Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UT is Extremely one-dimensional

Started by Razorfox, October 03, 2015, 09:13:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorfox

Even though our defense has struggled this year, surely they will be able to hold UT in check, right?  UT's offense has only average 180 yards through the air per game and that includes all the trick plays. If you look only at their starter, they average just under 140 yards per game through the air.  Can we slow down their rush game that averages just under 250 yards per game?  Surely we can figure out a way, right? 

lakecityhog

I think that we can slow down their run game but stopping the QB scrambles??
They are gong to sell out to stop the run. We will need to throw it abut to open running lanes

Redhogs

Quote from: Razorfox on October 03, 2015, 09:13:51 am
Even though our defense has struggled this year, surely they will be able to hold UT in check, right?  UT's offense has only average 180 yards through the air per game and that includes all the trick plays. If you look only at their starter, they average just under 140 yards per game through the air.  Can we slow down their rush game that averages just under 250 yards per game?  Surely we can figure out a way, right?
"Surely we can figure out a way, right? ".....Nope.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hoglady

Quote from: Razorfox on October 03, 2015, 09:13:51 am

Historically, we have not done well against mobile QB's.
He may not can beat us through the air, but he has the ability to beat us with his legs.
It's just a catch 22 sometimes - you play aggressive and over pursue then you lose containment.
I hate playing these QB's that can run.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

870hogfan

With the rain I think it slows him down.

wildhogman

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 03, 2015, 09:28:15 am
I think that we can slow down their run game but stopping the QB scrambles??
They are gong to sell out to stop the run. We will need to throw it abut to open running lanes
Seems like we been throwing it around. Also if I rememeber correctly, we found away to run the ball last week against a team that was selling out to stop our running.  Should have beat that team if we don't get fetal in the 4th.
Now I will agree we need to break tendencies like RUSHING 99.9% of the time on first down.( I know we don't run it that much on first but it sure feels like it)

regi

Arkansas is good against the RB runs, it is what BB bases his program on, as well as his RB running it well. Can we contain the QB runs, is the key.

Razorfox

Quote from: hoglady on October 03, 2015, 09:43:09 am
He may not can beat us through the air, but he has the ability to beat us with his legs.
It's just a catch 22 sometimes - you play aggressive and over pursue then you lose containment.

Refresh my memory, have we done poorly against all of them or just the ones that were also a legit passing threat? 

hawgmasta

It will be interesting to see what all the rain the past few days and today will do, plus this is gonna be the first game for both teams that will be chilly. Being wet and cold changes the way the QBs are going to throw; and BA is definitely the better passer so I hope he is still able to throw around on these guys. For all the crap that BA gets it's nice to know going into games that he is the better passer with some quick(ish) legs to boot.

Pig in the Pokey

and yet we've only evr had ONE of them ourselves. Biggest head-scratcher ever is "why won't Arkansas ever recruit a dual-threat QB?" It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Razorfox

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 03, 2015, 11:14:54 am
and yet we've only evr had ONE of them ourselves. Biggest head-scratcher ever is "why won't Arkansas ever recruit a dual-threat QB?" It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

We've had more recruited (Robert Johnson and Damon Mitchell come to mind), but they just didn't work out as the best QB options. 

PonderinHog

HogPharmer

Hopefully we can put a few good licks on their QB when he scrambles early to make him think twice about running the ball... Only problem is we have to catch him first, which has not been our D's forte. I'm hoping we can force some fumbles tonight too with the weather the way it's going to be.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 03, 2015, 11:14:54 am

We have recruited them.  They just haven't been very good at the major college level.  "Dual threat" as a prospect usually means "can't throw well enough to play the position in college but out-athleted a bunch of 5'10", 185 pound linebackers and fat linemen who run 5.5 forties in high school."

Pig In The City

Pig Worshipper

If they can't walk, we do even better.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Bowfishinghogfan

it seems when some teams play us, one guy has a career night against us. I hope tonight is different and the QB doesn't have a Heisman type game.

Razorfox

Quote from: lefty08 on October 03, 2015, 01:22:49 pm
Yeah we are one dimensional, all offense and no defense

We weren't during the TT or Tex A&M game as far as offense. 

razorbackkid

I don't know if Pig Howard is going to play or not, but it doesn't hurt our chances any by having a relative on the inside.  ;)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hoglady

Quote from: Razorfox on October 03, 2015, 10:06:58 am
Refresh my memory, have we done poorly against all of them or just the ones that were also a legit passing threat? 

Dodds is not a horrible passer. He had a bad game against Okla. percentage wise but he protects the ball. He's had 1 pick this year. He finished last year with a completion percentage in the mid 60's.  They only threw the ball 17 times in the Florida game. He may not stretch the field but he can dink and dunk it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ALLVOL

My guess is both teams will be one dimensional. The weather is nasty boys. Gonna be a sloppy ugly game. The kind you love to play in but hate to watch.