Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs Lead for 2018 Rodgerick Brown

Started by hogwood, September 01, 2016, 12:02:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/sep/01/hogs-lead-2018-small-forward/

More exciting news. SF out of Memphis, plays for Team Thad, one of the best rim rockers in his class. He has been a long time target of the staff. Currently #59 on Future150.

FineAsSwine

sounds like a good kid. I like his versatile game as well. Would make a great addition to the '18 class.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Impressive sounding young man there. Always good to get a Memphis area kid, too.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Jonteviosk

At least now you know CMAs favorite song...Mmmmmmmyyyy Sharone lol.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

poloprince

September 02, 2016, 09:30:04 am #5 Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:41:44 pm by poloprince
He will be a hog which will leave two scholarships for 2018.  Henderson gets one and the other needs to be used in the pursuit of a blue chip guard.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

hogwood

Quote from: poloprince on September 02, 2016, 09:30:04 am
He will be a hog which will leave two scholarships for 2018.  Henderson gets one and then other needs to be used in the pursuit of a blue chip guard.  :razorback:

I would think we'd be stacked with guards or guard-like forwards. We'll have Garland, Jones, Sills, Joe, Hall, and in this scenario Brown, as well as Glasper with Hill jumping on board the next season. That's a lot of guys who could play the guard position. On the other hand we will be at risk of potentially losing 2 big men after the 18-19 season IMO. Gafford and Perry could both leave early for the pros, so we would be left with only (in this scenario) Henderson, Hazen, Bailey, and whoever we add to the 2017 class (Enoh/Brooks). I think the staff will hone in on a big time C/PF type anticipating an early-exit to the pro's by at least one of the bigs after what should be a very successful 18-19 season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on September 02, 2016, 10:44:44 am
I would think we'd be stacked with guards or guard-like forwards. We'll have Garland, Jones, Sills, Joe, Hall, and in this scenario Brown, as well as Glasper with Hill jumping on board the next season. That's a lot of guys who could play the guard position. On the other hand we will be at risk of potentially losing 2 big men after the 18-19 season IMO. Gafford and Perry could both leave early for the pros, so we would be left with only (in this scenario) Henderson, Hazen, Bailey, and whoever we add to the 2017 class (Enoh/Brooks). I think the staff will hone in on a big time C/PF type anticipating an early-exit to the pro's by at least one of the bigs after what should be a very successful 18-19 season.

Agreed. I think we need to be looking a big man for 2018 class. A post player.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 02, 2016, 11:29:27 am

Yes, someone 6'9"+ preferrably

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 02, 2016, 11:29:27 am

I think the only way they don't go after a post man is if the staff feels they have an elite prospect lined up for the 2019 class that can start in place of either Gafford or Perry if they leave. In that scenario I could see us going after an elite shooting guard whose specialty really is shooting. With exception of Joe and perhaps Jones, no one else has that 3-point specialty which Anderson's teams have always made great use of. Could be nice to get another 3 point threat out there. But I'd still favor getting a big man who could develop for a year and then step in to a starting role when someone goes pro, probably ranked somewhere from 40-100 in the 2018 class. I realize we may have Henderson, who could potentially start as a sophomore - but he's not center-like and would probably still be too skinny to bang right under the hoop, plus he's only 6'8". I guess some think he will fill out to be bordering 6'10" but I'm not so sure.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogwood on September 02, 2016, 01:04:43 pm
I think the only way they don't go after a post man is if the staff feels they have an elite prospect lined up for the 2019 class that can start in place of either Gafford or Perry if they leave. In that scenario I could see us going after an elite shooting guard whose specialty really is shooting. With exception of Joe and perhaps Jones, no one else has that 3-point specialty which Anderson's teams have always made great use of. Could be nice to get another 3 point threat out there. But I'd still favor getting a big man who could develop for a year and then step in to a starting role when someone goes pro, probably ranked somewhere from 40-100 in the 2018 class. I realize we may have Henderson, who could potentially start as a sophomore - but he's not center-like and would probably still be too skinny to bang right under the hoop, plus he's only 6'8". I guess some think he will fill out to be bordering 6'10" but I'm not so sure.
I think they believe Hazen can be that knockdown shooter as a stretch forward. If it works, that would be deadly.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hogimus Prime

Unless it's an elite guard then I think MA is done with guards.  The team MA is putting together is going to be long on 6'6" to 6'8" guard and forward types that can play multiple positions which will make the traps and press more effective

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on September 03, 2016, 02:53:36 pm
Unless it's an elite guard then I think MA is done with guards.  The team MA is putting together is going to be long on 6'6" to 6'8" guard and forward types that can play multiple positions which will make the traps and press more effective

I think we could use a true point guard..

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 05, 2016, 12:27:35 pm

could be what they are grooming Glasper for.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogwood

Justice Hill should fix that. Hard to get another PG in there while Justice is on his way. Plus we have Garland who is supposedly transitioning to the point.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogwood on September 05, 2016, 04:59:46 pm
Justice Hill should fix that. Hard to get another PG in there while Justice is on his way. Plus we have Garland who is supposedly transitioning to the point.

true but I think Embry could play the position and be a shooting guard as well. when Hill arrived... room for both in Mike's offense..

hogwood

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 05, 2016, 05:34:28 pm
true but I think Embry could play the position and be a shooting guard as well. when Hill arrived... room for both in Mike's offense..

For sure. Don't forget Sills. He is a PG as well. It will definitely be interesting to watch and see who emerges with the starts in this bunch. There is competition at every position!

hogwood

Brown seemed really impressed and excited in RD's follow up post-visit. It seems we could really be cemented as his favorite. I wonder if we will even get after any other SF's in 2018, or if the staff feels fairly confident about Brown. I imagine we hear about some others until (if) Brown commits.

On the other hand it seemed like in RD's pre-visit interview that Embery wasn't as excited and wasn't even going to be able to stick around for the football game. I wonder if RD has tried to contact him for a follow up. Hopefully his visit was great.

poloprince

MA needs guys that can defend and score the ball. This true pg stuff is so 70's basketball. There are very few true pg's, as you call it, in the NBA currently. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

hogfreak

For the 2 remaining scholarships in the 2018 class I think 1 needs to be another 6'9 plus guy with some skill. One that can bang and has some meat to him.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: poloprince on September 19, 2016, 02:29:44 pm

MA needs guys that can defend and score the ball. This true pg stuff is so 70's basketball. There are very few true pg's, as you call it, in the NBA currently.

College and NBA games aren't even remotely close to the same game.

Jonteviosk

Ok you no longer have to have multiple bigs anymore. Look at Villanova last year they won the national title with a 4 guard lineup and only played that one big. Duke the year before practically played a 4 guard lineup around Okafor and won the national title with Justice Winslow playing the 4 for them. The age having to have multiple bigs is gone. Its about the scheme and getting proper breaks at the proper time. Iowa St became a national player by the JC route and Villanova won a national title that route. One more case in point Kentucky 2 years ago was a made shot away from losing to NotreDames 4 guard lineup...They played 3 7 fters lol.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Jonteviosk on September 24, 2016, 07:51:01 am
Ok you no longer have to have multiple bigs anymore. Look at Villanova last year they won the national title with a 4 guard lineup and only played that one big. Duke the year before practically played a 4 guard lineup around Okafor and won the national title with Justice Winslow playing the 4 for them. The age having to have multiple bigs is gone. Its about the scheme and getting proper breaks at the proper time. Iowa St became a national player by the JC route and Villanova won a national title that route. One more case in point Kentucky 2 years ago was a made shot away from losing to NotreDames 4 guard lineup...They played 3 7 fters lol.

True but Duke had a back up for Okafor.  The Hogs really do need another big to back up Gafford after next season when Thompson graduates. The big doesn't need to be bigtime just someone that can bang and protect the basket when Gafford is out.

poloprince

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 23, 2016, 11:32:54 pm
College and NBA games aren't even remotely close to the same game.

Tell me something I don't know man.
$PoLoPrInCe$

mhuff

Quote from: Jonteviosk on September 24, 2016, 07:51:01 am

Well  what you say is a few select examples. You can't make such broad statements with such limited sample sizes. Las Vegas had teams that did well with shorter lineups. What you saw are aberrations ....not the general rule. Imho

Jonteviosk

Is it really such a small sample size anymore Golden State won a title and played for another with a small ball lineup and Cleveland only really plays 1 big at a time a lot of times. Mark Dantonio I know misspelled but he astered the small ball IN Phoenix where Shawn Marion was used at PF and Amare Stoudamire at center goes even further back with again Golden State and Run TMC...Would have Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullin, 6th man Terry Teagle and Larry Smith would play center at 6'8. I only chos a few examples but I cant see that the sample size is that small lol.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on September 26, 2016, 07:59:13 am
True but Duke had a back up for Okafor.  The Hogs really do need another big to back up Gafford after next season when Thompson graduates. The big doesn't need to be bigtime just someone that can bang and protect the basket when Gafford is out.

Victor Enoh

Hogimus Prime

hogwood

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 27, 2016, 08:23:30 am
Victor Enoh

Enoh is not a 6'10"+ athletic C like Gafford. He is a 6'8" PF banger. But he would have some trouble I think against true centers that elite teams would throw at us. That's why I advocate for another big in the 2018 class.

Kevin McPherson

Couple of things regarding Rodgerick Brown this weekend, and with the recent news of the Hogs' interest in 2018 SF DeShang Williams-Weaver of Houston (who is also joining the Arkansas Hawks 17U squad in 2018), one wonders if the Hogs might look to add both:

1. There are now 2 crystal-ball predictions that Rodgerick will be a Hog (a Memphis analyst at 247Sports predicted the Hogs this morning to go along with the other Hog prediction by a Duke analyst at 247).

2. Rodgerick visited Tennessee ...

https://twitter.com/RodBrown_RB5/status/787460589425688576

Kevin McPherson

Roderick Brown is now ranked No. 83 / a 4-star in 247Sports' 2018 composite national rankings ... was not in the rankings until today.

http://247sports.com/Player/Rodgerick-Brown-92331

hogwood

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on October 16, 2016, 05:27:30 pm
Roderick Brown is now ranked No. 83 / a 4-star in 247Sports' 2018 composite national rankings ... was not in the rankings until today.

http://247sports.com/Player/Rodgerick-Brown-92331

Thanks for all the updates. I really like Brown as well. Williams-Weaver is also an excellent looking prospect. I wonder who we take or if there is a desire to get both. If we get both that would leave us without our shooter that we've also been looking for, although we already have Joe.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hogwood on October 16, 2016, 06:59:40 pm
Thanks for all the updates. I really like Brown as well. Williams-Weaver is also an excellent looking prospect. I wonder who we take or if there is a desire to get both. If we get both that would leave us without our shooter that we've also been looking for, although we already have Joe.

Yeah, I was hoping we'd go after a T.J. Moss to complement Joe. The Hogs have lots of options to finish out these next 2 classes (2017 and 2018). If it were up to me, we'd add another big in 2017 (HS or juco), then Moss in 2018, and Brown or Williams-Weaver in 2018. And if we don't sign another big in 2017, I'd go after Caleb Stokes in 2018 (although he may end up committing elsewhere in the near future).

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on October 16, 2016, 11:26:15 am
There are now 2 crystal-ball predictions that Rodgerick will be a Hog (a Memphis analyst at 247Sports predicted the Hogs this morning to go along with the other Hog prediction by a Duke analyst at 247).

Make it 3 crystal-ball predictions and 100% for the Hogs landing Rodgerick Brown as Jerry Meyer, national director of basketball recruiting at 247Sports, weighed in this morning.

Razorod

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on October 17, 2016, 10:21:49 am
Make it 3 crystal-ball predictions and 100% for the Hogs landing Rodgerick Brown as Jerry Meyer, national director of basketball recruiting at 247Sports, weighed in this morning.
That is interesting since he's coming off a visit to Tennessee. Maybe a commitment soon?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

navyhog24

Would we take this kid and DJ Weaver if he wanted to come over TJ Moss?

hogwood

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 17, 2016, 11:44:33 am

I wish we could just get all 3.

I wonder if something tell-tale happened on the Tennessee visit that now has everyone thinking he's 100% Arkansas bound...? Or maybe his camp is just very certain now and word is getting out.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 17, 2016, 11:44:33 am

Good question. First, let's look at the makeup of the roster that we expect to have to begin 2018-19 ...

* CJ Jones, 6-5 junior, SG / wing
* Adrio Bailey, 6-6 junior, combo-forward-4
* Brachen Hazen, 6-8 junior, combo-forward-4
* RJ Glasper, 5-10 junior preferred walk-on, PG
* Daniel Gafford, 6-9.5 sophomore, PF / C
* Darious Hall, 6-6 sophomore, SF / wing
* Khalil Garland, 6-5 sophomore, combo guard
* Reggie Perry, 6-8.5 freshman, combo-forward-4
* Ethan Henderson, 6-7.5 freshman, PF
* Isaiah Joe, 6-3 freshman, SG / wing
* Desi Sills, 6-0 freshman, combo guard

Okay, that's 10 scholarship players plus a preferred walk-on, giving us 11 total that we expect to have on the roster going into 2018-19 ...

* 5 backcourt players = 2 shooters in Jones and Joe, 1 PG in Glasper, and 2 combo guards in Sills (who can play the 1 or the 2) and Garland (who can play the 1, 2, or 3).
* 1 SF / wing = Hall, whose style of play is more attack-the-rim a la Michael Qualls ... maybe Dro Bailey plays some on the wing as a SF, but I see him more in that combo-forward-4 role like Alandise Harris and Coty Clarke.
* 5 frontcourt players = Gafford, Perry, Henderson, Hazen, and Bailey ... Gafford will be a 5 mostly (a la BP and MK), with Henderson playing a game similar to Derek Hood at the 4, and Perry, Hazen, and Bailey are all combo-forward-4s who can play facing, rebound, run the floor, create havoc in the press, and generally play similar roles to what we saw with Coty Clarke, Alandise Harris, and even Jacorey Williams (to some degree). I believe Henderson will add weight and strength, so we could see him spell Gafford at the 5 and play on the floor with any of the combo forwards manning the 4.

So, that leaves us with 3 scholarships to fill out the roster (1 as early as 2017, 2 more as early as 2018), and this is how I'd fill those spots if it were up to me ...

* My first preference would be to sign a 2017 juco big so that there is a veteran/senior frontliner to pair with sophomore Gafford in 2018-19, PLUS the scholly comes open again for 2019-20 which is when Hog commit Justice Hill will be a freshman ... OR sign a 2017 HS big, which does not have to be done in the early period, so we could evaluate through the spring ... OR sign a senior-grad-transfer big, which also requires waiting till the spring but means the scholly would be freed up again for the 2018 class ... OR save the scholly for the 2018 class, especially given that guys like Caleb Stokes, Connor Vanover, and Kalin Bennett (currently committed to UALR) are right in our backyard and might develop enough in a year's time to earn a scholly ... whatever MA decides to do, we need another BIG with one of these 3 remaining scholarships

* Sign at least one SF / wing in 2018 ... aside from Hall, there are no true SF / wings in the expected roster breakdown that I gave above ... I think that's why we recruited Wheeler for 2017, and why we are looking hard at two 2018 Top 100ish / 4-star SF/wings in Rodgerick Brown of Cordova, TN, and DJ Williams-Weaver of Houston, TX ... if we believe that between Jones, Joe, Sills, Glasper and Garland that we have enough perimeter shooting/scoring (Garland showed he has expanded his perimeter game by knocking down numerous perimeter shots at the recent AAO Combine in Fayetteville, and don't forget that PG Justice Hill arrives a year later), then I could see us taking 2 SF /wings, meaning we could take both RBrown and DJWWeaver.

* BUT, I still think we ought to look at another shooter-scorer type, and I really like T.J. Moss of Memphis East / Team Magic Elite ... don't be surprised if HE RECRUITS Bill Ingram to let him join a loaded Arkansas Hawks 17U team in 2017 ... not saying it will happen, but he knows these Arkansas kids and he probably wants to be part of a team with a real chance be the best in grassroots basketball team in 2017.

So, IMO, with 3 more to give, I'd go big in 2017, then SF/wing and SG/wing in 2018 ... but I could understand going big and 2 more SF/wings, too, because RBrown and DJWWeaver both bring a combination of length, athleticism, and skill that fits what we do.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on October 17, 2016, 02:14:06 pm
Good question. First, let's look at the makeup of the roster that we expect to have to begin 2018-19 ...

Okay, that's 10 scholarship players plus a preferred walk-on, giving us 11 total that we expect to have on the roster going into 2018-19 ...

* 5 backcourt players = 2 shooters in Jones and Joe, 1 PG in Glasper, and 2 combo guards in Sills (who can play the 1 or the 2) and Garland (who can play the 1, 2, or 3).
* 1 SF / wing = Hall, whose style of play is more attack-the-rim a la Michael Qualls ... maybe Dro Bailey plays some on the wing as a SF, but I see him more in that combo-forward-4 role like Alandise Harris and Coty Clarke.
* 5 frontcourt players = Gafford, Perry, Henderson, Hazen, and Bailey ... Gafford will be a 5 mostly (a la BP and MK), with Henderson playing a game similar to Derek Hood at the 4, and Perry, Hazen, and Bailey are all combo-forward-4s who can play facing, rebound, run the floor, create havoc in the press, and generally play similar roles to what we saw with Coty Clarke, Alandise Harris, and even Jacorey Williams (to some degree). I believe Henderson will add weight and strength, so we could see him spell Gafford at the 5 and play on the floor with any of the combo forwards manning the 4.

So, that leaves us with 3 scholarships to fill out the roster (1 as early as 2017, 2 more as early as 2018), and this is how I'd fill those spots if it were up to me ...

* My first preference would be to sign a 2017 juco big so that there is a veteran/senior frontliner to pair with sophomore Gafford in 2018-19, PLUS the scholly comes open again for 2019-20 which is when Hog commit Justice Hill will be a freshman ... OR sign a 2017 HS big, which does not have to be done in the early period, so we could evaluate through the spring ... OR sign a senior-grad-transfer big, which also requires waiting till the spring but means the scholly would be freed up again for the 2018 class ... OR save the scholly for the 2018 class, especially given that guys like Caleb Stokes, Connor Vanover, and Kalin Bennett (currently committed to UALR) are right in our backyard and might develop enough in a year's time to earn a scholly ... whatever MA decides to do, we need another BIG with one of these 3 remaining scholarships

* Sign at least one SF / wing in 2018 ... aside from Hall, there are no true SF / wings in the expected roster breakdown that I gave above ... I think that's why we recruited Wheeler for 2017, and why we are looking hard at two 2018 Top 100ish / 4-star SF/wings in Rodgerick Brown of Cordova, TN, and DJ Williams-Weaver of Houston, TX ... if we believe that between Jones, Joe, Sills, Glasper and Garland that we have enough perimeter shooting/scoring (Garland showed he has expanded his perimeter game by knocking down numerous perimeter shots at the recent AAO Combine in Fayetteville, and don't forget that PG Justice Hill arrives a year later), then I could see us taking 2 SF /wings, meaning we could take both RBrown and DJWWeaver.

* BUT, I still think we ought to look at another shooter-scorer type, and I really like T.J. Moss of Memphis East / Team Magic Elite ... don't be surprised if HE RECRUITS Bill Ingram to let him join a loaded Arkansas Hawks 17U team in 2017 ... not saying it will happen, but he knows these Arkansas kids and he probably wants to be part of a team with a real chance be the best in grassroots basketball team in 2017.

So, IMO, with 3 more to give, I'd go big in 2017, then SF/wing and SG/wing in 2018 ... but I could understand going big and 2 more SF/wings, too, because RBrown and DJWWeaver both bring a combination of length, athleticism, and skill that fits what we do.

Great post. Sure is nice to have all of these options.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogwood

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on October 17, 2016, 02:14:06 pm

IMO we just need to get the best 3 players available to us. Thompson being a Sr. when Gafford comes to the hill makes it less imperative to get a big that year, although it would still be nice. If Brown, Williams-Weaver, and Moss are all super interested in us I would just take those 3. Hard to make a real solid case to take a 3* JUCO PF instead of having a spot for a kid like Moss or W-W who could potentially give 3 years. Unless we find a highly rated big who is super interested in 2018... Otherwise we might just be a very long team with not as much height. But in Anderson's system that may not be so bad. Plus we would be taller overall than most teams and pose tons of mismatches. We would have 9 players 6'6" or taller if we got Brown and WW. That's a pretty tall team overall. Except we would only have 4 6'8" or taller, which I guess is kind of normal anyways. Hell, this year we only have 4 too. Maybe it's not such a big deal.

Amityvillehogger

Great info fellas. Excited for the trend the right direction.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005