Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen: "We're Done Being Close"

Started by Mike Irwin, September 27, 2015, 06:58:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackkid

I think I've been supportive of Brandon Allen more times than not, and I'll continue to be.  Brandon Allen and the coaching staff, especially CBB, needs to simply relax a bit and let coach Enos do his thing.  If, as some have suggested, and the Allen quote is correct, the fourth quarter meltdowns can only be the result of CBB's hesitation in his own belief's about how to win a ballgame.

My belief is simple and straight forward, if you are winning by doing what your doing for three quarters, then by all means do the same things in the fourth quarter.

Right now we are losers in the 4th quarter, we dance with the prettiest girl all night most times and feel great, then she leaves the ball with someone else.

If we can hang with and beat these teams for 3/4 of the game, we can beat'em in the fourth.  Just got to approach the ending with a "now it's really time to let you know you have been beat" attitude. 

Prettiest girl is leaving with me tonight, leave no doubt about it.

:razorback:

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Grizzlyfan

In this thread I have seen the terms "maturity", "class", "leadership, "wants to help the team", "responsibility".

Why is it assumed that if you question a player, especially QB1, that you are questioning any of the above characteristics?

What if BA just doesn't have the skill set necessary to complete throws in the red zone because of the lack of space? or what if we just don't have receivers that can get open in the red zone? or what if we just don't have the OL that can bust open a hole when the defense stacks up?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hoghevn on September 28, 2015, 04:33:53 pm
Where is the discussion of the LACK OF DEFENSE????  The defense is who's to blame,  they were not hardly on the field and should have been rested and they were PATHETIC!!  It's all on the defense!!  Without Brandon Allen we wouldn't even be in the game.  IT'S ALL THE DEFENSE.  THEYRE NOT HELPING AT ALL!!!!  They were not there for the torpedo's, Texas tech or a&m.  Fix the DEFENSE!!
A&M came into the game averaging 45 points per game. Arkansas held them to 21 in regulation and had held them to 14 late into the 4th quarter. Maybe you expected a shutout but the Aggies have one of the better offenses in the SEC. It's no disgrace to get beat a few times by their receivers. The dudes are fast.

As for Texas Tech, they scored 52 points on TCU and Mahomes played almost the entire game on an injured knee. He was full speed against Arkansas. Take out the Arkansas game and Texas Tech is averaging 60 points per game. The Hogs defense held them to 35.

Toledo scored 16 on Arkansas, 30 on Iowa State and 37 on Arkansas State.

lefty08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 30, 2015, 08:16:40 pm
A&M came into the game averaging 45 points per game. Arkansas held them to 21 in regulation and had held them to 14 late into the 4th quarter. Maybe you expected a shutout but the Aggies have one of the better offenses in the SEC. It's no disgrace to get beat a few times by their receivers. The dudes are fast.

As for Texas Tech, they scored 52 points on TCU and Mahomes played almost the entire game on an injured knee. He was full speed against Arkansas. Take out the Arkansas game and Texas Tech is averaging 60 points per game. The Hogs defense held them to 35.

I get what you are saying Mike, but much of that credit goes to the offense. They are limiting the chances for opposing offenses and really skew the numbers. Arkansas' defense hasn't been very effective this year of you look at TOP. That being said, if you throw the record out We are in basically the same place as this time last year
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: lefty08 on September 30, 2015, 08:32:18 pm
I get what you are saying Mike, but much of that credit goes to the offense. They are limiting the chances for opposing offenses and really skew the numbers. Arkansas' defense hasn't been very effective this year of you look at TOP. That being said, if you throw the record out We are in basically the same place as this time last year

When I was a kid we had a bus driver named lefty.  He had a son named righty.  Just goes to show you never know, huh, lefty?

Prestworthy

Defense is doing its part.  Offense is lacking - namely at QB and hiccups on the OL

HogimusMaximus

So you are saying we have a better defense than Arkansas State and Iowa State...awesome.  :razorback::razorback:

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 30, 2015, 10:58:48 pm
So you are saying we have a better defense than Arkansas State and Iowa State...awesome.  :razorback::razorback:
I'm saying that Arkansas has pretty much cut its opponents scoring in half.

UTEP on its other three opponents:  48 ppg
Arkansas: 13 pts.

Toldeo on its other two opponents: 33 ppg
Arkansas: 16 points

Texas Tech on its other three opponents 60 ppg
Arkansas: 35 points

Texas A&M on its other three opponents 46 ppg
Arkansas: 21 (in regulation)                                       

hawgon

On that morning show out of Ft. Smith this morning they said that while our opponents weren't scoring a lot, our defense is 110th in efficiency rating.  I think it is more our ball control offense that is doing the trick, which is okay.  We just need to score some points.  Other teams might not be scoring a lot of points, but they don't need to score that many to beat us right now.  We can hold them to half their averages and that is still enough for them to beat us.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on October 01, 2015, 08:35:04 am
On that morning show out of Ft. Smith this morning they said that while our opponents weren't scoring a lot, our defense is 110th in efficiency rating.  I think it is more our ball control offense that is doing the trick, which is okay.  We just need to score some points.  Other teams might not be scoring a lot of points, but they don't need to score that many to beat us right now.  We can hold them to half their averages and that is still enough for them to beat us.

I agree with most of that.  I think our ball control offense is working like it's supposed to in that regard.  And it's actually a pretty good strategy.  We are limiting the other team's chance to get their hands on the ball.  That's a great strategy, but it also limits the amount of points we can score.  If we end up sputtering at the end of long drives, it actually flips our ball control strategy and it starts working against us because our chances to score are limited too.  If we don't take advantage of them, we're asking for trouble if our defense can't stop the opponent on their limited scoring opportunities.

hawgon

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 01, 2015, 08:39:37 am
I agree with most of that.  I think our ball control offense is working like it's supposed to in that regard.  And it's actually a pretty good strategy.  We are limiting the other team's chance to get their hands on the ball.  That's a great strategy, but it also limits the amount of points we can score.  If we end up sputtering at the end of long drives, it actually flips our ball control strategy and it starts working against us because our chances to score are limited too.  If we don't take advantage of them, we're asking for trouble if our defense can't stop the opponent on their limited scoring opportunities.

But, conversely, I think to get better at scoring points we're going to have to be less ball control, which of course, will give the other teams more chances to score points as well.  If the defense really is that bad, then it will be hard to win.  You'll take your pick of losing in a high scoring game or losing in a low scoring game.

hawg IQ

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 30, 2015, 10:58:48 pm
Hey folks were saying...a lot of posters saying right here on the board hogs would get blowed out by A&M. Didn't happen.  Hogs are not a good football team especially on defense .  But they do look like they are improving. Good grief the schedule is killer and the fact we are just improving is not good enough.

I believe we were not the football team we thought to be going into fall camp. whatever we were coming out of spring practice had zero improvement going into UTEP game and the walls come tumbling down after.
     Its shocked the fans, the coaches and in some ways the entire country. What the coaches have to ask themselves "how did we not know this". I read we were improved in secondary- nots so, much worse than last years bowl game. Also we read the DE would be okay and not much drop off, again no flowers to be found. We had good d-lines without Philon, not so again.
  It is more than obvious the RB's not the same with out JWill. Yet they are improving. I'm one of B Allen biggest critics , not because he doesn't have talent, but because he has no clutch talent and cannot make the plays at crunch time. He has the ability IMO, but some kind of mental block stops him. Maybe he don't really believe in him self?

In summary Hogs sometimes act dumb in penalties they get. I believe we have good coaches and I believe we have good players (maybe short on some numbers) , but good enough. We cannot improve and compete with upper elite teams until we get everyone trying and believing again in themselves. And yes we hog fans sometimes expect TOO MUCH. We need to stay fans and let the  situation straighten itself out a little.
go hogs go !

MiHogsMi

Quote from: hawg IQ on October 01, 2015, 08:53:07 am
Hey folks were saying...a lot of posters saying right here on the board hogs would get blowed out by A&M. Didn't happen.  Hogs are not a good football team especially on defense .  But they do look like they are improving. Good grief the schedule is killer and the fact we are just improving is not good enough.

I believe we were not the football team we thought to be going into fall camp. whatever we were coming out of spring practice had zero improvement going into UTEP game and the walls come tumbling down after.
     Its shocked the fans, the coaches and in some ways the entire country. What the coaches have to ask themselves "how did we not know this". I read we were improved in secondary- nots so, much worse than last years bowl game. Also we read the DE would be okay and not much drop off, again no flowers to be found. We had good d-lines without Philon, not so again.
  It is more than obvious the RB's not the same with out JWill. Yet they are improving. I'm one of B Allen biggest critics , not because he doesn't have talent, but because he has no clutch talent and cannot make the plays at crunch time. He has the ability IMO, but some kind of mental block stops him. Maybe he don't really believe in him self?

In summary Hogs sometimes act dumb in penalties they get. I believe we have good coaches and I believe we have good players (maybe short on some numbers) , but good enough. We cannot improve and compete with upper elite teams until we get everyone trying and believing again in themselves. And yes we hog fans sometimes expect TOO MUCH. We need to stay fans and let the  situation straighten itself out a little.

Rubbish.  Your summary is rubbish. I gurandamntee you the team was trying and believing in themselves entering the season.  Hog fans expect too much??? Are you frigging kidding me?  Expecting to blow out Toledo and whip Kiff The cutie at Texas tech is NOT ASKING FOR TOO MUCH OUT OF HOF FANS.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

Pig In The City

I was over it last year. Glad he is now on board!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 01, 2015, 08:39:37 am

IF you have the right players a ball control offense can score quite a bit................just ask Nebraska in the Big10 champ game against..............you guessed it BB's team. I do think there are some glaring issues on D. We lost a LOT of productivity there from last year. That was probably to be expected but the offensive dumb penalties should not be.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wild Bill Hog

The evidence of whether they're "done being close" or not will be seen on the scoreboard.

hawginbigd1

The first team had gary danielson on today and he was talking about the Tenner game Saturday. He said he could see and sense on the field a team and staff that has not had much recent success, as the 4th quarter was counting down it was a team that was just hoping for the clock to run out. It had quit trying to win the game and was just trying to hold on and let the clock run out, I was thinking this feels exactly what we continually attempt to do. Sometimes like Toledo it seemed we were trailing and still trying to do the same thing.

He also said about coaches and QB's if you can't stand the criticism for your mistakes and problems go to Grand Valley State they won't write or care about your performance! So if you make the decision to play on the big stage you have to own it all, I concur!

hawg IQ

Quote from: MiHogsMi on October 01, 2015, 08:56:54 am
Rubbish.  Your summary is rubbish. I gurandamntee you the team was trying and believing in themselves entering the season.  Hog fans expect too much??? Are you frigging kidding me?  Expecting to blow out Toledo and whip Kiff The cutie at Texas tech is NOT ASKING FOR TOO MUCH OUT OF HOF FANS.
Your response seems to be bi-polar . You say they believe in themselves, maybe so, but if the belief was based on a false assessment of just where they were, it is "STILL" not enough to work harder or study enough film.
Have you not seen bonehead mistakes, penalties, being out of position and in some cases such as Toledo, simply not trying !?
   We do expect in some respects too much, but when we can't recruit with the Bamas, LSU, Auburns and even Ol Miss in regards of late leaving us short in lack of depth in several positions, we sometimes expect to compete when we are less talented. It is easy to have high expectations, but unreasonable at the same time.

When bama has a JWill type player go down, they are stockpiled to replace those types quickly.
   Rubbish, I think not. Maybe one can disagree, but when what I said is loaded with accurate assessments, not rubbish my friend.
go hogs go !

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 01, 2015, 10:56:08 am
The first team had gary danielson on today and he was talking about the Tenner game Saturday. He said he could see and sense on the field a team and staff that has not had much recent success, as the 4th quarter was counting down it was a team that was just hoping for the clock to run out. It had quit trying to win the game and was just trying to hold on and let the clock run out, I was thinking this feels exactly what we continually attempt to do. Sometimes like Toledo it seemed we were trailing and still trying to do the same thing.

He also said about coaches and QB's if you can't stand the criticism for your mistakes and problems go to Grand Valley State they won't write or care about your performance! So if you make the decision to play on the big stage you have to own it all, I concur!

Basically, mentally you play the fourth quarter like it's the second quarter, and you're about to go to halftime.  That's how they should approach it, instead of changing what they're doing.  I got enough "play not to lose" under HDN for a lifetime, and my hope is that once we get a full stable of Clydesdale's, we will have worn down the opponent to the point that we can just run at will and not have to do anything fancy. 

We're not there yet, but I'm confident that's the long term plan.  For now...they need to just keep their foot on the gas and not play with fear.  Easier said than done. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MiHogsMi on October 01, 2015, 08:56:54 am

If you could put a numerical score on how well prepared Arkansas was for UTEP, Toledo, Texas Tech and Texas A&M, well, the numbers would not be close to one another. Complicated by injuries, perhaps, but not enough to explain the variance.
[CENSORED]!

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 27, 2015, 09:04:40 pm
Skippers call was bogus . even the ref in the booth agreed that it was wrong as were the roughing the qb's and Kirklands snap violation. these were the ones he disagreed with . The guys in the booth gave us the benefit of doubt by asking him and got fair honest answers . not that it changed the calls

Which announcer was a ref.......Tod Blackledge or Brad Nessler?

arkansasrazorbacks

Yes, BA is absolutely right--we are done being close because we are close to being blown out by elite SEC teams.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2015, 06:58:14 pm
Brandon Allen's voice cracked with emotion. "This one is on me. I wasn't able to, I wasn't able to come through for us. It hurts me the most but I thought our whole team played a great game and I wasn't able to help out," Allen said following a 4th quarter let down that handed Texas A&M a 28-21 overtime win over Arkansas.

For the second straight season Allen led Arkansas into the final period with a lead against the Aggies. Once again A&M riddled the Hogs' defense with passes in a successful comeback.

Head Coach Bret Bielema laid the loss not on Allen but on the ninety-three yards on eleven penalties his team received, the second game this season which appeared to be decided on infractions.

"The penalties were just absolutely critical," Bielema told reporters after the game. "We can't commit pre snap penalties or post snap penalties."
--------------------------
To read more: http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/brandon-allen-were-done-being-close

PorkRinds

Quote from: arkansasrazorbacks on October 02, 2015, 01:06:17 am
Yes, BA is absolutely right--we are done being close because we are close to being blown out by elite SEC teams.

Touchdown in overtime isn't blown out...

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 01, 2015, 08:31:48 am

I accept that you aren't really stating any kind of conclusion from these statistics.  I'm not going to bother listing these other teams other opponents, but these #'s are proof that you can make statistics say anything you want.

GuvHog

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on October 02, 2015, 12:42:25 am
Which announcer was a ref.......Tod Blackledge or Brad Nessler?

He was referring to the video review ref.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on October 01, 2015, 08:51:02 am
But, conversely, I think to get better at scoring points we're going to have to be less ball control, which of course, will give the other teams more chances to score points as well.  If the defense really is that bad, then it will be hard to win.  You'll take your pick of losing in a high scoring game or losing in a low scoring game.

And there in lies the heart of the CBB ball vs the spread. Too many people feel like you have a better chance of winning if your slinging the ball and spreading the D out. And its true given the success certain teams have had with it.  But the slow methodical time killing game can win as well.  Look what's happened to Bama since they have started trying the spread game and slinging the ball instead of just grind it out right down your throats. Bama is havig to take some time to get the players for that.
I hate that we are losing. I hate it worse the manner in which we are losing. But I am not ready to throw in the towel and declare CBB ball a bankrupt idea.  I'll give him 2 more years to the point when our roster should be full of his Sr's and Jr's. If nothing has changed or we still haven't turned the corner, then make a HC change.

PonderinHog

Unfortunately, we're also close to being done.   :(

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jacobp

Quote from: wildhogman on October 02, 2015, 10:34:59 am
And there in lies the heart of the CBB ball vs the spread. Too many people feel like you have a better chance of winning if your slinging the ball and spreading the D out. And its true given the success certain teams have had with it.  But the slow methodical time killing game can win as well.  Look what's happened to Bama since they have started trying the spread game and slinging the ball instead of just grind it out right down your throats. Bama is havig to take some time to get the players for that.
I hate that we are losing. I hate it worse the manner in which we are losing. But I am not ready to throw in the towel and declare CBB ball a bankrupt idea.  I'll give him 2 more years to the point when our roster should be full of his Sr's and Jr's. If nothing has changed or we still haven't turned the corner, then make a HC change.
This is one of the more rational posts I've seen on this site in about a month.

hawgon

Quote from: wildhogman on October 02, 2015, 10:34:59 am

I think the ONLY way you win big with a ball control offense is to have superior athletes across the board at almost every position.  While with the high powered offenses, you can compete with really good skill players.

People forget that at places like Alabama when they were winning it all, they had the best athletes at every position with the possible exception of QB.  Even at receiver they had guys like Amari Cooper.  When is the last time Arkansas had a receiver that good?  Have we ever?  Alabama got guys like Amari Cooper to come play for them and they didn't even throw the football around that much.  They were playing ball control football.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: hawgon on October 02, 2015, 01:41:02 pm
I think the ONLY way you win big with a ball control offense is to have superior athletes across the board at almost every position.  While with the high powered offenses, you can compete with really good skill players.

People forget that at places like Alabama when they were winning it all, they had the best athletes at every position with the possible exception of QB.  Even at receiver they had guys like Amari Cooper.  When is the last time Arkansas had a receiver that good?  Have we ever?  Alabama got guys like Amari Cooper to come play for them and they didn't even throw the football around that much.  They were playing ball control football.

Ummmmm, the Godfather of the HNH Spread 'Em out is Coaching a team that's been raking in highly touted recruiting dating back to when he was their OC until Present.  How is it that his teams have struggled lately?  By your logic, he should be sailing along on greased grooves.

The fact of the matter is, just about any system will work to a point, but nothing is fail proof.  Since joining the SEC, we've never had a coach in place long enough (besides Nutt) to build the program.  And while Nutt enjoyed a limited amount of success, there was absolutely no rhyme or reason to his approach in recruiting, and there was never a semblance to anything that might be confused in any way with building something. 

Danny Ford is as close as we've come to having someone who had a plan, and he was run off for many of the same reasons that people are using to gripe about Bielema.  People don't like hearing this, but we are a small state with a limited talent pool.  There will be occasions when we have game breakers, but we will never be the kind of program that has the capacity to reload with that kind of talent. 

For Arkansas to compete at the  highest level in the SEC, it will be by fielding a team that's loaded two deep with Junior and Seniors, year over year.  It's not going to happen overnight. 

Finally, this season isn't over.  There was real progress made the last two games and it wouldn't take much for us to turn the corner on our season.

regi

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 01, 2015, 08:31:48 am

Part of that is TOP, and since the secondary has been under assault these last two weeks, no one notices we are second in the SEC against the run.  Converting in the red zone, starting with OC and QB, is really where the main issues lay. Especially late in games. This is not a revelation I am sure.

SgtBacon

First off, the team and especially the coaches and the media did a good enough job of placing expectations for this year.  I think most fans were optimistic but jaded due to recent years.

Second, we must take advantage of all offensive opportunities as a ball control offense, even if it means just field goals, especially late in games.

It also would be nice to see more situational passing on 1st and 2nd downs.  I don't want to see us throw all the time on 1st & 2nd, but occasionally when its least expected (such as 2nd and short over the top).  Finally, we should never be satisfied with just a lead in the 4th qtr and get conservative in our playcalling. The game has changed too much offensively and the way games a refereed to think that our defense can stop the other team more times than not. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: SgtBacon on October 02, 2015, 03:26:47 pm
First off, the team and especially the coaches and the media did a good enough job of placing expectations for this year.  I think most fans were optimistic but jaded due to recent years.

Second, we must take advantage of all offensive opportunities as a ball control offense, even if it means just field goals, especially late in games.

It also would be nice to see more situational passing on 1st and 2nd downs.  I don't want to see us throw all the time on 1st & 2nd, but occasionally when its least expected (such as 2nd and short over the top).  Finally, we should never be satisfied with just a lead in the 4th qtr and get conservative in our playcalling. The game has changed too much offensively and the way games a refereed to think that our defense can stop the other team more times than not.
I think your last point is the most important.  The game is officiated in favor of the O, particularly close games in the 4th quarter.  It actually seems the officials take a bigger hand at that point.  In order to combat that, we need to continue to be aggressive.  That doesn't mean we sling it all over the place, but we must strategically take our shots and keep scoring through the 4th quarter.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Swine-as-wine

arkansasrazorbacks

Read three times before you reply. Thanks for your effort.

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 02, 2015, 08:38:08 am
Touchdown in overtime isn't blown out...

LZH

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 29, 2015, 09:33:49 pm
BA is being asked to make perfect throws in the fourth quarter, because his receivers struggle to get open. He throws high or low, because he's afraid of throwing away the football. If somebody could get open right away, somebody really quick (which we don't have), BA would not have to thread the needle to make a play on a critical down.

There are several plays per game where BA never gets past his second read and the third or backside receiver is open....really open.  I just don't know if the clock in his head has gotten quicker because the pressure to win has gotten more urgent.  Also, I'd like to know what Enos' idea of what our offensive identity is/should be.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 02, 2015, 10:36:42 am
Unfortunately, we're also close to being done.   :(

What you did there, I see it.

razorbrass

Oh great- so we are going to start losing by three touchdowns now?
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

Bowfishinghogfan

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 02, 2015, 09:22:06 am
I accept that you aren't really stating any kind of conclusion from these statistics.  I'm not going to bother listing these other teams other opponents, but these #'s are proof that you can make statistics say anything you want.

this. there is only 1 stat that matters in sports. W-L's. nothing more.

HogimusMaximus

rzrbackrob

Brandon Allen was last player leaving the field looking into the stands and slapping his helmet as he walked off field.

Looking down on him from the stands, I was happy for him to get the chance to soak in how happy he and his team made the Arkansas faithful.

Good is the enemy of great