Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damarea Crockett

Started by dirtdobber, November 28, 2015, 07:38:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtdobber

Why is Arkansas showing no interest in this kid?  If his measurables and speed listed are legit, I would have thought they would have offered already.

Bubba's Bruisers

They have too many above him on their board.  He's probably a nice player, but it's not like major programs are knocking down his door.  I could see us offering very late if we strike out on all our higher rated guys, but not sure if he'd flip from BSU.  At least I think he's committed to BSU.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

secneahog

So was Korliss Marshall.
Id like to get him in on a official visit.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

BrokenArrowHogs

I think its just a matter that they evaluated their potential RB targets and have been investing in those they rated higher in that process.  They have seen Crockett in person, so they have a reason to base their evals.  This could be another Korliss Marshall deal where they look at a late offer.  Like Crockett, Marshall was not getting any other major Power-5 offers either.  But he had P5 talent.  We will just have to wait and see. 

LR HAWG

I'm sure Crockett is a great kid and a decent back. However, he probably doesn't have D1 speed and or quickness. There is no way we wouldn't have offered a kid in our backyard if that WAS the case.

I trust coach B's evaluation when it comes to running back prospects.  :razorback:

LR HAWG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 28, 2015, 07:44:19 pm
They have too many above him on their board.  He's probably a nice player, but it's not like major programs are knocking down his door.  I could see us offering very late if we strike out on all our higher rated guys, but not sure if he'd flip from BSU.  At least I think he's committed to BSU.

If we offered Crockett a full scholly he would come here in a second. Just my opinion though- I don't know the kid.

JaketheSnake

(Insert guy beating dead horse meme)

BrokenArrowHogs

Quote from: LR HAWG on November 28, 2015, 08:04:28 pm
However, he probably doesn't have D1 speed and or quickness. There is no way we wouldn't have offered a kid in our backyard if that WAS the case.

I have seen some speculate that, yet comparing to a similar situation last year, Korliss had D1 ability and still had to wait to get a very late offer.  There is often "more" to the story with these things.  I have no idea why they haven't extended an offer to this stage.  May be related to their eval of his upside athletically, may be something off the field, the truth is, no one knows but the staff. 

It will all play out one way or another. 

dirtdobber

I have seen some speculate that, yet comparing to a similar situation last year, Korliss had D1 ability and still had to wait to get a very late offer.  There is often "more" to the story with these things.  I have no idea why they haven't extended an offer to this stage.  May be related to their eval of his upside athletically, may be something off the field, the truth is, no one knows but the staff. 

It will all play out one way or another. 

[/quote]

I agree.  With his SPARQ numbers, he's definitely athletic.  Similar speed to Hammonds  but 15+ lbs. heavier.
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/mar/14/dallas-nike-combine-tidbits/

Oklahawg

Would signal a massive whiff on RBs, methinks. If Crockett is indeed a P5 RB then good for him that we whiff. I don't care who it is I just want two RBs that can play as true frosh.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The Recruiting Guy

Arkansas evaluated Damarea in camp. They have monitored this season. I'm not saying they should or should not offer him, but that's where they stand with him at this time.

The Recruiting Guy

Arkansas evaluated Damarea in camp. They have monitored him this season. I'm not saying they should or should not offer him, but that's where they stand with him at this time.

azhog10

For a running team we have absolutely failed year in and year out under Bielema to consistently bring in a top 5, even 10 running back. We got Collins, but since nothing. This should not be the case.

Hawghiggs

I wonder why no one else has lured him away? Boise state ? really? You would have to think that Kansas would at least offer, but nothing. Why?

RazorWhacker

Quote from: azhog10 on November 29, 2015, 04:17:29 am
For a running team we have absolutely failed year in and year out under Bielema to consistently bring in a top 5, even 10 running back. We got Collins, but since nothing. This should not be the case.

You get the pitchforks and light the lanterns. I'll boil the tar and pluck the chickens.

PEtrader

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 29, 2015, 07:20:27 am
I wonder why no one else has lured him away? Boise state ? really? You would have to think that Kansas would at least offer, but nothing. Why?

That tells you all you need to know.  Maybe walkon.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Hogsolo

BSU's last two starting RB's have been high draft choices in the NFL.   The current starting RB will be too.   I think he's going to a great situation where the coaches know how to evaluate their needs. 

He'll be Alex Collins in Boise and that's better than being a lightly regarded walk on at UA.   

azhog10

Quote from: RazorWhacker on November 29, 2015, 07:23:15 am
You get the pitchforks and light the lanterns. I'll boil the tar and pluck the chickens.
Its not a witch hunt. It's just slightly odd to see how much we struggle getting top backs with the offense we run. You would think if we were as good at recruiting as some say, getting a top RB would be easy.

sickboy

Quote from: azhog10 on November 29, 2015, 01:17:46 pm
Its not a witch hunt. It's just slightly odd to see how much we struggle getting top backs with the offense we run. You would think if we were as good at recruiting as some say, getting a top RB would be easy.

Recruiting isn't easy at Arkansas, for anyone. Still, we don't need to recruit top 5 running backs. We've proved that with RWIII. We just need to get the guys that Bielema sees as a fit and they'll more than likely produce... he's proven that much.

Potosihog

Quote from: sickboy on November 29, 2015, 01:20:30 pm
Recruiting isn't easy at Arkansas, for anyone. Still, we don't need to recruit top 5 running backs. We've proved that with RWIII. We just need to get the guys that Bielema sees as a fit and they'll more than likely produce... he's proven that much.

I keep hearing this over and over on here. "We don't need premier running backs because we have a great oline."  How in the world does that make sense?  I don't need a big engine in my sports car because it looks really good. 

If we have a great back behind a great line wouldn't it lead to even better things?  Put DMac like speed and toughness behind this line along with the passing game we have seen this year and we would be unstoppable.

scruf

We got the best RB in Texas a year ago but I guess it doesn't count since he shared carries and then got hurt, huh?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: IAMHogholio on November 29, 2015, 11:53:03 am
BSU's last two starting RB's have been high draft choices in the NFL.   The current starting RB will be too.   I think he's going to a great situation where the coaches know how to evaluate their needs. 

He'll be Alex Collins in Boise and that's better than being a lightly regarded walk on at UA.
Well obviously that last statement's truth or not remains to be seen over time. In the meantime I have a feeling that our staff has seen far more RB candidates than most of us have seen football games.

SEdrhawg

I don't think this is an accurate assessment.  Let's break it down by year:

1) 2013
- Alex collins - 4* (rated by some services as 5* and possible top RB prospect)
- Denzell Evans - 3* (some nice offers including Mich State, and Ariz St)
- Korliss Marshall - 3* (lightly recruited but showed tons of potential prior to transfer)
- We did "miss" on Tenpenny that year, but he was Bama commit prior to CBB arrival

2) 2014
- Jaun Day - 3* (not highly recruited, but comitted to us early, and had injury trouble if I remember.  Also, after signing 3 RBs, two of which played as true Freshman, we didn't exactly need to break the bank on RB recruiting)

3) 2015
- Rawleigh Williams III - 3* (likely underated, did have Ole Miss and OKie state offers.  Showed much potential as true freshman prior to injury)

4) 2016
- No commits as of today (unless you project Hammonds as RB). 
- Jury is still out on several major prospects

If we don't sign at least 1 "major" RB target, then we can start to worry a little bit, but I think up until now RB recruiting under CBB has been adequate, if not above par.

Pork Twain

I think I will give things a chance before I start running around like my hair is on fire, but I will not lie and say that I am not a little disappointed in our RB recruiting.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

duckman

TJ Hammonds will be a RB and a good one...

Steef

Alex committed to us late in the process.

Like it or not, we are not a 'destination school' for high-star recruits. Even with the new ground and pound philosophy, we are years behind the prestige of some other SEC programs.

They get early commitments. We often don't.

And...we are 'shooting for the stars' right now with RBs. Some of the names we're chasing can go anywhere they want. It's a credit to our staff, that we are getting officials.

If our program keeps improving and Bret proves to the country that he is...
Building a monster
Gonna stay

Then we will start to see some earlier commits. Until then, we continue to wait 'til February.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: steefhog on November 30, 2015, 07:42:04 am

Like it or not, we are not a 'destination school' for high-star recruits. Even with the new ground and pound philosophy, we are years behind the prestige of some other SEC programs.

And...we are 'shooting for the stars' right now with RBs. Some of the names we're chasing can go anywhere they want. It's a credit to our staff, that we are getting officials.

Building a monster
Gonna stay

Then we will start to see some earlier commits. Until then, we continue to wait 'til February.

Excellent post.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

nwahogfan1

What would Crockett bring that is different than TJ?   Aren't they both the same type player?   I am not sure either are every down backs that we need to run between the tackles that we run. 

thoughts?

oldman1015

how many top 5 players should we be signing? how many have we signed in our history? cmon man
Arkansas, the left lane state.

duckman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 30, 2015, 07:55:29 am
What would Crockett bring that is different than TJ?   Aren't they both the same type player?   I am not sure either are every down backs that we need to run between the tackles that we run. 

thoughts?

Watch their video, they don't compare.  TJ is faster with better lateral movement and has great hands. 

Pork Twain

Building a monster
Gonna stay

On the money as usual.  Before anyone trolls and says, awe poor wittle Arkisaw...  It is not about that, it is about being realistic and patient.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Letsroll1200

Building a monster
Gonna stay

You can wait but you will need a elite running back for next season. You bringing in a new QB and losing some offensive lineman next season. I don't think elite running backs are excited about going to the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.

The staff is working and need a big time commitment at running back to solidify this class in the future. Kody Walker is the only running back that will return next season that has experience if R. Williams is unable to return from his neck injury. Kody Walker has improved but he is not the elite back that you need to win games in the SEC. Can this staff bring in a elite running back? We need a big time get like Alex Collins that will turn heads next season.

IronHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 30, 2015, 10:10:39 am
On the money as usual.  Before anyone trolls and says, awe poor wittle Arkisaw...  It is not about that, it is about being realistic and patient.

Strike out and you wasted valuable time and resources that could have been better used on other positions.

Plenty of good RBs out there......going for big names for marketing purposes may be a bad move.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 10:36:13 am

Strike out and you wasted valuable time and resources that could have been better used on other positions.

Plenty of good RBs out there......going for big names for marketing purposes may be a bad move.

So, Coach Iron, who would you offer that we haven't?

Pork Twain

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 10:36:13 am

Lowering the bar again today, I see.

IronHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 30, 2015, 10:49:42 am
Lowering the bar again today, I see.

LB and RB depth is nonexistent going into year 4.

Better to have several good players than strike out on big stars and end up scrambling IMO.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

bigdaddyhawg

Failed 'year in and year out', yet we got Collins??

Your hyperbole has got you so messed up you don't know if you're coming or going.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: sickboy on November 29, 2015, 01:20:30 pm
Recruiting isn't easy at Arkansas, for anyone. Still, we don't need to recruit top 5 running backs players. We've proved that with RWIII Qualls. We just need to get the guys that Bielema  CMA sees as a fit and they'll more than likely produce... he's proven that much.

This would be appropriate for Jumpball.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Mike_e

If he wants to be a Hog, sounds like he's a good candidate for the walk-on program.

Could he play safety?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

NLRHog92

Quote from: Mike_e on November 30, 2015, 11:50:58 am
If he wants to be a Hog, sounds like he's a good candidate for the walk-on program.

Could he play safety?

Sorry to tell you, but this is a ridiculously stupid post. He's not going to walk on when he has an offer and is committed to a DI school that's often been in the Top 25, has had national notoriety and put a couple of backs in the NFL. He's also not going to play out of position.

hawginbigd1

Building a monster
Gonna stay

Pretty solid post!

I was just saying to my dad over the weekend, I can't remember in the last 20+ years that recruiting has been it's seemingly own sport! Where I see studs at other P5 schools that I felt we had legitimate shot at landing, meaning they had offers from us and they made an OV or at least made an unofficial visit!

secneahog

Quote from: IronHog on November 30, 2015, 10:56:12 am
LB and RB depth is nonexistent going into year 4.

Better to have several good players than strike out on big stars and end up scrambling IMO.

We have three linebackers committed that will add nice depth.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

RWIII looked good until he got hurt.

EFBAB

lurk

Quote from: scruf on November 29, 2015, 01:49:25 pm
We got the best RB in Texas a year ago but I guess it doesn't count since he shared carries and then got hurt, huh?
Without a doubt.

As to the question of why we haven't been able to recruit a top back(besides the best back in Texas last year)... we've had 2 future NFL feature backs as underclassmen the last 3 years.

ricepig

Quote from: lurk on November 30, 2015, 01:47:17 pm
Without a doubt.

As to the question of why we haven't been able to recruit a top back(besides the best back in Texas last year)... we've had 2 future NFL feature backs as underclassmen the last 3 years.

I was impressed with the Warren kid from Texas the other night, but RWIII is very good, and hopefully can make a full recovery.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on November 30, 2015, 01:51:57 pm
I was impressed with the Warren kid from Texas the other night, but RWIII is very good, and hopefully can make a full recovery.
Where did he end up?

I am not sure we won't be sorry for backing away from the Carr kid that went to Colorado! Small sample but he looked explosive!

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 30, 2015, 02:05:22 pm
Where did he end up?

Texass, he had 250+ yards against Tech, which I realize is Tech, but he ran tough.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on November 30, 2015, 01:51:57 pm

Ronald Jones (of McKinney, TX) has had a good season at USC, too.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Wildhog on November 30, 2015, 02:41:26 pm
Ronald Jones (of McKinney, TX) has had a good season at USC, too.
IMO he is as a freshman a top 5 RB already! I am not kidding he reminds me of a faster Eric Dickerson!