Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whaley to UGA

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, November 26, 2015, 06:06:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slim72315

73 yards rushing and 400 yards passing probably reminded him of big 12 football that's on tv all the time in Texas.

redeye

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 26, 2015, 07:37:13 pm
Let's go slow.

1. Whaley visits and publicly names us his #1.
2. UGA guru reports he has been a silent since his visit there.
3. How the hell is that the fault of Coach Singleton, Coach Enos, Coach Bielema or Santa Claus?

I don't think there's anyone to blame for Arkansas, but still want to point out that UGA gurus have been saying he was a silent commit long before he visited Arkansas.  It may be that they were right all along, but he wanted to visit Arkansas before going public.  Still doesn't explain why he would say we lead, but it's probably not worth trying to understand, either.

HogCzar1

I know it's not the conventional wisdom, but I'm not yet convinced that JWill and maybe even Alex won't be back next year.

In listening to CBB's comments, they would look at his draft status. In that regard would JWill be drafted in the first 4-5 rounds after sitting out this year?

Long time till February as well.

870hogfan

Quote from: slim72315 on November 26, 2015, 08:16:17 pm
73 yards rushing and 400 yards passing probably reminded him of big 12 football that's on tv all the time in Texas.

Yeah let's forget we had an 1,000 yard rusher...

Oliver

November 26, 2015, 08:37:57 pm #104 Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:49:20 pm by Oliver
Quote from: HogCzar1 on November 26, 2015, 08:32:07 pm
I know it's not the conventional wisdom, but I'm not yet convinced that JWill and maybe even Alex won't be back next year.

In listening to CBB's comments, they would look at his draft status. In that regard would JWill be drafted in the first 4-5 rounds after sitting out this year?

Long time till February as well.

Our ratio of draftable recruits staying to leaving is very low...in every sport.  I'll take the I'll believe it when I see it approach.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 22, 2015, 09:52:56 am
I just feel good about Devwah all the way around. I have been saying we get Whaley AND White for awhile now. When I end up correct, some of you nancy's owe me a badge or something. lol
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 22, 2015, 02:14:32 pm
Wait, wt f are you talking about? I never claimed Gruden was coming here you moron.

And , I AM right. Again.

Pokey's perfect record of inaccurate predictions stays in tact. He was wrong on Gruden twice and many, many other circumstances, including this one.

As I said at the time, even IF Whaley told our fans he was coming, it didn't make it anything close to a guarantee.

presidenthog

if this staff can't land a decent running back this will be a total failure.

JaketheSnake

Must be nice not having homework over Thanksgiving break.  Junior high must be hard.
Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 26, 2015, 08:38:55 pm
Pokey's perfect record of inaccurate predictions stays in tact. He was wrong on Gruden twice and many, many other circumstances, including this one.

As I said at the time, even IF Whaley told our fans he was coming, it didn't make it anything close to a guarantee.

20hog11

Quote from: redeye on November 26, 2015, 08:15:34 pm
It's all very odd.  Didn't he also say he'd wait a month and then silently commit somewhere?  And not announce it publicly until the UA game?

It also seemed like he was backing away from Georgia recently.

I fully believe he told our guys that Arkansas was his leader, but you never know what a recruit is going to do, so I'm not shocked.

Reminds of Monk a few weeks ago. He wasn't supposed to make a decision until the spring.... Guess you never really know what's going on with these kids. I think BB has done a good job of recruiting while he has been here, but given that his bread and butter is running the ball and having a strong oline, I'm surprised that we haven't had more success with rbs and the offensive line.

ChicoHog

So much for the Hogs being his leader.  Seems like he is having trouble making up his mind.  Maybe we can still flip him.  UGA does have a great RB history. 

IronHog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 26, 2015, 07:44:57 pm
How many 5* backs have te Hogs EVER LANDED?  How many out of state?  You think bc we land AC that they would just start flocking here? Even 4*... knile Davis was a 4* I believe, but we have not pulled a ton of 4* RBs from out of state. 

2-3* Arkansas backs usually end up being better

Yea I went there....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

NLRHog92

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 26, 2015, 09:03:10 pm
So much for the Hogs being his leader.  Seems like he is having trouble making up his mind.  Maybe we can still flip him.  UGA does have a great RB history.

So do we, thats why we were named RBU... All the backs at UGA get hurt it seems, but have had success in the NFL. We offer the chance to be the lead back next year. He won't beat out the other backs next year at UGA, but I guess he can go try. Maybe Richt will leave, who knows. Just tired of always get beat in recruiting.

Music City Hog

Quote from: reddogjcss on November 26, 2015, 07:02:55 pm
@ArRecruitingGuy: Whaley to Georgia: Running back Devwah Whaley has announced his commitment to Georgia on Twitter. https://t.co/BgLzmh8Q0r
Can't get them all, but glad our coaches are trying

Not only can't get them all, we can't get any of them...when it comes to RB

presidenthog

Quote from: IronHog on November 26, 2015, 09:09:17 pm

Yea I went there....
looks like we are going to have to take some of those 2-3* running backs from arkansas because we are going to strike out on everyone else.  :puke:

Pig in the Pokey

again, I never claimed Gruden was coming here. Not sure why you act like I am Duck or something. I never claimed darn. And, yeah, I'm shocked on Whaley.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 26, 2015, 08:48:12 pm
Must be nice not having homework over Thanksgiving break.  Junior high must be hard.
lol
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on November 26, 2015, 09:11:38 pm
Not only can't get them all, we can't get any of them...when it comes to RB

So, we won't sign a RB this year?

greenie

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 09:36:14 pm

Exactly.  Some people post only when there's a bump in the road.

redeye

No it doesn't, but I'll at least give Pokey credit for being positive and they say that's contagious.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 06:22:19 pm
I wonder if this kid is one of those who just tells the locals what they want to hear.

This really shouldn't be a shock if it's true that UGA has been his leader for most, if not all, of the recruiting process.

Devwah wasn't asked if he had a leader. He was asked how did the visit go and he said Arkansas was definitely his leader. That wasn't me or anyone else saying that. He did. Something changed in the last few days. What exactly I can't tell you. Devwah isn't the first kid to have a change of heart is a very short period of time. Happens all the time.

I don't expect Arkansas to stop recruiting him.

DeltaHog66

Nothing good to say for either side of this situation.. So I just won't say anything.  Except. :puke:

redeye

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 26, 2015, 09:50:25 pm
Devwah wasn't asked if he had a leader. He was asked how did the visit go and he said Arkansas was definitely his leader. That wasn't me or anyone else saying that. He did. Something changed in the last few days. What exactly I can't tell you. Devwah isn't the first kid to have a change of heart is a very short period of time. Happens all the time.

That's good to hear!

hog.goblin

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 06:59:38 pm
I'd say our recruiting has been better overall the last couple classes.  It's still bottom half of the SEC, no doubt, but better.  We don't have a program that can turn on a dime.  We'll have to largely rely on coaching, preparation, experience and limited attrition to bridge the gap.

Most reasonable thing I've read about Hog football in years

rtr

Quote from: IronHog on November 26, 2015, 09:09:17 pm

Yea I went there....
They are usually underrated.  Remember Mark Ingraham was a three star.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

whosiskid

Richard, if you are still on, do you know if White is trying to arrange an official to visit us? I'm really worried that his arranging an official with Bama might mean that they are the school he has said he thinks he wants to attend. Especially this worries me because the timing of his visit - Jan 22-24 - is right at the time where he plans to announce. It seems to me if he was uncertain he would visit all of the schools first and and then make a decision. But I'm fearing his mind is made up.

I'm not despairing, but this is looking more and more macabre. Bielema had a tremendous track record at Wisconsin recruiting backs, so I don't put this on him. Just the luck of the draw.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

jackflash

I don't know who the RB will be but the hogs will be able to run the ball. I have no doubt about this.

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 09:36:14 pm

No, we will.  It's just a matter of how deep we have to go down the list, but we certainly will. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Music City Hog on November 26, 2015, 10:09:40 pm
No, we will.  It's just a matter of how deep we have to go down the list, but we certainly will. 
Yeah. We are really deep... The coaches list is down to most likely still recruiting all of them. 

whosiskid

Quote from: rtr on November 26, 2015, 10:07:20 pm
They are usually underrated.

I don't think they are underrated. It is just that certain systems are better at producing productive backs, and Bielema's is one of those systems. We are going to produce a 1,000 yard rusher - perhaps two - next year regardless of who we get to play football for us. They may not be more talented, but we have a better system. If we had a better back, they would produce more yards than the less talented back, but the system will still create successful backs.

What our offense does is create opportunity. If we can't get a top tier back to take that opportunity, then a less talented back will be offered it. I've said this on other threads, but I expect that some back for Arkansas will have more yards than Whalley will if he goes to a school other than Arkansas. Also, we are more likely to have a back who will have more yards than Devin White if he goes elsewhere, though White is such a freak that he might get 1,000 yards somewhere else anyway. But White will have more yards at Arkansas next year than he would going elsewhere.

One other thing to keep in mind about Whalley: Richt apparently is thinking about leaving coaching for the ministry. That obviously will shake things up a lot.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: whosiskid on November 26, 2015, 10:07:47 pm
Richard, if you are still on, do you know if White is trying to arrange an official to visit us? I'm really worried that his arranging an official with Bama might mean that they are the school he has said he thinks he wants to attend. Especially this worries me because the timing of his visit - Jan 22-24 - is right at the time where he plans to announce. It seems to me if he was uncertain he would visit all of the schools first and and then make a decision. But I'm fearing his mind is made up.

I'm not despairing, but this is looking more and more macabre. Bielema had a tremendous track record at Wisconsin recruiting backs, so I don't put this on him. Just the luck of the draw.

I'm letting things calm down before asking him. Will check soon though.

Music City Hog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 26, 2015, 10:11:37 pm
Yeah. We are really deep... The coaches list is down to most likely still recruiting all of them. 

Recruiting all of them and signing all of them are two different things.  We will likely sign RBs that haven't even been offered yet. That's not a good thing. 

rtr

Any chance Arkansas would offer Damarea Crockett?
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

whosiskid

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 26, 2015, 10:49:18 pm
I'm letting things calm down before asking him. Will check soon though.

Thanks Richard!

The Hogfather

Must've been the thrilling overtime win against Georgia Southern.  I know, I know, at least they won.  So fricking disgusting.  Go get Porter, if we can.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 26, 2015, 08:48:12 pm
You are a comic genius, sir. And you are also a genius when it comes to hitting the "quote" button and writing underneath it.

redeye

Quote from: NLRHog92 on November 26, 2015, 09:10:48 pm
So do we, thats why we were named RBU... All the backs at UGA get hurt it seems, but have had success in the NFL.

I started to mention that, but then I remembered all the injuries we've suffered this year at RB.  In fairness, Jwill and Collins have been fairly injury free throughout most of their careers, RWIII had a freak injury due to being facemasked and Juan Day has pretty much been injured since high school (I can't remember how Kody was injured).  Georgia's has so many RB injuries that I'm not sure it's coincidental, though.

redeye

Quote from: Music City Hog on November 26, 2015, 11:00:40 pm
Recruiting all of them and signing all of them are two different things.  We will likely sign RBs that haven't even been offered yet. That's not a good thing.

Or it could turn out to be a great thing, because you just never know.

I doubt that Mark Ingram was #1 on Alabama's 2008 list, but he turned out alright.

Of course we always want our first choice, but there's no sense in worrying when it doesn't happen.

Flatline

I really expect Georgia and LSU to changes coaches at the end of the season and a lot of these guys will be back on the market.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2015, 06:44:50 pm
And don't think we don't have our own.
Really? Name them. There used to be one there were rumors about and he was small potatoes.

ARtillahog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2015, 07:26:34 am
Really? Name them. There used to be one there were rumors about and he was small potatoes.

Sir, why would our fans "dime" out a bagman for us?  If there even is one, they're pretty awful compared to the success of other programs against the Hogs as of late in the RB dept.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: razorhog52 on November 26, 2015, 07:52:13 pm
Nothing to say here. It's a need position and at this time out coaches aren't getting it done. However, there is a lot of time til February.

"It's a NEED position".....all of us know this.

So how can you say "at this time our coaches are not getting it done"...followed by "there's a lot of time till February"?

How do you know if we don't have some solid RB silent commits, and we are just trying to add the final touches?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HogimusMaximus

Missed out on a good one, next up.

mhuff

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 26, 2015, 09:50:25 pm

This is why Richard is a professional. He reports fact instead of sensationalism.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 27, 2015, 07:26:34 am

Are you saying we need better bagmen.

Philip Seaton

Look he is a talented running back. He had ample playing time laying in his lap and he didn't want it. Best of luck to him. If he doesn't want to be a Razorback, then so be it. He is a non-issue now, so who cares? There is a talented running back that will see the opportunity to be the NEXT in line of talented running backs to come from Arkansas, and they will take advantage of the opportunity. So as they saying goes, N-E-X-T!!!!

JoeyCapital

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on November 27, 2015, 08:09:25 am
Are you saying we need better bagmen.
Dude, why do you have a pic of my kid as your avi?
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: golf2day on November 27, 2015, 08:22:43 am
Dude, why do you have a pic of my kid as your avi?

Damn, have you had the avi for awhile.  I found it and thought it as great.  I might have to switch it up

770john111

JoeyCapital

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on November 27, 2015, 08:28:11 am
Damn, have you had the avi for awhile.  I found it and thought it as great.  I might have to switch it up
Yeah, 6 months or so. No worries.

Still makes me laugh every time I look at it.

Sorry for the derail.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ARtillahog on November 27, 2015, 07:29:14 am
Sir, why would our fans "dime" out a bagman for us?  If there even is one, they're pretty awful compared to the success of other programs against the Hogs as of late in the RB dept.
The point is he made an assumption with no real knowledge of what he was posting. Arkansas doesn't have a bag man. If they did I'd know about it. Stuff like that always gets around. At one time they had a guy who was a bagman wannbe. He was small potatoes. Some reporters started sniffing around trying to get some real facts on what he was doing and he shut it down.

What the guy could have posted as that all schools have boosters who do favors for certain players and maybe slip them some pocket money from time to time. A bag man is a guy who can deliver a recruit when other bagmen from other schools are also trying to deliver that recruit. That takes some serious cash and it has to be done in a smart way. Like a contribution to a certain church which has ties to the recruit or his parents or other family members.