Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

. . . looking great for Garrett Bolles

Started by whosiskid, November 17, 2015, 05:57:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whosiskid

November 17, 2015, 05:57:49 pm Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:48:14 pm by whosiskid
Man, this really disappoints me. 247 has an article about how much Bolles enjoyed his visit at Michigan State, saying he instantly felt like a part of the team and the he felt it was "home." I know he still is going to visit us and maybe we can flip him, but he sounds like he is almost willing to commit to Michigan State right now. Of course, sometimes that afterglow from a visit can fade. He would start instantly at Arkansas. Hopefully Bielema and Pittman can play hard on how many guys they've put into the NFL, and on how many they might add to the NFL this spring (maybe Kirkland, Tretola, and Skipper in early rounds, Smothers in a later round? - but this won't help with this year's recruiting, though it could be huge next year). The one good sign is that he still seems intent on making his official in Fayetteville. And I think it benefits us that he may take more officials after that. We need some distance between the love he felt in Michigan. I really thought we might land him.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

jgphillips3

Yeah that doesn't sound great but as long as we get him here we have a chance to be just as impressive with our family atmosphere.

WaltonCollege

yeah been down on that all day after reading it but on the plus side it looks good with the other Juco, a guard from California Dwyane Wallace.  we still of course have a chance with Bolles with the Bielema/Pittman pedigree.

hawgXi

Don't forget CDE can speak from the voice of experience about being a spartan vs a hog.

Could be a difference maker

ldfergu

Quote from: hawgXi on November 17, 2015, 07:07:28 pm
Don't forget CDE can speak from the voice of experience about being a spartan vs a hog.

Could be a difference maker

That program has raved about CDE since his departure. I imagine he has a mutual respect for them and probably doesn't have a lot of bad words to say. Jmo

Bubba's Bruisers

So who else besides Wallace is in play for us?  Any actual HS recruits?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: whosiskid on November 17, 2015, 05:57:49 pm
Man, this really disappoints me. 247 has an article about how much Bolles enjoyed his visit at Michigan State, saying he instantly felt like a part of the team and the he felt it was "home." I know he still is going to visit us and maybe we can flip him, but he sounds like he is almost willing to commit to Michigan State right now. Of course, sometimes that afterglow from a visit can fade. He would start instantly at Arkansas. Hopefully Bielema and Pittman can play hard on how many guys they've put into the NFL, and on how many they might add to the NFL this spring (maybe Kirkland, Tretola, and Skipper in early rounds, Smothers in a later round? - but this won't help with this year's recruiting, though it could be huge next year). The one good sign is that he still seems intent on making his official in Fayetteville. And I think it benefits us that he may take more officials after that. We need some distance between the love he felt in Michigan. I really thought we might land him.

Link?
Go Hogs Go!

whosiskid

"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

redeye

I haven't read the story, yet, but this seems like old news.  Crystal balls have been flowing for him to MSU for the past week or more.  Definitely doesn't look good now, but we're still in the race.

ImHogginIt

Sounds a lot like what so many kids have said after visiting Arkansas only to commit elsewhere. I don't put much stock into these articles. They are gonna tell that schools recruiting reporters nothing but positive stuff from their visits.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

scruf

I really thought we might land him.
Did signing day already happen? Cheer up, Charlie.

Once he gets on campus things will change. Pittman will work his magic. I'd put $1000 bucks on Tretola hosting him and that will be huge (in every way). Arkansas still very much in the mix.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: scruf on November 18, 2015, 01:07:44 am

Once he gets on campus things will change. Pittman will work his magic. I'd put $1000 bucks on Tretola hosting him and that will be huge (in every way). Arkansas still very much in the mix.

I completely agree with this... Never count out CBB and Coach Pittman! Our O-Line is very special, something that Mr. Bolles will be drawn too as well. Once he figures out that he will have a WHOLE State treat him and his wife like Family for a lifetime combined with all of the other great things that the U of A has to offer. I have to think that he will land at Arkansas.

Also, the winters are a LOT less harsh in Fayetteville than in Michigan AND We have the Catfish Hole too!! Haha...

The_Boot_stops_here

Its been know for awhile that Bolles was an MSU lean. Pittman is a great recruiter but for some reason this year hasn't been as smooth

jjdlc

Never count out CBB and CSP when it comes to O-line. 

I've said verbiage very similar to Bolles' many times, and a lot of the times it's been at a place they don't end up at.  He is still visiting, so we have a pretty good chance, our coaches are pretty good when it comes to the whole family atmosphere thing.

jackflash

Lets wait until after he visit to see where we are. were going to have two more lineman drafted by the NfL this year I think. Plus I think the fans of the Razorbacks will make him feel at home

Vantage 8 dude

While I can see where his "love" of the MSU visit would be of some concern, let's at least let the young man conclude his trip to the Hill and determine how he feels before we just throw up our hands in resignation. I recall on more than one occasion in the past that a young man who was already committed/leaning toward another program changed his mind for our heroes after seeing the bright lights of Fayetteville and NWA.

whippersnapper

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 17, 2015, 07:13:47 pm
That program has raved about CDE since his departure. I imagine he has a mutual respect for them and probably doesn't have a lot of bad words to say. Jmo
He doesn't have to talk them down to explain how a recruit fits better with us.

Oklahawg

Good lord, more recruiting forum suicide watch material.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 18, 2015, 07:53:50 pm

And you've just contributed with more nonsense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Hoggish1

Quote from: scruf on November 18, 2015, 01:07:44 am

pigroots

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 18, 2015, 07:59:39 pm
And you've just contributed with more nonsense.

My job is to clean up after these goobers. If a single posts stops 10 more posts (which at that point makes the thread unreadable, if its not already) then I win.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

greenie

Otis just "crystal balled" Bolles to Arkansas. 

PorkRinds

Wildhog

I'd be surprised and very impressed if Pittman pulls Bolles.  He's supposed to be here next weekend, so that's a big step in the right direction!
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Bolles has that Andre the Giant look to him...

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 17, 2015, 07:19:15 pm
So who else besides Wallace is in play for us?  Any actual HS recruits?

Supposedly Pittman's on a few more kids and has kept it on the DL.  January should be very exciting for recruiting nerds like me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 20, 2015, 10:54:07 am
Bolles has that Andre the Giant look to him...

Soooo... He's related to OTR?! We got this then! ;)

I am very interested in how his visit goes next Weekend, but I am very confident in Coach Pitt and The Plan that he and CBB have for Bolles at Arkansas.

Wooo Pig!🐗🙌🏻

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on November 20, 2015, 10:56:01 am
Supposedly Pittman's on a few more kids and has kept it on the DL.  January should be very exciting for recruiting nerds like me.

Yep.  I'm pretty stoked to see how we end up.  It could get especially crazy with a few coaches on the hot seat, or rumored to be leaving. 

Bubba's Bruisers

whosiskid

I still think it will be hard to get Bolles, though I really hope we do. Of all the prospects we are after, I want Devin White most of all (even after his ill advised sexual escapades) and Bolles next.

Bolles sounds like he'd be an unqualified major pick up. For one thing, he is an exceptionally nice person, with a great set of values. Works hard in community service (just like Devin White will be, though Garrett does it uncoerced). Seems like a genuinely compassionate person. But another reason is that he was named the MVP in his division. I couldn't believe that when I heard it. The MVP was an offensive lineman? It is rare enough for a defensive lineman to win MVP, but for an offensive lineman? How good does a kid need to be to be named MVP merely through blocking people?

So I really hope we can win him over. He by every account utterly loved Michigan State, but it is a big thing that he didn't commit yet. I assume he is bringing his wife with him. We need to sell her on Fayetteville. He would fill a position of need. He is allegedly a better prospect than Tretola was. I'd settle for merely as good as Tretola turned out to be.

whosiskid

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2015, 04:36:44 pm
Is Bolles a 3 yrs to play 2 guy?

I don't know for sure, but I think we'd just play him right away so it wouldn't matter unless he got injured. Most juco services have him as the #1 offensive lineman in the country and some - I think RD may have said this, though I could be wrong - say he is the best offensive lineman to come out of the junior college ranks in years. If he is that good, I can't imagine we would even for a second think about redshirting him, since he would then be able to turn pro after his junior year.

I think we need a combo of getting a couple of great junior college kids AND for a couple of our top prospect of recent years to fulfill their potential. We need people like Merrick, who was redshirted, and Wallace, who hasn't played much as a redshirt freshman, to play well in the spring and then play well next fall. If Kirkland and Skipper turn pro, our most experienced offensive lineman would be Wallace, who has barely played, our second string center (though he has looked good), and a walk on tackle (though he could be given a scholarship this spring or summer). I expect the line to be filled with talented but inexperienced players, but if we don't get breaks in recruiting and if few of our current redshirts or Wallace don't play up to their potential, we could be in trouble on the line. I'm not worried yet, but getting someone like Bolles would go a long ways towards making me certain that I never would worry.

The_Hog_Father

For what it's worth, Otis made a CB pick for Bolles to The U of A 11/20/15 10:11AM.

I like that he's coming in around the Thanksgiving holidays, I hope this goes our way. We really need him!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: whosiskid on November 17, 2015, 09:34:13 pm
Go to 247. It is one of the lead stories.

Common freaking courtesy man!!! Just like flushing you stinking turd down as soon as it hits the water in a public restroom;  you always always always link the article you're posting about!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

whosiskid

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 22, 2015, 04:42:17 am
Common freaking courtesy man!!! Just like flushing you stinking turd down as soon as it hits the water in a public restroom;  you always always always link the article you're posting about!!

Not always. Not when it is three hours past your bedtime and you suffer from a severe sleep disorder. I saw the question when I felt I could finally fall asleep and I was anxious to see if I could perhaps manage 4 hours of sleep, which would be the most I would have had all week. Look at the time stamp on the post. I had gone to bed earlier, realized I couldn't sleep, and got up to read for a few minutes before trying to go back to bed.

So I really think I deserve an apology. I really do think that real life issues have the right to trump a not-always-followed rule that is frequently ignored that you seem arbitrarily want to have used to bash me over the head. In the best of all possible worlds perhaps I should have provided a link but it is uncool to absolutize. Given that I just wanted to crawl back into bed I think I did well by explaining, clearly, where the info could be found. Do you seriously think that an experienced HV poster could not have found the info from the info I provided? Like I said, you post is uncalled for and given the context tremendously unfair. It isn't like you. You are usually a better poster than that. And you weren't posting at 3:00 am. Seriously, I didn't deserve your bash.

pigtrino

Quote from: whosiskid on November 22, 2015, 01:34:46 pm
Not always. Not when it is three hours past your bedtime and you suffer from a severe sleep disorder. I saw the question when I felt I could finally fall asleep and I was anxious to see if I could perhaps manage 4 hours of sleep, which would be the most I would have had all week. Look at the time stamp on the post. I had gone to bed earlier, realized I couldn't sleep, and got up to read for a few minutes before trying to go back to bed.

So I really think I deserve an apology. I really do think that real life issues have the right to trump a not-always-followed rule that is frequently ignored that you seem arbitrarily want to have used to bash me over the head. In the best of all possible worlds perhaps I should have provided a link but it is uncool to absolutize. Given that I just wanted to crawl back into bed I think I did well by explaining, clearly, where the info could be found. Do you seriously think that an experienced HV poster could not have found the info from the info I provided? Like I said, you post is uncalled for and given the context tremendously unfair. It isn't like you. You are usually a better poster than that. And you weren't posting at 3:00 am. Seriously, I didn't deserve your bash.

Hate to change the topic but, if you are having trouble sleeping, staring at a light-emitting screen anywhere near bedtime or during your desired sleep period is a bad idea.

whosiskid

Quote from: pigtrino on November 22, 2015, 05:17:02 pm
Hate to change the topic but, if you are having trouble sleeping, staring at a light-emitting screen anywhere near bedtime or during your desired sleep period is a bad idea.

I know. They definitely recommend against it. But sometimes I just don't want to read, which is the preferred activity. It is a frakkin' curse for sure.

I actually have been sleeping a little bit better, but I also suffer from narcoleptic symptoms. You can't see where it happens on posts, but I've probably fallen asleep in the middle of half the posts I've made. It really does suck all the joy out of life.

PorkRinds

Quote from: whosiskid on November 22, 2015, 08:13:56 pm
I know. They definitely recommend against it. But sometimes I just don't want to read, which is the preferred activity. It is a frakkin' curse for sure.

I actually have been sleeping a little bit better, but I also suffer from narcoleptic symptoms. You can't see where it happens on posts, but I've probably fallen asleep in the middle of half the posts I've made. It really does suck all the joy out of life.

Heck as long as your posts are you shouldn't feel bad. I fall asleep half way through most of them too!!   :)

pigtrino

Quote from: whosiskid on November 22, 2015, 08:13:56 pm

There is reasonable data to suggest "blue blockers" may help.  They limit the amount of blue wavelength light that enters your eyes.  Blue is the wavelength that has the greatest effect on your circadian system.

The real Hogules

Bolles is a must get!

He blocks until the whistle blows and if he knocks his guy down he finds someone else to punish.
I like this kid a LOT!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

whosiskid

Quote from: pigtrino on November 23, 2015, 09:09:12 am
There is reasonable data to suggest "blue blockers" may help.  They limit the amount of blue wavelength light that enters your eyes.  Blue is the wavelength that has the greatest effect on your circadian system.

I have some computer glasses, but I keep forgetting to use them. The second I put them on I can feel my eyes relax some, so I know that I should use them. They really do make a difference.

flagstaffhog

Hmmmm, can you buy blue blockers at Wal-Mart?

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

whosiskid

Quote from: flagstaffhog on November 24, 2015, 03:26:11 pm
Hmmmm, can you buy blue blockers at Wal-Mart?

Go HOGS Go!

I think so, though the ones I got were Gunnar's, intended for computer use. I would recommend getting blu-blockers specifically for computers because they make the stems out of flexible rubber, which means they don't irritate your ears even after several hours on a computer. They are amazingly comfortable. Gunnar's are one of the top of the line brands, though you can get others. You can also get blu-blocker clip ons, in case you wear glasses and spend too much time playing video games (like I do - too many hours playing Fallout 4 the past three weeks - I get a kick out of the latter because my German Shepherd [see photo on left] sleeps with his head on my foot and I have a nearly identical German Shepherd as a companion during the game - I really like having a gorgeous German Shepherd in a game, but I sort of miss Dogmeat from Fallout 3).

Smokehouse

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 18, 2015, 07:53:50 pm

The recruiting forum is bi-polar, we're simultaneously getting poaching everyone else's recruits/landing secret visitors and losing all of our recruits. Jump Ball has anger issues and MMQB has is schizophrenic.

At least we'll always have Extra Innings.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Razorpigg

colbs

Quote from: Razorpigg on November 25, 2015, 11:10:12 am
Any newer info on Bolles?
He is visiting for the Missouri game.  I think RD said he will be arriving tomorrow.

Razorpigg

Quote from: colbs on November 25, 2015, 11:12:31 am
He is visiting for the Missouri game.  I think RD said he will be arriving tomorrow.

Thanks bud.  We could use this guy