Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Pennamon still listening or is he Ole Miss bound?

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, November 24, 2015, 01:00:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

His twitter account says "OLE MISS COMMITT !!!!".  Anyone think we still have a shot at him? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

colbs

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 24, 2015, 01:03:17 pm
So, we're still talking to him and he's interested?
I think he said he was going to wait after his HS FB season before he concentrated more on which school he is going to.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 24, 2015, 01:03:17 pm
So, we're still talking to him and he's interested?

Yes. He really enjoyed his visit as well. He is still very much in the mix according to all the recruitniks.

Pathological

he tweeted the other day only to #wps and #hottytoddy for people to go vote for him as player of the week in Texas or something like that.  Maybe reading too much into it, but since he tweeted two fan bases, maybe he's still open between us and ole miss. 

aloha_kid

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 24, 2015, 01:00:25 pm
His twitter account says "OLE MISS COMMITT !!!!".  Anyone think we still have a shot at him? 

He's been a Ole Miss commit since July.

http://247sports.com/Player/DVaughn-Pennamon-63313

redeye

I have no idea where we stand, but an Ole Miss fan on another board recently said he expected Pennamon to flip to us.

I hope he's right.   8)

whosiskid

I think the general feeling is that he would flip to us if we pushed hard. I think we may be waiting to see what Whalley and White do,

Pennamon had a monster game the other day, so he should be player of the week. He had over 300 yards rushing. His best game of the season.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

IBleedRazorbackRed

I think whaley and porter are higher on the wish list. If one of those guys go elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see pennamon flip

Hey Super

I hope he reads this - Ole Miss's leading rusher has 119 carries on the season 600 yards and 5 touchdowns. The other SEC leading rushers average 215-230 carries. Why would you want to go to a school where rushing the ball is an afterthought?

The topper for this is that Jaylen Walton is considered a talent in the SEC. They just don't use him.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Hoggish1

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 24, 2015, 05:40:32 pm
He's been a Ole Miss commit since July.

http://247sports.com/Player/DVaughn-Pennamon-63313

Is signing day today?

I think he's going to wait till February to make his final choice. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: whosiskid on November 25, 2015, 12:38:08 am
I think the general feeling is that he would flip to us if we pushed hard. I think we may be waiting to see what Whalley and White do,

Pennamon had a monster game the other day, so he should be player of the week. He had over 300 yards rushing. His best game of the season.

So we're still slow playing him?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

aloha_kid

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 25, 2015, 09:33:58 am
Is signing day today?

I think he's going to wait till February to make his final choice. 

I understand that.  The thread started out like there was some kind of news that he was committed to Ole Miss:

"His twitter account says "OLE MISS COMMITT !!!!"

My point was basically he's been that way for a long time. 

He can't sign today, no one can sign a football LOI right now.  Not sure where he stands academically, i.e. mid term graduate.

whosiskid

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 25, 2015, 09:38:31 am
So we're still slow playing him?

I don't think we are slow playing him. I think that he has been told that we are waiting to see what Whaley and White decide to do. I think both of those guys look like difference makers. Despite his legal problems, White is just such a freak of nature that you have to still pursue him.

I personally would love to go ahead and tell Pennamon to come. But we might have this backwards. Pennamon might only want to come if we sign only one more running back. Recruiting is really more like negotiating. Remember when Rafe Peavey almost decommitted when we were looking at other QBs in addition to him. He was talking to USC and a couple of other schools and stopped when we said he would be the only QB we would take that year. I think White is interested in us because we are going to take only one other running back. No doubt that the playing time we can offer is a huge consideration for all these kids. They know that if they come to Arkansas they will almost certainly become one of the leading rushers in the conference. If they go to Alabama they might not be able to beat out a Derrick Henry. Bama is great for whoever is the feature back, or maybe his main backup, but they don't try to get the ball to all their backs.

So I think it might be the case that we are waiting to see if we can get our main targets and Pennamon is waiting to see how deep things would be here. It doesn't address why anyone would go to Ole Miss where they pile up backs and none of them particularly excels, but we've all wondered what that is all about.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Oklahawg

Whosiskid, good post.

RB recruiting has a different dynamic than usual. It is NOT QB recruiting where you take one and are done.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Dominicanhog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 25, 2015, 09:23:26 am
I think whaley and porter are higher on the wish list. If one of those guys go elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see pennamon flip

those are the 2 I would like to have... I think in the long run White mves to LBer.

tophawg19

i think PENNAMON is my favorite even over Whaley . he has better moves and is much like A/C when it comes to making people miss . Also shows good hands out of the backfield . After watching both their video's he just seems more complete and able to do what we want . a perfect replacement for A/C Although he appears a bit faster . Whaley didn't show the ability to move in traffic as well but has good vision and power as well as speed . may be the better blocker. he reminded me more of JWILL. Can we have them both ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Country Stylz

I've been obsessed with Pennamon since the spring. He's a Faulk type slasher you guys. I don't think we are slow playing. We can't be that stupid.

whosiskid

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 25, 2015, 11:51:31 pm
I've been obsessed with Pennamon since the spring. He's a Faulk type slasher you guys. I don't think we are slow playing. We can't be that stupid.

Two words for you: Chris Daniels.

Daniels is the kid from Texas with deep Arkansas roots and a lot of family still here and who considers (or considered) himself to be a Razorback fan. 4 star DT. Good grades. We didn't go after him. Looks like he is going to commit to Oklahoma or possibly Texas A&M.

The staff has things that they are looking for that we aren't privy to. I can understand easily why they would want White over Pennamon. A behemoth with incredible speed and more incredible power. Probably the top Athlete (the designation for a player who would be exceptional at more than one position - he is probably the top linebacker prospect in the 2016 class, though he is adamant that he wants to be a running back in college) in the country (in the same way, some of the services had Darren McFadden as the #1 Athlete, since he was a highly rated running back but also rated the top Safety in the country - like White, McFadden just didn't want to be a defensive player). He looks like he will be the next Fournette, and he is an awful lot like a lot of the backs Bielema had at Wisconsin, only I think he is a better prospect than any of those guys.

Why Whalley over Pennamon? Mainly, I think, because he had gotten the job done more than Pennamon has. He'll end up with two 1,000 yard rushing seasons, while Pennamon will just have one. I am just speculating. But clearly they rate Whalley higher than Pennamon, and for that matter so does every recruiting service, while Whalley has a better offer list. Whalley is probably more suited to have 20 carries a game. And not surprisingly given that White outweighs him by 55 pounds, he is more nimble than White.

Personally, I want White probably as strongly as you want Pennamon. I think he would be a game changer. I think Pennamon is more suited to be a utility back, and I personally like TJ Hammond more than Pennamon. But what you and I want really is beside the point. The staff pretty clearly have identified White and Whalley as the two guys they want above all others.

Let me just had that there hasn't been any word as to whether White's arrest (which now seems to have been the girl's father catching White and his 18 year old friend messing around - consensually - with his fourteen year old daughter. She apparently wasn't interested in, to use the old turn of phrase, going all the way, so no actual intercourse was involved. But statutory rape in most states stops short of what acts were involved. All sorts of inappropriate activity falls under statutory rape umbrella and doesn't even have to involve nudity (and might not in this case as far as I know). In Arkansas, if a 19 year old makes out with a 15 year old, it is statutory rape, even if they are fully clothed. Anyway, no schools have been saying anything. I do think he will be going to Alabama, though. So it could well be that we turn to Whalley and Pennamon.

Hawginthecovers

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 25, 2015, 11:15:20 pm
i think PENNAMON is my favorite even over Whaley . he has better moves and is much like A/C when it comes to making people miss . Also shows good hands out of the backfield . After watching both their video's he just seems more complete and able to do what we want . a perfect replacement for A/C Although he appears a bit faster . Whaley didn't show the ability to move in traffic as well but has good vision and power as well as speed . may be the better blocker. he reminded me more of JWILL. Can we have them both ?

Been thinking the exact same thing for a while.  You hit it right on the head I think.  Even down to the blocking aspect.  If we get both somehow, we are set.  Man do we need to get these two JUCO linemen.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: whosiskid on November 25, 2015, 12:30:08 pm
I don't think we are slow playing him. I think that he has been told that we are waiting to see what Whaley and White decide to do. I think both of those guys look like difference makers. Despite his legal problems, White is just such a freak of nature that you have to still pursue him.

I personally would love to go ahead and tell Pennamon to come. But we might have this backwards. Pennamon might only want to come if we sign only one more running back. Recruiting is really more like negotiating. Remember when Rafe Peavey almost decommitted when we were looking at other QBs in addition to him. He was talking to USC and a couple of other schools and stopped when we said he would be the only QB we would take that year. I think White is interested in us because we are going to take only one other running back. No doubt that the playing time we can offer is a huge consideration for all these kids. They know that if they come to Arkansas they will almost certainly become one of the leading rushers in the conference. If they go to Alabama they might not be able to beat out a Derrick Henry. Bama is great for whoever is the feature back, or maybe his main backup, but they don't try to get the ball to all their backs.

So I think it might be the case that we are waiting to see if we can get our main targets and Pennamon is waiting to see how deep things would be here. It doesn't address why anyone would go to Ole Miss where they pile up backs and none of them particularly excels, but we've all wondered what that is all about.

You just described the slow play technique. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

JaketheSnake

It doesn't seem like we have "slowed played" many after having them come for an OV.  Either he knows his place in the pecking order or the offer is fully valid.  This staff doesn't seem to play the games like some others do.

jackflash

I don't think we know where White or Pennamon will sign until just before NSD.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jackflash on November 26, 2015, 12:18:51 pm
we better with Whaley off the board.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

mhuff

razorhog52

Quote from: jackflash on November 26, 2015, 12:18:51 pm

I don't want our best chance of a stud RB to be committed to another school.

Dominicanhog

KevinOMReb

Hope he stays.  Heck of a back.  He's the only one we're going after this year.
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

ricepig

Quote from: KevinOMReb on December 18, 2015, 04:57:02 pm

What happened with Mitchell, pass after his Achilles injury?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: KevinOMReb on December 18, 2015, 04:57:02 pm

??? You have 3 committed???

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: whosiskid on November 25, 2015, 12:30:08 pm

Any kid who even remotely entertains the "bait" from certain programs of being the "featured RB" needs to listen to AC's recent interview where he said he was ready to go for the bowl game because of the way that the Arkansas staff manages their RB's time on the field. You can still gain significant yards and have a chance to set records, but you don't get the dog beat out of you to the point that you are used up by the end of the season. Now he got more carries this year than expected simply because of J-Will's freak injury, but even then, others stepped up to take a certain percentage of snaps so that AC wouldn't be over-used.

There is wisdom in this. You don't want to be used up before you have a chance at the NFL where the hits are even harder and the hard hits are more frequent. You only get just so much time in your career and you would like to have some degree of longer term physical well being that remains when you go to the next level.
Go Hogs Go!

secneahog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 18, 2015, 05:19:38 pm
Any kid who even remotely entertains the "bait" from certain programs of being the "featured RB" needs to listen to AC's recent interview where he said he was ready to go for the bowl game because of the way that the Arkansas staff manages their RB's time on the field. You can still gain significant yards and have a chance to set records, but you don't get the dog beat out of you to the point that you are used up by the end of the season. Now he got more carries this year than expected simply because of J-Will's freak injury, but even then, others stepped up to take a certain percentage of snaps so that AC wouldn't be over-used.

There is wisdom in this. You don't want to be used up before you have a chance at the NFL where the hits are even harder and the hard hits are more frequent. You only get just so much time in your career and you would like to have some degree of longer term physical well being that remains when you go to the next level.

This.  If RW3 doesn't get hurt think about the reps he would have gotten more.

Pennamon isn't Whaley. Not even close. If he was he would be our #1 and Whaley would be #2.

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: secneahog on December 18, 2015, 05:44:04 pm
This.  If RW3 doesn't get hurt think about the reps he would have gotten more.

Pennamon isn't Whaley. Not even close. If he was he would be our #1 and Whaley would be #2.

I love it when fans say "not even close" lol

It that were true we wouldn't even be recruiting Pennamon. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 18, 2015, 06:22:12 pm
I love it when fans say "not even close" lol

It that were true we wouldn't even be recruiting Pennamon.
we're kinda not. we've been at our top 2 targets over and over. When was the last time arkansas was linked to pennamon? i dont see what everyone sees in the kid anyway tbh, but what do i know.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

greenie

FWIW...this past Wednesday, Pennamon received a crystal ball pick to Houston. 

Also, Denzel Mitchell doesn't appear to be committed any longer to OM... too bad...I hope they commit 10 RBs.

MuskogeeHogFan

It's difficult to say who is better than another. There is a slim margin of error. Who's to say how much better Derrick Henry is than the kid from Stanford, or both of them from Collins or J-Will? Or for that matter any of them compared to Fournette if he had our O-Line or that of Stanford or Alabama?

Circumstances, the teams you belong to and breaks at any given time and the difficulty of your schedule, can make stars or break stars and make one seem to be more invincible or more valuable than others.

By the same token, we may literally act like we worship one RB recruit or another more than the 3 or 4 others that we are recruiting because of recruiting rankings, but neither J-Will or Collins were top 10 RB's and they produced at a high level. How many of us would love to land another couple of kids that are comparable to them?
Go Hogs Go!

SRV

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 18, 2015, 06:28:03 pm
It's difficult to say who is better than another. There is a slim margin of error. Who's to say how much better Derrick Henry is than the kid from Stanford, or both of them from Collins or J-Will? Or for that matter any of them compared to Fournette if he had our O-Line or that of Stanford or Alabama?

Circumstances, the teams you belong to and breaks at any given time and the difficulty of your schedule, can make stars or break stars and make one seem to be more invincible or more valuable than others.

By the same token, we may literally act like we worship one RB recruit or another more than the 3 or 4 others that we are recruiting because of recruiting rankings, but neither J-Will or Collins were top 10 RB's and they produced at a high level. How many of us would love to land another couple of kids that are comparable to them?

I'll take two more just like them, please.

Woo pig!
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2015, 06:23:38 pm
we're kinda not. we've been at our top 2 targets over and over. When was the last time arkansas was linked to pennamon? i dont see what everyone sees in the kid anyway tbh, but what do i know.

Does that mean "not even close"?  Based on scheme you may be right but that doesn't mean one will have a better career than the other.  You people simple go by who you think we are recruiting the hardest.  Was Collins better than Henrey, before the season most said so and you may still think so.  It's a forgone conclusion that it won't turn out the way we think 3-4 years down the road.

BigSexyHog

90% of hogville thinks every recruit has interest or will sign with the hogs, of course 100% of them are always wrong.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

SPAL

tophawg19

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2015, 06:23:38 pm
He may well be the most complete back we are on. the kid can really run, has good vision , power , hands and blocks well . yeah, nothing special there SMH.

presidenthog

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 18, 2015, 08:44:42 pm
He may well be the most complete back we are on. the kid can really run, has good vision , power , hands and blocks well . yeah, nothing special there SMH.
well I think white and whaley are #1&#2 respectfully on our coaches big board. pennamon is a distant 3rd, in my eyes, to them since we aren't putting near the effort that we have with whaley and white. I also like them both better than pennamon.

tophawg19

WE DON'T HAVE THE LEAST IDEA WHAT THE COACHES ARE DOING. We only get what they let out. RD Knows more than he can say. The rest of us are strictly guessing . Also T.J Hammonds can run with any of them. he is more special than most realize

lumphog

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 18, 2015, 09:11:45 pm
WE DON'T HAVE THE LEAST IDEA WHAT THE COACHES ARE DOING. We only get what they let out. RD Knows more than he can say. The rest of us are strictly guessing . Also T.J Hammonds can run with any of them. he is more special than most realize
I LOVE HOMEGROWN!!!!!

tophawg19

I hope you don't think the coaches are releasing everything they are doing . Especially with kids committed to other schools . And if you are talking about T.J compare his video's to the others. he compares well and is a 4 star kid too

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 18, 2015, 06:28:03 pm

That kid had TWICE the yardage this year as Derrick Henry.TWICE. He should have won Heisman in a landslide.

And JWill was a 4* (just like White and Whaley) and Collins was a 5* (#1 RB) so I'm wondering why you would pick the lowest possible rating you could. 247 had Collins a 5* and they are the BEST service out there.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 18, 2015, 08:44:42 pm
i mean, MAYBE, but he's a 3* so not everyone sees what you see.