Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ted Kapita

Started by GrizzlyRider07, February 12, 2015, 06:10:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

la20688

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 12, 2015, 06:50:04 pm
Mike is not done yet. if Portis leaves,look for Mike to bring in another big time player.
Exactly! People freaking out in the last week, saying MA isn't getting it done on the recruiting front because he had only signed one player need to get a  grip. We currently have on,y two scholarships coming available, for sure at this moment. I'm pretty sure MA knows there is a possibility that we may lose somebody else. Relax..enjoy the season!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 12, 2015, 10:14:22 pm
Thats sort of ridiculous. sorry...

guys that can win you championships don't care about practice facilities... lol.

Guys that win you championships are the ones convinced that a school can make them a pro faster and better are the winners.

The meat and salt of a team select a school about tradition and 'practice facilities'.
Look I'm sure about a million of you will be pissed because I stated the truth... I don't really care. Its the truth.
Us old school guys just roll our eyes when we hear 'practice facility'. We're talkin' about practice, man. Practice.

But put it this way. It will not hurt a thing, and it might help a lot with some kids. Should it? No. But all kids today don't think old school. They're kinda looking for stuff like that. So even though I abhor the concept, I'm glad we'll have it because it will do nothing but help.

forrest city joe

Quote from: la20688 on February 12, 2015, 11:15:11 pm
Exactly! People freaking out in the last week, saying MA isn't getting it done on the recruiting front because he had only signed one player need to get a  grip. We currently have on,y two scholarships coming available, for sure at this moment. I'm pretty sure MA knows there is a possibility that we may lose somebody else. Relax..enjoy the season!
+1000. some people just won't let themselves be happy. i am enjoying the hell out of this season. im not worried about next year.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: jcpack on February 12, 2015, 10:46:02 pm
Little Oriental guy at subway asked, "what kind of bread ooh yike?" I told him kapita. He just looked at me funny, grabbed a piece of flat bread,  and said, "ooh yike it toasted?"
Big get! WPS!!!

That is so wong.  :D
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

k.c.hawg

It's beginning to look like the early 90's again with the SEC having 6 teams with Top 25 recruiting classes, 7 in the Top 30. It could just be cycling back around, it could be the exposure of the SEC Network, it could be new basketball facilities or a combination of all. Good thing is, it is easier for the Hogs to recruit when the league is good. Great pick-up for the Hogs!!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Pork Twain

Recruiting was my biggest worry when we hired MA, because he has never been known to sign great classes.  Looking like that is not much of a worry.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rzrbk4life

Great pickup! Welcome to the family Mr Kapita! Go Hogs!!
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Scott7703

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 12, 2015, 06:50:04 pm
Mike is not done yet. if Portis leaves,look for Mike to bring in another big time player.

Who else is available Joe? If we could somehow get K Allen that would be huge.

redleg

Does anyone have any idea who else Anderson & Co are still recruiting, and who Arkansas would have a realistic chance of signing, along with Kapita and Whitt?
I don't see Kevaughn Allen flipping to Arkansas, and I'm not even sure how hard Anderson is recruiting him anymore, either.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

latrops

Quote from: Danny J on February 12, 2015, 10:19:32 pm
Disagree....having a practice facility, especially like the one we are building, is a huge selling point and both Mickey and Jones stated that it was part of the reason they didn't choose Arkansas.

Nice facilities are a factor, though I think they are a relatively small one, in spite of what some recruits may have said.  Put Calipari here and he'd still be getting top recruits.  Top recruiters are good salesmen that are able to foster relationships with the right people.  I think the main reason Arkansas hasn't landed some players we probably should have is because we just haven't been very good for almost 20 years.  Joe Johnson is the only star player we've sent to the NBA since the mid 90s.  We are on a 7 year NCAAT drought.  Arkansas, prior to this season, has been a bit of a tough sell, even to top instate kids.  Hopefully that changes over the next few years as we have more team success, send a few kids to the NBA, and upgrade the facilities.  Getting a 4 star guy like Kapita out of Florida is definitely a good sign.

jbell96

Quote from: GatorHog on February 12, 2015, 06:46:44 pm
Is committed the same as 'signed?'  How does that work?  Why doesn't ESPN Recruiting Nation have Ark as offering Kapita, they need to get it together.

Unlike college football, rarely, if ever, does a recruit flip after committing.

The_Iceman

Scout:
http://arkansas.scout.com/topic/players?team=%22Arkansas%22&minimumInterest=%22SoftVerbal%22&category=%22Basketball%20Recruiting%22&league=%22HS%22&classYear=2015&type=players&start=0

ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2015

24/7:
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/Commits

Rivals:
https://rivals.yahoo.com/byu/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2015/arkansas-74;_ylt=AvM.4LkDOKThKp1WQtEDfI_lrJB4

redleg

I think I may have answered my own question.
After looking over the four big recruiting services, it looks like the two players that Arkansas may still be actively recruiting are:
4* power forward Melvin Frazier (6'7" 205 lbs.) of Marrero, LA., and.....
3* center John Carlos Reyes (6'10" 225 lbs.) of LaGrange, GA.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Danny J on February 12, 2015, 10:19:32 pm
Disagree....having a practice facility, especially like the one we are building, is a huge selling point and both Mickey and Jones stated that it was part of the reason they didn't choose Arkansas.
Not trolling but do you have a link to that?  I do not recall anyone every saying they were not going to University X, because there was no practice facility.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

The_Iceman

Quote from: redleg on February 13, 2015, 08:37:47 am
I think I may have answered my own question.
After looking over the four big recruiting services, it looks like the two players that Arkansas may still be actively recruiting are:
4* power forward Melvin Frazier (6'7" 205 lbs.) of Marrero, LA., and.....
3* center John Carlos Reyes (6'10" 225 lbs.) of LaGrange, GA.

While I think it would be nice to add another player in this class, I don't think it is a big necessity. We could stop right now, and be fine for the 2015-16 season:

PG: Beard / Babb or Durham
SG: Bell / Whitt / Hannahs
SF: Qualls / Watkins
PF: Williams / Kapita / Miles
C: Kingsley / Thompson

With Kapita's versatility, he could back up either Jacorey or Kingsley, depending on which one of Thompson or Miles seems more ready to play next year at their spot.

Cresthog

Offers from Missouri, Florida, Memphis, Oregon, Okie State,  Texas and Kansas.

That is big time right there.

latrops

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2015, 08:44:00 am
Not trolling but do you have a link to that?  I do not recall anyone every saying they were not going to University X, because there was no practice facility.

Do recruits ever say why they didn't go to a certain college?  Usually they reference relationships and tradition and blah blah blah as the reasons for choosing the school they pick.  Seldom do they say much about the schools they passed on, and even less frequently do they say anything negative about those schools.

The_Iceman

New Jimmy Whitt video: SIAP

Cresthog

^ if people were doubting this dude. DAYUM that vid is LEGIT.

What a stroke and all around game it looks like he has. Cannot wait to see how we look when he gets here.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 13, 2015, 08:03:05 am
Who else is available Joe? If we could somehow get K Allen that would be huge.
Melvin Frazier if Portis leaves.people say Miss. State. but i have not given up on him yet. he is a another 4 star player.

Danny J

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2015, 08:44:00 am
No....they didn't say specifically I am not choosing Arkansas because of their lack of facility. They said they chose where they chose because of their facilities namely practice facilities. Since we didn't have one it was easy to put two and two together. I am almost positive that one of those guys specifically stated not having a practice facility took us out of the running but I can't remember who. It was either Biddy or RD who passed along that info.

The_Iceman

February 13, 2015, 10:32:22 am #124 Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:13:39 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: forrest city joe on February 13, 2015, 10:25:36 am
Melvin Frazier if Portis leaves.people say Miss. State. but i have not given up on him yet. he is a another 4 star player.

Here is a dunk from Frazier last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhMfRs_H6qA

Other video of Frazier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3DrAWU7vzo

I'm not sure what our status is with him, but with Mike, recruiting is kept pretty secret. Frazier is more of a replacement for Qualls. I wonder if Mike is going to accept another 2015 commit if we only lose Madden, Harris, and Portis.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Danny J on February 13, 2015, 10:28:55 am
No....they didn't say specifically I am not choosing Arkansas because of their lack of facility. They said they chose where they chose because of their facilities namely practice facilities. Since we didn't have one it was easy to put two and two together. I am almost positive that one of those guys specifically stated not having a practice facility took us out of the running but I can't remember who. It was either Biddy or RD who passed along that info.
I am not buying that we have ever lost a recruit due to the lack of a practice facility.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2015, 10:50:16 am
I am not buying that we have ever lost a recruit due to the lack of a practice facility.

Danny J is right, there was one recruit that did come out and say us not having a practice facility was one factor in him not coming here.

That's just one that is documented. I'm sure other recruits were impressed with the facilities at other places and that was a factor in them choosing another place to go.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2015, 10:50:16 am

Then you're choosing to ignore facts.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Pork Twain

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on February 13, 2015, 10:52:32 am
Then you're choosing to ignore facts.
Sorry but I have not seen any facts concerning this.  I think a practice facility can only help but if you have a serious shot at a player, I doubt you lose them over this.  If you do, I would say it would be very rare.  Very likely there are other factors and that is just what they are throwing out there.  There is much more to having upper-level facilities than just a practice facility.  The Bud was great when it was built but others have passed it by.

I am happy we are getting a practice facility and think it can only be a plus, I am just not sold on this argument.

Cresthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 13, 2015, 10:32:22 am
Here is a dunk from Frazier last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhMfRs_H6qA

Other video of Frazier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3DrAWU7vzo

I'm not sure what our status is with him, but with Mike, recruiting is kept pretty secret. Frazier is more of a replacement for Qualls. I wonder if Mike is going to accept another 2015 commit if we only lose Madden, Harris, and Qualls.

You're saying we're more likely to lose Qualls than Portis?

What is the deal with people actually thinking Portis stays? It's like <10% chance.

Cresthog

How many years does Kapita have 3 or 4?

870hogfan

Quote from: Cresthog on February 13, 2015, 11:08:16 am
How many years does Kapita have 3 or 4?

I would say 4. I think he is in High school.

Pork Twain

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cresthog on February 13, 2015, 11:07:26 am

What is the deal with people actually thinking Portis stays? It's like <10% chance.

My bad, meant Portis not Qualls.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Cresthog on February 13, 2015, 11:07:26 am

I 100% expect this to be a repeat of Big Nasty and Scotty.  Both will be gone, one should have stayed (Qualls)

Breems

Ted doesn't look extremely quick/athletic in the videos, but he does look strong. We could use some of that.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

VirginiaHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2015, 11:03:43 am
Sorry but I have not seen any facts concerning this.  I think a practice facility can only help but if you have a serious shot at a player, I doubt you lose them over this.  If you do, I would say it would be very rare.  Very likely there are other factors and that is just what they are throwing out there.  There is much more to having upper-level facilities than just a practice facility.  The Bud was great when it was built but others have passed it by.

I am happy we are getting a practice facility and think it can only be a plus, I am just not sold on this argument.
Kids def are influenced by facilities. Or lack there of.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on February 13, 2015, 11:22:00 am
Ted doesn't look extremely quick/athletic in the videos, but he does look strong. We could use some of that.

Pros:
-Athletic! (I don't know what you were watching)
-Decent shot for his position
-Defensive presence

Cons:
-Back to the basket moves
-Quickness off the dribble
-Can he be a go-to man?

Cresthog

Quote from: 870hogfan on February 13, 2015, 11:12:57 am
I would say 4. I think he is in High school.

Awesome. Sorry was confused with the JUCO guy that had 3 to play for some reason? Was it Jackson? Are we on him still too or was it between these two?

When would Kapita sign? April?

Pork Twain

Quote from: VirginiaHog on February 13, 2015, 11:25:03 am
Kids def are influenced by facilities. Or lack there of.
Kids are influenced by everything that catches their eye or attention for any period of time.  That does not mean it will cause them to overlook a school based on one aspect alone.

Foshodo

I'm going to be honest... i havent paid this kid a ton of attention because i didnt anticipate getting him...I love the way he plays from watching video. and the shoulders are just ridiculous...

all this time, i've figured Whitt to be the star here to look it up and see Kapita is actually rated higher of the two?

very nice.

CattleCorn

Quote from: Foshodo on February 13, 2015, 11:33:31 am
I'm going to be honest... i havent paid this kid a ton of attention because i didnt anticipate getting him...I love the way he plays from watching video. and the shoulders are just ridiculous...

all this time, i've figured Whitt to be the star here to look it up and see Kapita is actually rated higher of the two?

very nice.

yup!   :razorback:

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 13, 2015, 10:52:30 am
Danny J is right, there was one recruit that did come out and say us not having a practice facility was one factor in him not coming here.

That's just one that is documented. I'm sure other recruits were impressed with the facilities at other places and that was a factor in them choosing another place to go.
Correct.....I am not even asking people to take my word for it but call into "Game on" and ask RD or call into DTS and ask Biddy. It is a factor no question. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on February 13, 2015, 12:48:56 pm
Correct.....I am not even asking people to take my word for it but call into "Game on" and ask RD or call into DTS and ask Biddy. It is a factor no question. 

I once had the option of listening to a rusty nail being dragged across a chalkboard or listening to DTS. I picked the nail.

Danny J

Here ya go folks....

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/doc-harper-we-talkin-bout-practice-man-practice-facilit-man-arkansas-razorback-basketball/

Direct snipet from article:

The Arkansas Razorback basketball program absolutely, positively, desperately, urgently, uncategorically and unequivocally needs a practice facility.
Although many people have known this for some time, the topic was re-energized last week when Jeff Long went on the radio and suggested Arkansas' lack of a facility may be directly to blame for a recruit spurning the Razorbacks in favor of another program.
In the last month, Arkansas native Jamal Jones chose Texas A&M over Arkansas, and Rutgers transfer Jerome Seagears chose Auburn. Both players made their decisions within days after official visits to Arkansas. That's a bad look.

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 13, 2015, 11:25:15 am
Pros:
-Athletic! (I don't know what you were watching)
-Decent shot for his position
-Defensive presence

Cons:
-Back to the basket moves
-Quickness off the dribble
-Can he be a go-to man?

I guess quickness is what I was getting at. He doesn't look extremely quick compared to most players we bring in.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on February 13, 2015, 01:10:19 pm
I guess quickness is what I was getting at. He doesn't look extremely quick compared to most players we bring in.

At 6'8", 235lb, I don't see him playing the Top of the press like Jacorey and Alandise. So I wonder if he will play more 5 for us. Either than, or we will not run that kind of press when he is out there, maybe go more zone press or just full court man.

ArmyOfnobunaga

I had not seen that video yet. Wow. Thanks for the post
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Mick Hogger

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 13, 2015, 11:16:22 am
I 100% expect this to be a repeat of Big Nasty and Scotty.  Both will be gone, one should have stayed (Qualls)

Fortunately, Thurman is around to get in his ear and tell him how it is and not what any potential agents might be whispering.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

CallThoseHawgs

Quote from: imtad16 on February 12, 2015, 08:26:11 pm

WPS

He is going to be tough in MA's system.

This article references a hip injury. Does anyone know anything about it?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/12318288/ted-kapita-commits-arkansas-razorbacks
quote:
Players emerge in July, but will any prospect in the 2015 class emerge to the heights that Ted Kapita will rise?

With a build and look eerily similar to top 10 prospect Ivan Rabb, Kapita made an enormous impression at the Lebron James Skills Academy.

The 6-8.5, 210-pound power forward form Florida who is headed to Huntington (W.V.) Prep, is now a five-star prospect according to 247Sports.

That was before he had his injury from 247. :razorback: