Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Whitt is a scoring machine!

Started by RyanLR, March 23, 2015, 05:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanLR

RyanLR

I really like this kid's game a lot. A super smooth jumper, great speed, solid finisher at the rim. Can go inside or outside. Pretty good defender too.

Danny J

Yes...he is a difference maker for sure. I have watched several of his games, full games not just highlights, and he is the guard we are missing. He will be starting by the 10th game. Will be too hard to keep him coming off the bench for much longer than that. CMA will give him some time to adjust like he has shown to do in the past. Remember that BJ didn't start on a regular basis till almost halfway through his freshman year and it was clear he was the best player on the court.

regi

Really good looking player, really impressive long arm athlete, kind of guy we need in the Fastest 40. Will play early at UA. His tape pales in comparison to Monk however. Monk's athleticism is insane.

bigred223

Quote from: regi on March 23, 2015, 06:24:05 pm
Really good looking player, really impressive long arm athlete, kind of guy we need in the Fastest 40. Will play early at UA. His tape pales in comparison to Monk however. Monk's athleticism is insane.

Monk has crazy hops. It'd be nice to see them both in the backcourt for the Hogs!

The real Hogules

Those long arms make him an excellent on ball defender.
He's a true combo guard, as he can really drive and dish the basketball close to the basket, or pull up for the short jumper that is money in the bank!
He's a more under control Ron Huery.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: RyanLR on March 23, 2015, 05:41:13 pm
I really like this kid's game a lot. A super smooth jumper, great speed, solid finisher at the rim. Can go inside or outside. Pretty good defender too.

Lets relax.... These are HS players. There are better players in the SEC

870hogfan

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on March 23, 2015, 06:31:19 pm
Lets relax.... These are HS players. There are better players in the SEC

He will be a big time player at Arkansas. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Danny J on March 23, 2015, 05:46:34 pm
Yes...he is a difference maker for sure. I have watched several of his games, full games not just highlights, and he is the guard we are missing. He will be starting by the 10th game. Will be too hard to keep him coming off the bench for much longer than that. CMA will give him some time to adjust like he has shown to do in the past. Remember that BJ didn't start on a regular basis till almost halfway through his freshman year and it was clear he was the best player on the court.

BJ always came off the bench, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm pretty sure BP was one of the first freshman Mike has ever started.

Danny J

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 23, 2015, 09:16:31 pm
BJ always came off the bench, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm pretty sure BP was one of the first freshman Mike has ever started.
BJ started 10 games I think...something like that. I remember it being almost halfway through the season or so it seemed. I do remember towards the end of the season he was starting for sure. I remember it explicitly because it was driving me crazy that he was coming off the bench behind Wade and Scott. Just can't remember it exactly.

3kgthog

Talk about a well-spoken kid. If you haven't seen his interview on YouTube, I suggest you watch it. He definitely says all the right things.

As a player, how nice is it to see a highlight tape with dunks AND shooting? If it happens, Monk and Whitt would be the most explosive guard combo we've ever had. Notice I said explosive, not best. It'd be a quickness and ball hawking fiasco for opponents.

RazorAg

Quote from: Danny J on March 23, 2015, 09:41:54 pm
BJ started 10 games I think...something like that. I remember it being almost halfway through the season or so it seemed. I do remember towards the end of the season he was starting for sure. I remember it explicitly because it was driving me crazy that he was coming off the bench behind Wade and Scott. Just can't remember it exactly.

Started 7 games his freshman year, all but 2 of the starts were in Feb.

Danny J

Quote from: RazorAg on March 23, 2015, 10:30:36 pm
Started 7 games his freshman year, all but 2 of the starts were in Feb.
Yeah....I knew it was something like that but couldn't remember exactly. I think Whitt will come off the bench for the first several games because I think it will be evident he is ready to go from day one. The more time he has with the other starters right out the gate the better we will be come SEC play.

Big Nasty 34

Even if Qualls doesn't come back, mike will probably start beard, bell, and Watkins or babb for a while

Hollywood_HOGan45

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 24, 2015, 06:36:19 am
Even if Qualls doesn't come back, mike will probably start beard, bell, and Watkins or babb for a while

Watkins does not belong in the starting lineup. I know a lot of people like him, but he is best in limited minutes. Unless he develops a consistent jump shot, the more minutes he gets, the more he gets exposed.

Cresthog

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 24, 2015, 08:33:44 am
Watkins does not belong in the starting lineup. I know a lot of people like him, but he is best in limited minutes. Unless he develops a consistent jump shot, the more minutes he gets, the more he gets exposed.

And knowing how hard manny works, I expect him to have a decent shot after this off season

Cresthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 24, 2015, 08:33:44 am

Shoot consistent?

Did he hit a jump shot the entire year? I really don't recall anything but some layups and some floaters in the lane.

Do not see him starting next year unless he makes some serious progress offensively.

RazorAg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 24, 2015, 08:28:06 am
2015 Season Highlights (newer):

I saw those weeks ago when you posted them, and I reposted them a few places.  It was pointed out to me that it says they are his Junior highlights.  I missed that initially.  Do you think that's a video titling mistake or are those really highlights from his junior season?  I'm not real sure.

Thepigdoctor

He's got such a smooth stroke and the best part of it is that high release. He will not have any trouble getting his shot off at the next level, which is something freshmen can struggle with. That alone will give him a great chance to earn more early playing time.

He's going to need to work hard in the weight room, as he's still a little slight of build, but he's definitely got the potential to earn a lot of minutes early on.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorAg on March 24, 2015, 12:24:37 pm
I saw those weeks ago when you posted them, and I reposted them a few places.  It was pointed out to me that it says they are his Junior highlights.  I missed that initially.  Do you think that's a video titling mistake or are those really highlights from his junior season?  I'm not real sure.

huh, I just assumed they were Sr. season considering when they were posted.

Cresthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 24, 2015, 01:14:48 pm
huh, I just assumed they were Sr. season considering when they were posted.

It says JR SEASON HIGHLIGHTS at the beginning?

He's a senior now..

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cresthog on March 24, 2015, 01:17:44 pm
It says JR SEASON HIGHLIGHTS at the beginning?

He's a senior now..

Gotcha. I just saw the upload date on Youtube and figured they were from this season.

Danny J

There were a couple of full games from this year uploaded to youtube just a few weeks ago but I am not sure if they are still there. This game has a mid-range jumper that takes me back a ways. He is going to be really good.

The_Iceman

He is not just a good player, but he is an absolute perfect fit for Mike Anderson's style of play.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: RazorAg on March 24, 2015, 12:24:37 pm

You guys have figured it out. The games played at Mizzou were the championship game last year against Christian Brothers College High School with Jordan Barnett. So these are a year old. He has developed quite a bit since these were shot.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 24, 2015, 11:17:33 am
And knowing how hard manny works, I expect him to have a decent shot after this off season

Watkins will end up being this teams Darrell Hawkins who was an athletic, tough on ball defender without a jumpshot. Inexplicably developed a very consistent jumper in his Sr. year.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

NS02

Quote from: RyanLR on March 23, 2015, 05:38:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwfY1TFhfU

This is against some of the best players in the country.

I watched the video.  He is impressive.  He alone is going to be the answer to scoring from guard position.  This year we had problem to penetrate and score/draw fouls.  He has no problem doing that.  We will be far better team because of him.   

WoodyHog

I think Whitt will be a great fit, but as fans need to realize he will be a freshman and it will take time.  Sometimes we blow a guy up with too much hype before he has ever even played a game.  E.g., he is shooting 29% from 3-point range this year in high school.  Definitely needs to work on that.  Highlight tapes are fun, but they are just that, highlights.

rude1

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 23, 2015, 10:17:31 pm
Talk about a well-spoken kid. If you haven't seen his interview on YouTube, I suggest you watch it. He definitely says all the right things.

As a player, how nice is it to see a highlight tape with dunks AND shooting? If it happens, Monk and Whitt would be the most explosive guard combo we've ever had. Notice I said explosive, not best. It'd be a quickness and ball hawking fiasco for opponents.
I just went and listened to an interview with him. You are absolutely right. Seems to have a really level head and a very good understanding about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIWoRV3d1M

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on March 27, 2015, 05:41:30 pm
I just went and listened to an interview with him. You are absolutely right. Seems to have a really level head and a very good understanding about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIWoRV3d1M
Yep...he mirrors Babb in that regard. Mike is doing a good job of bringing in good quality and smart high IQ basketball players. I still wish Babb had received more minutes.

rude1

Quote from: WoodyHog on March 25, 2015, 12:30:50 pm
I think Whitt will be a great fit, but as fans need to realize he will be a freshman and it will take time.  Sometimes we blow a guy up with too much hype before he has ever even played a game.  E.g., he is shooting 29% from 3-point range this year in high school.  Definitely needs to work on that.  Highlight tapes are fun, but they are just that, highlights.
I have always been a believer in this. This kid is being blown up around here like he is a 5* talent when he is NOT. IN TIME, I think he will be a very good player but not a guy who is going to come in change your fortunes right away. The problem I have is if he predictably stumbles coming out the gate as a freshman when he gets here, there will be many unfairly piling on him calling him a bust.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus