Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Black Friday

Started by Oklahawg, November 28, 2015, 09:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

This coming week is the "Black Friday" equivalent for recruitniks.

Coaches hit the road full tilt. All the fall film has been processed. Wish lists are updated as a result. We'll see high-end targets and explore who gets visits for the remaining slots.

I bet there is a robust discussion on numbers before everyone flies out to recruit.

I anticipate the following (as it is always the case):
1. we pull off of a "high-end target" because they haven't developed as anticipated, our needs have changed, or superior talent appears on the radar. This will cause some angst on HV
2. we will pursue with determination new names that matured this fall and meet an established need. This will cause even more angst on HV (how could a 2-star or 3-star be better than a 4-star?)
3. we will see numbers juggle a lot, probably approaching 25 total because the needs really exist. Some will hang on to the 18-20 number. This argument will cause some angst on HV
4. a commit will "move along", likely told they weren't in UA's plans but we'd hold the offer until they can flip to someone else. Grades, skills, priorities, CBB does a great job of keeping a kid's ego intact. This will cause angst on HV

But...it is FUN! New names, old names, new interviews, new tweets, new instagram posts, all sorts of stuff. RD starts earning a 3rd salary. It is the "new season" until we know where we go bowling.

I can't wait.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

gumbohog

Always love your posts Okla...

Thanks for the reminder

jjdlc

Love this time of year.

Don't forget all the "sources" that pop up too.

hawginbigd1

I think we are a lot closer to 25 than I thought all year because of the 4 spots we have opened plus both RBs, and maybe HH.

JHicks3636

What is hard to believe is that there will be so much angst on HV. Surely not.

Arkamedes

Or...it is also possible that nothing will change. This will cause angst in HV.  ;)
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

Sow Lancelot

Pretty sure I read somewhere that 'hogville' is ancient Greek for angst. ;)
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

PEtrader

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on November 29, 2015, 06:16:03 am
Pretty sure I read somewhere that 'hogville' is ancient Greek for angst. ;)

Actually that is Doug.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

gmarv

what about the super secret commit that will surely arise ????