Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RB Recruiting

Started by SemperFi, November 29, 2015, 11:35:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFi

With Whaley committing to Georgia, Devin White's off the field issues that has his recruiting in question and with JWill gone and more than likely AC gone as well, who does that leave us with? On the current roster we have:

Juan Day
Denzell Evans
Connor McPherson (I have no idea who this kid is)
Kody Walker
Rawleigh Williams III

We know what we have in RWIII, but how is his recovery going and does it look like football is still in his future? Kody Walker has proved that he is a good RB, although not a homerun hitter, but he has the ability to grind out the yards. Beyond that, I have no idea what we have and as we all know you need to be stacked at the RB position to survive in the SEC. We have Hammonds committed, but he's listed as an athlete and may be that situational speed back.

Where do we go now? Is Pennamon still in play? Who else is legitimately in our sights and that will call the Hogs on signing day? I think we need two RBs that have the ability to be every down RBs with at least one ready to play. Do you agree or disagree? Thoughts or any real specualtion on where we go now?

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ADavisTheGOAT

Richt just got fired from UGA. So apparently we still may have a chance with Whaley.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

hawgwash

Ole Miss has 4 RBs committed.  I can't believe they end up signing that many.

JIHawg

Don't forget about Hammonds.  He could be the speed back.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawgwash on November 29, 2015, 11:39:32 am
Ole Miss has 4 RBs committed.  I can't believe they end up signing that many.
Totally agree. We're to believe that a program like OM, who rarely uses the run BTW, is going to use approximately 16% of their slots in this year's class at this one particular position?! Good luck with that.  ??? :-X ::)

SemperFi

Quote from: Hogfan991 on November 29, 2015, 11:36:24 am
Richt just got fired from UGA. So apparently we still may have a chance with Whaley.

Just saw that. I hate that for Mark Richt as I believe that he was both a good coach and a good man, however that may very well play to our benefit. More than likely UGA goes after a coach that believes in the spread considering how starved they are for some offense. Hopefully, Whaley doesn't sit around and wait to see who they bring in to replace Richt and commits to the Razorbacks.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Prestworthy

Quote from: JIHawg on November 29, 2015, 11:41:08 am
Don't forget about Hammonds.  He could be the speed back.
Really excited about Hammonds. He has the speed to compliment RW3 and Walker.

Dionysos25

If RWIII comes back healthy and w/hammonds coming in, we should be good. More concerned about the other side of the football. Maybe they work on Walker's quickness if we don't sign a decent RB.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Dionysos25 on November 29, 2015, 12:48:04 pm
If RWIII comes back healthy and w/hammonds coming in, we should be good. More concerned about the other side of the football. Maybe they work on Walker's quickness if we don't sign a decent RB.

You need more then 2 RB's.  As you can see by the hogs, UGA and Bama.  2 won't cut it
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

TechHog

For those of you have seen hammonds, who does he remind you of?  McCluster from ole miss?  Marshall Faulk?  Not in terms of potential, obviously, just style of play.

WaltonCollege

with Richt leaving maybe we come back into play for Whaley. His other school Texas is a dumpster fire and he's said he's real close to the UGA staff. if most of them leave maybe he reconsiders

Biggus Piggus

Why would Whaley remain interested in Georgia if the coaching staff's gone? He claimed it was the coaching staff that swayed him, not any other factors.
[CENSORED]!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 29, 2015, 06:13:35 pm
Why would Whaley remain interested in Georgia if the coaching staff's gone? He claimed it was the coaching staff that swayed him, not any other factors.

I was thinking the same. That is why I hope Texas does not decide to go after MR if it is true that Charlie Strong is going to Miami.

deedster84

I was looking back on some of CBB's recruits at RB. He didn't always rely on high ranking 'cruits. Monte Ball was 41st ranked RB. Lower than Hammonds. He had a helluva career. Whoever it is, I believe they'll succeed. Why? Because BB builds the OLine to wear you down and those 3-4 yard gains turn into 10-15-20 yard burst late in the game.

presidenthog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 29, 2015, 06:50:12 pm
I was thinking the same. That is why I hope Texas does not decide to go after MR if it is true that Charlie Strong is going to Miami.
mark richt doesn't strike me as a guy who would like the politics down there.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Quote from: deedster84 on November 29, 2015, 07:37:18 pm
I was looking back on some of CBB's recruits at RB. He didn't always rely on high ranking 'cruits. Monte Ball was 41st ranked RB. Lower than Hammonds. He had a helluva career. Whoever it is, I believe they'll succeed. Why? Because BB builds the OLine to wear you down and those 3-4 yard gains turn into 10-15-20 yard burst late in the game.
Great point...
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: deedster84 on November 29, 2015, 07:37:18 pm

The O line and the multiple RBs IMO.

Pathological

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 29, 2015, 11:46:24 am
Totally agree. We're to believe that a program like OM, who rarely uses the run BTW, is going to use approximately 16% of their slots in this year's class at this one particular position?! Good luck with that.  ??? :-X ::)
Maybe Freeze is following the Jimmie Johnson scheme for finding linebackers...oversign running backs and move the slowest to linebacker.  Worked at Miami.

hawgfan4life

RBs are a dime a dozen once you get past the one or two elite difference makers and more will emerge as that later in college than perform that way as projected.  There are 50 RBs out there right now that can come in and play that aren't on the top 10 RB list of most recruiting rankings.

HogCzar1

I have a gut feeling that we really have no chance with Whaley or White. If they see the opportunity, and haven't already committed then I say each has us down on their list. It would not surprise me to see Whaley stay with UGA if they hire Kirby Smart. And it would surprise me to see White not go to either Bama or LSU.

I still think we will get a couple good prospects at RB in the class though.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogCzar1 on November 30, 2015, 11:01:25 pm
I have a gut feeling that we really have no chance with Whaley or White. If they see the opportunity, and haven't already committed then I say each has us down on their list.

By this logic Alex a Collins wouldn't have come here

HogCzar1

Don't recall Alex committing to another school prior to announcing for UA close to signing day. Also, my perception is that since White hadn't visited the campus this fall, he hasn't at least shown by his actions that he is really that interested. We will see. The point is that failure to land either of these 2 doesn't mean we can't get a quality prospect.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: TechHog on November 29, 2015, 01:00:07 pm
For those of you have seen hammonds, who does he remind you of?  McCluster from ole miss?  Marshall Faulk?  Not in terms of potential, obviously, just style of play.

A couple former Hogs that he reminds me of are Dedrick Poole and Decori Birmingham. Not elite speed, but very good speed. A touch faster than AC and JWill.  He has good footwork and vision.

In some of PR's tougher games against better teams like Dardanelle, he seems to shy away from contact a bit after he's been popped a few times, but Dardanelles defense the past couple seasons is a different animal than the teams they are use to playing in 4A. Dardanelle has a very good defensive line, #72 is a very good DT, but their linebackers have very good speed and fit their assignments well. Dardanelle has a tendency to knock the wind out of the offenses sails and it trickles down to the whole team. So I don't know if it's him or just the whole teams attitude kinda giving up when the defense is shutting them down.

He also has a little Joe Adams in him with some of his moves and cutting at top speed. Good hips.  Adams was as tough as they come though. I don't see him being a between the tackles 20 carries a game kinda back, but we will see. A current guy on the team that he reminds me of is Jared Cornelius. He cuts real well, but doesn't do a lot of unnecessary dancing. He prefers to make 1 cut and get vertical. I've watched him play 3 times.

Pork Twain

I predict that we will be fine going forward on the OL, RB, DL, TE and QB positions.  Those other ones are what worries me
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

King Kong

Quote from: HogCzar1 on November 30, 2015, 11:18:14 pm
Don't recall Alex committing to another school prior to announcing for UA close to signing day. Also, my perception is that since White hadn't visited the campus this fall, he hasn't at least shown by his actions that he is really that interested. We will see. The point is that failure to land either of these 2 doesn't mean we can't get a quality prospect.

November isn't close to Signing day, that's still like 3 months away. And Alex was commited at one point to Miami.

I agree with the other poster your reasoning is flawed.