Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogville Football Experience Poll

Started by Ragnar Hogbrok, October 03, 2015, 12:58:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which level was the highest at which you played football?  Please select the BEST answer.

NFL
14 (6.1%)
Semi-Pro (Arena, CFL, Europe, XFL, etc)
3 (1.3%)
Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS)
6 (2.6%)
Football Championship Subdivision (FCS)
5 (2.2%)
Smaller College Division (Division II and III)
24 (10.5%)
High School
100 (43.7%)
Junior High
28 (12.2%)
Younger than Junior High
9 (3.9%)
Never Played
29 (12.7%)
Coached Only (High School and below)
4 (1.7%)
Coached Only (Collegiate Level and Above)
1 (0.4%)
Powder Puff
6 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Voting closed: October 06, 2015, 12:58:22 pm

Ragnar Hogbrok

Just curious as of the experience level of Hogville posters.  It could make for some serious perspective with the comments on the current season.

This poll has no agenda other than to publicize the football experience level of Hogville posters.  Please vote and feel free to comment with your experience level/school/organization so we can know who has more "football knowledge" as a result of experience.

As for me, I played up to the high school level.  That's it.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Two NFL guys?  Awesome, if you're being serious.  I understand if you want to remain anonymous, but if you don't, please let us know who you are.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

birmingHAMette

Go Hogs

Ragnar Hogbrok

elksnort

Experience is no doubt important, but some experienced players are not terribly bright or adequate at coaching

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: elksnort on October 03, 2015, 01:13:20 pm
Experience is no doubt important, but some experienced players are not terribly bright or adequate at coaching

Very true.  This is only an experience poll and is not necessarily indicative of overall football intelligence, just football IQ as a result of experience.  It has no bearing whatsoever except to let people know the experience level of Hogville posters (as long as everyone is being honest).

elksnort

Quote from: The Chief on October 03, 2015, 01:15:30 pm
Very true.  This is only an experience poll and is not necessarily indicative of overall football intelligence, just football IQ as a result of experience.  It has no bearing whatsoever except to let people know the experience level of Hogville posters (as long as everyone is being honest).
I'm with you, I would like to hear from the NFL guys thiugh

yraciv

Never played, well do intramural s count?  Still feel i have watched more than 95% of people my age and understand enough about strategy and formations that my opinion counts.   Couldn't tell you the first thing about conditioning, practice, and strength training.

BPsTheMan

oldbear, you can't count yourself as FCS just because UCA is there now

:P

Ragnar Hogbrok

Who would have thought that, so far, "NFL" is second and "Never Played" is third.  High school is first, but that's not really a surprise.

So far, no "Coached Only."

Ragnar Hogbrok

Seven NFL'ers.  Awesome.  I'm assuming former Hogs that went pro.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Chief on October 03, 2015, 12:58:22 pm
Just curious as of the experience level of Hogville posters.  It could make for some serious perspective with the comments on the current season.

This poll has no agenda other than to publicize the football experience level of Hogville posters.  Please vote and feel free to comment with your experience level/school/organization so we can know who has more "football knowledge" as a result of experience.

As for me, I played up to the high school level.  That's it.

There should probably be more than one choice, as in played and coached.
Go Hogs Go!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 03, 2015, 01:58:42 pm
There should probably be more than one choice, as in played and coached.

True, I was trying to keep this from being a 100 choice poll.  I'll try to add something to that effect.

It's added, but it might be confounding to the poll since an NFL'er could have played, yet coached high school.  I'd have to add a selection specifically for that and each other possible combination.

EDIT:

I see what you are saying.  I'll see if I can fix it.

EDIT 2:

It seems I can't modify the poll allowing more than one selection.  I modified the question asking people to select the BEST answer.  It's imperfect, I know.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PossumFan

Never played but worked as a sports writer, which I guess makes me DOUBLY unqualified to comment on anything. :-)

spiritof92

Only 9 NFLers?  Figured it would be at 100 by now.

AloRaptor

Ragnar Hogbrok

Be sure and chime in with your experience before the poll closes.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Chief on October 03, 2015, 01:46:45 pm
Seven NFL'ers.  Awesome.  I'm assuming former Hogs that went pro.

Or 7 liars..............
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogarusa

I like how trusting you are that people selecting the NFL option are being honest.  That's sweet
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

DiamondHogFan

jgphillips3

Hey, where is city league, semi-pro, flag football and, most importantly, fantasy football only?

jgphillips3

Bowfishinghogfan

Does anyone else feel that the reason why most of the talent evaluations are off because those doing the recruiting portion for the media never played. There is a hige difference in athleticism, coordination and having that dog to you. You can't convince me that people who didn't play football but any sports can grasp those things without playing. Just because a kid looks the part, doesn't mean he will be the part. I think this is the biggest flaw in AR media. Everyone we get our info from(Wally, Dudley, Bo, Richard, Mike, Schapp, Girt, Clay, and I'm sure I left out some never played but give us in depth scrimmage analyst and reviews on players. This year and smiles year proved this to be true. They sold us a bill of good about the players.
For those saying we have been left with the cubard being so bare when some coaches took over, why didn't they let us know these players weren't up to speed.

jdelo77

I played from time I was 8 until 16 ! I kept that bench so warm ...

SoCal Hog

It might be informative to allow more than one choice. For example, I played high school ball and later coached it for 7 years. There are likely quite a few others could have clicked on more than one button.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

Albert Einswine

Played through high school, received interest from several of the old AIC schools but I had no desire to go to college having just escaped high school which I loathed. Enlisted in the Air Force instead. I still have the recruiting letters stashed away somewhere.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Jackrabbit Hog

FWIW, you might add a choice for being an official.  I don't know if we have any NFL officials on the board (Walt?), or any college officials (Hubert?  Penn?), but I do know that there are a few high school officials along with myself who offer our opinions from time to time.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 05, 2015, 03:30:11 pm
I like how trusting you are that people selecting the NFL option are being honest.  That's sweet

Are there not at least 7 Hogs that went to the NFL and at least played one season who might post here? 

This poll is taken with a grain of salt.  If you read my second post, I even caveat the NFL guys saying "if they're being serious."

That's sweet, huh?  Really.  If you knew me, you wouldn't say that to me.  I'm probably the most realistic, intense person you've ever met.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: SoCal Hog on October 05, 2015, 03:45:37 pm
It might be informative to allow more than one choice. For example, I played high school ball and later coached it for 7 years. There are likely quite a few others could have clicked on more than one button.

This was addressed earlier in the comments.  Please select the "best" answer.  I couldn't edit the poll to allow more than one choice.

jdelo77

I bet half these guys think they can run a 4.5  40 too !

Albert Einswine

Quote from: jdelo77 on October 05, 2015, 08:15:18 pm

I was a solid 5.1 guy 32 years ago, lol
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Razor1997

No option for backyard / sandlot football?  :-\

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: jdelo77 on October 05, 2015, 08:15:18 pm

I know a guy from Cedarville in his 40s who claimed he could run a 4.2 40 in high school.  I asked why he didn't play in the NFL.  No answer.  Obviously an embellishment.  He may have ran a 4.2 20.

mhsbc59

Belhaven College now Belhaven University 4 year letterman.  Then i was a high school coach for 7 years. Was and OL in high school and college. Ended up a D coordinator as a high school.  Come to find out most high school head coaches are a lot ole Houston Nutt love to call then own Plays.  Fastest way to move up the coaching ranks is to be on the defensive side of the ball.  Just be prepared to be blame for all things that go wrong.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

jdelo77

Quote from: The Chief on October 05, 2015, 08:21:53 pm
I know a guy from Cedarville in his 40s who claimed he could run a 4.2 40 in high school.  I asked why he didn't play in the NFL.  No answer.  Obviously an embellishment.  He may have ran a 4.2 20.

I tell this story constantly , a buddy of mine played Running Back during high school , he literally trained all summer long and never drank anything but water and ate extremely healthy ! He worked harder than anyone I've ever seen , he ran a 4.5 forty in August ! But it nearly killed him getting into the shape to do it !!! He never got close to that time again ..

jdelo77

I think back to that Clay Travis article ( Jackass I know ) about how he walked into a bar in Nashville TN , he bet that no one in the bar could run a 4.5   40 , no one did ... Just goes to show you everyone thinks they were the best athlete ...

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on October 05, 2015, 03:40:11 pm
Does anyone else feel that the reason why most of the talent evaluations are off because those doing the recruiting portion for the media never played. There is a hige difference in athleticism, coordination and having that dog to you. You can't convince me that people who didn't play football but any sports can grasp those things without playing. Just because a kid looks the part, doesn't mean he will be the part. I think this is the biggest flaw in AR media. Everyone we get our info from(Wally, Dudley, Bo, Richard, Mike, Schapp, Girt, Clay, and I'm sure I left out some never played but give us in depth scrimmage analyst and reviews on players. This year and smiles year proved this to be true. They sold us a bill of good about the players.
For those saying we have been left with the cubard being so bare when some coaches took over, why didn't they let us know these players weren't up to speed.

The national rankings should have told you where our talent level is.  Over time, they generally bear out as correct.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: elksnort on October 03, 2015, 01:13:20 pm

Those darn auburn locks.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi