Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whaley to UGA

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, November 26, 2015, 06:06:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

mckinneyhog5

Anyone who wants to be a bagman must write a 5 page essay on what it means to "make it rain".
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Big Boi

Quote from: jjdlc on November 26, 2015, 06:10:16 pm
Well, guess he was just blowing smoke last weekend.
I really like Richard, but this is getting really old.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 26, 2015, 11:15:23 pm
You are a comic genius, sir. And you are also a genius when it comes to hitting the "quote" button and writing underneath it.
With long winded quotes it isn't always easy to get underneath with an iPhone. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2015, 07:26:34 am
Really? Name them. There used to be one there were rumors about and he was small potatoes.

My point was to imply that actually not everyone has a bagman.  As soon as we lose a recruit, the $$$$ excuses come out...bagman or other methods.  As if everybody cheats...Excepts us, of course. Sure, we can haggle over the meaning of bagman, but the point is a general one.  We ain't pure as the driven snow.  Common sense says we have $$$$ floating out here too, but we excuse it by suggesting that it ain't as much as our competition.  You know, the real cheaters.

Do I think we're operating in the same context as say AU?  Of course not.  There's no documentation that I know of to suggest that.  And that makes it all better.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Big Boi on November 27, 2015, 09:13:47 am
What does Richard have to do with this?

Bubba's Bruisers

You don't like reporting?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 26, 2015, 09:50:25 pm
Devwah wasn't asked if he had a leader. He was asked how did the visit go and he said Arkansas was definitely his leader. That wasn't me or anyone else saying that. He did. Something changed in the last few days. What exactly I can't tell you. Devwah isn't the first kid to have a change of heart is a very short period of time. Happens all the time.

I don't expect Arkansas to stop recruiting him.

I agree, and I don't see how this corrects anything I've posted.  All the scuttlebutt out there has said he's a UGA lean for a while.  He visits UA and comments that UA is the leader now.  Maybe he was just on a high from the visit.  Then a couple days later he commits to UGA...the place he's supposedly favored throughout much of the process.  As I said, his commit shouldn't surprise anyone if the scuttlebutt was true.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 26, 2015, 11:08:16 pm
Must've been the thrilling overtime win against Georgia Southern.  I know, I know, at least they won.  So fricking disgusting.  Go get Porter, if we can.
Texas Longhorn lock
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2015, 09:57:53 am
My point was to imply that actually not everyone has a bagman.  As soon as we lose a recruit, the $$$$ excuses come out...bagman or other methods.  As if everybody cheats...Excepts us, of course. Sure, we can haggle over the meaning of bagman, but the point is a general one.  We ain't pure as the driven snow.  Common sense says we have $$$$ floating out here too, but we excuse it by suggesting that it ain't as much as our competition.  You know, the real cheaters.
There are certain schools where the providing of extra benefits is a tradition within certain families going back two and three generations. Arkansas is not one of those schools. Arkansas loses recruits because it. It may not be as common as some would suggest but it happens.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2015, 07:26:34 am
Really? Name them. There used to be one there were rumors about and he was small potatoes.
And THAT is exactly what we are witnessing. Word is out that Arkansas won't 'protect their own' and wont 'play ball' in recruiting. They are picking us to pieces.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2015, 10:06:56 am
There are certain schools where the providing of extra benefits is a tradition within certain families going back two and three generations. Arkansas is not one of those schools. Arkansas loses recruits because it. It may not be as common as some would suggest but it happens.

No doubt it happens.  It's also difficult to recruit to Fayetteville in general...for inherent reasons we all know. 

When we lose a recruit, it ain't always about money, as so many say.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2015, 09:01:55 am
The point is he made an assumption with no real knowledge of what he was posting. Arkansas doesn't have a bag man. If they did I'd know about it. Stuff like that always gets around. At one time they had a guy who was a bagman wannbe. He was small potatoes. Some reporters started sniffing around trying to get some real facts on what he was doing and he shut it down.

What the guy could have posted as that all schools have boosters who do favors for certain players and maybe slip them some pocket money from time to time. A bag man is a guy who can deliver a recruit when other bagmen from other schools are also trying to deliver that recruit. That takes some serious cash and it has to be done in a smart way. Like a contribution to a certain church which has ties to the recruit or his parents or other family members.
Wasn't thet guy actually funnelling to Aubarn tho?
@Slackaveli

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2015, 10:11:07 am
And THAT is exactly what we are witnessing. Word is out that Arkansas won't 'protect their own' and wont 'play ball' in recruiting. They are picking us to pieces.

Except there's nothing new about our recruiting results.  In fact, I'd opine that recruiting is a bit better overall in the last couple years than it has been in the past.  Not because we're handing out cash, but probably because we have better recruiters on staff. 

Granted, OM's resent results is a glaring anomaly. 

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2015, 10:06:56 am
Sounds like we need some deep pockets to step up and compete for us.  This is getting really old.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Oliver on November 26, 2015, 06:48:41 pm
We may have bagmen.  If we do, they suck
This was hilarious btw

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2015, 10:12:16 am
No doubt it happens.  It's also difficult to recruit to Fayetteville in general...for inherent reasons we all know. 

When we lose a recruit, it ain't always about money, as so many say.
A recurit that chooses Georgia knows that hanging out in Atlanta on the weekend or the off season beats anything Arkansas has to offer.  Also, you know they probably get special treatment while they're there. 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

JaketheSnake

If losing recruits was only about things to do in town, Vandy would be taking them in.  It's about more than that and Fayet is a fine college town.  Ark just doesn't have the "name" that UGA, OU, Bama, LSU etc has. 

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 27, 2015, 10:47:29 am
If losing recruits was only about things to do in town, Vandy would be taking them in.  It's about more than that and Fayet is a fine college town.  Ark just doesn't have the "name" that UGA, OU, Bama, LSU etc has. 
Atlanta would crush Nashville to most recruits...not even close.   Also, Vandy is more committed to academics then football. 
What has Georgia done lately?  If recruits were still choosing "names". Why are Miami and Nebraska not relevant anymore?
My point was, if it comes down to Arkansas v Georgia for a recruit, I can understand why they would choose Georgia and it's not because of the "name".

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 27, 2015, 10:42:21 am
A recurit that chooses Georgia knows that hanging out in Atlanta on the weekend or the off season beats anything Arkansas has to offer.  Also, you know they probably get special treatment while they're there. 

Me bets just about every school offers some form of special treatment.

Big Boi

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2015, 09:58:02 am
What does Richard have to do with this?
Wasn't meant to be a dig a Richard. I really Like Richard, but it seems to be pointless to keep up with recruiting when our expert can't receive valid info from recruit. UGA recruiting guru seemed to get the true story within 24hr of Whaley OV to hogs. I understand Richard can't help it if the recruit lied to him but can't we dig any deeper then that? If we have the contacts to ask said UGA expert where he got the story why not? 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 27, 2015, 10:47:29 am

It's about all of it.  Fayetteville resides far from most recruiting hotbeds and UA ain't a FB rich tradition. 

Big Boi

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 27, 2015, 11:03:51 am
Atlanta would crush Nashville to most recruits...not even close.   Also, Vandy is more committed to academics then football. 
What has Georgia done lately?  If recruits were still choosing "names". Why are Miami and Nebraska not relevant anymore?
My point was, if it comes down to Arkansas v Georgia for a recruit, I can understand why they would choose Georgia and it's not because of the "name".
Maybe. Nashville is the "it" town at the moment. I understand it might not appeal to all recruits but it is now vacation destination.   

Nipsey Mussle

17 year old kids being flaky? Yeah, no doubt it does get old.

However, Richard rightly noting what they say and providing it to us for free, does not get old.

If you take what a 17 year old says as the gospel and can't handle the potential letdown, that's a you problem.

Kevin

Everyone knows who cheats, the ncaa knows who cheats, they don't care.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Prestworthy

We gotta go out and get us some bagMEN.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2015, 11:10:17 am
It's about all of it.  Fayetteville resides far from most recruiting hotbeds and UA ain't a FB rich tradition. 
I Agree with that.  Fayet is not near the hotspots.  And most recruits haven't heard of UA doing much in a while.  Nebraska and Miami have not been relevant in a while either.

jjdlc

I wasn't referring to Richard, he is on the up and up.  I was referring to  Whaley stating we were his leader.

kaiserhog

Tuscaloosa is not exactly a happening town.  Don't buy the negativity toward Fayetteville.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: kaiserhog on November 27, 2015, 03:21:36 pm
Tuscaloosa is not exactly a happening town.  Don't buy ithe negativity toward Fayetteville.

:razorback:

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: kaiserhog on November 27, 2015, 03:21:36 pm
Tuscaloosa is not exactly a happening town.  Don't buy the negativity toward Fayetteville.

It's much, much closer to all the HS talent.  And it's arguably the richest FB tradition in history.  Not even comparable.

Oklahawg

Anyone want to consider that Richt told Whaley that a commit would save his job?

Stranger things have happened.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

presidenthog

georgia fans are saying richt is out as early as sunday. why did he commit to georgia?

The Hogfather

Quote from: presidenthog on November 27, 2015, 03:49:37 pm
georgia fans are saying richt is out as early as sunday. why did he commit to georgia?

Not smart.

PorkRinds

Quote from: presidenthog on November 27, 2015, 03:49:37 pm

Which is why i say we flip him.

sickboy

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2015, 03:39:56 pm
Anyone want to consider that Richt told Whaley that a commit would save his job?

I've said elsewhere that I bet Richt and the staff probably strong-armed him to commit. They need good press right now and after the news came out that Whaley favored Arkansas, I wouldn't be surprised if they told him to take the offer or leave it. And I'm sure Whaley took it because he didn't want to lose an opportunity.

Here's the thing though. If a kid can change his mind in a day... you don't think he can change his mind in a couple months? I don't think it's over for Whaley. And if Richt does go... who knows?

Prestworthy

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2015, 03:39:56 pm

Why would that make Whaley want to commit?  And Richt is way to classy to say something like that to a 17 year old kid.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 27, 2015, 04:10:47 pm
Why would that make Whaley want to commit?  And Richt is way to classy to say something like that to a 17 year old kid.

The assistant coach in charge of recruiting can arrange that.  If the kid believes in Richt enough in the first place to make UGA a prime player for a commit why would the kid not see that he could be the moment that turns things around? If you are a star you think that way - the world turns on your every move and word.

Yes, it is far-fetched.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LRHawg

Sounds a little far-fetched. What makes sense to me is Whaley got the ultimatum after our visit and decided to commit. There's still two months to go and Whaley knows his spot here is still open. Lots of time and pieces still in play.

Positive Pete

I guess that $10 I gave him wasn't enough.

hawgfan4life

Our bagmen don't suck.  They are using little brown sack lunch bags and other schools are using huge double layerd brown grocery bags.  Makes a difference.

greenie

Quote from: LRHawg on November 27, 2015, 04:51:43 pm
Sounds a little far-fetched. What makes sense to me is Whaley got the ultimatum after our visit and decided to commit. There's still two months to go and Whaley knows his spot here is still open. Lots of time and pieces still in play.

This^^^

As soon as the word got out that Whaley had Arkansas at the top of his list, the Georgia pressure was likely applied.  This could have manifested in many ways, but easily could have been a "commit now or never" ultimatum. 

3kgthog

He's going to do what when UGA allows Richt to resign to "pursue other interests"? No coach does less with more!

Bowfishinghogfan

the kid said he never told anyone that the hogs were in the lead. Is there any video or audio of him saying this. He was contacted the day after the reports came out saying the hogs were his leader and contradicted the story. Surely if he said it to a reporter they have tape of it.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on November 28, 2015, 11:27:44 am
the kid said he never told anyone that the hogs were in the lead. Is there any video or audio of him saying this. He was contacted the day after the reports came out saying the hogs were his leader and contradicted the story. Surely if he said it to a reporter they have tape of it.

Why would RD lie about that? He has no reason to. RD doesn't try to play us.

grayhawg

If the kid or RD is lying, I'd say RD is telling the truth.

RedyorNot

Quote from: sickboy on November 27, 2015, 04:04:25 pm
I've said elsewhere that I bet Richt and the staff probably strong-armed him to commit. They need good press right now and after the news came out that Whaley favored Arkansas, I wouldn't be surprised if they told him to take the offer or leave it. And I'm sure Whaley took it because he didn't want to lose an opportunity.

Here's the thing though. If a kid can change his mind in a day... you don't think he can change his mind in a couple months? I don't think it's over for Whaley. And if Richt does go... who knows?

Completely agree.

colbs

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 28, 2015, 11:30:54 am
Why would RD lie about that? He has no reason to. RD doesn't try to play us.
Biddy and a Texas recruiting guy reported it with quotes from him.  The whole situation is weird. 

The_Hog_Father

Yes there is audio that was recorded by 4 Recruiting Journalists. There is no link that I know of but OK did say this on 24/7. My memory is hazy whether or not RD said that so... Hope that helps.

RebelW

If he's that wishy washy and not "REAL" with people. Just on whose ever side is standing infront of him then I'm glad he went to UGA.. Stand for something or fall for anything. Pet peeve