Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Eleven Reasons to Hate the Kentucky Wildcats in the Sweet Sixteen

Started by Robert Shields, March 23, 2015, 12:05:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Eleven Reasons to Hate the Kentucky Wildcats in the Sweet Sixteen

Robert Shields

If you were unfortunate enough to come across an article last week written by "Mrs. Tyler Thompson" of Kentucky Sports Radio that was titled "11 Reasons Why America Should Root for Kentucky," then you now know what a wonderful program they have over in Lexington even beyond the current winning streak.

The article points out that those Kentucky Wildcat players get involved in the community and basically walk the earth doing good works when not playing ball for Coach Cal.

They are such an incredible team, as the following passage illustrates, that we should all be grateful to be able to watch such beauty: "Watching Kentucky play is like watching a ballet of giants... when Willie gets the ball and a clear path to the basket, it feels like the basketball gods slow down time so that everyone can fully appreciate his gift."

My favorite part of the myopic Kentucky viewpoint is that the piece was written like no other schools in America have basketball players that fans think "are a special group" who go visit schools and hospitals and love hanging out together.

Basically, only in Kentucky do you not realize that your list of 11 reasons to love your school applies to nearly every other basketball program in America. I especially like the part about the "nerdy kinesiology major" that never identifies what kinesiology is – as if that's the major that all the nerds gravitate toward.

(Note: Kinesiology is physical education and popular course of study for scholarship athletes in basketball and football. It is actually the last place on campus you would expect to find Sheldon V. Nerdster.)

So as a favor to America in an effort to counterbalance this absurd list, here are my 11 reasons to be against Kentucky now that this special group that is "not identified by one-and-dones," according to the article, has advanced to the sweet sixteen.

1) If you're pulling for Kentucky, it's like pulling for the bully at the school when he is stealing from the younger kids. You want to be able to cheer when the David slugs the Goliath in the mouth and knocks him down. It's memories like this that have made the NCAA tournament so great, and it's time to make a new memory involving Kentucky getting beat by a last-second halfcourt shot.

2) You should pull against Kentucky because Ashley Judd is for them. Who brings their dog to an NCAA tournament game? Ashley Judd does. Who kisses Dick Vitale? Ashley Judd does. She is quickly becoming the Kim Kardashian of the NCAA basketball world. Plus she badmouthed the Razorbacks saying that they played dirty. What? Kentucky has taken playing dirty to new heights on and off the court.

3) You should pull against Kentucky because they are emblematic of what is wrong with college basketball. The number of players who go to Kentucky and play a year or two and then leave is the reason college basketball is not as fun as it used to be and as a bonus is damaging the NBA. Kentucky is not just part of the problem – it is the problem.

4) If you have ever met a Kentucky fan, then you know why you should hate them. Oh for the days when Nolan Richardson used to walk into Rupp Arena and shut them up.

5) If Kentucky wins, it will just perpetuate the problem of John Calipari continuing to be rewarded and lavished with accolades after leaving a wake of destruction at every college program he's ever headed in the past.

6) The only good thing to come out of Kentucky is bourbon and even that is debatable.

7) It's fun to see streaks end. You never hear anyone say, "it's a shame that Bill Walton team didn't beat Notre Dame and keep winning." Or, in football, "It would have been nice for Florida State to have beaten Oregon in the college football playoff and just keep winning." It's time for this streak to end in glorious fashion.

8) You can't respect an SEC school that has forsaken football and only worries about basketball. Why Kentucky wasn't jettisoned to Conference USA long ago is beyond me.

9) Kentucky is the new Duke. Not only should America not be jumping on the bandwagon to root for them, but websites should be popping up solely dedicated to hating this school that sold its soul in hiring Calipari. He is one motorcycle ride away from scandal.

10) "When they called me, believe me, I would have crawled all the way to Lexington." Never forget.

11) You never want to have to look back in life and think, I pulled for Kentucky.

Tweet your #12threason why we should all hate Kentucky to lose to @robert1shields.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ricepig

The_Iceman

phadedhawg

Great post! 

I'm totally down with anybody who writes something slamming Kentucky. 

+1 for mentioning the Judd dog.

Inhogswetrust

Good grief Robert.............even when you DO miraculously write something most people would like you mess it up..............ONLY 11 reasons? Most can think of at least three dozen!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ragnar Hogbrok

If I had read the OP, I would disagree just to disagree. But since I didn't read it, I cannot opine.

By the by, just who  in the heck is Robert Shields?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

MountieDawg

SEC!

ricepig

zane

RIP LSUfan

Hoggish1

Nice job, Robert.  I am looking forward to seeing them choke vs. WV like they did when John Wall was there.  It would be very sweet to see it again!

Robert Shields

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 23, 2015, 05:23:19 pm
Nice job, Robert.  I am looking forward to seeing them choke vs. WV like they did when John Wall was there.  It would be very sweet to see it again!

West Virginia could pose some problems for them, but more than likely they get hammered.

The_Iceman

we did just fine over here in Jump Ball without these posts.

ronmahony

I pulled for Kentucky last year, mostly because we beat them twice. Every game they won made us look better. They are different this year, now I am pulling for anybody they play. They just seem dirtier this year.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

HogWild09

Well, ya know, that's just, like, your opinion, man..

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Ham Sandwich

NS02

I enjoyed reading your article.  I can't wait to see someone knock them off. 

MountieDawg

Quote from: NS02 on March 25, 2015, 07:18:20 pm
I enjoyed reading your article.  I can't wait to see someone knock them off. 

You may have to wait a year.
SEC!

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

UKChamps

So, so salty.  LOL.

Quote from: Robert Shields on March 23, 2015, 12:05:00 pm
Eleven Reasons to Hate the Kentucky Wildcats in the Sweet Sixteen

Robert Shields

If you were unfortunate enough to come across an article last week written by "Mrs. Tyler Thompson" of Kentucky Sports Radio that was titled "11 Reasons Why America Should Root for Kentucky," then you now know what a wonderful program they have over in Lexington even beyond the current winning streak.

The article points out that those Kentucky Wildcat players get involved in the community and basically walk the earth doing good works when not playing ball for Coach Cal.

They are such an incredible team, as the following passage illustrates, that we should all be grateful to be able to watch such beauty: "Watching Kentucky play is like watching a ballet of giants... when Willie gets the ball and a clear path to the basket, it feels like the basketball gods slow down time so that everyone can fully appreciate his gift."

My favorite part of the myopic Kentucky viewpoint is that the piece was written like no other schools in America have basketball players that fans think "are a special group" who go visit schools and hospitals and love hanging out together.

Basically, only in Kentucky do you not realize that your list of 11 reasons to love your school applies to nearly every other basketball program in America. I especially like the part about the "nerdy kinesiology major" that never identifies what kinesiology is – as if that's the major that all the nerds gravitate toward.

(Note: Kinesiology is physical education and popular course of study for scholarship athletes in basketball and football. It is actually the last place on campus you would expect to find Sheldon V. Nerdster.)

So as a favor to America in an effort to counterbalance this absurd list, here are my 11 reasons to be against Kentucky now that this special group that is "not identified by one-and-dones," according to the article, has advanced to the sweet sixteen.

1) If you're pulling for Kentucky, it's like pulling for the bully at the school when he is stealing from the younger kids. You want to be able to cheer when the David slugs the Goliath in the mouth and knocks him down. It's memories like this that have made the NCAA tournament so great, and it's time to make a new memory involving Kentucky getting beat by a last-second halfcourt shot.

2) You should pull against Kentucky because Ashley Judd is for them. Who brings their dog to an NCAA tournament game? Ashley Judd does. Who kisses Dick Vitale? Ashley Judd does. She is quickly becoming the Kim Kardashian of the NCAA basketball world. Plus she badmouthed the Razorbacks saying that they played dirty. What? Kentucky has taken playing dirty to new heights on and off the court.

3) You should pull against Kentucky because they are emblematic of what is wrong with college basketball. The number of players who go to Kentucky and play a year or two and then leave is the reason college basketball is not as fun as it used to be and as a bonus is damaging the NBA. Kentucky is not just part of the problem – it is the problem.

4) If you have ever met a Kentucky fan, then you know why you should hate them. Oh for the days when Nolan Richardson used to walk into Rupp Arena and shut them up.

5) If Kentucky wins, it will just perpetuate the problem of John Calipari continuing to be rewarded and lavished with accolades after leaving a wake of destruction at every college program he's ever headed in the past.

6) The only good thing to come out of Kentucky is bourbon and even that is debatable.

7) It's fun to see streaks end. You never hear anyone say, "it's a shame that Bill Walton team didn't beat Notre Dame and keep winning." Or, in football, "It would have been nice for Florida State to have beaten Oregon in the college football playoff and just keep winning." It's time for this streak to end in glorious fashion.

8) You can't respect an SEC school that has forsaken football and only worries about basketball. Why Kentucky wasn't jettisoned to Conference USA long ago is beyond me.

9) Kentucky is the new Duke. Not only should America not be jumping on the bandwagon to root for them, but websites should be popping up solely dedicated to hating this school that sold its soul in hiring Calipari. He is one motorcycle ride away from scandal.

10) "When they called me, believe me, I would have crawled all the way to Lexington." Never forget.

11) You never want to have to look back in life and think, I pulled for Kentucky.

Tweet your #12threason why we should all hate Kentucky to lose to @robert1shields.

BayofPigs

Westcoasthog

Calapari is a crook, pays his players to play for Kentucky,  pass the courses
taken by a computer, also the teacher by their computer is giving them the answers. Calapari when at UMASS and MEMPHIS got put on probation, had to
void out their championships and banners and were put on PROBATION. THIS WILL HAPPEN AT KENTUCKY THE NCAA WILL PUT KENTUCKY ON PROBATION AND THE CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS UNDER CALAPARI WILL BE VOID, THE BANNERS WILL COME DOWN!

UKChamps

Quote from: Westcoasthog on March 26, 2015, 03:22:19 am
   Calapari is a crook, pays his players to play for Kentucky,  pass the courses
taken by a computer, also the teacher by their computer is giving them the answers. Calapari when at UMASS and MEMPHIS got put on probation, had to
void out their championships and banners and were put on PROBATION. THIS WILL HAPPEN AT KENTUCKY THE NCAA WILL PUT KENTUCKY ON PROBATION AND THE CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS UNDER CALAPARI WILL BE VOID, THE BANNERS WILL COME DOWN!

Porkem

"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

GatorHog

Thanks, Rob.  11 reasons to hate 'em, and 1 massive reason to cheer for them.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Calling All Hogs

Hard to cheer for your SEC brethren when they have the crazy girlfriend Ashley.

Tusks

I hate fricken KY jelly.  They should be in the ohio valley conference.

AYFKM, the players don't even go to class.  WTH, are you kidding me.  They will cause too much of a commotion ? 

So they've set up a big arse room with computers and internet access so they can attend class.  That's rich.  I wonder how much it pays to sit in front of a computer and take the test for players.  Probably one of the higher paying jobs in the state.

If you go to college on the schools dime then you damn well should go to a fricken classroom.

I hate KY.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

cypert2

Great article, Robert.  The posters with their little tl;dr and lol didn't reads might try actually reading the article.  Probably take less time than finding their "cute" little gifs. Guess they need something to pass the time during middle school recess.
Swinging on the two and the four.

zane

Quote from: cypert2 on March 26, 2015, 04:47:20 pm
Great article, Robert.  The posters with their little tl;dr and lol didn't reads might try actually reading the article.  Probably take less time than finding their "cute" little gifs. Guess they need something to pass the time during middle school recess.

RIP LSUfan

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

HogWild09

Quote from: cypert2 on March 26, 2015, 04:47:20 pm

Lol wut?
Well, ya know, that's just, like, your opinion, man..

Chic-Hog-Oh

Eleven Reasons to Like Robert Shields' Articles:

#1: His writing is actually improving. Seriously. Go back to the early days. The fact that it could have only gotten better is beside the point.

Number 2: It's too easy to do something inappropriate here.

#'s 3-9: There are no #'s 3-9.

#10: Even the most Shields-defending, curmudgeonly Hogvillians have to admit to themselves that they giggle-snort under their breath at the subsequent, hilarious "Did Not Read!" gifs.

#11: "This one goes to eleven."