Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When do you Structure a $15 Million Buyout for a Coach?

Started by WilsonHog, September 27, 2015, 12:04:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

When you have no intention of it ever being an issue.

Think about it this way. What if Bielema really is Jeff Long's guy, and Long has given him five or six years...results in year 3 be darned? Lot of folks getting their blood pressure up for nothing.

Maybe, in a microwave world, Long has decided to take an old-school approach.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

spiritof92

Five years is a given since the program was in shambles.  I just expected to see gradual improvement every season rather than a decline in season 3.

hawginbigd1

TB I think you are correct, Long wanted stability for the program 1st and foremost, coming from where we were at. I don't believe he thought we would be so inept at winning close games.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

WilsonHog

Quote from: hoghearted on September 27, 2015, 12:05:01 pm
so results be darned?

For the time being, pretty much.

If Bret convinced Long that it would take 5-6 years, then I think those fans letting current results get to them are worrying for nothing.

spiritof92

It's not just wins and losses.  It is the actual play on the field that concerns me.

CareBear

Quote from: spiritof92 on September 27, 2015, 12:06:48 pm
Five years is a given since the program was in shambles.  I just expected to see gradual improvement every season rather than a decline in season 3.
The program wasn't in shambles. That's a misnomer and yet another excuse or deflection technique. CBB has never built a program. It's becoming more evident as time goes by. No two/days, No QB comp,slow &plodding team, lack of any in-game adjustments in 3yrs.

Hogwild

September 27, 2015, 12:17:04 pm #8 Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:46:20 pm by Hogwild
QuoteWhen do you Structure a $15 Million Buyout for a Coach?

After they have won a national championship. Saban and Miles get $15 million buyouts.
Butch Jones has a $2 million buyout, Kevin Sumlin has a $5 million buyout, Gus's has $2.2 million per year remaining buyout ($6.6 if fired after 2016 season)

Who is our Coach?

We have a losing mentality.  Bielema, support him or hate him, has failed to develop a winning one. More than Xs and Os, more than recruiting, more than anything, a coach must get his team to believe and expect to win.  We expect to lose and grab the first soft spot to land.  Last night, as soon as Kirkland false started, the game was over.  It's the most difficult but most imperative job a head coach has.  And why the best ones command so much money.  Bielema has failed on this front so far.  Hope he can turn it around, but the evidence is not encouraging.  Sad, hard truth.

PonderinHog

Inhogswetrust

so results be darned?

That depends on how you COMPLETELY measure results....................Maybe there were more issues than simply wins and losses...........Besides even if it is entirely wins and losses then other variables and factors contribute to the number of wins and losses.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoglady

The problem is if we don't start winning some games how many of our verbal commits for 2016 stick with us? I will be worried about that. They committed thinking we were on our way up, not that we were taking 1 step forward and 4 steps back.
Having a horrible year and showing no improvement has an impact past this one year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogcard1964

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 12:04:18 pm

Think about it this way. What if Bielema really is Jeff Long's guy, and Long has given him five or six years...results in year 3 be darned? Lot of folks getting their blood pressure up for nothing.

He's going nowhere.  Bielema could continue to choke, be caught in a love triangle with a pit bull and Hillary Clinton, be caught clubbing a baby seal and he'd still get a pass. 

"Yea, one more year."

Athog

Quote from: CareBear on September 27, 2015, 12:15:53 pm
The program wasn't in shambles. That's a misnomer and yet another excuse or deflection technique. CBB has never built a program. It's becoming more evident as time goes by. No two/days, No QB comp,slow &plodding team, lack of any in-game adjustments in 3yrs.

Disagree! Program and morale wherein the crapper. Let's not make like things were good.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 12:11:16 pm

If Bret convinced Long that it would take 5-6 years, then I think those fans letting current results get to them are worrying for nothing.

But the BP man lovers don't like this at all. And will blow up this board every time we don't win an SEC championship game.
This is my non-signature signature.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 27, 2015, 12:23:13 pm
But the BP man lovers don't like this at all. And will blow up this board every time we don't win an SEC championship game.

Remind me when BP won an SEC championship ............Oops never mind............he didn't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

so results be darned?

Nobody cares about wins or poor recruiting.  It's just not important. 

Oliver

I think a lot of people realize this.  My question is should Long's future hires expect the same treatment?  If not, why?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 27, 2015, 12:24:12 pm
Remind me when BP won an SEC championship ............Oops never mind............he didn't.

Exactly, but it was more interesting for those "fans" with ADHD who need the ball thrown around 50 times a game to stay interested.
This is my non-signature signature.

ChitownHawg

Yep I'm pretty sure Jeff isn't coming on here to see how I'm reacting. So my complaining is merely to release that high blood pressure. It's what us old cantankerous farts do.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

spiritof92

Yes, the program was a dumpster fire after the motorcycle incident combined with a season of John L. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: spiritof92 on September 27, 2015, 12:30:07 pm
Yes, the program was a dumpster fire after the motorcycle incident combined with a season of John L.

And it's just as bad right now.

spiritof92

It's like some people here can only read half of posts or something. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: spiritof92 on September 27, 2015, 12:32:49 pm
It's like some people here can only read half of posts or something.

Dang and I got stuck with the half that had mine and your posts. Crap this world!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

East TN HAWG

The program was in shambles when CBB was hired.  I'm sure Long was confident that CBB was the man.  He had just been to multiple Rose Bowls.  Long wanted stability.  He did not want what has occurred at TN. 

CBB screwed up in the summer, and now we are paying for it.  Our younger players needed the reps, so we could build depth.  Hopefully we will catch back up this fall.

hoglady

A&M beat us with a true soph QB and a freakish freshman talent in Kirk.
As Sumlin has said - his best players this year are his freshman.
If you can recruit a few play makers it sure takes some pressure off having to play perfect all the time to win.
Can't win in the SEC unless you have playmakers - we have none that can or do change a game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

spiritof92

Quote from: East TN HAWG on September 27, 2015, 12:35:25 pm
The program was in shambles when CBB was hired.  I'm sure Long was confident that CBB was the man.  He had just been to multiple Rose Bowls.  Long wanted stability.  He did not want what has occurred at TN. 

CBB screwed up in the summer, and now we are paying for it.  Our younger players needed the reps, so we could build depth.  Hopefully we will catch back up this fall.

Yeah, main problem with the defense is youth and some holes at certain positions.  Offensively they simply asked the O-line to do more than they are capable of doing starting out and it showed.  If you want to run traps, horns, screens, ect... with these bulldozers you'll get what we got early on.  Moving Kirkland out to LT to allow for all this was a bad idea and one that they have mitigated by getting back to their straightforward blocking rather than pulling, pulling...

All this can be fixed but the attempt at offensive creativity at the beginning of the season has put them in a hole.

ricepig

Reps?? What about no two a days in pads don't some people understand? We repped, just not in shorts and helmets.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogwild on September 27, 2015, 12:17:04 pm
After they have won a national championship. Saban and Miles get $15 million buyouts.
Butch Davis has a $2 million buyout, Kevin Sumlin has a $5 million buyout, Gus's has $2.2 million per year remaining buyout ($6.6 if fired after 2016 season)
There ya go. Best post in the thread.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogwild on September 27, 2015, 12:17:04 pm
Butch Davis has a $2 million buyout, Kevin Sumlin has a $5 million buyout, Gus's has $2.2 million per year remaining buyout ($6.6 if fired after 2016 season)

Not exactly apples/oranges.  You don't stay at the Waldorf-Astoria for the price of Red Roof Inn.  All those schools are much easier to build a program at than UA and there are a lot of factors as to why that is the case.

To get a top coach, JL probably needed to dangle a pretty big apple.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Short of a live boy or a dead girl, there's zero chance he's fired in the next two years.

ricepig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 27, 2015, 12:58:30 pm
Not exactly apples/oranges.  You don't stay at the Waldorf-Astoria for the price of Red Roof Inn.  All those schools are much easier to build a program at than UA and there are a lot of factors as to why that is the case.

To get a top coach, JL probably needed to dangle a pretty big apple.

Correct, it wasn't as easy a sell as our fans think.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Karma on September 27, 2015, 01:01:15 pm
Short of a live boy or a dead girl, there's zero chance he's fired in the next two years.

Lol!
He's here to stay. 

HogimusMaximus

Next time my boss complains about my work I will tell him it will be 5-6 years before he will see better results and improvement.  I hope I get that promotion.

ricepig

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 27, 2015, 01:11:54 pm
Next time my boss complains about my work I will tell him it will be 5-6 years before he will see better results and improvement.  I hope I get that promotion.

See, there's your problem, the boss isn't complaining.

Locutus_of_Boar

Assuming you are right about Long's perspective Long needs to clue CBB in to acting like he knows it will all work out in the end...as he did last season.  That postgame last night was a coach without a clue why his team repeats the same self-destruct mode over and over.  We can all speculate on some of the reasons why we think they fail but unless CBB decides to start more obvious efforts to find fixes he needs to do a better selling job that his was is the right way.  Otherwise at the end of that five years there is not going to be anybody setting in RRS other than him, Jeff Long, and a handful of parents.

tophawg19

what part of our losses don't you people get . The aggies are number 14 and on the rise . they are a very good team that may win the west. Anyone who doesn't think T-TECH  is good is foolish and not watching football at all . they should have beaten TCU  WHO IS TOP 5 NO MATTER WHAT POLE. Toledo is better than everyone thought and will be a bowl team. we gave that one and the T A & M games away with mistakes and penalties . Although even the ref in the booth said we got some bad calls in the A & M GAME . this team is steadiy improving but they face a killer schedule . everyone on the list is tough and going to be a battle . it's going to be this way every year so get used to it or find a team in a weak conference. Ole miss struggled with Vandy , that's just the way things go in this conference we are young on defense and will have to grow quickly
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogcard1964

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 27, 2015, 01:25:56 pm
what part of our losses don't you people get . The aggies are number 14 and on the rise . they are a very good team that may win the west. Anyone who doesn't think T-TECH  is good is foolish and not watching football at all . they should have beaten TCU  WHO IS TOP 5 NO MATTER WHAT POLE. Toledo is better than everyone thought and will be a bowl team. we gave that one and the T A & M games away with mistakes and penalties . Although even the ref in the booth said we got some bad calls in the A & M GAME . this team is steadiy improving but they face a killer schedule . everyone on the list is tough and going to be a battle . it's going to be this way every year so get used to it or find a team in a weak conference. Ole miss struggled with Vandy , that's just the way things go in this conference we are young on defense and will have to grow quickly

Arkansas should never lose to Toledo.   I don't care if we're playing with 7 players.  This is something that should never happen.

Mr. Porkleone

You have no clue. As a former football coach in NAIA, it's easy for a fan to judge. Razorback football was set years back after Petrino.  Have patience. It will come

Danny J

Program was in really bad shape when CBP arrived also. Look at all we lost after the 07 season. We had Dick as our starting QB with a bunch of young receivers. Didn't take CBP that long to turn it around. By year three look where we were. We are in year 3 under CBB and we are going the wrong way.

It doesn't always take 4 plus years to turn things around. It can and should be done sooner if we are paying 4m per season and given full authority to hire your own coaches, do what it take financially to secure them and basically get to do everything your own way without any meddling. That is what CBB has been given which is a lot more than other programs give their new hires.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Danny J on September 27, 2015, 01:54:21 pm
Program was in really bad shape when CBP arrived also. Look at all we lost after the 07 season. We had Dick as our starting QB with a bunch of young receivers. Didn't take CBP that long to turn it around. By year three look where we were. We are in year 3 under CBB and we are going the wrong way.

It doesn't always take 4 plus years to turn things around. It can and should be done sooner if we are paying 4m per season and given full authority to hire your own coaches, do what it take financially to secure them and basically get to do everything your own way without any meddling. That is what CBB has been given which is a lot more than other programs give their new hires.

It has been speculated that Alvarez meddled more than CBB liked...maybe some supervision by a mentor is needed?  I have no clue, but I don't think JL is CBB's football mentor.

HogimusMaximus

You can stuff your patience in a sock.  We aren't Toledo, we are the by darned Razorbacks.  You act like we should just stick it out...well I will.  Bt I would like improvement not regression.  It doesn't always have to get worse before it gets better, that isn't a truism, but rather a hackneyed phrase employed by those that accept mediocrity.

LZH

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 27, 2015, 02:02:36 pm
You can stuff your patience in a sock.  We aren't Toledo, we are the by darned Razorbacks.  You act like we should just stick it out...well I will.  Bt I would like improvement not regression.  It doesn't always have to get worse before it gets better, that isn't a truism, but rather a hackneyed phrase employed by those that accept mediocrity.

+1000000

Dr. Pepper

Quote from: spiritof92 on September 27, 2015, 12:30:07 pm

Don't badmouth JLS.  He won as many conference games in 1 year as Saint Bielema has won in 3.
:razorback:   :razorback:   :razorback:

hogcard1964

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 27, 2015, 02:02:36 pm

It's going to get worse.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 27, 2015, 02:10:04 pm
It's going to get worse.

In the short term, probably.  Do you think it is in game coaching, player evaluation, or player development?  Think the media will be intellectually honest and tell us that though?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 27, 2015, 01:25:56 pm

How did TT out recruit us to get so much better in a single year??? I been to Lubbock it a waste land compared to NWA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Tom Bennett on September 27, 2015, 12:11:16 pm

So you wouldn't make any changes?

rude1

I would call that a dumb AD. A good AD always hedges his bets on his new coaches leaving himself an out in the very likelihood that it doesn't workout and you are forced to make a move and replace the coach. In no way should you lock yourself to a coach who hasn't produced anything and is in the process of setting new lows for your program. I can't think of a single other AD who has done this without seeing some on the field results before hand.