposed Draft Change Jan 2016

Started by Thepigdoctor, March 24, 2015, 10:02:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thepigdoctor

SIAP

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/03/proposal_to_move_nba_draft_dec.html

Let the debate start. I'm in favor, this does nothing but help these kids make a truly informed decision and minimize the risk of a decision that sets them on a potential devastating life decision. Time to start treating the players as humans and not just pawns in your big business game.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree, won't hurt my feelings.

I believe we'd see a better product at the collegiate level, with more kids not taking uninformed risks, basically shots in the dark with only a sleezy agent filling their head with dollar signs.

Pigdiana Jones

I agree. These kids see the $$ sign, but they don't understand and are not mature enough yet to understand the difference between barely out of high school vs grown men playing who have been around a long time and have fully matured bodies with years in the weight room and who don't give a crap about you and what you think.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

WizardofhOgZ

As a side note, I was unaware that Ron Higgins had moved to the New Orleans paper after decades writing for the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.

The_Iceman

I like this idea. Give players more time to make their decision. It also always a player to get more information before ruining his college eligibility.

I think they should also allow some players to declare for the draft, but on a probationary status. They don't sign with an agent or get any money. They can go to whatever camps they want and get scouted. If they get drafted in the first round, they have to go pro. If they go in the 2nd round, they have the choice to go back to college, but the NBA team keeps their rights.

I like how in college baseball players have the chance to see who drafts them and what they are offered. That won't work in the NBA for 1st round picks, but it definitely applies for 2nd round and undrafted FA's.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2015, 09:52:38 am
I like this idea. Give players more time to make their decision. It also always a player to get more information before ruining his college eligibility.

I think they should also allow some players to declare for the draft, but on a probationary status. They don't sign with an agent or get any money. They can go to whatever camps they want and get scouted. If they get drafted in the first round, they have to go pro. If they go in the 2nd round, they have the choice to go back to college, but the NBA team keeps their rights.

I like how in college baseball players have the chance to see who drafts them and what they are offered. That won't work in the NBA for 1st round picks, but it definitely applies for 2nd round and undrafted FA's.

I like that idea as well. If you get drafted in the first round, that's mission accomplished for 99% of kids. Sure, you'll have a few here and there that slipped from lottery, but very few are going to complain about going in the first round. At that point, boom you're gone. Otherwise, if you haven't been paid a dime and think you can come back to improve your stock, who is being hurt by that? I think you'd see more teams taking foreign players and seniors in the second round, where they aren't worried about the player they selected deciding to go back to school. Regardless, I'd imagine the vast majority of players picked in the second round would still sign and be happy with being drafted. There'd likely be a couple players each year who decided to come back, but as I stated initially, you're giving these kids an option to return to school, finish their degree, and give themselves a backup plan for the future.

They could even add some restrictions to returning to school after being drafted, like if you decide to return, unless you are a senior the following year, you aren't eligible to re-enter the draft the next season. That would keep kids from turning it into a game following their freshman season, backing out on a team each year until they got the draft position or team they wanted.

It's such a flawed system and the biggest problem is it forces kids, who aren't prepared for such major life decisions, to make a decision that could ultimately ruin their lives. The NCAA is supposed to be there to protect student athletes, but they've lost sight of that responsibility in the name of the almighty dollar. The NBA is purely a business and wasnt established to protect anyone but their owners interests.

onebadrubi

The only downfall I can see to this is recruiting. 

For instance, let's say portis tells Mike he wants to put his name in the hate and try for the NBA, goes the combine and decides he's a 12-20 pick, thinks he can come back and be a top 8 pick.  Now what is mike suppose to do with Portis' position?  Does he recruit and fill it with a warm body from Juco because after May what options are really available?  Does he hold the position and lose out on a scholarship player?  Using the hogs as an example, we have two players that could make this rule hell on recruiting (Qualls and Portis).  That being said, I do think something like this makes it better for the players. 

I still wish they would go with a Baseball idea. 

GuvHog

I agree. I also believe those who are not drafted should be able to retain their college eligibility with no NBA connections and be allowed to enter the next years draft if they so choose.

I agree with Calipari about the "one and done" being a bad thing but I believe they should have to finish their 3rd year of college or the equivalent in age thereof to be draft eligible. Many one and done players, though skilled enough for the NBA, aren't mentally and emotionally mature enough to play at that level.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TheRazorbackGuy

I disagree IceMan... The way Baseball does it is a way teams can cheat the system. Astros failed to sign the first overall pick last year and for some reason they got the second overall pick this season. They got rewarded for not signing the player. Astros basically pocketed the revenue sharings money they get from big market teams. I hate the way baseball does it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 25, 2015, 09:42:41 am
As a side note, I was unaware that Ron Higgins had moved to the New Orleans paper after decades writing for the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.

I always thought he was a good writer.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on March 25, 2015, 02:24:31 pm
I disagree IceMan... The way Baseball does it is a way teams can cheat the system. Astros failed to sign the first overall pick last year and for some reason they got the second overall pick this season. They got rewarded for not signing the player. Astros basically pocketed the revenue sharings money they get from big market teams. I hate the way baseball does it.

It will only apply to second round picks in my proposal. 1st round picks will be required to sign.

kaki

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 25, 2015, 11:34:44 am
The only downfall I can see to this is recruiting. 

For instance, let's say portis tells Mike he wants to put his name in the hate and try for the NBA, goes the combine and decides he's a 12-20 pick, thinks he can come back and be a top 8 pick.  Now what is mike suppose to do with Portis' position?  Does he recruit and fill it with a warm body from Juco because after May what options are really available?  Does he hold the position and lose out on a scholarship player?  Using the hogs as an example, we have two players that could make this rule hell on recruiting (Qualls and Portis).  That being said, I do think something like this makes it better for the players. 

I still wish they would go with a Baseball idea.

This is my same concern, what does the team do, oversign or get caught with a shallow talent pool to recruit from when predicting the kid to come back and they don't?

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: kaki on March 25, 2015, 02:39:48 pm
This is my same concern, what does the team do, oversign or get caught with a shallow talent pool to recruit from when predicting the kid to come back and they don't?

Exactly it puts the schools in a bind in terms of recruiting which is absurd. The whole BBall world shouldn't be centered around the few that can't make a decision. It would hinder recruiting in the spring big time and would surely get some schools in trouble.

booogaga

This does not get rid of the One and Done.
GO HOGS!

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: booogaga on March 25, 2015, 05:30:34 pm
This does not get rid of the One and Done.

And it'll make recruiting impossible in the spring.

lrcentral

Just use the baseball method. Either right out of high school or wait three years. That solves all the issues.

GuvHog

Quote from: lrcentral on March 25, 2015, 08:53:51 pm
Just use the baseball method. Either right out of high school or wait three years. That solves all the issues.

Drop the "right out of high school" part and you'll be correct.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Thepigdoctor

That would be best case scenario, solve the need for any other tweaks to the system, and would provide the best option to all parties.

I don't see it happening though, as the NBA proved once before the do not want to babysit 18-19 year olds fresh out of high school anymore. Given that, I think the best we could hope for in 2017 when the collective bargaining agreement is up for change, would be eliminating one and done, going to a two and done system. Players would have to be two years removed from high school, or had gone overseas to play professionally for a season like current.

That would still be a great fix for the college game, you'd likely have more kids willing to play for the home school, not pressured as highly to seek out the biggest names like UK, Duke, UNC, etc; as they know they'll have two years to work on their games and impress scouts. Additionally, those teams wouldn't have the same ability to steal 4-5 of the top 5 star prospects every season, as they'd have less roster turnover each season, effectively spreading the talent back around. Jan, 2017 could lay the foundation for college basketball to return to glory.

Hawg Red

That essentially guarantees any player with a discernible NBA future will enter the draft out of HS. That will kill NCAA basketball. For anyone that thinks the "one-and-done" rule is hurting college basketball, this model would be so much worse. Most of the best HS talent would never step foot on a college campus.

There needs to be a happy medium here. I'm not sure if that is even possible. Personally, I think the best way is to go back to the old model of letting them declare early whenever they want starting with the graduation of their HS class. They can take their development on a year-to-year basis and not be locked into going to college for 2-3 years when they may only need 1-2 years of college development. And let's not forget that many of the recent greats in the NBA were straight-from-high-school players. We're talking Hall of Fame players. Can't stop kids from flaming out. Making them go to college doesn't stop that because we see players (like B.J. Young) to pro anyway and not make it to the NBA. The truly elite talents shouldn't be punished because of that.

ConHawg

Does anyone else remember one of the early hog games this season when Coach Knight was the color guy (heck might have been last year)?  He went on a tirade about how the NBA is allowing kids to destroy their future and how it was the only sport selfish enough and getting away with it.  I replayed it a couple of times.  Respected him for saying that.  Probably not the first time he has raved about it.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: ConHawg on March 27, 2015, 07:38:51 am
Does anyone else remember one of the early hog games this season when Coach Knight was the color guy (heck might have been last year)?  He went on a tirade about how the NBA is allowing kids to destroy their future and how it was the only sport selfish enough and getting away with it.  I replayed it a couple of times.  Respected him for saying that.  Probably not the first time he has raved about it.

Dayton game. Knight has always hated the one and done.

ConHawg

That was it.  Lots of good points on both sides I guess.  But I think they should have to go at least 2 if not 3 years.  How many 17-19 year old kids have enough sense to think logically about their future when all they can see is dollar signs?  Hell I wouldn't have and I was supposed to be smart.

The sports should be played by kids who truly represent their college.  I can't imagine kids knowing they are playinng for one year and taking these video classes represent anyone but themselves.  They should have time to go to REAL classes and have to get the grades.  And have to keep a minimum gpa for a few years.  Otherwise all we will see are semi-pro teams that just aren't getting paid.  May have a few years of fame before they get hurt and be left with zero opportunities and zero education.  Let's not forget these are supposed to be teams from schools who SPECIALIZE in education (supposedly).

Hawg Red

Quote from: ConHawg on March 27, 2015, 12:59:16 pm
That was it.  Lots of good points on both sides I guess.  But I think they should have to go at least 2 if not 3 years.  How many 17-19 year old kids have enough sense to think logically about their future when all they can see is dollar signs?  Hell I wouldn't have and I was supposed to be smart.

The sports should be played by kids who truly represent their college.  I can't imagine kids knowing they are playinng for one year and taking these video classes represent anyone but themselves.  They should have time to go to REAL classes and have to get the grades.  And have to keep a minimum gpa for a few years.  Otherwise all we will see are semi-pro teams that just aren't getting paid.  May have a few years of fame before they get hurt and be left with zero opportunities and zero education.  Let's not forget these are supposed to be teams from schools who SPECIALIZE in education (supposedly).

You can go back to school at practically any age. It blows my mind that people would expect a young man to waste good money-earning years just so he can get a degree he could really get at any time. Clock is ticking on the body, though. They shouldn't have to go to school if they don't want to. Let them make the decision. There's really no rational argument for forcing kids to go to college for 1-3 years.

And who are any of us to decide when or if someone is mature enough or ready to think about their future? I've beat this drum for a while on this board, but go look at the numbers on the HS kids that went pro. Most of them had long NBA careers and made a lot of money. You're going to have cases like Korleone Young and Robert Swift, but you see stuff like that with kids that went to college, too. There's just no stopping it. But I don't think kids should be punished because a small handful couldn't handle their business.

jgphillips3

I think that you should be able to enter the draft without an agent and then withdraw and still be eligible.  Another thing the NBA could do is make draft entry a privilege.  Meaning, they could say all college players who are interested can put their name in a hat for an opportunity to be offered a draft slot.  The NBA could then give out a maximum of X number of slots to players under 21.  They could determine who gets those slots by canvassing teams and approving the ones most regarded as picks.  Those not chosen would still be eligible to be a free agent later but would KNOW they aren't being drafted and not waste their future hoping to be drafted.

ConHawg

I know it is all just opinions and everybody has one.  But I think they should have to attend at least 3 years in college and be held to the same academic standards as normal college students.  Or let them go straight from high school.  But college is college and all people should have to follow the same rules.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 27, 2015, 01:12:01 pm
You can go back to school at practically any age. It blows my mind that people would expect a young man to waste good money-earning years just so he can get a degree he could really get at any time. Clock is ticking on the body, though. They shouldn't have to go to school if they don't want to. Let them make the decision. There's really no rational argument for forcing kids to go to college for 1-3 years.

People are passionate about it just because they want the college game to be better. In my opinion "making the college game better" shouldn't have any say with how the draft is handled. Put the kids in the best position (and that means giving them the most freedom to make their own choices) and then work on making the college game better in the parameters of what's left.

If I was a college player in any sport I'd want to go pro as soon as I could. Make the money on your second contract. All it will take is a modicum of financial planning to ensure you can finish your degree when your career is over, if needed.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Quote from: ConHawg on March 28, 2015, 02:39:27 pm
I know it is all just opinions and everybody has one.  But I think they should have to attend at least 3 years in college and be held to the same academic standards as normal college students.  Or let them go straight from high school.  But college is college and all people should have to follow the same rules.

Any non-athlete who was offered a job could leave school immediately, regardless of how long they've been enrolled.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.