Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are NOT "Snakebit" or "Cursed"

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, September 26, 2015, 10:10:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

phadedhawg

To the OP it's hard to not feel snakebit.  When the Sternover happened I accepted it.  Thru the years nothing has persuaded me that we aren't cursed.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 28, 2015, 01:46:54 am
DJ...you look for the negatives.  It's your nature for whatever reason.  You're leading the charge for the ouster for CBB, and it's  not going to work.  He's going to get to prove it if he can't lead this team to at least 8 wins by year 5. 

I am not a negative person by nature, but you might be right about leaning a bit too much on the negative side when it comes to the state of our football team.  It started with the Nutt years - but I've honestly tried to hang in there with BB, in spite of disliking his offensive philosophy - which I really do see as a personal preference, bc I think his philosophy can win....but it's not happening here, we are regressing and it's losing us ball games that we should easily win.

But I do like hearing differing opinions, and some of yours are logical/rational and persuasive.  I respect that.  That's what made me go from, "Oh crap, Nutt 2.0!" when BB was first hired to, "Well, maybe this IS a guy that can win with that style here". 

I've been nothing but positive about CBB until the Toledo loss.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

DeltaBoy

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 28, 2015, 02:01:04 pm
To the OP it's hard to not feel snakebit.  When the Sternover happened I accepted it.  Thru the years nothing has persuaded me that we aren't cursed.

I go back to 1969 and the Preston Zebra Liberty Bowl loss to Tinner.

Look at the Game against Fla in the SEC champion game. Mark Curles crew shafts us , Fish Fumbles and we are
OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 28, 2015, 02:20:22 pm
I am not a negative person by nature, but you might be right about leaning a bit too much on the negative side when it comes to the state of our football team.  It started with the Nutt years - but I've honestly tried to hang in there with BB, in spite of disliking his offensive philosophy - which I really do see as a personal preference, bc I think his philosophy can win....but it's not happening here, we are regressing and it's losing us ball games that we should easily win.

But I do like hearing differing opinions, and some of yours are logical/rational and persuasive.  I respect that.  That's what made me go from, "Oh crap, Nutt 2.0!" when BB was first hired to, "Well, maybe this IS a guy that can win with that style here". 

I've been nothing but positive about CBB until the Toledo loss.

And DJ, I think most of us felt the same way last year when the season ended.  Just remember, OU lost to Boise St. back in the day and at the time it was thought of as a monumental upset.  But...as it turned out, Boise St. was a program on the rise BIG TIME, and they beat a lot of teams they had no business beating. 

Toledo and Texas Tech both had QB's that ate our lunch...they were good players.  Offensively, we played those games without our previous identity.

We lost to TAMU because of dumb penalties.  I agree..they are coming from primarily the same two players, who shall remain nameless, but that has to stop even if it means benching them until they can prove they can stop them.  There were also some badly missed blocks by some others, which needs to be addressed.  We can't afford to take plays off.  It was a collective failure to do enough to win the game, including a QB that lacks the confidence that we're going to win. 

I still see reasons for hope, and those are rational reasons why I want to see more. 

Admittedly, what we don't know is whether or not this team is losing close games because we're not measuring up coaching wise, or if it's just that we need an ever so slight upgrade in talent coupled with less mistakes that will turn close games into double digit wins for us.  Last year, we watched the team mature and do just that...win handily against Ole Miss and LSU. 

I could cite evidence of why I'm concerned that it won't turn around, and why it will.  Unlike many others, I just haven't seen enough to give up yet.  Had we lost another 50-13 game against TAMU, then I'd have less reason for hope, but we showed that we can still compete even against SEC teams.  So...let's see how it plays out.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 28, 2015, 03:34:07 pm
And DJ, I think most of us felt the same way last year when the season ended.  Just remember, OU lost to Boise St. back in the day and at the time it was thought of as a monumental upset.  But...as it turned out, Boise St. was a program on the rise BIG TIME, and they beat a lot of teams they had no business beating. 

Toledo and Texas Tech both had QB's that ate our lunch...they were good players.  Offensively, we played those games without our previous identity.

We lost to TAMU because of dumb penalties.  I agree..they are coming from primarily the same two players, who shall remain nameless, but that has to stop even if it means benching them until they can prove they can stop them.  There were also some badly missed blocks by some others, which needs to be addressed.  We can't afford to take plays off.  It was a collective failure to do enough to win the game, including a QB that lacks the confidence that we're going to win. 

I still see reasons for hope, and those are rational reasons why I want to see more. 

Admittedly, what we don't know is whether or not this team is losing close games because we're not measuring up coaching wise, or if it's just that we need an ever so slight upgrade in talent coupled with less mistakes that will turn close games into double digit wins for us.  Last year, we watched the team mature and do just that...win handily against Ole Miss and LSU. 

I could cite evidence of why I'm concerned that it won't turn around, and why it will.  Unlike many others, I just haven't seen enough to give up yet.  Had we lost another 50-13 game against TAMU, then I'd have less reason for hope, but we showed that we can still compete even against SEC teams.  So...let's see how it plays out.     

Good stuff.  In spite of my opinions, obviously I still want us to win every game we play and get better.  So we can agree on that.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 27, 2015, 05:02:58 pm
No, because of an injury. What does that have to do with BB's terrible record here? 

Why make it personal?  This is a football message board for fans to share opinions about the football program, not what level of football they played, or if they played at all.

Just asking because a lot of people that are great at NCAA 2015 Football think all we have to do is push turbo or whatever on our players.  Wouldn't you want to know whether I was offering an informed opinion or just speaking out of my rear end?

SamBuckhart

I was born into an OU/TX family. Dad ou, mom tx.  In the 50's OU ruled college football with great coaching. Different world from today. Their favorite child turned out to be a HOG fan. I am also a fan of CBB. I like that we are different from most other teams.  I like that we are building for the future. I am tired about all the tiddy baby whining when we lose a game. We are in a conference where the proximity to the NFL is not far. The idea that we are entitled to win because of our spending or our star recruits or our shiny new coaches is laughable. I'm not laughing. I hate to lose. I love the HOGS. I hate LSU. Wait, I digress. What is the answer to our problems? We are not snakebit or cursed. Unrealistic expectations too quickly. IMO YES. Fewer injuries would be nice too. Did I mention that I hate Tenner. Confession time. I hate them all. Sam I freakin Am. Wooo Pig! ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on September 29, 2015, 03:59:53 pm
Just asking because a lot of people that are great at NCAA 2015 Football think all we have to do is push turbo or whatever on our players.  Wouldn't you want to know whether I was offering an informed opinion or just speaking out of my rear end?

Not really.  Even the experts get it wrong.  I enjoy reading all opinions, whether someone has a lot of football experience or not.  I definitely don't think someone who shares an opinion should be called out bc of their past experience or lack of.  That's when it crosses the line into poster-bashing.

PorkRinds

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 29, 2015, 05:18:18 pm
Not really.  Even the experts get it wrong.  I enjoy reading all opinions, whether someone has a lot of football experience or not.  I definitely don't think someone who shares an opinion should be called out bc of their past experience or lack of.  That's when it crosses the line into poster-bashing.

It's not poster bashing to point out that someone who has played the position, or even the game itself has more insight than someone who has never stepped foot on the field. Doesn't make your opinions invalid, but it does tend to give someone more credence if they've played the game before.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2015, 06:23:28 pm
It's not poster bashing to point out that someone who has played the position, or even the game itself has more insight than someone who has never stepped foot on the field. Doesn't make your opinions invalid, but it does tend to give someone more credence if they've he game before.

Yep, but when it's all said and done...we miss out two DE's, MLB, and our #1 TB from last year.  Would we be 4-0 with them?  Probably not, but we wouldn't be where we are now.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on September 29, 2015, 06:28:08 pm
Yep, but when it's all said and done...we miss out two DE's, MLB, and our #1 TB from last year.  Would we be 4-0 with them?  Probably not, but we wouldn't be where we are now.

Well, yes. But I'm not sure how that relates to what I said.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2015, 06:31:42 pm
Well, yes. But I'm not sure how that relates to what I said.

It doesn't, really...I was just on a roll!                               :P

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2015, 06:23:28 pm
It's not poster bashing to point out that someone who has played the position, or even the game itself has more insight than someone who has never stepped foot on the field. Doesn't make your opinions invalid, but it does tend to give someone more credence if they've played the game before.

I agree.  But to call them out and have a football *beep* measuring contest on a FAN message board is just dumb.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 29, 2015, 07:33:41 pm
I agree.  But to call them out and have a football *beep* measuring contest on a FAN message board is just dumb.

So you can share your opinion but me offering an opinion is dumb?  Got it?

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on October 01, 2015, 11:44:17 pm
So you can share your opinion but me offering an opinion is dumb?  Got it?

Telling someone their opinion doesn't matter on a fan message board IS dumb, and makes it personal.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 02, 2015, 10:04:47 am
Telling someone their opinion doesn't matter on a fan message board IS dumb, and makes it personal.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on October 02, 2015, 12:42:25 pm
I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

You didn't.  It's just not cool to pick on posters with different opinions by making fun of them because of the level of football they've played or coached.

DeltaBoy

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 02, 2015, 03:59:23 pm
You didn't.  It's just not cool to pick on posters with different opinions by making fun of them because of the level of football they've played or coached.

By you saying its not cool to pick on someone, that makes me think I hurt your feelings.  I apologized, even if I didn't hurt your feelings...can this be the last post.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 26, 2015, 10:14:10 pm
The same darn happens every year. We ARE snakebit and cursed.

No. We're simply who we are. We all want some sort of magic potion that gets us an elite coach and elite recruits so we'll the program we all want to be.

It simply isn't going to happen.
Go away, batin'

farmhawg

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 26, 2015, 10:21:00 pm
I'm satisfied with the effort by the players.  Our coaches are just not at good as the others.  Period.
True
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!