Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whaley to UGA

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, November 26, 2015, 06:06:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oliver on November 26, 2015, 06:48:41 pm
We may have bagmen.  If we do, they suck

It just gets us to even.  We aren't a tradition rich FB program and we reside far from the best talent.  We've largely been mediocre for a few decades now. 

Recruiting to Fayetteville ain't easy.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 06:44:50 pm
And don't think we don't have our own.

I'm sure we do. They just need to get better at their craft.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Oliver

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 06:51:45 pm
It just gets us to even.  We aren't a tradition rich FB program and we reside far from the best talent.  We've largely been mediocre for a few decades now. 

Recruiting to Fayetteville ain't easy.

I find it hard to believe that if you removed the bagmen from the equation that it would get much worse.  I don't mind paying players to gain an advantage but when the advantage is this minor, I'm not sure it's worth the potential penalties if we're caught

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 06:46:06 pm
Very unlikely he gets the ax.  More likely he moves on himself.  Doubt either happens.

Correct. They'll probably beat Tech Sat. and all will be fine in puppyville till next year.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

ricepig

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 26, 2015, 06:38:33 pm
Not sure about the others but i was Not talking about the reporters.  Talking about the local idiots on here that think they know where an 18 year old kid is going to play football.  This board is overflowing with wannabe experts on recruiting

You don't have to read other people's opinions, you know??

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oliver on November 26, 2015, 06:54:15 pm
I find it hard to believe that if you removed the bagmen from the equation that it would get much worse. 

I'd say our recruiting has been better overall the last couple classes.  It's still bottom half of the SEC, no doubt, but better.  We don't have a program that can turn on a dime.  We'll have to largely rely on coaching, preparation, experience and limited attrition to bridge the gap.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 06:59:38 pm
I'd say our recruiting has been better overall the last couple classes.  It's still bottom half of the SEC, no doubt, but better.  We don't have a program that can turn on a dime.  We'll have to largely rely on coaching, preparation, experience and limited attrition to bridge the gap.

Well, according to MMQB, we have none of those, maybe some experience.

SEdrhawg

Guys, no need to hate on the kid.  We went head to head with 2 great, historic programs (as we are) and we got beat.  No shame in that.  I think the kid would have been a huge get for us and would have had a great career ahead of him, and likely a lot of early playing time.  But, he chose to be a bulldog and honestly that is not a bad decision.  Although, Richt is on the hot seat if you look at what Georgia has to offer, you can't fault the kid.  Look at the great RBs this place has produced (Moreno, Walker, etc...), you get to play in front of 90,000+, and play in the SEC.  We are a great program, Georgia is a great program, Texas is a.... well, they once were a great program.

Congratulations Mr. Whaley, enjoy your time as a bulldog.  I wish you all the best, unless we meet in Atlanta.

reddogjcss

@ArRecruitingGuy: Whaley to Georgia: Running back Devwah Whaley has announced his commitment to Georgia on Twitter. https://t.co/BgLzmh8Q0r
Can't get them all, but glad our coaches are trying

theFlyingHog

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 26, 2015, 06:49:09 pm
singleton also coaches the special teams unit. so we can thank him for our great field goal blocking this year

regi

The biggest mystery of this BB regime, has been the innability to land a 4 or 5 star back since AC. Makes no sense. 16-20 I guess.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: regi on November 26, 2015, 07:04:06 pm
The biggest mystery of this BB regime, has been the innability to land a 4 or 5 star back since AC. Makes no sense. 16-20 I guess.

16-20?

ricepig

regi

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: regi on November 26, 2015, 07:08:20 pm
3-9, 7-6, 6-5

Yea, duh.  Right over my head.

But yes, I agree.  That's largely been our program for some time.  We are a 2nd tier program trying to get to 1st tier status by persuading 1st tier talent to sign on.  Now, that ain't easy.

WaltonCollege

colbs

Georgia rivals article quoted Whaley saying he had been a silent commit to GA ever since his official visit there.

PorkRinds

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Oliver

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2015, 07:18:31 pm
We flip him.

Well yeah, we're his leader.  This is all just part of the act

PorkRinds

colbs

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2015, 07:21:17 pm
I think he steps down on his own.
I will be rooting for Tech on Saturday.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Scott7703

Long ways until February. He just said 3 days ago he wasn't publicly committing until the under armour game and now this. If playing time means as much as he has said he isn't going to Georgia.  I don't think it's over.

regi

Doubt we flip him. I live in Georgia. The fan base is as down on Richt and UGA as they have ever been. Offense stinks, QB situation a mess. Coaches fist fighting and a report out that UGA AD favored firing Richt after last season. Board didn't approve. Richt has not signed a contract on his desk since April.

ricepig

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 26, 2015, 07:24:24 pm
Long ways until February. He just said 3 days ago he wasn't publicly committing until the under armour game and now this. If playing time means as much as he has said he isn't going to Georgia.  I don't think it's over.

Well, he seemed happy saying the coaches told him he'd get in on special teams and a few touches, it is perplexing with all that was said about him.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: regi on November 26, 2015, 07:26:05 pm
Doubt we flip him. I live in Georgia. The fan base is as down on Richt and UGA as they have ever been. Offense stinks, QB situation a mess. Coaches fist fighting and a report out that UGA AD favored firing Richt after last season. Board didn't approve. Richt has not signed a contract on his desk since April.

So you doubt we flip him, because of all the turmoil at UGA?

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 07:29:54 pm

I don't think Georgia will fire Richt, and I don't think he'll resign.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 07:31:47 pm

Yes, I posted this same opinion above.  Just not quite following Regi's post.

Oliver

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 07:31:47 pm

Golden handcuffs.  I read you

Oklahawg

Let's go slow.

1. Whaley visits and publicly names us his #1.
2. UGA guru reports he has been a silent since his visit there.
3. How the hell is that the fault of Coach Singleton, Coach Enos, Coach Bielema or Santa Claus?

I have had my own wish list prioritized for a while. It involved watching film of each and going from there. I'll say that most folks would be surprised by my #1 choice.

See? I am not any more an expert than anyone else. But, I don't have to jump off a freaking cliff like some.

==

I do acknowledge UGA is a potential dumpster fire if anti-Richt sentiment is allowed to coagulate this winter. Nothing would hurt them worse than to miss out on the opening run of hirings by having Richt wait until the dead period to decide to retire. In that case, I am thinking the door isn't completely shut.

Oh, and let's not forget the prevailing winds around HV suggested that Texas was the one to watch out for once Whaley named us #1.

As always, good luck, and bring on the candidate who wants to be a Hog.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Medic821

The kid was blowing smoke at the game.

JaketheSnake

How many 5* backs have te Hogs EVER LANDED?  How many out of state?  You think bc we land AC that they would just start flocking here? Even 4*... knile Davis was a 4* I believe, but we have not pulled a ton of 4* RBs from out of state. 

Oliver

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 26, 2015, 07:44:57 pm
How many 5* backs have te Hogs EVER LANDED?  How many out of state?  You think bc we land AC that they would just start flocking here? Even 4*... knile Davis was a 4* I believe, but we have not pulled a ton of 4* RBs from out of state. 

Flocking?  Not really.  Landing one single one since AC when you consider we have an offense that clearly features the RB plus the success the two RBs have had in Bielema's offense?  I don't think it's too unrealistic

razorhog52

Nothing to say here. It's a need position and at this time out coaches aren't getting it done. However, there is a lot of time til February.

ricepig

Quote from: Oliver on November 26, 2015, 07:51:14 pm
Flocking?  Not really.  Landing one single one since AC when you consider we have an offense that clearly features the RB plus the success the two RBs have had in Bielema's offense?  I don't think it's too unrealistic

I think most would agree that we haven't hit on some RB targets, I don't expect 5*, but we should land a 4* every year. Like Chris Warren, haha.

Oliver

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 07:52:43 pm
I think most would agree that we haven't hit on some RB targets, I don't expect 5*, but we should land a 4* every year.

I was including 4* in my statement

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oliver on November 26, 2015, 07:51:14 pm

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 07:52:43 pm
I think most would agree that we haven't hit on some RB targets, I don't expect 5*, but we should land a 4* every year. Like Chris Warren, haha.

Very reasonable. 

And I'm hoping the OL position picks up in this class too.

ricepig

Oliver

HogInFlorida

Knile, Wingo, JWill and De'Anthony Curtis were all 4*. And Petrino pulled them in. BB is known for RBs way more than Petrino.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

MissippHog

This is odd to say the least and goes against everything we have heard since his visit here, but such is the life of recruiting. 

razorhog52

Felix Jones 4* Oklahoma
Ronnie Wingo 4* Missouri
Knile Davis 4* Texas
Jonathan Williams 4* Texas
Alex Collins 4* Florida

That is 5 out of state backs that were 4 stars from 2004-2013 classes. That does not include 5* McFadden, 4* Curtis, and I may be missing a few.

Nutt and Petrino did well on 4 star backs. We have one committed now in TJ Hammons if he plays RB but we obviously need 2 more.

regi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 07:29:54 pm

What I am saying is, if all that is going on at UGA now didn't sway him toward us, would he really care if there was a coaching change at UGA?

aloha_kid

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 26, 2015, 06:11:33 pm
Maybe JWill told him he was coming back or something.

JWIll is going to the senior bowl.  Seems to me Chubb and Sony Michel should be his bigger concern ... oh and Holyfield.  Georgias' motto should be:  We do less with more.

regi

Quote from: razorhog52 on November 26, 2015, 07:58:21 pm
Felix Jones 4* Oklahoma
Ronnie Wingo 4* Missouri
Knile Davis 4* Texas
Alex Collins 4* Florida

That is 5 out of state backs that were 4 stars from 2004-2013 classes. That does not include 5* McFadden, 4* Curtis, and I may be missing a few.

Nutt and Petrino did well on 4 star backs. We have one committed now in TJ Hammons if he plays RB but we obviously need 2 more.

Thanks, we have always been able to land big time backs going back to Broyles. Now we got a HC known for a physical ground and pound style, yet other than AC, nobody is biting, I see no way that Hammond is not a RB in this class, especially if this continues.

Speaking of failed recruiting attempts, just saw Chris Warren go 90 yards off tackle for the Horns.

razorhog52

Yep, our recruiting had been bottom half. Our record had been bottom half. This year we needed differences makers. We have to find one a RB before February.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: regi on November 26, 2015, 07:59:11 pm
What I am saying is, if all that is going on at UGA now didn't sway him toward us, would he really care if there was a coaching change at UGA?

Gotcha.

JaketheSnake

1 highly ranked RB every two years and fill that in with a solid back.  That's right where we are right now.  We just missed out on one we all wanted, but that doesn't mean the recruiting sucks . People keep forgetting R Williams III bc he was only a 3*... The kid is a stud.  He play significant role this season and I hope he makes a full recovery.
Quote from: razorhog52 on November 26, 2015, 07:58:21 pm
Felix Jones 4* Oklahoma
Ronnie Wingo 4* Missouri
Knile Davis 4* Texas
Alex Collins 4* Florida

redeye

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 26, 2015, 06:09:46 pm
Just named us his leader and then Commits to UGA?  That sucks.

It's all very odd.  Didn't he also say he'd wait a month and then silently commit somewhere?  And not announce it publicly until the UA game?

It also seemed like he was backing away from Georgia recently.

I fully believe he told our guys that Arkansas was his leader, but you never know what a recruit is going to do, so I'm not shocked.