Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen: "We're Done Being Close"

Started by Mike Irwin, September 27, 2015, 06:58:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Brandon Allen's voice cracked with emotion. "This one is on me. I wasn't able to, I wasn't able to come through for us. It hurts me the most but I thought our whole team played a great game and I wasn't able to help out," Allen said following a 4th quarter let down that handed Texas A&M a 28-21 overtime win over Arkansas.

For the second straight season Allen led Arkansas into the final period with a lead against the Aggies. Once again A&M riddled the Hogs' defense with passes in a successful comeback.

Head Coach Bret Bielema laid the loss not on Allen but on the ninety-three yards on eleven penalties his team received, the second game this season which appeared to be decided on infractions.

"The penalties were just absolutely critical," Bielema told reporters after the game. "We can't commit pre snap penalties or post snap penalties."
--------------------------
To read more: http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/brandon-allen-were-done-being-close

Quickdraw

You say your done being close. Show us! I say this in the most positive way.

PorkRinds

I have a hard time not agreeing with BA.  I hope he gets it together. For him and for us.

TeufelHog

I believe you BA.  Now show me.  Let's quit confusing efforts with results.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Brandon shows class, maturity and leadership...takes full responsibility even when he knows it's not all on him.  I hope the season and his razorback career end on a high notes.  You could see last night how much that loss hurt him.  I hope we can all get behind him and the team for the rest of the season.

Hogsolo

How about hitting those opposing receivers hard as they come off the line.  Make that timing a little more difficult than its been.  May even help that pass rush a bit.  If we can stone the rush we should be able to make a QB feel occasional heat. 

TxArky

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2015, 06:58:14 pm
Head Coach Bret Bielema laid the loss not on Allen but on the ninety-three yards on eleven penalties his team received, the second game this season which appeared to be decided on infractions.

"The penalties were just absolutely critical," Bielema told reporters after the game. "We can't commit pre snap penalties or post snap penalties."

Out of curiosity, how many of those yards in penalties did Skipper get? I tend to agree with what CBB said, and believe that has been the case for a lot of the losses. It seems to me that Skipper has been the biggest detriment to the team, not Brandon Allen.

Smokehouse

Quote from: OTR on September 27, 2015, 07:57:28 pm
Brandon shows class, maturity and leadership...takes full responsibility even when he knows it's not all on him.  I hope the season and his razorback career end on a high notes.  You could see last night how much that loss hurt him.  I hope we can all get behind him and the team for the rest of the season.

I really want him to go out with a big moment like Casey got. I look at them both in the same boat; neither are world-beaters, both came were under center for some really terrible times to be a Hog, both received criticism above and beyond what they earned with their play, and both worked hard and handled themselves with nothing but class off the field despite all the nonsense.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

tophawg19

Skippers call was bogus . even the ref in the booth agreed that it was wrong as were the roughing the qb's and Kirklands snap violation. these were the ones he disagreed with . The guys in the booth gave us the benefit of doubt by asking him and got fair honest answers . not that it changed the calls
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

lefty08

Skipper had a tough assignment.  Not excusing the penalty call at all, but at least 1 expert has said that wasn't holding. Officials get to choose when they call holding. Every lineman on Every team does it, but when it's called is critical
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lumphog

GREAT POST OTR  +1 .......that wasn't sarcasm was it ?

shotgun7

Anyone that can't see how much coach BB cares about this team and wants to succeed is crazy. BA was great but yea, he missed a pass in the clutch... should have never got to that point. It takes a team to win. I am glad they played as well as they did and did not give up. Past that just need to move on and hope we can pull out a win against Tenner  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

Overtheroadtruckdriver

nchogg

PorkRinds

Quote from: 12247 on September 28, 2015, 07:37:37 am
Brandon Allen gets far more opportunities to screw up as he always will touch the ball and direct the ball.  We have a pretty decent group of players that still do their share of mistake making.  This coaching staff has not done a good job of putting players in position to win or be successful.  We do not have a quality leader on the team at any position, even on the coaching staff.  BB rarely comes to a timeout huddle.  I am sure he wants to win and I am sure every team member wants to win.  The failure end to end is getting the correct combination on the field to do so.  Removing penalties, better play from BA, better play from every defensive position, better o-line play, BB becoming the real director of the team especially on game day, the coaching staff developing players and USING them, against A&M, any one of these things could have won the game for us.

We've moped around in circles for 2 years crying about the WRs being under average, then boom, we got WRs catching balls, running routes, moving after the catch.  These WRs didn't all learn to play their position well just last week.  Same with the the freshman RB.  He didn't just learn to play RB last week.  We need the staff to recognize what these players can do for us and get them on the durn field.  QB is the glaring spot for this.  No way do I believe we don't have a decent answer for a second QB.  Letting BA see from the Bench another QB running his position might help him a bunch.  Competition usually brings out the best in players.   Brandon has no competition.  The Guy played like an SEC QB should for most of the game and then we know the rest.  NOT ACCEPTABLE.  These issues are things coaching staffs correct, well most coaching staffs.  We are not losing the way we lose by accident.  We are causing it to be that way.

So much misguided talk here.  And rest assured, it's obviously just talk.  The players ARE being developed.  The reason the young RB is looking better and playing more is because he IS developing.  He's gaining experience, which is getting him more reps.  The WR are young, and they are getting better.  Because they HAVE to.  You don't play JoJo and Edwards every down if you've got Hatcher and Cornelius.  Not because they aren't good, but because the older two are more developed.  I've seen a lot of post where people are just making up things to sound like they know what they are talking about, and yours fits the mold for sure.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 12247 on September 28, 2015, 07:37:37 am
Brandon Allen gets far more opportunities to screw up as he always will touch the ball and direct the ball.  We have a pretty decent group of players that still do their share of mistake making.  This coaching staff has not done a good job of putting players in position to win or be successful.  We do not have a quality leader on the team at any position, even on the coaching staff.  BB rarely comes to a timeout huddle.  I am sure he wants to win and I am sure every team member wants to win.  The failure end to end is getting the correct combination on the field to do so.  Removing penalties, better play from BA, better play from every defensive position, better o-line play, BB becoming the real director of the team especially on game day, the coaching staff developing players and USING them, against A&M, any one of these things could have won the game for us.

We've moped around in circles for 2 years crying about the WRs being under average, then boom, we got WRs catching balls, running routes, moving after the catch.  These WRs didn't all learn to play their position well just last week.  Same with the the freshman RB.  He didn't just learn to play RB last week.  We need the staff to recognize what these players can do for us and get them on the durn field.  QB is the glaring spot for this.  No way do I believe we don't have a decent answer for a second QB.  Letting BA see from the Bench another QB running his position might help him a bunch.  Competition usually brings out the best in players.   Brandon has no competition.  The Guy played like an SEC QB should for most of the game and then we know the rest.  NOT ACCEPTABLE.  These issues are things coaching staffs correct, well most coaching staffs.  We are not losing the way we lose by accident.  We are causing it to be that way.
Absolutely one of the most spot on posts ever typed on HV. I have been playing, coaching, and officiating the game for over 35 years, and some people don't know squat, like they have "Porkrinds" between their ears! Glad BA took responsibility for his most critical contributions to this loss! Now stop being the problem or move out of the way!

DeltaBoy

Bless his heart I know he trying hard I hope he can be like Tebow and follow through with this.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

And for that I will always think highly of him!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 28, 2015, 08:28:21 am
So much misguided talk here.  And rest assured, it's obviously just talk.  The players ARE being developed.  The reason the young RB is looking better and playing more is because he IS developing.  He's gaining experience, which is getting him more reps.  The WR are young, and they are getting better.  Because they HAVE to.  You don't play JoJo and Edwards every down if you've got Hatcher and Cornelius.  Not because they aren't good, but because the older two are more developed.  I've seen a lot of post where people are just making up things to sound like they know what they are talking about, and yours fits the mold for sure.

One hundred percent correct.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

TomBigBeeHog

Sure hate this for Allen, to be an Arkansas kid and ending up being one of the most criticized and scrutinized QBs in Hog history sucks. Especially if he choses to live here after his playing days are over (this year) and then having to hear about how bad some think he was year after year on the call in radio shows or anywhere else Razorback football is discussed.

Hoping for a great ending for the kid and wish him well.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hoghevn

Where is the discussion of the LACK OF DEFENSE????  The defense is who's to blame,  they were not hardly on the field and should have been rested and they were PATHETIC!!  It's all on the defense!!  Without Brandon Allen we wouldn't even be in the game.  IT'S ALL THE DEFENSE.  THEYRE NOT HELPING AT ALL!!!!  They were not there for the torpedo's, Texas tech or a&m.  Fix the DEFENSE!!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Hog_Swanson

I'm with Hoghevn, this is on the defense and OL.  Fix the D and stop the stupid penalties from the OL.  That is what needs to be fixed.  BA played his ass off.  Give the kid a break.  WooPig :razorback:
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

HogPharmer

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on September 28, 2015, 03:20:41 pm
Sure hate this for Allen, to be an Arkansas kid and ending up being one of the most criticized and scrutinized QBs in Hog history sucks. Especially if he choses to live here after his playing days are over (this year) and then having to hear about how bad some think he was year after year on the call in radio shows or anywhere else Razorback football is discussed.

Hoping for a great ending for the kid and wish him well.

Hopefully he won't listen to the call-in radio shows... No good info on them anyways
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HogPharmer on September 28, 2015, 05:36:08 pm
Hopefully he won't listen to the call-in radio shows... No good info on them anyways

Speak for yourself.  My entire Razorback experience is guided by Gentle Ben.   :D
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hoghearted

My heart hurts for all these players, but especially BA.  I don't think anyone felt worse than he does, and no one wants to win more than those guys on the field.

We're still behind you guys. #NeverYield
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

danduck

BA needs to own the offensive line.  They muck up jump not down their throat but ride them to the ground.  Get their respect and loyalty.  Be a leader and don't wait on some else.

lumphog

Hoggish1

Quote from: danduck on September 28, 2015, 06:18:00 pm
BA needs to own the offensive line.  They muck up jump not down their throat but ride them to the ground.  Get their respect and loyalty.  Be a leader and don't wait on some else.

Take them to dinner like a real QB does...

lefty08

Quote from: danduck on September 28, 2015, 06:18:00 pm

What makes you think he doesnt have their respect  now?  Dont you think they would quit playing hard if they didnt believe in their QB. Dont you think those holds would turn into sacks if they didnt believe in their QB. Leaders dont have to yell and scream to lead.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

SuperHog32

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 28, 2015, 08:28:21 am

so using your logic, just how developed should a 5th year senior, 3 year starting QB be at this point?  Developed enough to deliver in the clutch?

Steef

Quote from: SuperHog32 on September 29, 2015, 10:33:06 am
so using your logic, just how developed should a 5th year senior, 3 year starting QB be at this point?  Developed enough to deliver in the clutch?

We know.

We know BA has had some issues.

And we for sure know how you feel about it.

I checked your post history. The first page, anyway. Out of 97 posts, the first 50 ALL...are complaints and/or smart remarks.

Not one constructive thing to say.

I suggest you read more and post less.

SemperFi

After watching his post game interview and seeing the hurt and hearing the emotion in his voice my anger subsided quite a bit. I'm good with a loss as long as our Hogs give all that they can give and I feel that BA has done that. What he lacks in talent he makes up for in heart. I wish him well and hope that he can pull it all together next game. I'm not giving BA a pass on what I've seen from him in crunch time, but I will go on record as stating that he does appear to feel the loss and is owning up to his mistakes.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

PorkRinds

Quote from: SuperHog32 on September 29, 2015, 10:33:06 am

If you haven't seen how much BA has developed with age and experience, I can't explain it to you.  I don't think you can develop being clutch.  Guys either have it or they don't.  So far, he hasn't.  But I'm overall pretty satisfied with his progression. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: SemperFi on September 29, 2015, 10:48:50 am
After watching his post game interview and seeing the hurt and hearing the emotion in his voice my anger subsided quite a bit. I'm good with a loss as long as our Hogs give all that they can give and I feel that BA has done that. What he lacks in talent he makes up for in heart. I wish him well and hope that he can pull it all together next game. I'm not giving BA a pass on what I've seen from him in crunch time, but I will go on record as stating that he does appear to feel the loss and is owning up to his mistakes.

This.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2015, 10:57:14 am
If you haven't seen how much BA has developed with age and experience, I can't explain it to you.  I don't think you can develop being clutch.  Guys either have it or they don't.  So far, he hasn't.  But I'm overall pretty satisfied with his progression. 

I keep thinking he will have his moment, like Jason Day, how many times was he so close to winning a tournament then see it slip away? They were starting to talk about him in "the best player to never win a major" category, then he wins one, wins another, and now he's like a completely different golfer.

That is my hope for BA, go out with a string of wins, and nobody will be talking about  the ones that slipped away. Expect for those special few of course.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Mulberry Squeezins

September 29, 2015, 01:51:31 pm #35 Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:41:36 pm by Mulberry Squeezins
RIght now it's in his head.   One has a sense that all it will take is for Brandon to come through just once,  when the game is on the line, and the flood gates will open up.   

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Atlhogfan1

I'm done too. 

I was critical of BA after the loss and maybe too critical.  It is just so painful to have the feeling your chances of a winning play being made are dwindling with the clock even up 21-13.  That possession was for the win.  But the team doesn't have a killer attitude.  Scared to lose is contributing to losses.  Last year vs A&M, up 7 we ran the ball down the field, setup a FG for a 2 score lead and missed.  What do we do this year?  With more time on the clock and A&M with 3 timeouts, we again ran the ball every play as if A&M was going to allow us to do a 19 play 94 yard drive.  I get traditional football wisdom says to run the ball, run clock, make them use timeouts and they need a two pt conversion which if they don't get they'll need the ball again. 

But college football has evolved past this with the current offenses and how games are played.  Plus we don't have a proven clutch kicker right now if we had managed to get into FG range. 

It has just reached the point I don't believe we are winning if our opponent is within a score of us in the 4th qtr.  It isn't just BA or the oline and penalties or the defense or kicking game.  It is all of it.  BA just takes the criticism because as qb, he has the ball in his hands and can take out those other factors by making plays.  A little unfair maybe but it comes with the position especially on a team where nobody else seems capable of making a winning play.  And the OC and offensive staff don't even seem willing to give them a chance.  Played scared to lose instead of going for the kill. 

You plan and scheme for every opponent and most situations.  What is our "go for the kill" offense?  It can't be run run run run run .... and hope for a 4-5 yards per play drive and the opponent to watch us take 9 minutes off the clock every time we are in a close game.  That may work against overmatched opponents every now and then.  In a conference where the competition is usually on your level or better in talent, you can't do that.  Where was that play or plays Enos had seen may be there on film when he needed it?  Did he use them up earlier in the game like on the TD pass?  Was there nothing the staff had seen they could exploit up 21-13?  Lunney as an ex-QB couldn't find some adjustment or spot to hit one of our TE's for a game clincher or at least try?  A&M called two timeouts.  Was there a discussion of going for the kill on our sideline during either of those timeouts?  Did one of our wr's or TE's ask/demand the ball?  Did BA say put it in my hands?  Maybe they just don't trust BA or the oline not to get a penalty.  Our next two series suggested the staff shouldn't.  And this is a crappy position to be in - one we have been in for going on the 3rd season because we didn't have any options the previous two.  Might as well quit and leave the field when the 3rd qtr ends if we aren't up by 3 or more scores. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

;)

Biggus Piggus

BA is being asked to make perfect throws in the fourth quarter, because his receivers struggle to get open. He throws high or low, because he's afraid of throwing away the football. If somebody could get open right away, somebody really quick (which we don't have), BA would not have to thread the needle to make a play on a critical down.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from Brandon Allen today is telling:

"I have talked about it with Coach Enos, how I can improve in the fourth quarter. The biggest thing is there is a mindset in the fourth quarter that we have the lead and there is a 'Don't lose' mindset instead of a 'Let's go win it' mindset. The first three quarters we are just calling plays, doing things in our system, calling great plays, moving the ball, and not worried about wasting clock or any of that. I think we are going to have the same mindset that we have had in the first three quarters, and moving the ball well and carry that into the fourth quarter instead of the 'Let's not lose this' mindset."

So. Who was responsible for the "don't lose" playcalling? Hmm?
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 29, 2015, 10:54:42 pm

"I have talked about it with Coach Enos, how I can improve in the fourth quarter. The biggest thing is there is a mindset in the fourth quarter that we have the lead and there is a 'Don't lose' mindset instead of a 'Let's go win it' mindset. The first three quarters we are just calling plays, doing things in our system, calling great plays, moving the ball, and not worried about wasting clock or any of that. I think we are going to have the same mindset that we have had in the first three quarters, and moving the ball well and carry that into the fourth quarter instead of the 'Let's not lose this' mindset."

And why the mindset?  Is it driven because of a lack of trust in the players?  Or is it because of an old school belief in how the end of the game should be played out in these types of situations?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

moses_007

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 29, 2015, 10:54:42 pm

If that is the mindset Bielema is instilling in this team, he is a much worse coach than I thought he was.  That kind of mindset has to come from the head coach. 

How much more proof do you need that we have the wrong coach?  All close games lost in the fourth quarter.  Not a single conference game pulled out in the 4th quarter since CBB has been here. 

Now I see why we can't win a freeking game.

factchecker

September 30, 2015, 01:23:08 am #43 Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:46:47 am by factchecker
In the past, I have wondered whether or not someone, whether it be Chaney or Bielema, was coaching Brandon to throw the ball away instead of trying to make a play.  With Enos, we have seen a much improved passing game.  Brandon has hit more passes over the middle.  There are more drag routes and outlet passes in the flats versus the standard out or go route we had previously.  I couldn't have imagined that Brandon would throw for 1100 yards, 7 TDs at a 70% completion rate in the first 4 games.  With those stats, I would have guaranteed that we were 4-0.

The standard retort to Brandon's stats is his failure to be clutch and win the game.  Brandon has thrown for 397 yards, 0 TDs, and 1 INT with a 58% completion rate in the 2nd half/OT this season.  Compare to the 744 yards, 7 TDs and 2 INT with a 79.7% completion rate in the first half.  I attributed the second half offensive woes to Chaney but it still continues today.  Why? 

Is Brandon being coached to make the safe throw vs. the winning throw?  On the 3rd down play in overtime Brandon short hopped Sprinkle.  The poor throw infuriated fans.  I was more upset with Brandon not getting the ball to a wide open Kendrick Edwards on the drag route.  I was at the game and was screaming for Brandon to hit Kendrick.
video @ 1:19:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2abnATfJIw   
The Aggies had one deep safety lined directly in the middle of the field.  There was 9 within 5 yards of the LOS and the linebackers/corners were aligned to the field.  Edwards released under Morgan and dragged over the top behind Henry.  He was wide open and probably would have scored.  Brandon literally could have turned around and threw the ball backwards and Kendrick would have been able to adjust and make the catch.

The bad thing is, I believe Brandon saw Edwards. Instead, he opted for the safe throw to a trusted receiver, Sprinkle.  Is this because Brandon inherently lacks the fortitude to make the plays?  OR is he being coached to make the safe throw?

The quarterback position is psychological.  You need someone who is confident and almost a jerk level of cocky.  Anyone who met Mallet in class will tell you that he was very sure of himself.  If Bielema is coaching our quarterbacks to play timid, we will never be successful.  We need our quarterback to want and DEMAND to have the ball in clutch situations.  We need a quarterback with a short memory and who will sling it no matter what.  I like Bielema but I don't agree with a lot of his decisions.  If he is going to be a CEO coach, then he needs to let the OC handle the offense and the quarterback. 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

smb

Quote from: factchecker on September 30, 2015, 01:23:08 am
In the past, I have wondered whether or not someone, whether it be Chaney or Bielema, was coaching Brandon to throw the ball away instead of trying to make a play.  With Enos, we have seen a much improved passing game.  Brandon has hit more passes over the middle.  There are more drag routes and outlet passes in the flats versus the standard out or go route we had previously.  I couldn't have imagined that Brandon would throw for 1100 yards, 7 TDs at a 70% completion rate in the first 4 games.  With those stats, I would have guaranteed that we were 4-0.

The standard retort to Brandon's stats is his failure to be clutch and win the game.  Brandon has thrown for 397 yards, 0 TDs, and 1 INT with a 58% completion rate in the 2nd half/OT this season.  Compare to the 744 yards, 7 TDs and 2 INT with a 79.7% completion rate in the first half.  I attributed the second half offensive woes to Chaney but it still continues today.  Why? 

Is Brandon being coached to make the safe throw vs. the winning throw?  On the 3rd down play in overtime Brandon short hopped Sprinkle.  The poor throw infuriated fans.  I was more upset with Brandon not getting the ball to a wide open Kendrick Edwards on the drag route.  I was at the game and was screaming for Brandon to hit Kendrick.
video @ 1:19:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2abnATfJIw   
The Aggies had one deep safety lined directly in the middle of the field.  There was 9 within 5 yards of the LOS and the linebackers/corners were aligned to the field.  Edwards released under Morgan and dragged over the top behind Henry.  He was wide open and probably would have scored.  Brandon literally could have turned around and threw the ball backwards and Kendrick would have been able to adjust and make the catch.

The bad thing is, I believe Brandon saw Edwards. Instead, he opted for the safe throw to a trusted receiver, Sprinkle.  Is this because Brandon inherently lacks the fortitude to make the plays?  OR is he being coached to make the safe throw?

The quarterback position is psychological.  You need someone who is confident and almost a jerk level of cocky.  Anyone who met Mallet in class will tell you that he was very sure of himself.  If Bielema is coaching our quarterbacks to play timid, we will never be successful.  We need our quarterback to want and DEMAND to have the ball in clutch situations.  We need a quarterback with a short memory and who will sling it no matter what.  I like Bielema but I don't agree with a lot of his decisions.  If he is going to be a CEO coach, then he needs to let the OC handle the offense and the quarterback.
Very good point and the fact he's a senior and should be winning ball games or pulling out ball games at the last minute instead of losing them?
GeorgiaHOG

hawgon

We've all heard BB say that we don't need Brandon to superstar, just to manage the game, lead the huddle, and get us in and out of good plays.  So, with that said, why is it time and again for the last two years that the game comes down to BA making a play in the 4th quarter?  Why does the coaching staff say one thing, and presumably teach it, only to coach the game so that in the 4th quarter it is all on BA's shoulders over and over?

Quit trying to run out the darned clock with a 7 or 8 point lead just play football!!!  And no, I'm talking about going Jim Chaney and lining up in the shotgun for three plays in a row when all we really need to do is run some clock.  I'm talking about slipping in a few passes here and there in running situations to keep the defense off balance.  I'm talking about when you have second and two inches, go for the throat instead of a three yard run into the teeth of the defense.  And do it out of a running formation instead of the shotgun with an empty set.

Steef

Quote from: hawgon on September 30, 2015, 09:16:26 am
We've all heard BB say that we don't need Brandon to superstar, just to manage the game, lead the huddle, and get us in and out of good plays.  So, with that said, why is it time and again for the last two years that the game comes down to BA making a play in the 4th quarter?  Why does the coaching staff say one thing, and presumably teach it, only to coach the game so that in the 4th quarter it is all on BA's shoulders over and over?

Quit trying to run out the darned clock with a 7 or 8 point lead just play football!!!  And no, I'm talking about going Jim Chaney and lining up in the shotgun for three plays in a row when all we really need to do is run some clock.  I'm talking about slipping in a few passes here and there in running situations to keep the defense off balance.  I'm talking about when you have second and two inches, go for the throat instead of a three yard run into the teeth of the defense.  And do it out of a running formation instead of the shotgun with an empty set.

This.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgon on September 30, 2015, 09:23:24 am
And one more thing about the way BB coaches, how is it going to be when the man gets some real pressure if we are this timid in the 4th quarter now.  I mean, crap, the man has the unwavering support of his AD and a $15.4 million buyout.  He is and should feel bullet proof.  He should be coaching and we should be playing fast and loose. 

It doesn't matter who the coach of our team is.  I don't care if it is Bill Belichek.  If all of our SEC games are decided by 10 points or less, the BEST we will ever do is go .500 in conference.  You've got to be able to blow some people out and score, and then hang on in the close ones.  But if they are all close, most years you're going to lose more than you win.  The grind is just too hard.

I can't fathom a coach in D1 athletics thinking about his buyout or salary in crunch time in a big game. Not ever. Plenty of things to be thinking about besides that.

Actually, I want my coach to feel bulletproof. Then, they aren't second guessing themselves.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

GuvHog

Quote from: steefhog on September 29, 2015, 10:45:01 am
We know.

We know BA has had some issues.

And we for sure know how you feel about it.

I checked your post history. The first page, anyway. Out of 97 posts, the first 50 ALL...are complaints and/or smart remarks.

Not one constructive thing to say.

I suggest you read more and post less.

BA still has issues. The good thing about it though, is he knows that and is trying hard to correct them. I hope he succeeds.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

All I care to hear is that we BEAT TINNER!