Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women's Basketball Schedule

Started by LadybackBBFan, September 23, 2016, 06:26:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LadybackBBFan

The complete women's basketball schedule for 2016 - 17 is out.  13 non-conference games - toughest home game is Texas Tech and toughest road game is either Tulsa or Missouri State.  Anything less than 11 - 2 record would be failure. 

Conference schedule opens at Ole Miss on January 1.  We play Missouri, LSU and Vanderbilt twice.  9-7 or 10-6 is what I expect from this club.  Should make the NCAA if JD is really a good coach? :razorback:

nwahogfan1

The complete women's basketball schedule for 2016 - 17 is out.  13 non-conference games - toughest home game is Texas Tech and toughest road game is either Tulsa or Missouri State.  Anything less than 11 - 2 record would be failure. 

Conference schedule opens at Ole Miss on January 1.  We play Missouri, LSU and Vanderbilt twice.  9-7 or 10-6 is what I expect from this club.  Should make the NCAA if JD is really a good coach? :razorback:
[/quote]

Is this based on what is coming back or on who we play?  I have some questions for you?  Who besides Jackson will score  more than 10 ppg?  Do we have a true PG who has leadership skills the team looks too and will have close to 2 assists to TOs?  Will we be able to close out those close games and not give them away?  Is the maturity and players in place this year?  Do we have a player to average 8 rpg? 

I agree we should be better this year but I am just not sure how much better.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on September 23, 2016, 09:02:02 am

Is this based on what is coming back or on who we play?  I have some questions for you?  Who besides Jackson will score  more than 10 ppg?  Do we have a true PG who has leadership skills the team looks too and will have close to 2 assists to TOs?  Will we be able to close out those close games and not give them away?  Is the maturity and players in place this year?  Do we have a player to average 8 rpg? 

I agree we should be better this year but I am just not sure how much better.

I agree with LBBF except for one thing, we should have as good a record and make the NCAA if JD is a 'decent' coach.  In answer to your latter question about who will score with JJ, it all depends on guard play with AC (feeding the post will be just as important this year as any other year).  I expect her to have a good year and average double figures scoring and rebounding, I also expect that DC will also average double figure scoring.  We really have three of our top four scorers back in them.  I expect K Swenson to step into MW's role but also add the three.  We need quality depth to emerge especially we need our young guards to mature quickly.  This could be a good team. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

BlancheDevereaux

We should be sitting pretty re-non conference schedule, but we need to be at least 9-7 in the SEC if we have hopes of the NCAA tourney. Two years ago when we did make the NCAAs we had a middling SEC record but we had those big wins over Iowa and Oklahoma. So let's hope our youngsters develop quickly!

LadybackBBFan

Here is my reply to the following quote from Hogfan1

"Is this based on what is coming back or on who we play?  I have some questions for you?  Who besides Jackson will score  more than 10 ppg?  Do we have a true PG who has leadership skills the team looks too and will have close to 2 assists to TOs?  Will we be able to close out those close games and not give them away?  Is the maturity and players in place this year?  Do we have a player to average 8 rpg? 

I agree we should be better this year but I am just not sure how much better.:"

First off the non-conference schedule is terribly weak compared to last year where we went 5 - 8.  The non-conference road losses last year included to the following: South Dakota St., Oregon St., Rutgers, and Texas.  We have no comparable road game this year.  Our other four non-conference losses included both Tulsa and Missouri State at home for which there is no excuse and two road losses to Butler and La - Lafeyette.  If we loose more than two non-conference games this year with our schedule - JD should be fired.

As far as conference games go, our schedule this year is a lot easier than last year.  We were 7 - 9 last year with overtime losses to Auburn and Florida.  Anything less than 8 - 8 would be a backwards step.

A lot of our non-conference losses were due to the fact that we had injuries to key veterans - Wolf and Brooks.  So we used freshmen - who were inconsistent and learning.  This year those players are sophomores.  College players traditionally show their most improvement in their sophomore years.  In addition one of our freshman is a Mc'Donalds All American and I expect great things from her - playing the three position - Wolf's.  I expect her to average double figures for the year.  Swenson will still be playing the four or five - sorry Fillipin!  My conclusion is if JD does not win 19 or 20 games this year, then he should be gone.

flippinhogmana

nothing to be sorry for LBBBF, Swenson did sub for Wolff some last year, but you are right is some respects as well. she also played the four some.  She does have perimeter skills more than Wolff did though (I dont think MW ever made and seldom attempted a 3pt in her four years here).  How they use her will depend on whether she plays while Cooley and Jackson are in.  It will also depend on matchups.  Swenson has the height and length to be a good re bounder and shot blocker for her size.  She reminds me in a lot of ways like MW. 

Matchups and what JD wants to do with offense will also depend on how much and where she plays, imho.  If AC and JJ can handle the inside without help, it will alxo factor, or whether we need three guards.  I do look for DC to play a lot and do well.  A lot of things depend on matchups.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hog63

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on September 23, 2016, 06:26:43 am

SOC is very very weak so they will have to have a better conference record than previous years to get into the tourney in my opinion.

Our post play will be the BIG ? mark, AC has to improve her game and stay out of foul trouble because after her the roster is light on post players