Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When do you Structure a $15 Million Buyout for a Coach?

Started by WilsonHog, September 27, 2015, 12:04:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2015, 05:44:02 pm
Well, my info comes from the top, so we shall see.
Gotta love those Hogville sources! What do these guys at the top say about his off the field activities by chance? Squeaky clean?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 27, 2015, 05:46:36 pm
Gotta love those Hogville sources! What do these guys at the top say about his off the field activities by chance? Squeaky clean?

I wouldn't have any idea.

ricepig

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2015, 05:44:02 pm
Well, my info comes from the top, so we shall see.

No questioning your info, I know where it comes from and it's pristine.....but it still doesn't make me feel any better.  :)

WilsonHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 27, 2015, 05:45:27 pm
Right...

Let's suppose we go 2-10 and there is no change.

What will your take on it be then?

hoglady

Quote from: lefty08 on September 27, 2015, 02:45:46 pm

Thats also a concern with no buyout. Believe it or not, Bielema was a wanted man, hell, many programs would still take him in a heartbeat. What better way to ensuyre stability than with a buyout?  It is something that programs have to do nowadays. Its like complaining over his salary. Look at all the salaries in this league and realize its basically a necessity

Bielema can walk anytime he wants.
His side of the buyout is manageable for any program he might want to bolt to.
I think as of Jan 1 it's only 3 million.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hawgon

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 06:14:24 pm

Not much since I said "might" instead of definitely.  But if he goes 2-10, he'll have to win eight or nine next year to make year five of his coaching tenure at Arkansas.  On the other hand, he MIGHT get fired after 2-10 since that will more or less be the worst that any coach has ever done at Arkansas.

WorfHog

lefty08

Quote from: hawgon on September 27, 2015, 04:20:41 pm
You do realize that the buyout is only one way don't you?  His buyout if he chooses to leave is less than a year's salary and goes down by $500k every year.  On the other hand if it is necessary to fire him, the buyout won't be below $10 million until 2020.

This has to be the most unequal contract in the history of coaching.

Im aware, Im also aware that Bielema wants to be the head coach of the razorbacks, as evidenced by his buy out
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hoghearted

Quote from: lefty08 on September 27, 2015, 07:42:02 pm
Im aware, Im also aware that Bielema wants to be the head coach of the razorbacks, as evidenced by his buy out

seems to me the buyout is more evidence of Long's desire for Bielema to be head coach, than vice versa.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

chortle

Quickdraw

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 12:04:18 pm
When you have no intention of it ever being an issue.

Think about it this way. What if Bielema really is Jeff Long's guy, and Long has given him five or six years...results in year 3 be darned? Lot of folks getting their blood pressure up for nothing.

Maybe, in a microwave world, Long has decided to take an old-school approach.

Any one with an average brain wouldn't make such a deal with a coach who lost the rose bowl twice. But our AD made a deal that no coach in there right mind would turn down. A 15 mil buyout regardless of my performance is a gift from heaven....

How you pay out 15 mil is endure it and not renew his contract.

lefty08

Quote from: Quickdraw on September 27, 2015, 07:52:20 pm
Any one with an average brain wouldn't make such a deal with a coach who lost the rose bowl twice. But our AD made a deal that no coach in there right mind would turn down. A 15 mil buyout regardless of my performance is a gift from heaven....

How you pay out 15 mil is endure it and not renew his contract.

Thats kind of the point. He is sewn up and will be a Hog for awhile
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Hogsolo

I doubt we would have gotten CBB without an appropriate buy out. 

lefty08

Quote from: IAMHogholio on September 27, 2015, 08:04:53 pm

Exactly, how do you convince him to leave where he was for the mess we had without a good deal

Torqued pork

It's a ridiculously one-sided contract to be offered from a program that we constantly hear has a fairly modest ceiling.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Dr. Pepper on September 27, 2015, 05:07:47 pm
Toledo and Texas Tech are in the SEC?

BTW, the SEC West in 2010 and 2011 was better than it is now.

No point in arguing with you if really believe that.  It was top heavy, and that's about it in those years. 

I get it...you and many others think we should cut bait now.  The bail out is huge, but I also think that there was some knowledge that if necessary, they could absorb the buyout.  I don't think it's unimaginable that they would fire him if he ends up with 2-3 wins this season, but I think it would be highly unlikely. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ricepig

Just think, if we hadn't beat LSU and OM, then it would have only cost $9.6m after Dec 31, 2015.  The new amount came from the renegotiated extension.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2015, 08:20:45 pm
Just think, if we hadn't beat LSU and OM, then it would have only cost $9.6m after Dec 31, 2015.  The new amount came from the renegotiated extension.
This is big. How do you get an extention with 10 wins in 2 years. And with most other coaches buyouts being in the 2-4 mil. range where does 15 + mil come from to beginwith. And just who all approved that and a extention that effectively could have cost us 6 mil alone ???

lefty08

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 27, 2015, 08:28:12 pm
This is big. How do you get an extention with 10 wins in 2 years. And with most other coaches buyouts being in the 2-4 mil. range where does 15 + mil come from to beginwith. And just who all approved that and a extention that effectively could have cost us 6 mil alone ???

The people who approved that are the same people who will decide whether or not he is the coach, let that sink in for a minute

Dr. Pepper

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 27, 2015, 08:18:44 pm
No point in arguing with you if really believe that.  It was top heavy, and that's about it in those years. 

I get it...you and many others think we should cut bait now.  The bail out is huge, but I also think that there was some knowledge that if necessary, they could absorb the buyout.  I don't think it's unimaginable that they would fire him if he ends up with 2-3 wins this season, but I think it would be highly unlikely.

The West in 2010 had 5 teams finish the year in the top 15.  2011 had two of the best teams college football has seen, we were in the top 5, MSU/Auburn weren't awful.
:razorback:   :razorback:   :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: lefty08 on September 27, 2015, 08:29:49 pm
The people who approved that are the same people who will decide whether or not he is the coach, let that sink in for a minute

That seems to fall on deaf ears. His original contract had the first three years at $12.4m I believe, so it wasn't a $6m jump from the original contract.

pigskenG

personally, except for the W-L record so far, I am totally behind Coach Bielema. I like what he does, I like what he says, I like how he handles his players, and I love his style of play. I was worried before he was hired that we might end up with a 'spread offense' guy. Every time I see the other team hold up poster pictures so their team will know the play call, really strikes me a 'jr high school'. I head the other day that Robert Griffin III can't read defenses or go through a progression on a pass play. Kind of strikes me a odd for a 1st round draft pick. Is this what they're going to?
If coach and his staff have a weakness it's (1) in recruiting. We need some 5* guys to help turn things around sooner.
Allen, Kirk, & Garrett on TA&M were all 5* recruits. Tennessee has six 5* recruits on their team. We have 0.
Another thing that coach likes to do (and this is really a good thing) is he will give scholarships to walkons that have worked hard at practice and deserve it. Some teams (TN for example) seem to have a 'house cleaning' at the end of the season, including 3* and 4* recruits, and then use the scholarships to oversign the following Feb.(I found sixteen  3* and 4* players that left their program since Oct 2013) Plus they offer at least twice as many scholarships as we do (can't believe they see all the players before they offer).  Sounds to me like it's don't care about the kid, we want to win now.  I thought about who I would like to be the head coach if CBB left . . . .can't think of anyone better.   JMO.

bigbadhog

Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Different point, but I wonder if BB wishes he had stayed in Wisconsin.

UAROCKDOG

Guys don't give up.  We are ahead of schedule.   This is just year 3.   Give him one more year.    Long is the one that needs a new contract.

ricepig

lefty08

WilsonHog

Quote from: lefty08 on September 27, 2015, 08:29:49 pm

Now that is an overlooked point. Everyone is pointing the finger at Jeff Long as if he was the only one who had to sign off on that extension.

So...who else did?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2015, 08:59:02 pm
Good for you, want a cookie?
Wayne said last nite that we had the cookies but were out of milk.Back in the Nuttzzi days Hogville always offered cookies or maybe that was the darkside.

ricepig

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 09:03:59 pm
Now that is an overlooked point. Everyone is pointing the finger at Jeff Long as if he was the only one who had to sign off on that extension.

So...who else did?

Like all contracts involving coaches, the BOT, the RF, and the Administration.

chortle

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 27, 2015, 08:15:13 pm
It's a ridiculously one-sided contract to be offered from a program that we constantly hear has a fairly modest ceiling.

That is an excellent point. Why wrap up all that money if there are only expectations for mediocrity anyway?

WilsonHog

September 27, 2015, 09:23:35 pm #134 Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:36:41 pm by Tom Bennett
Quote from: ricepig on September 27, 2015, 09:11:56 pm
Like all contracts involving coaches, the BOT, the RF, and the Administration.

Oh, so you mean to tell me that the people some posters expect to fire Jeff Long are...the same people who approved the contract extension those posters use as part of their reasons for why he should be fired?

Okie doke.

lefty08

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 09:23:35 pm
Oh, so you mean to tell me that the people some posters want to fire Jeff Long are...the same ones who approved the contract extension those same people use as part of their reasons for why he should be fired?

Reckon who fires them there people, Bill?

I had to read that 3 times, but yes

:D

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 09:23:35 pm
Oh, so you mean to tell me that the people some posters want to fire Jeff Long are...the same ones who approved the contract extension those same people use as part of their reasons for why he should be fired?

Reckon who fires them there people, Bill?
Looks like a vicious well conceived circle. Butt covering at its finest.

WilsonHog

lefty08

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 09:37:37 pm
Yeah, that was bad. I cleaned it up.  :)

Good cause I almost had to take notes to break it down. Haha

Justagp

Hoggish1

Quote from: spiritof92 on September 27, 2015, 12:06:48 pm
Five years is a given since the program was in shambles.  I just expected to see gradual improvement every season rather than a decline in season 3.

It's not over till it's over...

EastexHawg

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 06:14:24 pm

My take will be that retaining a coach who by that time would be 2-22 in SEC play and 12-25 overall would be an absolute disgrace for a program that was in the Sugar Bowl five years ago and finished in the top five four years ago.

What will your take be?

WilsonHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 27, 2015, 10:09:21 pm
My take will be that retaining a coach who by that time would be 2-22 in SEC play and 12-25 overall would be an absolute disgrace for a program that was in the Sugar Bowl five years ago and finished in the top five four years ago.

What will your take be?

That the people who make those decisions chose to keep him at least one more year.

chortle

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 10:11:53 pm
That the people who make those decisions chose to keep him at least one more year.

And should have their collective heads examined.

hoglady

That wasn't his original buyout - when his contract was extended at the end of last year the buyout was increased - that's a National Championship coach's buyout - a Les Miles / Saban buy out.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogarusa

Fans are mostly clueless so if Bielema says it would take 5-6 years then so be it.  It's been 23 years without a title so I can wait another 2-3 years if needed. Coaching changes don't always work out, I am
a fan of stability
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

DLUXHOG

I am sure, that CBB looked carefully at our fanbase and said to himself, "man, they are batsh!t crazy, so I had better get a substantial buyout to even things out so that I have time to develop my program..."...........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ImHogginIt

Well if attendance drops next year by 10-15 thousand a game as well as donations by many RF members I can see easily losing 5 + million in revenue next year and again the year after. I doubt he's gonna get canned this year but what if we go 0-8 in conference this year. How can anyone reasonably expect us to believe he is the right man for the job if that happens ? Cut your losses now and move on if we are winless in SEC play. I know that won't happen but that's what I think should happen.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: UAROCKDOG on September 27, 2015, 08:56:01 pm
Guys don't give up.  We are ahead of schedule.   This is just year 3.   Give him one more year.    Long is the one that needs a new contract.

OK I chortled out loud reading this. Thanks I needed that  ;D